Financial app for Mac

It's time I got back to a bit of financial planning as well as=20
bookkeeping. I've sworn off=97and at=97Intuit.   I've downloaded a trial =
of=20
Moneydance, but wonder if there's anything else on the horizon that's=20
worthwhile.

--=20
John McWilliams

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm=20
not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

0
jpmcw (1977)

John McWilliams <jpmcw@comcast.net> wrote:

> It's time I got back to a bit of financial planning as well as
> bookkeeping. I've sworn off—and at—Intuit.   I've downloaded a trial of
> Moneydance, but wonder if there's anything else on the horizon that's
> worthwhile.

I've been using iBank, the most Quicken-like of the bunch, since August
2011, but it might not have the interface or features you're looking
for. I suggest using the trial periods that most Mac financial apps
allow. For real financial planning, there's no substitute for getting
your hands dirty with spreadsheets.

0
nmassello2 (168)
11/7/2013 8:28:21 PM
On 2013-11-07 20:28:21 +0000, Neill Massello said:

> John McWilliams <jpmcw@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> It's time I got back to a bit of financial planning as well as
>> bookkeeping. I've sworn off—and at—Intuit.   I've downloaded a trial of
>> Moneydance, but wonder if there's anything else on the horizon that's
>> worthwhile.
>
> I've been using iBank, the most Quicken-like of the bunch, since August
> 2011, but it might not have the interface or features you're looking
> for. I suggest using the trial periods that most Mac financial apps
> allow. For real financial planning, there's no substitute for getting
> your hands dirty with spreadsheets.

I'm still using Quicken.  I tried importing my Quicken data, going back
some 20 years, into all of the available programs a couple of years ago
and it was just too much of a mess to bother with.

At the time, the one I found closest to meeting my needs was Moneydance.

That said, iBank has gotten some good reviews, and they are just
finishing up a major new release of it which went into public beta a
day or two ago:  <http://www.iggsoftware.com/ibank5/>

0
BreadWithSpam (1707)
11/8/2013 1:03:52 AM
In article <l5hd9k$o61$1@reader1.panix.com>,
 Bread <BreadWithSpam@Fractious.net> wrote:

> On 2013-11-07 20:28:21 +0000, Neill Massello said:
>
> > John McWilliams <jpmcw@comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> >> It's time I got back to a bit of financial planning as well as
> >> bookkeeping. I've sworn off�and at�Intuit.   I've downloaded a trial of
> >> Moneydance, but wonder if there's anything else on the horizon that's
> >> worthwhile.
> >
> > I've been using iBank, the most Quicken-like of the bunch, since August
> > 2011, but it might not have the interface or features you're looking
> > for. I suggest using the trial periods that most Mac financial apps
> > allow. For real financial planning, there's no substitute for getting
> > your hands dirty with spreadsheets.
>
> I'm still using Quicken.  I tried importing my Quicken data, going back
> some 20 years, into all of the available programs a couple of years ago
> and it was just too much of a mess to bother with.
>
> At the time, the one I found closest to meeting my needs was Moneydance.
>
> That said, iBank has gotten some good reviews, and they are just
> finishing up a major new release of it which went into public beta a
> day or two ago:  <http://www.iggsoftware.com/ibank5/>

If all you're doing is a checkbook, then there a lots of programs out
there that do checking.  I liked See Finance until Quicken Essentials'
simplicity grew on me and I stopped using two programs.

The one thing that the old Quicken did that NOTHING out there can do is
portfolios of like 1000 stocks.  It probably does more, but there's
nothing I've found that matches the downloading, tracking, and updating
of pricing that the IRS now requires.  If you have stuff that goes back
20 years, the IRS doesn't have that info, just the recent transactions.

If managing a stock portfolio isn't a requirement, just put "Checkbook"
into MacUpdate and look at the packages that come up.

--
DeeDee, don't press that button!  DeeDee!  NO!  Dee...

vilain2 (2187)
11/8/2013 7:05:50 AM
In article <l5gmsn$rrh$1@dont-email.me>,
 John McWilliams <jpmcw@comcast.net> wrote:

> It's time I got back to a bit of financial planning as well as
> bookkeeping. I've sworn off�and at�Intuit.   I've downloaded a trial of
> Moneydance, but wonder if there's anything else on the horizon that's
> worthwhile.

Gnucash is a FREE application that may have what you want.  It won't
cost you anything but time to find out.
0
lybanon (225)
11/9/2013 3:20:48 PM
On 2013-11-09 15:20:48 +0000, Matthew Lybanon said:

> In article <l5gmsn$rrh$1@dont-email.me>,
>  John McWilliams <jpmcw@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> It's time I got back to a bit of financial planning as well as
>> bookkeeping. I've sworn off�and at�Intuit.   I've downloaded a trial of
>> Moneydance, but wonder if there's anything else on the horizon that's
>> worthwhile.
>
> Gnucash is a FREE application that may have what you want.  It won't
> cost you anything but time to find out.

