Help w/FileMaker Pro 7

Hello,

I hope I'm in the right group for this question, if not, my
apologies.

I'm not a program or computer whiz but I've been using Filemaker Pro
for over 10 years. Currently I'm using FMP7 on a Mac with OS10.4.9.
Up until today I've never had a problem with the program.

In our office we have several shared FMP7 files which are housed on
our file server. We open up these shared files on our individual desk
computers as authorized guests to the file server.

I opened up these shared files this morning the same as always and
tried to enter a new record into one of the databases. I rec'd an
error message, Error 18 (at least that's what I think it was). I tried
to get a new record 3 times, same result, Error 18. I closed out the
file completely and quickly checked my other shared file databases -
no problem there, they were fine.

I reopened the file in question. Although the correct # of records
appeared in the record counter, no data could be seen in the various
fields. I closed out the file again, went to the file server and
opened the database from there. Same thing - record counter indicated
records existed, but no data was visible. As a tests, I did a find/
search for some records I knew had been in that database - the correct
number of records came up, but again, all fields were blank. I checked
formatting, the text was black in color as it should have been. I
checked other views and layouts, same situation - correct number of
records but no visible data.

I did a save as on the file and then performed recovery on the saved
as file... all the empty records were deleted.

I can't find this specific problem in Help, or on line, and I'm really
concerned that since I don't have any idea what happened or what
caused it, it could happen again to other files.

Has anyone experienced this problem? Any way to retrieve the data that
seems to be in those records (although not visible)? Any suggestions?

many thanks in advance

In article <1182361914.600059.135820@i13g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
 trish_connery@hotmail.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I hope I'm in the right group for this question, if not, my
> apologies.
>
> I'm not a program or computer whiz but I've been using Filemaker Pro
> for over 10 years. Currently I'm using FMP7 on a Mac with OS10.4.9.
> Up until today I've never had a problem with the program.
>
> In our office we have several shared FMP7 files which are housed on
> our file server. We open up these shared files on our individual desk
> computers as authorized guests to the file server.
>
> I opened up these shared files this morning the same as always and
> tried to enter a new record into one of the databases. I rec'd an
> error message, Error 18 (at least that's what I think it was). I tried
> to get a new record 3 times, same result, Error 18. I closed out the
> file completely and quickly checked my other shared file databases -
> no problem there, they were fine.
>
> I reopened the file in question. Although the correct # of records
> appeared in the record counter, no data could be seen in the various
> fields. I closed out the file again, went to the file server and
> opened the database from there. Same thing - record counter indicated
> records existed, but no data was visible. As a tests, I did a find/
> search for some records I knew had been in that database - the correct
> number of records came up, but again, all fields were blank. I checked
> formatting, the text was black in color as it should have been. I
> checked other views and layouts, same situation - correct number of
> records but no visible data.
>
> I did a save as on the file and then performed recovery on the saved
> as file... all the empty records were deleted.
>
> I can't find this specific problem in Help, or on line, and I'm really
> concerned that since I don't have any idea what happened or what
> caused it, it could happen again to other files.
>
> Has anyone experienced this problem? Any way to retrieve the data that
> seems to be in those records (although not visible)? Any suggestions?
>
> many thanks in advance

You might want to take this to comp.databases.filemaker.

--
Tom Stiller

PGP fingerprint =  5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
                   7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
0
Tom
6/20/2007 5:55:09 PM
In article <1182361914.600059.135820@i13g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
<trish_connery@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Has anyone experienced this problem? Any way to retrieve the data that
> seems to be in those records (although not visible)? Any suggestions?

What happens if you try to export the data? What do you get in the
resulting file?
0
Dave
6/20/2007 5:56:59 PM
In article <1182361914.600059.135820@i13g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
<trish_connery@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Has anyone experienced this problem? Any way to retrieve the data that
> seems to be in those records (although not visible)? Any suggestions?

