ipod - would like to keep music off laptop, on ipod

Hope you don't mind me asking your help.  I'd like to put music on my
ipod from CD to laptop to ipod, but then delete the music from the
laptop when it's been moved to the ipod.  However, when I do and then
attach the ipod to my laptop, it synchs to the laptop and, I suppose
not "seeing" the music on the laptop, it blows all the music off the
ipod.  Anyone have any idea how to keep the music on the ipod, but off
the laptop?  Thanks ...

0
tplowe (3)

In article <1120525924.228921.297650@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Todd <tplowe@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hope you don't mind me asking your help.  I'd like to put music on my
> ipod from CD to laptop to ipod, but then delete the music from the
> laptop when it's been moved to the ipod.  However, when I do and then
> attach the ipod to my laptop, it synchs to the laptop and, I suppose
> not "seeing" the music on the laptop, it blows all the music off the
> ipod.  Anyone have any idea how to keep the music on the ipod, but off
> the laptop?  Thanks ...

In iTunes, with the iPod attached, choose Preferences from the iTunes
menu and then click the iPod icon in the toolbar (or click the iPod
Options button at the bottom of the iTunes window).

Turn off the automatic synchronization and opt to "manually" manage the
music on the iPod.

From this point on, you drag the songs/playlists onto the iPod item in
the Source list and, if you want to remove something from the iPod, you
manage that from the Source list as well.

BTW, this is all covered in the Help system.

--
Spenser
0
"Todd" <tplowe@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hope you don't mind me asking your help.  I'd like to put music on my
> ipod from CD to laptop to ipod, but then delete the music from the
> laptop when it's been moved to the ipod.  However, when I do and then
> attach the ipod to my laptop, it synchs to the laptop and, I suppose
> not "seeing" the music on the laptop, it blows all the music off the
> ipod.  Anyone have any idea how to keep the music on the ipod, but off
> the laptop?  Thanks ...

You can turn off automatically synching in the iPod preferences.  I don't
want everything synched to mine so I turned it off.

Greg

Thanks a million, Spenser - I had just spent about a half  hour on the
Apple website looking for the solution and just couldn't find it.  I
appreciate your help very much.

0
Todd
7/5/2005 1:47:53 AM
In article <1120528073.803089.291680@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Todd <tplowe@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks a million, Spenser - I had just spent about a half  hour on the
> Apple website looking for the solution and just couldn't find it.  I
> appreciate your help very much.

If you accidentally leave iTunes set on automatic, you can stop the
automatic update. Open iTunes and then connect iPod holding down the
Command and Option keys. Keep the keys held for several seconds after
the iPod appears in the source column.  Then switch preference to
manual. I haven't tried this in the last couple of updates to iTunes,
but it worked in all the earlier iTunes 4.x.

Cathy

--
"there's a dance or two in the old dame yet." - mehitabel

C.Stevenson, M.D.
cats1921@invalidsonic.net
0
Cathy
7/5/2005 3:34:42 PM
Thanks much, Spencer, Greg and Cathy for your kind replies.

0
Todd
7/8/2005 12:17:28 AM
On 2005-07-04 18:12:04 -0700, "Todd" <tplowe@yahoo.com> said:

> Hope you don't mind me asking your help.  I'd like to put music on my
> ipod from CD to laptop to ipod, but then delete the music from the
> laptop when it's been moved to the ipod.  However, when I do and then
> attach the ipod to my laptop, it synchs to the laptop and, I suppose
> not "seeing" the music on the laptop, it blows all the music off the
> ipod.  Anyone have any idea how to keep the music on the ipod, but off
> the laptop?  Thanks ...

Todd,

Be aware of 2 things:

1)  There's no officially supported way to get your music *back* from
the iPod to a computer.

2)  If you plug the iPod into another machine which has "automatically
manage iPods" (and in particular iTunes on Windows), there's a chance
it will blow away all the songs on your iPod.  If you don't have a
backup somewhere, you are SOL.

My suggestion is, if you need the hard disk space on your laptop, you
should purchase a firewire hard drive (they are CHEAP these days -- you
can get a 30 GB model for like $150) and store the songs THERE.  That
way, if anything bad every happens, you're covered.

0
Bill
7/8/2005 12:50:44 AM
Thanks for the note, Bill - good advice.

0
Todd