iTunes music transfer. Only 'slightly' different

OK to preface, I just want to state that I have looked at a lot of
forums and step-by-step tutorials, but nothing really seems to suit my
unique request.

Because of my ridiculously ordered and controlling nature, I like to
keep all my music in volumes (averaging 9-10Gb in size). The volumes
contain individual .mp3 files and are all have the same filing system,
e.g, 'PowerBook:Mp3's:Volume #:Artist - Song Title.mp3'. I've been
doing it like this since circa '98 when I owned a PC and WinAmp was
king, way before iTunes existed and offered to organise your music
into folders.

Now I'm up to Vol. 10 and the time has come to move this mass of
highly organised files from my PowerBook G4 to an External HD. But my
dilemma is I don't know how to transfer the files from one drive to
another without iTunes changing my filing structure to suit itself.

Is there a way to do this without having to rebuild my playlists and
library? There has to be other people who like to be in control of
their files and/or don't like the way iTunes organises files into
Artist/Album folders.

If anyone has a solution, I'd love to see it.

Thanks
comp.sys.mac.apps 21386 articles. 2 followers. xxx613 (1334) is leader. Post Follow

In article
<f1ee6872-07fe-41b8-9c1c-bff2896a1cfa@i12g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
 marckatsambis@gmail.com wrote:

> Because of my ridiculously ordered and controlling nature, I like to
> keep all my music in volumes (averaging 9-10Gb in size). The volumes
> contain individual .mp3 files and are all have the same filing system,
> e.g, 'PowerBook:Mp3's:Volume #:Artist - Song Title.mp3'. I've been
> doing it like this since circa '98 when I owned a PC and WinAmp was
> king, way before iTunes existed and offered to organise your music
> into folders.

I'm just curious: Why do you prefer to organize your music this way
(besides the obvious answer that it's the way you're used to doing it)?

--
Note: Please send all responses to the relevant news group. If you
must contact me through e-mail, let me know when you send email to

JR
0
Jolly
1/17/2008 9:13:06 AM
> I'm just curious: Why do you prefer to organize your music this way
> (besides the obvious answer that it's the way you're used to doing it)?

Way back when I used to download individual singles from mIRC, this
method of file storing seemed to be the best way to find artists
quickly, as I never had full albums of music to store in folders. As
for the volume thing, I'm not sure how that came about... now I just
like it that way.
0
marckatsambis
1/17/2008 10:24:12 AM
In article
<9bacab8d-d631-41d1-913f-019b2e1ec436@j20g2000hsi.googlegroups.com>,
 marckatsambis@gmail.com wrote:

> > I'm just curious: Why do you prefer to organize your music this way
> > (besides the obvious answer that it's the way you're used to doing it)?
>
> Way back when I used to download individual singles from mIRC, this
> method of file storing seemed to be the best way to find artists
> quickly, as I never had full albums of music to store in folders. As
> for the volume thing, I'm not sure how that came about... now I just
> like it that way.

But now that you have the excellent search and browsing capabilities
both in iTunes and in the Finder (with Spotlight), isn't manual file
organization much less important?

--
Note: Please send all responses to the relevant news group. If you
must contact me through e-mail, let me know when you send email to
this address so that your email doesn't get eaten by my SPAM filter.

JR
0
Jolly
1/17/2008 10:41:55 AM
In article
<jollyroger-B2F8B9.03130617012008@70-3-168-216.area5.spcsdns.net>,
 Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:

> In article
> <f1ee6872-07fe-41b8-9c1c-bff2896a1cfa@i12g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
>  marckatsambis@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Because of my ridiculously ordered and controlling nature, I like to
> > keep all my music in volumes (averaging 9-10Gb in size). The volumes
> > contain individual .mp3 files and are all have the same filing system,
> > e.g, 'PowerBook:Mp3's:Volume #:Artist - Song Title.mp3'. I've been
> > doing it like this since circa '98 when I owned a PC and WinAmp was
> > king, way before iTunes existed and offered to organise your music
> > into folders.
>
> I'm just curious: Why do you prefer to organize your music this way
> (besides the obvious answer that it's the way you're used to doing it)?

