Help! iSync mac to mac - no .Mac?

Am I right in saying that with iSync, if you want to sync 2 macs
together (address book, iCal etc.) the only way to do this is via a
..Mac account, even if those computers are sitting not 5 feet from each
other, both Airport equipped? If this is the case, I've never heard
anything so ridiculous. Is this just part of another apple scam to get
more money out of us?

Does anyone know if this is indeed the case, and can you recommend any
other sync software out there?

I'm setting up an iMac, eMac and powerbook g4 for a friend's office,
all running OSX Panther, and you'd think basic synchronisation would
be easy by now.

Please help...
0
music

Mikey B <music@mikeybenn.plus.com> wrote:
>If this is the case, I've never heard
>anything so ridiculous. Is this just part of another apple scam to get
>more money out of us?

Maybe you also never heard of (mathematical) problems raised by data
synchronization (even more difficult than just file synchronization) and
the fact that using a central server with registered leafs makes the
process 1000 times less complex (and more reliable) and also makes it
very easy to configure.

>Does anyone know if this is indeed the case, and can you recommend any
>other sync software out there?

There are other tools to do the job but are generally less reliable (I
don't say that iSync is totally reliable ;-) ) and much more complex to
configure (than the "one-click" in iSync).

>I'm setting up an iMac, eMac and powerbook g4 for a friend's office,
>all running OSX Panther, and you'd think basic synchronisation would
>be easy by now.

You'd think...

--
Julien Jalon <http://www.julien-jalon.org/>
This post only expresses the author's opinion and not his company's.