f



Editing mail in Mail.app

I asked this a long time ago and there wasn't a way to do it.  Is there 
a way yet?  Sometimes I want to save just part of a mail item and I want 
to remove all the clutter.  This is easy in Windows.  I don't know why 
it is seemingly impossible in OS X.

-- 
Robert B. Peirce, Venetia, PA  724-941-6883
bob AT peirce-family.com [Mac]
rbp AT cooksonpeirce.com [Office]

0
Robert
2/10/2008 8:56:16 PM
comp.sys.mac.apps 21416 articles. 3 followers. xxx613 (1334) is leader. Post Follow

20 Replies
738 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 54

In article <bob-F86E3E.15561610022008@news.verizon.net>,
 Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com.invalid> wrote:

> I asked this a long time ago and there wasn't a way to do it.  Is there 
> a way yet?  Sometimes I want to save just part of a mail item and I want 
> to remove all the clutter.  This is easy in Windows.  I don't know why 
> it is seemingly impossible in OS X.

I don't know but I would think altering the original of something that 
someone else wrote would be frowned upon.

-- 
Tom Stiller

PGP fingerprint =  5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3  7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
0
Tom
2/10/2008 9:13:28 PM
Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com.invalid> wrote:

> I asked this a long time ago and there wasn't a way to do it.  Is there
> a way yet?  Sometimes I want to save just part of a mail item and I want
> to remove all the clutter.  This is easy in Windows.  I don't know why
> it is seemingly impossible in OS X.

The only way I know of is a bit non-intuitive, and has some side
effects, but...

Move the message to drafts. Then you can edit it as a draft, followed by
moving it back.

The main annoying side effect is that it will end up showing as being
from yourself.

As for the bit about being non-intuitive.... I presume that to be
obvious. :-)

-- 
Richard Maine                    | Good judgement comes from experience;
email: last name at domain . net | experience comes from bad judgement.
domain: summertriangle           |  -- Mark Twain
0
nospam
2/10/2008 10:02:17 PM
In article <bob-F86E3E.15561610022008@news.verizon.net>,
 Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com.invalid> wrote:

> I asked this a long time ago and there wasn't a way to do it.  Is there 
> a way yet?

No.

>  Sometimes I want to save just part of a mail item and I want 
> to remove all the clutter.  This is easy in Windows.  I don't know why 
> it is seemingly impossible in OS X.

It's not impossible in OS X, it's impossible in Mail.app.

-- 
Bart: This is the worst day of my life.
Homer: This is the worst day of your life SO FAR.
0
Lewis
2/10/2008 10:05:49 PM
In article <bob-F86E3E.15561610022008@news.verizon.net>,
 Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com.invalid> wrote:

> I asked this a long time ago and there wasn't a way to do it.  Is there 
> a way yet?  Sometimes I want to save just part of a mail item and I want 
> to remove all the clutter.  This is easy in Windows.  I don't know why 
> it is seemingly impossible in OS X.

Microsoft Entourage lets you edit messages.

-- 
Note: Please send all responses to the relevant news group. If you 
must contact me through e-mail, let me know when you send email to 
this address so that your email doesn't get eaten by my SPAM filter.

JR
0
Jolly
2/10/2008 10:13:08 PM
Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com.invalid> wrote:

> I asked this a long time ago and there wasn't a way to do it.  Is there
> a way yet?  Sometimes I want to save just part of a mail item and I want
> to remove all the clutter.  This is easy in Windows.  I don't know why
> it is seemingly impossible in OS X.

It's not a general Mac OS vs Windows issue at all.  Rather, it's a
Mail.app vs. whatever mail client you're talking about in Windows issue.
The Mac versions of Eudora 6.x and earlier let you edit incoming
messages.  This is no longer the case with Eudora 8, though, which I
believe is actually Thunderbird incognito.