"Because of his ridiculously ordered and controlling nature?"

--
Tom Stiller

PGP fingerprint =  5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3  7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
0
Tom
1/17/2008 12:00:34 PM
> "Because of his ridiculously ordered and controlling nature?"
>
> --
> Tom Stiller

Exactly Tom.
0
marckatsambis
1/17/2008 12:04:27 PM
In article
<jollyroger-B2F8B9.03130617012008@70-3-168-216.area5.spcsdns.net>,
 Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:

> In article
> <f1ee6872-07fe-41b8-9c1c-bff2896a1cfa@i12g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
>  marckatsambis@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Because of my ridiculously ordered and controlling nature, I like to
> > keep all my music in volumes (averaging 9-10Gb in size). The volumes
> > contain individual .mp3 files and are all have the same filing system,
> > e.g, 'PowerBook:Mp3's:Volume #:Artist - Song Title.mp3'. I've been
> > doing it like this since circa '98 when I owned a PC and WinAmp was
> > king, way before iTunes existed and offered to organise your music
> > into folders.
>
> I'm just curious: Why do you prefer to organize your music this way
> (besides the obvious answer that it's the way you're used to doing it)?

Perhaps because he would like to have his music library organized the
way he wants it, rather than the way some programmer thinks he should
organize it.  Now, can anybody answer his question instead of asking
another?
0
Matthew
1/17/2008 2:25:51 PM
In article
<lybanon-291549.08255117012008@earthlink.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net>,
 Matthew Lybanon <lybanon@earthlink.net> wrote:

> In article
> <jollyroger-B2F8B9.03130617012008@70-3-168-216.area5.spcsdns.net>,
>  Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:
>
> > In article
> > <f1ee6872-07fe-41b8-9c1c-bff2896a1cfa@i12g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
> >  marckatsambis@gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > > Because of my ridiculously ordered and controlling nature, I like to
> > > keep all my music in volumes (averaging 9-10Gb in size). The volumes
> > > contain individual .mp3 files and are all have the same filing system,
> > > e.g, 'PowerBook:Mp3's:Volume #:Artist - Song Title.mp3'. I've been
> > > doing it like this since circa '98 when I owned a PC and WinAmp was
> > > king, way before iTunes existed and offered to organise your music
> > > into folders.
> >
> > I'm just curious: Why do you prefer to organize your music this way
> > (besides the obvious answer that it's the way you're used to doing it)?
>
> Perhaps because he would like to have his music library organized the
> way he wants it, rather than the way some programmer thinks he should
> organize it.

The question was *why* he wants to organize it differently.

In other words, how does organizing it differently *benefit* him,
exactly?

If he uses the Finder interface to find and play songs 100% of the time,
then I can see file organization *possibly* being an issue. Even then,
though, Spotlight may find songs faster.

If, on the other hand, he finds and plays his music through the iTunes
interface, I don't see how manual, laborious file organization can
really benefit him.

Again, my question is *why* he wants to organize it differently.

> Now, can anybody answer his question instead of asking
> another?

*crickets chirping*

--
Note: Please send all responses to the relevant news group. If you
must contact me through e-mail, let me know when you send email to
this address so that your email doesn't get eaten by my SPAM filter.

JR
0
Jolly
1/17/2008 3:23:03 PM
On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 04:41:55 -0600, Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com>
wrote:

>But now that you have the excellent search and browsing capabilities
>both in iTunes and in the Finder (with Spotlight), isn't manual file
>organization much less important?

Non Mac users use the iTunes version of Spotlight and think it is
crippled.   But it's only crippled in iTunes.
0
Howard
1/17/2008 3:42:07 PM
In article <6ptuo3hd9dq8mf3fpeogojmf00reh8mtqi@4ax.com>,
 Howard Brazee <howard@brazee.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 04:41:55 -0600, Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com>
> wrote:
>
> >But now that you have the excellent search and browsing capabilities
> >both in iTunes and in the Finder (with Spotlight), isn't manual file
> >organization much less important?
>
> Non Mac users use the iTunes version of Spotlight and think it is
> crippled.   But it's only crippled in iTunes.