One other suggestion: does this database use different fonts than the
others?
0
Dave
6/20/2007 5:57:36 PM
In article <1182361914.600059.135820@i13g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
 trish_connery@hotmail.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I hope I'm in the right group for this question, if not, my
> apologies.
>
> I'm not a program or computer whiz but I've been using Filemaker Pro
> for over 10 years. Currently I'm using FMP7 on a Mac with OS10.4.9.
> Up until today I've never had a problem with the program.
>
> In our office we have several shared FMP7 files which are housed on
> our file server. We open up these shared files on our individual desk
> computers as authorized guests to the file server.
>
> I opened up these shared files this morning the same as always and
> tried to enter a new record into one of the databases. I rec'd an
> error message, Error 18 (at least that's what I think it was). I tried
> to get a new record 3 times, same result, Error 18. I closed out the
> file completely and quickly checked my other shared file databases -
> no problem there, they were fine.
>
> I reopened the file in question. Although the correct # of records
> appeared in the record counter, no data could be seen in the various
> fields. I closed out the file again, went to the file server and
> opened the database from there. Same thing - record counter indicated
> records existed, but no data was visible. As a tests, I did a find/
> search for some records I knew had been in that database - the correct
> number of records came up, but again, all fields were blank. I checked
> formatting, the text was black in color as it should have been. I
> checked other views and layouts, same situation - correct number of
> records but no visible data.
>
> I did a save as on the file and then performed recovery on the saved
> as file... all the empty records were deleted.
>
> I can't find this specific problem in Help, or on line, and I'm really
> concerned that since I don't have any idea what happened or what
> caused it, it could happen again to other files.
>
> Has anyone experienced this problem? Any way to retrieve the data that
> seems to be in those records (although not visible)? Any suggestions?
>
> many thanks in advance

First, there is a newsgroup dedicated to FileMaker:
news.comp.databases.filemaker

Second, from your description, I am not sure exactly how you are opening
the shared databases. You may be doing it wrong.

The ONLY acceptable method for sharing a FileMaker database is to use
the FileMaker sharing system, NOT, repeat NOT by way of the operating
system file sharing system.

This is so important that most authorities recommend that the FIleMaker
host have operating system file sharing turned off, or at least that the
host database not reside in a shared folder.

FileMaker Pro has built-in sharing capability. For FileMaker 7 and
later, this is limited to 5 concurrent users. If you need more than 5
concurrent users, you have to use FileMaker Server.

Each client computer has to have its own licensed copy of FileMaker;
FileMaker checks for license duplication when you try to open a shared
database.

The database has to be open on the host machine in order to open it on a
client machine. FileMaker has to be set to allow sharing of the database
over the network, and specific user accounts have to be made active for
use over the network.

A client wanting to open the database does so by launching the local
copy of FileMaker, and then doing FIle Open >> Remote.

This will bring up a dialog box showing any machines on the network that
have FileMaker databases open and set for sharing.

You then log into the FileMaker database in exactly the same way as you
would on the host machine.

If you are not opening your database this way, but instead are using
operating system file sharing, you may well be causing corruption of the
database.

For more information, see the electronic documentation that comes with
FileMaker. The Help file has some info, and there are a couple of white
papers as PDFs that give more info.

--
For email, change <fake> to <earthlink>
Bill Collins
In article <1182361914.600059.135820@i13g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
 trish_connery@hotmail.com wrote:
> I opened up these shared files this morning the same as always and
> tried to enter a new record into one of the databases. I rec'd an
> error message, Error 18 (at least that's what I think it was). I tried
> to get a new record 3 times, same result, Error 18. I closed out the
> file completely and quickly checked my other shared file databases -
> no problem there, they were fine.

From the Help file for FMP 8, Error 18 means 'Client must provide
account information to proceed' which sounds as though somehow the
server is confused over who or how many clients are accessing it. Have
you tried quitting all the clients, restarting the server FMP, then
trying to reopen all the clients? Or it's possible the registration info
for the client with the problem has somehow been corrupted, which might
be solved with a re-install of that client.

--Fred
0
Fred