-- 
<http://designsbymike.net/shop/mac.cgi> Mac and geek T-shirts & gifts
<http://designsbymike.net/shop/musings.cgi> Muckraking T-shirts
<http://designsbymike.net/shop/prius.cgi> Prius shirts/bumper stickers
<http://bogart-tribute.net> Tribute to Humphrey Bogart
0
mikePOST
2/10/2008 10:15:54 PM
In article <tomstiller-A27F29.16132810022008@newsgroups.comcast.net>,
 Tom Stiller <tomstiller@comcast.net> wrote:

> In article <bob-F86E3E.15561610022008@news.verizon.net>,
>  Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com.invalid> wrote:
> 
> > I asked this a long time ago and there wasn't a way to do it.  Is there 
> > a way yet?  Sometimes I want to save just part of a mail item and I want 
> > to remove all the clutter.  This is easy in Windows.  I don't know why 
> > it is seemingly impossible in OS X.
> 
> I don't know but I would think altering the original of something that 
> someone else wrote would be frowned upon.

Sod that. It's been sent to me therefore it belongs to me. This is one 
of the main reasons I use Eudora.

I get fed up with receiving mails from klods that are badly formatted or 
contain crap. It's nice to be able to edit it all out.
0
Tim
2/10/2008 10:16:57 PM
In article <1ic3u6x.1f7rit49ipgmeN%mikePOST@TOGROUPmacconsult.com>,
 mikePOST@TOGROUPmacconsult.com (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:

> Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com.invalid> wrote:
> 
> > I asked this a long time ago and there wasn't a way to do it.  Is there
> > a way yet?  Sometimes I want to save just part of a mail item and I want
> > to remove all the clutter.  This is easy in Windows.  I don't know why
> > it is seemingly impossible in OS X.
> 
> It's not a general Mac OS vs Windows issue at all.  Rather, it's a
> Mail.app vs. whatever mail client you're talking about in Windows issue.
> The Mac versions of Eudora 6.x and earlier let you edit incoming
> messages.  This is no longer the case with Eudora 8, though, which I
> believe is actually Thunderbird incognito.

That's a mark against it then. You can't do it with MailSmith either.
0
Tim
2/10/2008 10:19:45 PM
In <bob-F86E3E.15561610022008@news.verizon.net>, Robert Peirce wrote:

> I asked this a long time ago and there wasn't a way to do it.  Is there
> a way yet?  Sometimes I want to save just part of a mail item and I want
> to remove all the clutter.

You can save the message to your drafts folder and then edit it there.

-j


-- 
Jeffrey Goldberg                     http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/
  I rarely read top-posted, over-quoting or HTML postings.
  http://improve-usenet.org/
0
Jeffrey
2/11/2008 12:50:02 AM
In article <gkreme-6E420B.15054910022008@news.giganews.com>,
 Lewis <gkreme@gmail.com> wrote:

> In article <bob-F86E3E.15561610022008@news.verizon.net>,
>  Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com.invalid> wrote:
> 
> > I asked this a long time ago and there wasn't a way to do it.  Is there 
> > a way yet?
> 
> No.
> 
> >  Sometimes I want to save just part of a mail item and I want 
> > to remove all the clutter.  This is easy in Windows.  I don't know why 
> > it is seemingly impossible in OS X.
> 
> It's not impossible in OS X, it's impossible in Mail.app.

What's wrong with highlighting the part you want to save, and dragging 
it to the desktop (or anyplace else you want)?

Isaac
0
isw
2/11/2008 4:09:41 AM
Tim Streater wrote:
> In article <tomstiller-A27F29.16132810022008@newsgroups.comcast.net>,
>  Tom Stiller <tomstiller@comcast.net> wrote:
> 
>> In article <bob-F86E3E.15561610022008@news.verizon.net>,
>>  Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> I asked this a long time ago and there wasn't a way to do it.  Is there 
>>> a way yet?  Sometimes I want to save just part of a mail item and I want 
>>> to remove all the clutter.  This is easy in Windows.  I don't know why 
>>> it is seemingly impossible in OS X.
>> I don't know but I would think altering the original of something that 
>> someone else wrote would be frowned upon.
> 
> Sod that. It's been sent to me therefore it belongs to me. This is one 
> of the main reasons I use Eudora.
> 
> I get fed up with receiving mails from klods that are badly formatted or 
> contain crap. It's nice to be able to edit it all out.

Select All, Copy to Clipboard, Paste into Editor.

If you check the public Apple mail-lists, the Apple Mail team is not 
interested at all in introducing "text processing features" into the 
product.