I have Moneyswell, but frankly I've never been able to use financial
programs. The gui looks good when I open it, though!

0
xxx613 (1334)
11/10/2013 7:54:32 PM
On 11/10/13   PDT, 11:54 AM, gtr wrote:
> On 2013-11-09 15:20:48 +0000, Matthew Lybanon said:
>
>> In article <l5gmsn$rrh$1@dont-email.me>,
>>  John McWilliams <jpmcw@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>> It's time I got back to a bit of financial planning as well as
>>> bookkeeping. I've sworn off=8Band at=8BIntuit.   I've downloaded a tr=
ial of
>>> Moneydance, but wonder if there's anything else on the horizon that's=

>>> worthwhile.
>>
>> Gnucash is a FREE application that may have what you want.  It won't
>> cost you anything but time to find out.
>
> I have Moneyswell, but frankly I've never been able to use financial
> programs. The gui looks good when I open it, though!

Moneydance gets off to a very good start, and iBank does not.
Thank you all for your input.

0
jpmcw (1977)
11/15/2013 1:36:51 AM
On 11/14/13   PDT, 5:36 PM, John McWilliams wrote:
> On 11/10/13   PDT, 11:54 AM, gtr wrote:
>> On 2013-11-09 15:20:48 +0000, Matthew Lybanon said:

>>> Gnucash is a FREE application that may have what you want.  It won't
>>> cost you anything but time to find out.
>>
>> I have Moneyswell, but frankly I've never been able to use financial
>> programs. The gui looks good when I open it, though!
>
> Moneydance gets off to a very good start, and iBank does not.
> Thank you all for your input.

Completely reversed the players above. iBank looks to be more intuitive=20
and easier to start with. It downloaded my banking info in a flash.

0
jpmcw (1977)

Mac
Hi, I have written a service to launch our wxWidgets Application when the user selects the menu item in the Services menu. The wxWidgets Application is configured to accept command line parameters when starting from the terminal window. I am launching the wxWidgets Application using Mac Launch Services call LSOpenFromURLSpec. I created an apple event descriptor (AEDesc) and added the parameters to pass into the AEDesc for the launch spec. This is not working, the application will launch but the parameters are ignored. Do I need to add an impementation in the wxMyApp::MacOpenFile to...

Speed-Up.app from Mac App Store
Has anyone purchased, or know anything about, Speed-Up.app, which is available from the Mac App Store? (This is not an iPhone app.) It looks like it would be useful to me for playing back songs in iTunes at variable speeds, but I can't find any documentation for it to even see how it works. The Mac App Store info says it works with 10.5+, but it hasn't been updated since Jan 2011. The link to "Speed-Up Support" is broken but it does get you to a site that advertises Speed-Up as an iTunes plug-in. However, there's remarkably little there about Speed-Up, s...

Best app. to run PC apps through Mac?
Have two Macs (OS 9.2.2) networked with a Compaq. I need to run the PC's IE remotely via my Mac (as a client). DAVE seems soley devoted to file sharing. Again, running OS 9.2.2 so can't take advantage of Remote Desktop Connection Client for Mac. Any suggestions? "eMac" <dcallaha@infionline.net> wrote in message news:1ggyxoc.9se1o61ha5ki0N%dcallaha@infionline.net... > Have two Macs (OS 9.2.2) networked with a Compaq. I need to run the > PC's IE remotely via my Mac (as a client). DAVE seems soley devoted to > file sharing. Again, running OS 9.2.2 so ...

mac app store apps dl limits
Was thinking about picking up an app or two or three (pages, numbers and find any file). Apple person at the store said the Apple apps aren't just one system per buy but thought there was some sort of limit. Is this a app store variable, an app variable or what? And would anyone know what the deal is on the above mentioned apps is? Would re-installing software require a deauth before hand? In article <l5c6qq$tfa$1@dont-email.me>, M. John Matlaw <nouser@invalid.com> wrote: > Was thinking about picking up an app or two or three (pages, numbers and > find any file). Apple person at the store said the Apple apps aren't > just one system per buy but thought there was some sort of limit. Is > this a app store variable, an app variable or what? And would anyone > know what the deal is on the above mentioned apps is? Would > re-installing software require a deauth before hand? apps can be installed on as many devices as you own. there is no limit, other than your wallet in buying the devices. On 11/5/13, 9:05 PM, nospam wrote: > In article <l5c6qq$tfa$1@dont-email.me>, M. John Matlaw > <nouser@invalid.com> wrote: > >> Was thinking about picking up an app or two or three (pages, numbers and >> find any file). Apple person at the store said the Apple apps aren't >> just one system per buy but thought there was some sort of limit. Is >> this a app store...

com.sys.mac.apps
www.freeservice6.blogspot.com ...

