Exporting Mail from Mail.app to Thunderbird #2

What's the easiest way of transferring my mail from Mail app to
Thunderbird.
The import faciliity on T'bird doesn't work, and I  wondered if I could
do it by copying the folders in Library>Mail>Mailboxes?  Would this work
do you think?

Peter

--
It is necessary for the good man to do nothing for evil to triumph.

Attributed to Edmund Burke 1729 - 1797
0
peter171 (48)

On 4/9/12   PDT 2:20 AM, Peter James wrote:
> What's the easiest way of transferring my mail from Mail app to
> Thunderbird.
> The import faciliity on T'bird doesn't work, and I  wondered if I could
> do it by copying the folders in Library>Mail>Mailboxes?  Would this work
> do you think?

No, I don't think that will work. I just tried it, and while there's
dialogue, it finds "nothing" to import.

There is a NG on .mozilla for T-bird stuff: mozilla.support.thunderbird
(on its own server)

0
jpmcw (1977)
4/9/2012 9:47:59 PM
Peter James <peter@pfjames.co.uk> wrote:

> What's the easiest way of transferring my mail from Mail app to
> Thunderbird.
> The import faciliity on T'bird doesn't work, and I  wondered if I could
> do it by copying the folders in Library>Mail>Mailboxes?  Would this work
> do you think?

Only two ways I can think of.

Switch to IMAP.

or,

Download Andreas Amann's Mail Scripts, and export to Eudora mailboxes,
then import into Thunderbird.

http://andreasamann.com/MacOSX/Mail_Scripts

--
Andy Hewitt
<www.andy-hewitt.me.uk>
 peter@pfjames.co.uk (Peter James) wrote:

> What's the easiest way of transferring my mail from Mail app to
> Thunderbird.
> The import faciliity on T'bird doesn't work, and I  wondered if I could
> do it by copying the folders in Library>Mail>Mailboxes?  Would this work
> do you think?
>
> Peter

Emailchemy can convert from Apple Mail to Thunderbird.  That's what I used when
I switched from Eudora to Apple Mail.

<http://www.weirdkid.com/products/emailchemy/index.html>
0
wayne.morris (951)
4/10/2012 3:40:06 AM
In article
<wayne.morris-D99AE3.22400609042012@news.eternal-september.org>,
 "Wayne C. Morris" <wayne.morris@this.is.invalid> wrote:

> In article <1kia4jz.d0rary1y6nnuoN%peter@pfjames.co.uk>,
>  peter@pfjames.co.uk (Peter James) wrote:
>
> > What's the easiest way of transferring my mail from Mail app to
> > Thunderbird.
> > The import faciliity on T'bird doesn't work, and I  wondered if I could
> > do it by copying the folders in Library>Mail>Mailboxes?  Would this work
> > do you think?
> >
> > Peter
>
> Emailchemy can convert from Apple Mail to Thunderbird.  That's what I used
> when
> I switched from Eudora to Apple Mail.
>
> <http://www.weirdkid.com/products/emailchemy/index.html>

Another vote for Emailchemy here. It's an excellent piece of kit that
I've used for years and it's never let me down. I mainly use it to
archive email accounts when people leave but I have used it in the past
to transfer mailboxes from one system to another and it was faultless.

--
Cats sleeping in the sunshine... it must be spring
On Mon, 9 Apr 2012 09:20:07 UTC, peter@pfjames.co.uk (Peter James)
wrote:

> What's the easiest way of transferring my mail from Mail app to
> Thunderbird.
> The import faciliity on T'bird doesn't work, and I  wondered if I could
> do it by copying the folders in Library>Mail>Mailboxes?  Would this work
> do you think?
>
> Peter

I transferred my OS X 10.6.8 address book to Thunderbird under
Ubuntu Linux using Vcards. Address Book will export individual
Vcards or the whole library of Vcards. I've forgotten how I got them
imported into TBird but it wasn't hard to do.

--
John Varela
0

Mac mail.app to iPod touch mail transfer
Running a MacBook with 10.6.5 and a 3rd gen iPod touch with 4.2.1. Without getting into long explanations, I cannot have wifi in my house, and it would be most convenient to write my emails on my Mac, transfer them to my iPod, and send them out from a public hot spot in town. I have been doing this by writing the mails in mail.app>notes, syncing the ipod, then copy and pasting from ipod notes to ipod mail. I have airsharing and goodreader and probably could use them also. But is there a more convenient way like an app at the iTunes store that would directly transfer from mail/Ma...