They use format=flowed, as should everyone else.  Basically, if those 
other clients are hard-wrapping text, this is a problem with the other 
MUA, and not Apple Mail.

I can only concur.

Or, one can switch to Thunderbird or some other MUA.  There are a world 
of choices.
-- 
clvrmnky <mailto:spamtrap@clevermonkey.org>

Direct replies to this address will be blacklisted.  Replace "spamtrap" 
with my name to contact me directly.
0
Clever
2/11/2008 5:06:32 PM
In article <fopvc8$nja$1@aioe.org>,
 Clever Monkey <spamtrap@clevermonkey.org.INVALID> wrote:

> Tim Streater wrote:
> > In article <tomstiller-A27F29.16132810022008@newsgroups.comcast.net>,
> >  Tom Stiller <tomstiller@comcast.net> wrote:
> > 
> >> In article <bob-F86E3E.15561610022008@news.verizon.net>,
> >>  Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com.invalid> wrote:
> >>
> >>> I asked this a long time ago and there wasn't a way to do it.  Is there 
> >>> a way yet?  Sometimes I want to save just part of a mail item and I want 
> >>> to remove all the clutter.  This is easy in Windows.  I don't know why 
> >>> it is seemingly impossible in OS X.
> >> I don't know but I would think altering the original of something that 
> >> someone else wrote would be frowned upon.
> > 
> > Sod that. It's been sent to me therefore it belongs to me. This is one 
> > of the main reasons I use Eudora.
> > 
> > I get fed up with receiving mails from klods that are badly formatted or 
> > contain crap. It's nice to be able to edit it all out.
> 
> Select All, Copy to Clipboard, Paste into Editor.

Then what? With Eudora I need do none of this, and I have the mail where 
it was originally.

> If you check the public Apple mail-lists, the Apple Mail team is not 
> interested at all in introducing "text processing features" into the 
> product.

They already have them. How do you think they create a mail item?
0
Tim
2/11/2008 5:32:12 PM
In article 
<alpine.OSX.1.00.0802101848240.93076@hagrid.ewd.goldmark.org>,
 Jeffrey Goldberg <nobody@goldmark.org> wrote:

> In <bob-F86E3E.15561610022008@news.verizon.net>, Robert Peirce wrote:
> 
> > I asked this a long time ago and there wasn't a way to do it.  Is there
> > a way yet?  Sometimes I want to save just part of a mail item and I want
> > to remove all the clutter.
> 
> You can save the message to your drafts folder and then edit it there.

That is cool.  I never thought of that.

Oh-oh.  I just tried it, and yes, I was able to edit it, but it saved as 
a second draft.  Then, when I copied it back to my inbox it was added as 
a second mail item with today's date.  I believe I can accomplish the 
identical result with redirect.

-- 
Robert B. Peirce, Venetia, PA  724-941-6883
bob AT peirce-family.com [Mac]
rbp AT cooksonpeirce.com [Office]

0
Robert
2/11/2008 8:31:20 PM
In article <1ic3u6x.1f7rit49ipgmeN%mikePOST@TOGROUPmacconsult.com>,
 mikePOST@TOGROUPmacconsult.com (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:

> Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com.invalid> wrote:
> 
> > I asked this a long time ago and there wasn't a way to do it.  Is there
> > a way yet?  Sometimes I want to save just part of a mail item and I want
> > to remove all the clutter.  This is easy in Windows.  I don't know why
> > it is seemingly impossible in OS X.
> 
> It's not a general Mac OS vs Windows issue at all.  Rather, it's a
> Mail.app vs. whatever mail client you're talking about in Windows issue.
> The Mac versions of Eudora 6.x and earlier let you edit incoming
> messages.  This is no longer the case with Eudora 8, though, which I
> believe is actually Thunderbird incognito.

Okay.  I happen to use Outlook at work and it lets me edit messages.