New Released Games for Mac in Mac App Store
Hi Guys, Dumadu Games had released a series of new games for Mac. Have a try and let us know how do you feel about the game. We would feel happy if you guys give a suggestion. Here goes the list of the games : Cricket Link : goo.gl/aagVZ Pop Chop Link : goo.gl/MSAu2 Twitty Link : goo.gl/sbxsk Icy Bouncy Link : goo.gl/UPG1L Thanks. ...

New Released Games for Mac in Mac App Store
Hi Guys, Dumadu Games had released a series of new games for Mac. Have a try and let us know how do you feel about the game. We would feel happy if you guys give a suggestion. Here goes the list of the games : Cricket Link : goo.gl/aagVZ Pop Chop Link : goo.gl/MSAu2 Twitty Link : goo.gl/sbxsk Icy Bouncy Link : goo.gl/UPG1L Thanks. ...

Opening a doc on Mac A using an app on Mac B?
Macs A and B are on the same LAN, and both have copies of a certain app. The master file or doc created by that app is stored only on Mac A, and most of the time is opened, modified, and re-saved using the copy of that app on Mac A. Is there any single-click way that one could sometimes open this file that's on Mac A from the Mac B keyboard __using the copy of the app that's on Mac B__; modify it using the Mac B copy; and re-save it on Mac A? Obviously I'm trying to avoid the complexities of having to keep duplicate copies on the doc on Macs A and B and then somehow keep ...

Sort of a Mac app, really, it's for a Mac
I have a copy of Vista to install on my new MacBook Pro Duo, but I hesitate to do it, because my neighbors' wifis are always on (very convenient as a back-up to my DSL) and I fear the Windows partition being invaded by malware. Is there an anti-malware program I can download and install simultaneously with Vista? Exactly how do I do that or do the next best alternative to simultaneous installation? Am I being panicky? I haven't used any kind of a Windows program since SoftWindows 95, which was pure macware. --- ++====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====+====+=====+=====+=====+=====+==...

Hovsepian: Apps! Apps! Apps!
Novell CEO: Apps Are Job No. 1 for Linux http://www.cio-today.com/story.xhtml?story_id=021001VE8HV3 <<< In order for Linux to grow into the computing mainstream, the open- source OS needs more applications and a standardized approach to software certification, Novell CEO Ron Hovsepian said in his keynote Wednesday at the LinuxWorld conference and trade show in San Francisco. "The No. 1 thing that we need on Linux is applications," he said. "Whether we like it or not, the application is what drives the final customer decision," he added. >>> John Bail...

Wondershare Video Converter for Mac Is Available On Mac App Store

When is a Mac not a Mac?

Wondershare Photo Recovery for Mac is Available on Mac App Store

To Mac or not to Mac?

Mac App Store giving away pay apps for free
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/01/07/app_store_receipt_fail/ <quotes> Security oversights mean that many of the applications in Apple's newly launched Mac App Store can easily be obtained without payment. A significant number of developers have disregarded Apple's advice on validating App Store receipts before making their software available through the store. As a result, many applications can be pirated. Applications bought through the store can be modified to run by any Apple user (not just restricted to a specific Apple ID, prompting users to log into a...

Wondershare DVD Creator for Mac is available on Mac App Store
Wondershare DVD Creator for Mac is now available on Mac App Store with discount price $39.99. It is a creative DVD Video and DVD photo slide show application. It can convert videos to DVDs from popular videos like AVI, MPG, MPEG, MP4, WMV, MOV, MKV, FLV, etc. with 90+ preset free DVD menu templates. Besides, this DVD creator allows you to make slideshows and edit videos such as trim, crop, rotate videos, add watermarks, etc. Top Key Features: 1. Burn All Regular Video Formats to DVD. It can burn all regular video formats like MOV, MKV, MP4, AVI, WMV, MTS, HD videos, Flv files etc. ...

Wondershare Data Recovery for Mac is Available on Mac App Store

Mac to mac

Wondershare Video Converter Pro for Mac is Available on Mac App Store
Wondershare Video Converter Pro is a powerful converter that supports both videos and home DVDs. </b> It can help you convert videos and DVDs in several click, formats supported including: AVI, WMV, MP4, MOV, FLV, MKV, etc., with powerful and helpful edit functions for featuring the media file offered. Popular devices and apps like iPhone/ iPad/iPod/iMovie/FCP/HTC etc are supported. Key features of Video Converter Pro: -Convert videos and DVDs to popular formats of your choice. -Enjoy your favorite videos and movies on all your portable devices such as iPad, iPhone, iPod, Ap...