Crippled how, exactly?

I don't find it crippled at all.

--
Note: Please send all responses to the relevant news group. If you
must contact me through e-mail, let me know when you send email to
this address so that your email doesn't get eaten by my SPAM filter.

JR
0
Jolly
1/17/2008 3:51:29 PM
On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 09:51:29 -0600, Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com>
wrote:

>> Non Mac users use the iTunes version of Spotlight and think it is
>> crippled.   But it's only crippled in iTunes.
>
>Crippled how, exactly?
>
>I don't find it crippled at all.

I have a large library.   Apparently iTune's spotlight doesn't give me
the option of looking for a multi-word title without matching
individual words in whatever order.

Sometimes I don't even see what matched.
0
Howard
1/17/2008 4:15:56 PM
On Jan 17, 1:49=A0am, marckatsam...@gmail.com wrote:
> OK to preface, I just want to state that I have looked at a lot of
> forums and step-by-step tutorials, but nothing really seems to suit my
> unique request.
>
> Because of my ridiculously ordered and controlling nature, I like to
> keep all my music in volumes (averaging 9-10Gb in size). The volumes
> contain individual .mp3 files and are all have the same filing system,
> e.g, 'PowerBook:Mp3's:Volume #:Artist - Song Title.mp3'. I've been
> doing it like this since circa '98 when I owned a PC and WinAmp was
> king, way before iTunes existed and offered to organise your music
> into folders.
>
> Now I'm up to Vol. 10 and the time has come to move this mass of
> highly organised files from my PowerBook G4 to an External HD. But my
> dilemma is I don't know how to transfer the files from one drive to
> another without iTunes changing my filing structure to suit itself.
>
> Is there a way to do this without having to rebuild my playlists and
> library? There has to be other people who like to be in control of
> their files and/or don't like the way iTunes organises files into
> Artist/Album folders.
>
> If anyone has a solution, I'd love to see it.
>
> Thanks

I'm assuming all the Volumes are in (under) a common folder. I would
think that moving that top leve folder to the new drive and then using
a text/XML editor edit the iTunes "preferences" file (I'm experiencing
a senior moment and the correct name escapes me) to point to the new
location. You may need to edit the iTune XML library file(s).

I'm no where near my Mac so the details may be incorrect but the above
is the general idea above is what I used to move my iTunes managed
music en-mass to an external drive.

Mike
0
MikeA
1/17/2008 4:30:00 PM
On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 09:25:51 -0500, Matthew Lybanon wrote
(in article
<lybanon-291549.08255117012008@earthlink.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net>):

> In article
> <jollyroger-B2F8B9.03130617012008@70-3-168-216.area5.spcsdns.net>,
>  Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> In article
>> <f1ee6872-07fe-41b8-9c1c-bff2896a1cfa@i12g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
>> marckatsambis@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> Because of my ridiculously ordered and controlling nature, I like to
>>> keep all my music in volumes (averaging 9-10Gb in size). The volumes
>>> contain individual .mp3 files and are all have the same filing system,
>>> e.g, 'PowerBook:Mp3's:Volume #:Artist - Song Title.mp3'. I've been
>>> doing it like this since circa '98 when I owned a PC and WinAmp was
>>> king, way before iTunes existed and offered to organise your music
>>> into folders.
>>
>> I'm just curious: Why do you prefer to organize your music this way
>> (besides the obvious answer that it's the way you're used to doing it)?
>
> Perhaps because he would like to have his music library organized the
> way he wants it, rather than the way some programmer thinks he should
> organize it.  Now, can anybody answer his question instead of asking
> another?

Perhaps he should move his music one 'volume' at a time to the new drive(s).

Or not.