-- 
Robert B. Peirce, Venetia, PA  724-941-6883
bob AT peirce-family.com [Mac]
rbp AT cooksonpeirce.com [Office]

0
Robert
2/11/2008 8:32:12 PM
In article <isw-FBC1BC.20094110022008@newsgroups.comcast.net>,
 isw <isw@witzend.com> wrote:

> In article <gkreme-6E420B.15054910022008@news.giganews.com>,
>  Lewis <gkreme@gmail.com> wrote:
> 
> > In article <bob-F86E3E.15561610022008@news.verizon.net>,
> >  Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com.invalid> wrote:
> > 
> > > I asked this a long time ago and there wasn't a way to do it.  Is there 
> > > a way yet?
> > 
> > No.
> > 
> > >  Sometimes I want to save just part of a mail item and I want 
> > > to remove all the clutter.  This is easy in Windows.  I don't know why 
> > > it is seemingly impossible in OS X.
> > 
> > It's not impossible in OS X, it's impossible in Mail.app.
> 
> What's wrong with highlighting the part you want to save, and dragging 
> it to the desktop (or anyplace else you want)?

I do that where appropriate.  However, often I want to save part of an 
item as mail.  Sometimes it just temporary, a reminder of some small 
item that may be buried deep in the text.  Where the date/time is not 
critical, I will just use redirect, but that isn't always the case.

-- 
Robert B. Peirce, Venetia, PA  724-941-6883
bob AT peirce-family.com [Mac]
rbp AT cooksonpeirce.com [Office]

0
Robert
2/11/2008 8:35:06 PM
In article <tomstiller-A27F29.16132810022008@newsgroups.comcast.net>,
 Tom Stiller <tomstiller@comcast.net> wrote:

> In article <bob-F86E3E.15561610022008@news.verizon.net>,
>  Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com.invalid> wrote:
> 
> > I asked this a long time ago and there wasn't a way to do it.  Is there 
> > a way yet?  Sometimes I want to save just part of a mail item and I want 
> > to remove all the clutter.  This is easy in Windows.  I don't know why 
> > it is seemingly impossible in OS X.
> 
> I don't know but I would think altering the original of something that 
> someone else wrote would be frowned upon.

I think once you receive it it is yours.  If you can delete all of it, 
why not be able to delete part of it?

-- 
Robert B. Peirce, Venetia, PA  724-941-6883
bob AT peirce-family.com [Mac]
rbp AT cooksonpeirce.com [Office]

0
Robert
2/11/2008 8:36:25 PM
In article <timstreater-C1E677.22165710022008@news.individual.net>,
 Tim Streater <timstreater@waitrose.com> wrote:

> In article <tomstiller-A27F29.16132810022008@newsgroups.comcast.net>,
>  Tom Stiller <tomstiller@comcast.net> wrote:
> 
> > In article <bob-F86E3E.15561610022008@news.verizon.net>,
> >  Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com.invalid> wrote:
> > 
> > > I asked this a long time ago and there wasn't a way to do it.  Is there 
> > > a way yet?  Sometimes I want to save just part of a mail item and I want 
> > > to remove all the clutter.  This is easy in Windows.  I don't know why 
> > > it is seemingly impossible in OS X.
> > 
> > I don't know but I would think altering the original of something that 
> > someone else wrote would be frowned upon.
> 
> Sod that. It's been sent to me therefore it belongs to me. This is one 
> of the main reasons I use Eudora.
> 
> I get fed up with receiving mails from klods that are badly formatted or 
> contain crap. It's nice to be able to edit it all out.

Exactly.  But I want to do it in Mail.app.

-- 
Robert B. Peirce, Venetia, PA  724-941-6883
bob AT peirce-family.com [Mac]
rbp AT cooksonpeirce.com [Office]

0
Robert
2/11/2008 8:37:13 PM
Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com.invalid> wrote:

> I think once you receive it it is yours.  If you can delete all of it,
> why not be able to delete part of it?

What I'm about to say is strictly meant as an example of why it could
matter, not an attempt at starting an argument.

Let's say someone sends you an email, then later claims they said
something different.  You have original email to show what he really
said.  Now, if you're able to edit that email...

Anyway, as we've discussed some mail clients let you edit incoming
messages while most don't, so if this is an important feature for you,
you need to use a program that has it.

