Datebook/Datebook Pro version 3 or 4?

Hello guys,

I'm trying to help a user migrate their calendar data from Datebook Pro 2.0=
 which is of course ANCIENT software from 1993 and they've been running it =
via Mac Classic since then. Just recently they finally gave up on their eMa=
c PowerPC G4 and switched over to a Macbook Air.

I have versions of Now Up-To-Date (the successor of Datebook) all the way b=
ack to 3.6.5 but the oldest format it will import is Datebook 3.0.

I think I saw some copies of the CD of Datebook Pro 4.2 being sold on Amazo=
n but I don't even now if that version will import 2.0 and whether I have t=
o have Datebook 3.0 to actually import the data.

With Now software out of business does anybody have an abandonware copy of =
Datebook 3.0 or know how I can locate one?

Thanks.

0
Evolution
12/20/2016 7:10:48 PM
comp.sys.mac.apps 21416 articles. 2 followers. xxx613 (1334) is leader. Post Follow

On 2016-12-20, Evolution Kakumei <evolutionkakumei@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello guys,
>
> I'm trying to help a user migrate their calendar data from Datebook
> Pro 2.0 which is of course ANCIENT software from 1993 and they've been
> running it via Mac Classic since then. Just recently they finally gave
> up on their eMac PowerPC G4 and switched over to a Macbook Air.
>
> I have versions of Now Up-To-Date (the successor of Datebook) all the
> way back to 3.6.5 but the oldest format it will import is Datebook
> 3.0.
>
> I think I saw some copies of the CD of Datebook Pro 4.2 being sold on
> Amazon but I don't even now if that version will import 2.0 and
> whether I have to have Datebook 3.0 to actually import the data.
>
> With Now software out of business does anybody have an abandonware
> copy of Datebook 3.0 or know how I can locate one?

I'm not familiar with "Datebook", but if this is the one you are talking
about, you can apparently run it in SheepShaver:

<http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/datebook-pro-201-touchbase-pro-301>

So you could set up SheepShaver on the new computer to emulate Mac OS
8.1 (or earlier), transfer the Datebook data files to SheepShaver, and
use the Datebook app to export the information to a suitable format for
import into the macOS Contacts application (vCard would be suitable, for
instance). Once you have vCards, importing them into Contacts is as
simple as opening the vCard files or dragging and dropping them onto the
Contacts icon. Those of us in this news group who are familiar with
SheepShaver can help you with that setup if needed.

JR
0
Jolly
12/20/2016 8:34:02 PM
In article <ebtitqFf4b2U1@mid.individual.net>,
 Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:

> On 2016-12-20, Evolution Kakumei <evolutionkakumei@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello guys,
> >
> > I'm trying to help a user migrate their calendar data from Datebook
> > Pro 2.0 which is of course ANCIENT software from 1993 and they've been
> > running it via Mac Classic since then. Just recently they finally gave
> > up on their eMac PowerPC G4 and switched over to a Macbook Air.
> >
> > I have versions of Now Up-To-Date (the successor of Datebook) all the
> > way back to 3.6.5 but the oldest format it will import is Datebook
> > 3.0.
> >
> > I think I saw some copies of the CD of Datebook Pro 4.2 being sold on
> > Amazon but I don't even now if that version will import 2.0 and
> > whether I have to have Datebook 3.0 to actually import the data.
> >
> > With Now software out of business does anybody have an abandonware
> > copy of Datebook 3.0 or know how I can locate one?
>
> I'm not familiar with "Datebook", but if this is the one you are talking
> about, you can apparently run it in SheepShaver:
>
> <http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/datebook-pro-201-touchbase-pro-301>
>
> So you could set up SheepShaver on the new computer to emulate Mac OS
> 8.1 (or earlier), transfer the Datebook data files to SheepShaver, and
> use the Datebook app to export the information to a suitable format for
> import into the macOS Contacts application (vCard would be suitable, for
> instance). Once you have vCards, importing them into Contacts is as
> simple as opening the vCard files or dragging and dropping them onto the
> Contacts icon. Those of us in this news group who are familiar with
> SheepShaver can help you with that setup if needed.

and why should I setup an environment to handle vCards if it is
calendars I'd like to have on the modern system?

--
MacAndreas Rutishauser, <http://www.MacAndreas.ch>
EDV-Dienstleistungen, Hard- und Software, Internet und Netzwerk
Andreas Rutishauser <andreas@macandreas.ch> wrote:
> In article <ebtitqFf4b2U1@mid.individual.net>,
>  Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2016-12-20, Evolution Kakumei <evolutionkakumei@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hello guys,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to help a user migrate their calendar data from Datebook
>>> Pro 2.0 which is of course ANCIENT software from 1993 and they've been
>>> running it via Mac Classic since then. Just recently they finally gave
>>> up on their eMac PowerPC G4 and switched over to a Macbook Air.
>>>
>>> I have versions of Now Up-To-Date (the successor of Datebook) all the
>>> way back to 3.6.5 but the oldest format it will import is Datebook
>>> 3.0.
>>>
>>> I think I saw some copies of the CD of Datebook Pro 4.2 being sold on
>>> Amazon but I don't even now if that version will import 2.0 and
>>> whether I have to have Datebook 3.0 to actually import the data.
>>>
>>> With Now software out of business does anybody have an abandonware
>>> copy of Datebook 3.0 or know how I can locate one?
>>
>> I'm not familiar with "Datebook", but if this is the one you are talking
>> about, you can apparently run it in SheepShaver:
>>
>> <http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/datebook-pro-201-touchbase-pro-301>
>>
>> So you could set up SheepShaver on the new computer to emulate Mac OS
>> 8.1 (or earlier), transfer the Datebook data files to SheepShaver, and
>> use the Datebook app to export the information to a suitable format for
>> import into the macOS Contacts application (vCard would be suitable, for
>> instance). Once you have vCards, importing them into Contacts is as
>> simple as opening the vCard files or dragging and dropping them onto the
>> Contacts icon. Those of us in this news group who are familiar with
>> SheepShaver can help you with that setup if needed.
>
> and why should I setup an environment to handle vCards if it is
> calendars I'd like to have on the modern system?

I mistakenly thought this was about contacts, but the objective is still
the same: run the old software in an emulator so you can export the data to
a format you can use in the Calendar application.

JR
0
Jolly