How to troubleshoot Firefox slowdowns?

I've been getting lots of beachballs on Firefox recently. I quit
and relaunched the program last night, but now again I'm getting
slowdowns sometimes a couple of times a minute.

My best guess is that some website I have open in some tab is
causing the problem, but I don't know how to identify it.

I found an item in Developer Tools called Performance; I made a
half-minute recording of that and caught a couple of these drop-
offs, but I don't know how to read the resulting graph to tell
whether it would indicate the problem site.

Is there any way to determine a specific troublemaker within FF?

Patty

0
Patty
12/10/2016 7:48:40 PM
comp.sys.mac.apps 21416 articles. 2 followers. xxx613 (1334) is leader. Post Follow

In article <o2hm6o$g6a$1@dont-email.me>,
 Patty Winter <patty1@wintertime.com> wrote:

> I've been getting lots of beachballs on Firefox recently. I quit
> and relaunched the program last night, but now again I'm getting
> slowdowns sometimes a couple of times a minute.
>
> My best guess is that some website I have open in some tab is
> causing the problem, but I don't know how to identify it.

It could be the latest one(s) you opened (trouble can strike in
various ways with websites loading) or it could be some sort of memory
problem to hold all the tabs and previews. You restarted the Mac
itself? You got good RAM? Your disk not too full?

When you quit and relaunched, did you then open all previous tabs? If
not, I know it sounds a bit obvious, open one tab and note the
behaviour. Then open another site in another tab. When you strike
trouble, it *may* then be the latest.

Or it could be other things.

Try clearing the cache. And also try running without add-ons. In Safe
Mode. To see if any add-ons are involved.

There may be issues with Firefox that will be fixed in later updates.

Any similar trouble with other browsers?

--
dorayme
0
dorayme  <do_ray_me@bigpond.com> wrote:

>It could be the latest one(s) you opened (trouble can strike in
>various ways with websites loading) or it could be some sort of memory
>problem to hold all the tabs and previews.

I don't think anything I opened recently was a data-intensive page.

>You restarted the Mac
>itself? You got good RAM? Your disk not too full?

RAM and storage are fine. Haven't restarted the Mac recently but
have sometimes had this problem even after a restart. And other
apps haven't been slowing down, just FF.

>When you quit and relaunched, did you then open all previous tabs? If
>not, I know it sounds a bit obvious, open one tab and note the
>behaviour. Then open another site in another tab. When you strike
>trouble, it *may* then be the latest.

I thought of that, but what if the problem doesn't manifest right
away?

>Or it could be other things.
>
>Try clearing the cache.

Won't that wipe out all my history? I like FF auto-filling pages
I've visited previously.

>And also try running without add-ons. In Safe
>Mode. To see if any add-ons are involved.

The only add-on I use is Adblock Plus.

>Any similar trouble with other browsers?

I don't think so, but I rarely use any others.

Patty

0
Patty
12/10/2016 9:14:00 PM
In article <o2hr6o$1a2$1@dont-email.me>,
 Patty Winter <patty1@wintertime.com> wrote:

> In article <do_ray_me-62ABEF.07382911122016@46.sub-75-242-165.myvzw.com>,
> dorayme  <do_ray_me@bigpond.com> wrote:
> >
> >It could be the latest one(s) you opened (trouble can strike in
> >various ways with websites loading) or it could be some sort of memory
> >problem to hold all the tabs and previews.
>
> I don't think anything I opened recently was a data-intensive page.

Maybe not to appearance but other sorts of things could be happening.

> >You restarted the Mac
> >itself? You got good RAM? Your disk not too full?
>
> RAM and storage are fine. Haven't restarted the Mac recently but
> have sometimes had this problem even after a restart. And other
> apps haven't been slowing down, just FF.
>
> >When you quit and relaunched, did you then open all previous tabs? If
> >not, I know it sounds a bit obvious, open one tab and note the
> >behaviour. Then open another site in another tab. When you strike
> >trouble, it *may* then be the latest.
>
> I thought of that, but what if the problem doesn't manifest right
> away?

Yes, it might be a bit inconvenient, but you could pause after opening
each new site in a new tab (and use another browser in the meantime)
and come back to see if there is trouble in FF.

> >Or it could be other things.
> >
> >Try clearing the cache.
>
> Won't that wipe out all my history?

No.

> I like FF auto-filling pages
> I've visited previously.

We all do, it generally speeds things up. But if the cache is too
large, it may sometimes be best.

Take a look at your Advanced settings,there are options to tick and
untick, some might help? Try turning off Enable Firefox Health Report
(shares data with Mozilla). Try unticking Use hardware acceleration
for a while.

> >And also try running without add-ons. In Safe
> >Mode. To see if any add-ons are involved.
>
> The only add-on I use is Adblock Plus.

What happens besides unwanted ads appearing when you turn off?

--
dorayme
0
(in article <o2hm6o$g6a$1@dont-email.me>):

> I've been getting lots of beachballs on Firefox recently. I quit
> and relaunched the program last night, but now again I'm getting
> slowdowns sometimes a couple of times a minute.
>
> My best guess is that some website I have open in some tab is
> causing the problem, but I don't know how to identify it.
>
> I found an item in Developer Tools called Performance; I made a
> half-minute recording of that and caught a couple of these drop-
> offs, but I don't know how to read the resulting graph to tell
> whether it would indicate the problem site.
>
> Is there any way to determine a specific troublemaker within FF?