Mail.app Mailing List?
Does the OS X mail.app have a mailing list about and if so, where can I find it?? -- Bob Batson rcb@kc.rr.com "Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines" Bob Batson wrote: > Does the OS X mail.app have a mailing list about and if so, where can I > find it?? > Not sure if it's what your asking, but the Address Book application allows you to create mailing lists, and there's lots of information in the Address Book Help file. Once you've created the list, you can select it and use it in the Mail application. In article <rcYye...

Mail Links In Web Apps won't open any mail apps? Help!!! Thanks
that is if I click on a link in Safari or Internet Explorer that contains an e-mail address it won't open a mail app. the dock kind of moves a bit and that's it. this is a total pain in the butt because these address's are imbedded and I can't see what the address is. I checked the useless discussions on the apple sight and they were uh...useless. I checked all preferences and that didn't fix it.Someone suggested that the default setting in the apple mail app would have a place to set it but that didn't work. Any suggestions? thanks for the help -- Barry ...

Vacation mail with mail.app
Here is a script I wrote for vacation notices; it will send the notice only once to each person you receive mail from. I suggest running it after any rules to file mailing list items into folders, so that it doesn't send vacation mail notices to the lists. The actual notice is sent by the rule; the script is what keeps the rule from sending more than one notice to any given address. First set up an address-book group named "Vacation" Then set up a rule with the criterion "If sender is not a member of group Vacation" Set up the actions Reply to Message Run Applescript (choose the following script to be run) Note 1: I have not fully tested this script, but I believe that it will work properly. Note 2: The script assumes that if the sender's name has three words, they are first, middle, and last; that there is no prefix (such as "Dr.") or suffix (such as "Jr."). It also assumes that if the sender's name has more than three words, the first and second words are the first and middle names, and the last word is the last name. tell application "Mail" perform mail action with messages messages_to_process for rule "vacation" repeat with message_to_process in messages_to_process set the_sender to the sender of the message_to_process my add_to_list(my parse_the_sender(the_sender)) end repeat end tell to add_to_list({FN, MN, LN, email_sender}) tell application "Add...

mail.app does not fetch mail
Hi: For the last four days mail.app has refused to fetch any mail from my pop account. As far as I know, I have made no changes to my system or the mail app. I know I have new mail because I can access my mail via pine on the shell account at the isp. Mail tries, it logs on, checks password successfully, then spends a little too long on "checking for messages" and finds none. I've not tried any other methods of checking my email as none of the mailers I have around seem to support ssl. Any help greatly appreciated! Eric In article <250120041742285724%UNericfiveSPAM@online.ie>, Eric Rainey <UNericfiveSPAM@online.ie> wrote: > Hi: > For the last four days mail.app has refused to fetch any mail from my > pop account. As far as I know, I have made no changes to my system or > the mail app. I know I have new mail because I can access my mail via > pine on the shell account at the isp. > Mail tries, it logs on, checks password successfully, then spends a > little too long on "checking for messages" and finds none. > I've not tried any other methods of checking my email as none of the > mailers I have around seem to support ssl. > Any help greatly appreciated! > Eric Same thing's been happening with my version of Mail.app, v. 1.2.5. Problems started a few days ago when checking my DotMac account. The mailbox soon went dim. Under the Mailbox Menu, I noticed the DotMac account was Offline. Restorin...

Archiving mail from mail.app
I need to save just every mail I receive and be able to search the archive. Mail.app's search capabilities are pathetic at best. I've searched around and found some AppleScript's that do some manner of import into FileMaker database, but they are limited in file size and capability to deal with attachments. I currently create new mailboxes with old mail to keep the mailbox from growing too huge, but am still stuck with poor search features. Otherwise, I am quite happy with Mail.app (Jaguar) and prefer to keep it. Does anyone have practical solutions for dealing with large ...

