Cubase MIDI question

I am using a Macintosh G4
with Cubase SX.

A while back I was using Cubase and
recording music tracks using my
headphones to monitor.

I am working with MIDI now and I can not get
any sound to my earphones or external
speakers. I am using Firewire Solo by M-Audio
this is were I connect the head phones.

In the Device Setup panel I have not connected
with "no selection" for the MIDI outputs,
I figure this must be the problem but still,... am
not sure.

I have 3 Cubase  books and still cant get this right,

Thanks

Kevin

--
http://www.duggan.tv

http://www.kevsblues.com
comp.sys.mac.apps 21416 articles. 2 followers. xxx613 (1334) is leader. Post Follow

Hei Kevin

I'm not a MIDI 'knowing', but logically I will go to 'System=20
Preferences' -> Sound -> Output and select the MIDI out from there, if=20
you wanna hear directly from the Solo headphone connector. - Or if=20
through connected speakers through the built-in headphone jack on the=20
computer, A'd set the sound output to use 'Headphones/'External=20
speakers'. - Also I will check that the 'Don't play through' or 'mute'=20
checkbox is unchecked...

HTH, Cheers, Erik Richard

Kevin Duggan wrote:
> I am using a Macintosh G4
> with Cubase SX.
>=20
> A while back I was using Cubase and=20
> recording music tracks using my
> headphones to monitor.
>=20
> I am working with MIDI now and I can not get
> any sound to my earphones or external=20
> speakers. I am using Firewire Solo by M-Audio
> this is were I connect the head phones.
>=20
> In the Device Setup panel I have not connected
> with "no selection" for the MIDI outputs,
> I figure this must be the problem but still,... am
> not sure.
>=20
> I have 3 Cubase  books and still cant get this right,

--=20
KMLDenmark by Erik Richard S=F8rensen, Member of ADC
<kmldenmark_NOSP@M_stofanet.dk>
*Music Recording, Editing & Publishing - Also Smaller Quantities
*Software - For Theological Education - And For Physically Impaired
*Nisus - The Future in Text & Mail Processing <http://www.nisus.com>
ISO
12/1/2006 2:30:13 AM
On 2006-11-30 18:16:56 -0800, Kevin Duggan <kevin_duggan@REMOVE.uml.edu> said:

> A while back I was using Cubase and recording music tracks using my
> headphones to monitor.
>
> I am working with MIDI now and I can not get
> any sound to my earphones or external speakers. I am using Firewire
> Solo by M-Audio this is were I connect the head phones.

Have you ever successfully monitored through the Firewire Solo?  I ask
this because I don't think your problem is in the midi set-up but
possibly in the Firewire set-up.

Are you running iTunes through the Solo and on to your studio
monitoring?  If so, is this operable.  Have you ever heard *anything*
out of your headsets with the Solo?

> In the Device Setup panel I have not connected with "no selection" for
> the MIDI outputs,

I can't quite parse that sentence.  If you're using midi that's fine.
But midi doesn't produce audio until it does out the computer, into a
synth, triggers the synth and then produces audio.  THIS audio is then
either forwarded to the Solo or to your mixboard and then on to the
Solo and so forth.

The Solo doesn't not route or "listen" to midi signal. It is an
analog/digital audio converter.

Try your question again.
--
Thank you and have a nice day.

0
gtr
12/1/2006 7:37:36 PM
In article <2006120111373616807-xxx@yyyzzz>, gtr <xxx@yyy.zzz> wrote:

> On 2006-11-30 18:16:56 -0800, Kevin Duggan <kevin_duggan@REMOVE.uml.edu> said:
>
> > A while back I was using Cubase and recording music tracks using my
> > headphones to monitor.
> >
> > I am working with MIDI now and I can not get
> > any sound to my earphones or external speakers. I am using Firewire
> > Solo by M-Audio this is were I connect the head phones.
>
> Have you ever successfully monitored through the Firewire Solo?  I ask
> this because I don't think your problem is in the midi set-up but
> possibly in the Firewire set-up.

I have, I would like to just be able to hear the sound
thru the external speakers if possible.

> Are you running iTunes through the Solo and on to your studio
> monitoring?  If so, is this operable.  Have you ever heard *anything*
> out of your headsets with the Solo?

I just created a track on Garage Band and was able
to hear the loops thru Firewire solo

> > In the Device Setup panel I have not connected with "no selection" for
> > the MIDI outputs,
>
> I can't quite parse that sentence.  If you're using midi that's fine.
> But midi doesn't produce audio until it does out the computer, into a
> synth, triggers the synth and then produces audio.  THIS audio is then
> either forwarded to the Solo or to your mixboard and then on to the
> Solo and so forth.

Under the "Setup" drop down, there is a selection at the bottom
called "Device Setup"

This has a selection called "Midi Ports"
for the output there is one selection that says
"no selection" the input I put at
"Any Channel"

Thanks for your help

Kevin

--
http://www.duggan.tv

http://www.kevsblues.com
0
Kevin
12/2/2006 5:11:45 PM
On 2006-12-02 09:11:45 -0800, Kevin Duggan <kevin_duggan@REMOVE.uml.edu> said:

>> Are you running iTunes through the Solo and on to your studio
>> monitoring?  If so, is this operable.  Have you ever heard *anything*
>> out of your headsets with the Solo?
>
> I just created a track on Garage Band and was able
> to hear the loops thru Firewire solo.

Fine, you apparently have the thing hooked up appropriately.