-- 
<http://designsbymike.net/shop/mac.cgi> Mac and geek T-shirts & gifts
<http://designsbymike.net/shop/musings.cgi> Muckraking T-shirts
<http://designsbymike.net/shop/prius.cgi> Prius shirts/bumper stickers
<http://bogart-tribute.net> Tribute to Humphrey Bogart
0
mikePOST
2/11/2008 11:22:34 PM
In article <1ic5rji.1u7guw4hzmx3kN%mikePOST@TOGROUPmacconsult.com>,
 mikePOST@TOGROUPmacconsult.com (Mike Rosenberg) wrote:

> Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com.invalid> wrote:
> 
> > I think once you receive it it is yours.  If you can delete all of it,
> > why not be able to delete part of it?
> 
> What I'm about to say is strictly meant as an example of why it could
> matter, not an attempt at starting an argument.
> 
> Let's say someone sends you an email, then later claims they said
> something different.  You have original email to show what he really
> said.  Now, if you're able to edit that email...

This assumes the sender knows whether you can edit the mail or not and 
did not save a copy of the mail he sent.  I suspect most people sending 
from Outlook to Mail.app would assume you can edit the mail while those 
sending from Mail.app would know you can't.

My wife is involved in a family situation where it is important to save 
all e-mail she sends.  She also Bccs me so I can save a copy.  I suppose 
any recipient could claim what we saved was not accurate.  Maybe that is 
why her brother insists on US mail.  It is something I never thought of 
because we wouldn't change the mail even if we could.  However, I guess 
it is not unreasonable to think that others might.  There is a certain 
amount of trust required.  If it is lacking, then anything not drawn up 
by a lawyer and signed by all participants would be suspect.

-- 
Robert B. Peirce, Venetia, PA  724-941-6883
bob AT peirce-family.com [Mac]
rbp AT cooksonpeirce.com [Office]

0
Robert
2/12/2008 2:08:11 AM
Robert Peirce wrote:
> I asked this a long time ago and there wasn't a way to do it.  Is there 
> a way yet?  Sometimes I want to save just part of a mail item and I want 
> to remove all the clutter.  This is easy in Windows.  I don't know why 
> it is seemingly impossible in OS X.
> 

Easiest way I've found:

Message -> Send Again
Edit..edit.edit...
Save as Draft, close message
Drag draft back to original folder

But this does change the sent/received date of the mail, unfortunately.

One reason that editing isn't a good idea is that in some situations, 
emails are legal documents.  Where I work, we've had a couple of 
instances where all email relating to a particular project have been 
subpoenaed by the legal department in relation to alleged patent 
infringement cases (by another company), and we'd be in big doo-doos if 
they were presented as evidence and it turned out they'd been edited 
after the fact.
0
Calum
2/15/2008 1:15:42 PM
In <bob-36FD3E.21081011022008@news.verizon.net>, Robert Peirce wrote:

> My wife is involved in a family situation where it is important to save
> all e-mail she sends.  She also Bccs me so I can save a copy.  I suppose
> any recipient could claim what we saved was not accurate.  Maybe that is
> why her brother insists on US mail.  It is something I never thought of
> because we wouldn't change the mail even if we could.  However, I guess
> it is not unreasonable to think that others might.

There are two digital signature  schemes for creating non-reputiatable 
messages.  One is S/MIME.  Support that S/MIME is fully built into 
Mail.app and most modern mailers.  The other is PGP (or the free drop-in 
GPG).  For PGP the integration with Mail.app and mail clients is not as 
smooth, but it does have certain advantages.

Both of these take some set-up.  You need to get/create a pair of 
public/private keys for signing messages.  And there is the issue of 
getting the key pair that you get/create recognized.

With PGP/GPG you can do that all on your own.  With S/MIME you need an 
established third party to get your key recognized.

Still, I think that the S/MIME route is probably the right way to go.

   Start here:

    http://www.marknoble.com/tutorial/smime/smime.aspx

I'm familiar with getting a Thawte certified certificate (and if you just 
want your email address "certified" its easy).

Note that digitally signing a message only creates a message which is 
provably from the person who holds the private key associated with the 
email address.  And that the message has not be tampered with.

It does not prove that the message was actually ever sent.  There are ways 
of doing that, which I'll discuss if asked.

-j

-- 
Jeffrey Goldberg                     http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/
  I rarely read top-posted, over-quoting or HTML postings.
  http://improve-usenet.org/
0
Jeffrey
2/16/2008 6:16:36 PM
Reply: