copying files OS X to OS 9

I have at times needed to copy files from my Powerbook with OS X to my
8600 with OS 9. The files are usually ones that originated from a third
party, but don't need to go back to them. Not infrequently, the file
names are too long to be supporteed by OS 9, and I get an error during
the copying process, which then stops.

Is there some way--a utility or somesuch--to have the file name
automatically shortened during copying? I'm copying 100+ at a time, in
multiple folders, so renaming them one by one is a PITA.

please mail OT responses only
-1
Scott

Scott <heimdall@spamless.invalid> wrote:

> I have at times needed to copy files from my Powerbook with OS X to my
> 8600 with OS 9. The files are usually ones that originated from a third
> party, but don't need to go back to them. Not infrequently, the file
> names are too long to be supporteed by OS 9, and I get an error during
> the copying process, which then stops.
>
> Is there some way--a utility or somesuch--to have the file name
> automatically shortened during copying? I'm copying 100+ at a time, in
> multiple folders, so renaming them one by one is a PITA.

I copy filed between OS X and OS 9 all the time and have never had this
problem. It is not OS 9 that's to blame, since OS 9 is long-name-savvy.
Perhaps the trouble is that you're using filesharing, mounting the OS 9
machine on the OS X machine, because AppleTalk doesn't "publish" OS 9's
long-name-savviness. If you do it the other way around (mount the OS X
machine on the OS 9 machine) it should work, because the OS 9 will see
the files as having shortened names to start with. m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = matt@tidbits.com, http://www.tidbits.com/matt/
-1