Mail.app
I lost some mail today. I had dragged a couple of folders to a new location. When I looked in the folders, it appeared the mail was there but everything was empty. I tried rebuilding the folders and the headers disappeared as well. At that point I was pretty desperate. Most of the mail was from today and would not be on my backup. I restarted the computer and rebuilt the folders again. Low-and-behold, most of the mail came back but not all of it and I am still missing a couple of items I can not afford to lose. So, what did I do, so I can avoid doing it again? How can ...

Can't send mail using Mail.app, but can with Thunderbird
Hello, I am having one heck of a time, and it's killing me. I am new to the world of OS X but am adapting well, with one exception - Mail. Here's the deal. Using Thunderbird, I can send mail out with password authentication. I can send it via port 25 normally or via port 465 via SSL. I can also telnet to port 25 and see the standard email connection, and I can even fake it out using the proper sequence of commands. I can telnet to port 465, although since that's SSL I can't easily fake key negotiation or anything like that - but, it does establish a connection. However, Mai...

Mail app Thunderbird?
Anyone using it? And how is it working? Will it import from the Apple mailapp? Thanks Lyndon In article <lyndonr-9B3CDD.12522322112004@corp.supernews.com>, lyndonr <lyndonr@interwrx.junktrap.com> wrote: > Will it import from the Apple mailapp? <http://texturizer.net/thunderbird/faq.html> -- Tom "Tom" Harrington Macaroni, Automated System Maintenance for Mac OS X. Version 2.0: Delocalize, Repair Permissions, lots more. See http://www.atomicbird.com/ ...

Mail.app #2
I am running OSX 10.5.2 and would like to use the Mail.app that comes with it. Problem is to send any thing takes any where from 1 to 15 min. Is there a switch or something that I have messed up on? Thank you. Lee Murphy <murman56@mac.com> writes: > I am running OSX 10.5.2 and would like to use the Mail.app that comes > with it. Problem is to send any thing takes any where from 1 to 15 > min. Is there a switch or something that I have messed up on? > Thank you. Well, _something_ is messed up. Try opening the Activity window and see if you can figure out what the progra...

Mac Mail app
I'm sure I am probably missing something but I am new to the Mac, so help would be appreciated. The Mac's on board mail client, why is the text size so small on some incoming mail? It is not on all mail so presumably the senders settings have an impact although I would have thought that Mac Mail would have over-ridden these with local settings. Thanks Colin Countryman wrote: > I'm sure I am probably missing something but I am new to the Mac, so help > would be appreciated. > > The Mac's on board mail client, why is the text size so small on some > inco...

mail.app #2
mail.app is not downloading emails no more. it downloaded 270 but then it stopped. There should be like 2000 and something in total.... how can i make it download again...i keep pressing get mail but it aint working btw my internet speed has gone slower in the past few hours....could this b why? In article <1176397926.327831.174950@q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>, "vix" <shahvikram123@gmail.com> wrote: > mail.app is not downloading emails no more. it downloaded 270 but then > it stopped. There should be like 2000 and something in total.... > > how can i ma...

Mail.app vaporized my e-mail!
The strangest thing just happened, help! I opened up Mail, and all the messages on my inbox (several dozen of them, some dating back 7 months) were all marked as unread. Not a big problem. BUT, everything dated between August 18 2003 and today (October 13, 2003) has completely vanished. I had some VERY important e-mails in there. I tried looking in ~/Library/Mail, and there doesn't seem to be any way to recover them by messing around in there. Is there any way to get them back??? Thanks G In article <Gqtib.9039$x97.2472@clgrps13>, nospam@spam.sucks.it (Gavin) wrote: &...

Problem with mail.app not finding mail
I'm using Mail 4.1 on 10.6.1, and my wife is using Mail 2.1.3 on 10.4.11, so there's not an exact convergence. I have mine set up to get mail from our web host, and it works fine. I have Louise's set up to get mail from our Web host, and it doesn't work. My problem is that I have no clue how to diagnose the problem - which end it's on. As far as I can tell, I set both accounts up the same on our Web host (an external service, not run by us), and I've set both mail.app accounts up the same. How do I troubleshoot this? In article <231020091035146216%ralph@whitehous...