Run Linux App over Mac OS X via Mac X11
Hello. I have a working Linux GUI app and tried in vain to run it over MacOS X via X11. The error msg from X11 is as follows: ------------------------------------------------- $ Gdk-ERROR **: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation) serial 16453 error_code 2 request_code 45 minor_code 0 ------------------------------------------------------ The app was built using gcc-3.4.2 (gcc-3.4.2/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.2), and libwx_gtkd_gl-2.4.a. Could some tell me how to fix or get around it. Many thanks ming -----Original Message----- From: Henk Boons...

Wondershare Video Converter for Mac is available on Mac App Store #2

Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate for Mac Is Available On Mac App Store
Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate for Mac is the all-in-one solution to combine the features of the Mac video and DVD converter tools, and DVD burner. It is available for you to convert audio and video files from a variety of formats to playback on iOS devices, PSP, Blackberry, Android phones, tablets and other mobile devices etc. Moreover, it enables you to easily rip and burn DVDs. Top features of Video Converter Ultimate: 1. Convert video files such as AVI, MP4, MOV, M4V, MKV, FLV and etc. to the proper formats (with pre-sets) for iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, PSP, Blackberry, and...

Can older Mac 68K apps be converted to FAT or PPC apps to run on PPCs?
Can someone explain the difficulty level to do this? I have an obsolete form filler application that is only for 68K Macs. How much trouble is it to convert? Robert Hovland <ranospamhovland@earthlink.net> writes: > Can someone explain the difficulty level to do this? I have an obsolete > form filler application that is only for 68K Macs. How much trouble is > it to convert? As I understand it, updating your code and building a Carbon version of your app isn't too much trouble. Carbon is essentially just a newer version of the class Toolbox API, so Carbonating your app won't be nearly as much work as creating a completely "foreign" port would be. On the other hand, you *do* need to have the source code for the app, and you *will* need to do some updating of it and build a Carbon version. As far as I know, there is no "converter" that will easily magically a 68K app into a modern app with no programming needed. sherm-- -- Cocoa programming in Perl: http://camelbones.sourceforge.net Hire me! My resume: http://www.dot-app.org In article <ranospamhovland-BA1FB0.12265508082005@news.west.earthlink.net>, Robert Hovland <ranospamhovland@earthlink.net> wrote: > Can someone explain the difficulty level to do this? I have an obsolete > form filler application that is only for 68K Macs. How much trouble is > it to convert? Probably little-or-none if you've got the so...

Does an app run Mac O X 10.4 when it has been built on Mac OS 10. 3+
Hello. I don't have Mac OS X 10.4 yet, my application is built on Mac OS X 10.3.9, does The application can run properly on Mac OS 10.4 ? Thanks ming --------------------------------------------------------------------- To unsubscribe, e-mail: wx-users-unsubscribe@lists.wxwidgets.org For additional commands, e-mail: wx-users-help@lists.wxwidgets.org Hi Ming, Yes, almost everything should work without modification. I only found one thing in Tiger that worked differently than Panther, and it was easy to fix once I got a complete report of what was going on. HTH,...

Web resources about - Financial app for Mac - comp.sys.mac.apps

Home - FinancialMagazin.com - Financial News Portal
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE:WMT) may have stumbled due to low sales over the past few months followed up by the recent blow on the sales and ...

Financials Trend - Financials Trend NYSE NASDAQ OTC MARKETS - Financials Trend
Dallas, Texas 09/30/2013 (Financialstrend) - Tesla Motors, Inc. (NASDAQ:TSLA) stock has been on an upwards trajectory over the past More... Dallas, ...

Financial Wisdom Works
Home Staff Privacy Policy Contact Search for: News Budgeting Education Debt Insurance Retirement Investing Credit Cards Teach Kids Financial ...

Talk:Financial adviser - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is within the scope of WikiProject Business , a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of business articles on Wikipedia. ...

Acquitted Roosters star Shaun Kenny-Dowall counts the cost of emotional and financial toll
A proud, strong man, he had been destroyed by the past seven months. Only those closest to him know what it has done to him. It will take months ...

Lincoln Financial Debuts First Work From FCB
... insurance and wealth protection services, declined to disclose how much it is spending, though recent years have shown that Lincoln Financial's ...

Bell Financial oversees Washington H. Soul Pattinson block
Bell Financial Group has managed a $125 million block trade in investment company Washington H. Soul Pattinson, sources told Street Talk.

Financial Search Engine AlphaSense Raises $33 million
... “The company is uniquely positioned to completely revolutionize how knowledge professionals work, proven by its success to date with financial ...

New security requirements protect, frustrate students seeking financial aid
... But the new system is apparently causing confusion and frustration among students. Students who want to apply for most federal and state financial ...

Ciena Reports Fiscal First Quarter 2016 Financial Results
Ciena(R) Corporation (NYSE: CIEN), the network specialist, today announced unaudited financial results for its fiscal first quarter ended January ...