>>> In the Device Setup panel I have not connected with "no selection" for
>>> the MIDI outputs,
>>
>> I can't quite parse that sentence.  If you're using midi that's fine.
>> But midi doesn't produce audio until it does out the computer, into a
>> synth, triggers the synth and then produces audio.  THIS audio is then
>> either forwarded to the Solo or to your mixboard and then on to the
>> Solo and so forth.
>
> Under the "Setup" drop down, there is a selection at the bottom
> called "Device Setup"
>
> This has a selection called "Midi Ports"
> for the output there is one selection that says
> "no selection" the input I put at "Any Channel"

You haven't mentioned whether you have a midi device connected. Which
midi synth is connected, and what interface are you using to send
midi-data out to it?

I have an Alesis midi keyboard and am communicating with it via a
M-Audio MIDISport which is connected to a US port.  I run a sequencer,
load a midi file, play the sequence in that program.  It produces
midi-data that goes out the usb port, through the M-Audio interface and
off to my synth.  The synth begins playing.  It's audio is then routed
out to my mixer.  I play the mixer through some speakers.

You can see that the audio, to this point, doesn't exist until it gets
to the mixer.  The mixer is then routed BACK into the Firewire Solo
soundcard and routed back INTO my computer where I can record it,
examine it, or whatever. But it's not until it is coming back into my
computer as audio that the Solo would have any connection to it.

Do you follow?
--
Thank you and have a nice day.

0
gtr
12/2/2006 7:25:12 PM

> >> Are you running iTunes through the Solo and on to your studio
> >> monitoring?  If so, is this operable.  Have you ever heard *anything*
> >> out of your headsets with the Solo?
> >
> > I just created a track on Garage Band and was able
> > to hear the loops thru Firewire solo.
>
> Fine, you apparently have the thing hooked up appropriately.

> >> I can't quite parse that sentence.  If you're using midi that's fine.
> >> But midi doesn't produce audio until it does out the computer, into a
> >> synth, triggers the synth and then produces audio.  THIS audio is then
> >> either forwarded to the Solo or to your mixboard and then on to the
> >> Solo and so forth.
> >
> > Under the "Setup" drop down, there is a selection at the bottom
> > called "Device Setup"
> >
> > This has a selection called "Midi Ports"
> > for the output there is one selection that says
> > "no selection" the input I put at "Any Channel"
>
> You haven't mentioned whether you have a midi device connected. Which
> midi synth is connected, and what interface are you using to send
> midi-data out to it?

I do not have a midi device hooked up,
I have some type of intermediary device
to hook up my Keyboard when I use it, this is
something that cost me 50.00,.....
I believe this is the MIDIsport.

It was a mistake not
buying the M-Audio w/ the Midi
functionality.

I have the midi file in Cubase I can edit it,
I just want to hear it

Should I hook up my MIDIsport,
which I guess would involve
hooking up the keyboard also.

Thanks for your help

Kevin

--
http://www.duggan.tv

http://www.kevsblues.com
0
Kevin
12/3/2006 1:12:06 PM
On 2006-12-03 05:12:06 -0800, Kevin Duggan <kevin_duggan@REMOVE.uml.edu> said:

>> You haven't mentioned whether you have a midi device connected. Which
>> midi synth is connected, and what interface are you using to send
>> midi-data out to it?
>
> I do not have a midi device hooked up, I have some type of intermediary
> device to hook up my Keyboard when I use it, this is something that
> cost me 50.00,..... I believe this is the MIDIsport.

The intermediary device is a midi-interface. You can send midi data to
and from your computer with this device.

> It was a mistake not buying the M-Audio w/ the Midi functionality.

I'm not sure why.  I have the exact same set-up, a Midi Sport and a
FireWire Solo.  Works fine for me.  But then, I have a midi keyboard or
two.

> I have the midi file in Cubase I can edit it, I just want to hear it.

Assuming the file is a stock midi file, not a special format used for
reading and writing by Cubase, Logic or other applicaions, you can drag
the file on to your QuickTime Player application and it will play.  If
it is a .cub or .log file or some such, you can load it into Cubase or
Logic and "export" it to a regular midi file (or .mid) and drage THAT
to Quicktime.

The FireWire is unrelated to you hearing a midi-file played back from
your computer.

> Should I hook up my MIDIsport, which I guess would involve hooking up
> the keyboard also.

Is the "keyboard" a midi synth that you can plug into an amplifier,
without computer, mixboard or anything else, and hear sounds?  If so, I
would hook it up in conjunction with the MidiSport and get it working.
Bear in mind that at no point does the midi data intersect your
FireWire Solo.  The FWSolo is an AUDIO analog/digital data converter
not a midi data interface.  They are two different spectrums.

>> I have an Alesis midi keyboard and am communicating with it via a
>> M-Audio MIDISport which is connected to a US port. I run a sequencer,
>> load a midi file, play the sequence in that program. It produces
>> midi-data that goes out the usb port, through the M-Audio interface and
>> off to my synth. The synth begins playing. It's audio is then routed
>> out to my mixer. I play the mixer through some speakers.
>>
>> You can see that the audio, to this point, doesn't exist until it gets
>> to the mixer. The mixer is then routed BACK into the Firewire Solo
>> soundcard and routed back INTO my computer where I can record it,
>> examine it, or whatever. But it's not until it is coming back into my
>> computer as audio that the Solo would have any connection to it.
>>
>> Do you follow?

Did you follow that?

--
Thank you and have a nice day.