Mail client app for Google mail?
My workplace uses Google Mail and everyone I know of uses the online Google Mail client, which lots of folks don't particularly like. I tried Thunderbird on my MacBook Pro; it doesn't work with Google mail. Our IT folks discourage the use of the Apple Mail app. What alternative app would work? -- _____________________________ Ron, the humblest guy in town On 2013-09-13 23:33:31 +0000, Ron said: > My workplace uses Google Mail and everyone I know of uses the online > Google Mail client, which lots of folks don't particularly like. I tried > Thunderbird on my MacBook Pro; it doesn't work with Google mail. Our IT > folks discourage the use of the Apple Mail app. What alternative app > would work? Thunderbird works great on the MacBook Pro with gmail. I have not idea what you mean about it not working. It by default does just what is intended with imap mail. Apple Mail is a bit hokey however and deleted files go to all mail in the iMap folders. I use Thunderbird fairly exclusivly for gmail on my Mac. In message <1l959v1.r5pb2fq8kaq6N%RonTheGuy@null.invalid> Ron <RonTheGuy@null.invalid> wrote: > Our IT > folks discourage the use of the Apple Mail app. Do they have a reason, or are they just gibbering morons? > What alternative app would work? Any mail app that supports IMAP should *work* with gmail. Mail.app is the best one though. -- Humans are always slightly lost. It...

Persistant Junk Mail in Mail.app
I use Mail.app for emaii. Mail.app includes a Bayesian filter which is supposed to "learn" the characteristics of a particular mail designated by me as junk and will eventually automatically move mail with the learned characteristics to the junk mail list. This seems to usually work but there are a few exceptions. My assumption is that the senders of those emails have somehow done something to bypass the junk filter. I'm curious as to what that could be. Any thoughts will be appreciated. -- James Leo Ryan - Austin, Texas In article <atnt47Fk1v3U1@mid.individual.net>, TaliesinSoft <taliesinsoft@me.com> wrote: > I use Mail.app for emaii. Mail.app includes a Bayesian filter which is > supposed to "learn" the characteristics of a particular mail designated > by me as junk and will eventually automatically move mail with the > learned characteristics to the junk mail list. This seems to usually > work but there are a few exceptions. My assumption is that the senders > of those emails have somehow done something to bypass the junk filter. > I'm curious as to what that could be. Any thoughts will be appreciated. Take a look at the message source, and you'll probably see loads of random phrases that are hidden in HTML. I think this stuff tends to thwart the Bayesian filters. -- Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu Arlington, MA *** PLEASE post questions in newsgroups, ...

Mail app in Jornada not receiving mail
I was just given a brand new, in the box, never used HP Jornada 548 running CE 3.0. I bought an AmbiCom 802.11 card for it so that I could use it with my home wireless LAN/ADSL connection. The card allows me to connect to the Internet, and I can surf the web with the thing wirelessly - as advertised. Now I also have a Macintosh Powerbook with a built-in Airport card and a Windows PC as well as a Mac G4 all connected to my network router either via Wi-Fi or Ether. I can receive and send mail on all three computers, but for some reason I cannot get e-mail to work with the Jornada and the CE "Inbox" application. My ISP assures me that I have all the info: Pop3 server, SMTP server, username, password, etc, entered correctly. Has anybody run into this problem? Can anybody tell me what the problem is? George Graves ...

Export mail from Thunderbird to Yahoo Mail?
Does anyone know of a way I can move email from Mozilla Thunderbird into Yahoo Mail? I've been searching for an answer, but I'm not having much luck. ...

Mail.app and full server mail box
My friend has an eMac running Panther and is using Mail.app. On two occasion in the last two months his server mail box has gotten full ( 6 MB) and really screwed up his business. I went into the preferences as well as read Pogue's chapter, but I could find no toggle for controlling the length of time one's mail stays on the server after one downloads it. Interestingly, Eudora Lite 3.1 gives you this control in the settings. Am I missing something? How do I get his server to trash his mail after he downloads it? He has a POP dialup account with attglobal - same as me. TIA -- ...