I also see this occasionally.  My impression is that the beachball
means it's trying to access the disk, not waiting for a website.
Firefox maintains an awful lot of data (caches, browsing history,
bookmarks, etc.).  My guess is that is periodically spending time
cleaning up and managing it.  Also, if you have a lot of tabs open and
not a lot of ram it might be waiting to swap in and out of memory. I
would look at activity monitor to see if it is disk access or cpu that
is causing the beachball.  In my experience, if it is waiting for a
website it just freezes without throwing a beachball.

--
Nelson

0
Nelson
12/11/2016 1:54:52 PM
In article <do_ray_me-C70CCC.10032311122016@46.sub-75-242-165.myvzw.com>,
dorayme  <do_ray_me@bigpond.com> wrote:
>In article <o2hr6o$1a2$1@dont-email.me>,
> Patty Winter <patty1@wintertime.com> wrote:
>
>> I don't think anything I opened recently was a data-intensive page.
>
>Maybe not to appearance but other sorts of things could be happening.

Ah, good point.

>> I thought of that, but what if the problem doesn't manifest right
>> away?
>
>Yes, it might be a bit inconvenient, but you could pause after opening
>each new site in a new tab (and use another browser in the meantime)
>and come back to see if there is trouble in FF.

Yeah, it's certainly worth a try.

>Take a look at your Advanced settings,there are options to tick and
>untick, some might help? Try turning off Enable Firefox Health Report
>(shares data with Mozilla). Try unticking Use hardware acceleration
>for a while.

Okay.

>> The only add-on I use is Adblock Plus.
>
>What happens besides unwanted ads appearing when you turn off?

Will try that sometime.

I ended up closing a couple windows, each with a few tabs. FF has
been fine since. So I guess it either didn't like something in
one of those windows, or it didn't like having four windows open.

Patty

0
Patty
12/11/2016 11:47:58 PM
In article <0001HW.D472C4DC04D353ADB02919BF@news.astraweb.com>,
Nelson  <nelson@nowhere.com> wrote:
>On Sat, 10 Dec 2016 14:48:40 -0500, Patty Winter wrote
>(in article <o2hm6o$g6a$1@dont-email.me>):
>
>> Is there any way to determine a specific troublemaker within FF?
>
>I also see this occasionally.  My impression is that the beachball
>means it's trying to access the disk, not waiting for a website.

Oh, okay.

>Firefox maintains an awful lot of data (caches, browsing history,
>bookmarks, etc.).  My guess is that is periodically spending time
>cleaning up and managing it.  Also, if you have a lot of tabs open and
>not a lot of ram it might be waiting to swap in and out of memory. I
>would look at activity monitor to see if it is disk access or cpu that
>is causing the beachball.

I've been looking at the default AM tab of CPU. Will look at the
other tabs sometime.

>In my experience, if it is waiting for a
>website it just freezes without throwing a beachball.

That's a good clue, thanks.

Is there anything in the FF diagnostics that gives real-time
indications of any hangups?

Patty

0
Patty
12/11/2016 11:52:18 PM
On Sun, 11 Dec 2016 18:52:18 -0500, Patty Winter wrote
(in article <o2kori$9oq$2@dont-email.me>):

> Is there anything in the FF diagnostics that gives real-time indications of
> any hangups?

Wouldn't know.  Never used them.

--
Nelson

0
Nelson
12/12/2016 12:56:38 AM
In article <o2kori$9oq$2@dont-email.me>, Patty Winter
<patty1@wintertime.com> wrote:

> In article <0001HW.D472C4DC04D353ADB02919BF@news.astraweb.com>,
> Nelson  <nelson@nowhere.com> wrote:
> >On Sat, 10 Dec 2016 14:48:40 -0500, Patty Winter wrote
> >(in article <o2hm6o$g6a$1@dont-email.me>):
> >
> >> Is there any way to determine a specific troublemaker within FF?
> >
> >I also see this occasionally.  My impression is that the beachball
> >means it's trying to access the disk, not waiting for a website.
>
> Oh, okay.
>
> >Firefox maintains an awful lot of data (caches, browsing history,
> >bookmarks, etc.).  My guess is that is periodically spending time
> >cleaning up and managing it.  Also, if you have a lot of tabs open and
> >not a lot of ram it might be waiting to swap in and out of memory. I
> >would look at activity monitor to see if it is disk access or cpu that
> >is causing the beachball.
>
> I've been looking at the default AM tab of CPU. Will look at the
> other tabs sometime.
>

> >In my experience, if it is waiting for a
> >website it just freezes without throwing a beachball.
>
> That's a good clue, thanks.
>
> Is there anything in the FF diagnostics that gives real-time
> indications of any hangups?
>

> Patty

Have you looked at about:performance?

(about:about gives a list of all those about: pages)

Which version of FF?

--
Ed H.
0
Ed H. <phoney@bogus.com> wrote:
>In article <o2kori$9oq$2@dont-email.me>, Patty Winter
><patty1@wintertime.com> wrote:
>
>> Is there anything in the FF diagnostics that gives real-time
>> indications of any hangups?
>
>Have you looked at about:performance?

Oh, very cool. I haven't seen the slowdowns recently but will
definitely keep that diagnostic in mind if it happens again.

>Which version of FF?

50.0.2.

Patty

0
Patty
12/14/2016 5:55:08 AM
On Tue, 13 Dec 2016 23:57:55 -0500, Ed H. wrote
(in article <131220162257557094%phoney@bogus.com>):

[snip]

> Have you looked at about:performance?

Yes...

   "about:performance may currently be slowing down Firefox."

LOL

--
Nelson

0