Mail.app deletes mail when deleting account
In Mail.app, in Preferences, in the Accounts panel, there is a list of accounts. I had a POP account there I no longer in use. I used the Remove button to delete the old account. But I didn't mean for it to delete all mail that had been recieved earlier into that email address. Yet that seems to be what happened. At least I can't find the mail anywhere in any of my mailboxes or in my_home/Library/Mail. There were a number of messages organized into various folders. Now they are gone. These mail messages were not sitting on a server, they were on my Mac. Is Mail supposed to do ...

mail.app question: sent mail disappeared
All of a sudden my sent mail box has dumped it's numerous sent mails and shrunk to two sent mails for some unknown reason. Thinking that maybe I had disk problems, I first did disk repair and then when that did nothing I booted from another disk and checked my startup disc and it verified totally perfect. Still no joy, sent mail still gone. Next I did a rebuild of sent mail, closed mail.app and re-opened it, sent mail still gone. -Anybody got a clue as to where it went and whether there is a possibility of retrieving it? -Is this a corruption problem and should I start backing up ...

How can I capture a mailing list in mail.app?
The list is in the form of "First Name Last Name"<email address>, next, next, . . . I don't want to add them to my address book, which is an option. I want to capture them all into a text file. If I select, copy and paste, I only get the email address, not the name. I want the whole thing. I am not afraid to go into the mail file itself, if that is what it takes. -- Robert B. Peirce, Venetia, PA 724-941-6883 bob AT peirce-family.com [Mac] rbp AT cooksonpeirce.com [Office] In article <bob-2EA010.15593316052008@[199.45.49.11]>, Robert Peirce <bob@peirc...

Junk mail handling problems in Mail.app
Since upgrading to Panther I have encountered trouble getting junk mail handling to work properly. I don't know whether its a bug in "Mail" or a local problem. What happens is this. If the Preferences are set to "When Junk Mail arrives -- Move it to the Junk mailbox (Automatic)" the Junk mail Icon (in the Mailboxes drawer) increments up as Junk messages arrive. The number of messages is shown alongside the Icon. However, when the Icon is selected none of these messages are listed in the main window. Looking in ~/Library/Mail/Junk/ there is a file named 'Inco...

Limit e-Mail size in Mail.app?
Is there any way I can put a maximum size of incoming e-mail my copy of Mail.app [Version 2.1 (752/752.2)] will accept? TIA -- Bob Batson rcb@kc.rr.com "Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines" In article <rcb-F02083.18152622072006@news-rdr-03.rdc-kc.rr.com>, Bob Batson <rcb@kc.rr.com> wrote: > Is there any way I can put a maximum size of incoming e-mail my copy of > Mail.app [Version 2.1 (752/752.2)] will accept? > > TIA Doing a search in Mail's Help for "message size" found this article: Skipping retrieval...

Web resources about - Exporting Mail from Mail.app to Thunderbird #2 - comp.sys.mac.apps

Mozilla Thunderbird
Mozilla Thunderbird is created by a global non-profit dedicated to putting individuals in control and shaping the future of the web for the public ...

Thunderbirds Are Go - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thunderbirds Are Go is a 1966 British science-fiction film based on Thunderbirds , a 1960s television series starring marionette puppets and ...

Edit - Thunderbird - CrunchBase Product Profile
TechCrunch CrunchBase More TechCrunch Europe TechCrunch France TechCrunch Japan Register - Login or Advanced Search Home > Products > Thunderbird ...

F-16C Thunderbirds Formation - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
USAF Thunderbirds at the 2008 Battle Creek Air Show

Thunderbirds Are Go - Introducing The World - YouTube
The world of Thunderbirds Are Go, Tracy Island, miniature sets and craft have been lovingly made by none other than WETA Workshop - the model ...

English import Jade Clarke set for baptism of fire with Thunderbirds - AdelaideNow Search Search
ENGLISH import Jade Clarke faces a hectic weekend of action at the Auckland pre-season this week as the Adelaide Thunderbirds seek to fast track ...

Thunderbirds are go: First pictures of TV remake
The first images of the upcoming TV reboot of the iconic series Thunderbirds have been released, recasting the iconic puppets from the 1960s ...

Thunderbirds creator Gerry Anderson dies aged 83
... puppet TV shows Captain Scarlet, Stingray and Joe 90 died in his sleep, his son announces. Gerry Anderson, best known as the creator of Thunderbirds ...

Firebirds hold nerve to hold out Thunderbirds
It was another close shave but Queensland Firebirds coach Roselee Jencke was happy for her side to take a second straight win.

Melbourne Cup: Thunderbird One - the last of the dreamers
Francis Finnegan admits it's a bit of a worry that Thunderbird One, the horse he and wife Samantha took on as a baby and love to bits, has been ...