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 08:30:00 -0800 (PST), MikeA <mjamundsen@gmail.com>
wrote:

>I'm assuming all the Volumes are in (under) a common folder. I would
>think that moving that top leve folder to the new drive and then using
>a text/XML editor edit the iTunes "preferences" file (I'm experiencing
>a senior moment and the correct name escapes me) to point to the new
>location. You may need to edit the iTune XML library file(s).

If I'm not mistaken, editing the XML library file won't make a
permanent change - it is basically a report created from the real
database (.itl?), in a form that is accessible to others.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me.

0
Howard
1/17/2008 5:01:48 PM
MikeA <mjamundsen@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm assuming all the Volumes are in (under) a common folder. I would
> think that moving that top leve folder to the new drive and then using
> a text/XML editor edit the iTunes "preferences" file (I'm experiencing
> a senior moment and the correct name escapes me) to point to the new
> location. You may need to edit the iTune XML library file(s).
>
> I'm no where near my Mac so the details may be incorrect but the above
> is the general idea above is what I used to move my iTunes managed
> music en-mass to an external drive.

That doesn't appear to work.  I tried to move my iTunes library from my
home Mac to my work PC by editing the XML, in order to keep my
playlists.  The music works fine on the work PC, but the playlists are
all lost.

I would love to find a way to move from one machine to another and keep
all the existing playlists too.

For keeping the directory structure though, just go to the iTunes prefs
and under Advanced, turn off the box that says "Keep iTunes music
organized"

With that off, it will just keep the organization you already have.  You
can also turn off (in the same panel) "copy the files to iTunes folder"
and it will just reference the location you already have.

--
- Burt Johnson
  MindStorm, Inc.
Matthew Lybanon <lybanon@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Perhaps because he would like to have his music library organized the
> way he wants it, rather than the way some programmer thinks he should
> organize it.  Now, can anybody answer his question instead of asking
> another?

Go to the Preferencs -> Advanced tab.  There are two boxes there that
are relevant.  turn them both off.  One says "organize my iTunes music"
and the other is "copy files to iTunes folder" (text is approximate as I
don't have it available right now).

With those two off, iTumes will just use the music in the location you
already have.

However... I have not found a way for iTunes to honor the playlists
already created on another machine.  I would love to learn that
particular trick myself...

--
On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 17:11:54 GMT, burt@mindstorm-inc.com (Burt
Johnson) wrote:

>That doesn't appear to work.  I tried to move my iTunes library from my
>home Mac to my work PC by editing the XML, in order to keep my
>playlists.  The music works fine on the work PC, but the playlists are
>all lost.
>
>I would love to find a way to move from one machine to another and keep
>all the existing playlists too.
>
>For keeping the directory structure though, just go to the iTunes prefs
>and under Advanced, turn off the box that says "Keep iTunes music
>organized"

When I moved to my Mac, I first started my iTunes, and set it to Keep
iTunes music organized, and burned a CD.

Then I exited iTunes, and copied my whole iTunes folder and all
subfolders from my Windows machine to my Mac iTunes folder.

Then I started iTunes, and all of my playlists, play counts, ratings,
etc. were there.   Some podcasts seemed changed, but nothing else.
0
Howard
1/17/2008 5:42:15 PM
On Jan 17, 1:49=A0am, marckatsam...@gmail.com wrote:

> Now I'm up to Vol. 10 and the time has come to move this mass of
> highly organised files from my PowerBook G4 to an External HD. But my
> dilemma is I don't know how to transfer the files from one drive to
> another without iTunes changing my filing structure to suit itself.
>
> Is there a way to do this without having to rebuild my playlists and
> library? There has to be other people who like to be in control of
> their files and/or don't like the way iTunes organises files into
> Artist/Album folders.

I don't like how iTunes organizes the files and directories on my hard
drive either. Somewhere there is a preference setting that allows me
to do my own organization. You probably know where that is. I have
moved my files around several times, always keeping my own
organization. Here is how I do it.

Open iTunes, select all the music and delete it. Be sure that you
don't delete the music files as well. It will as if you want to do
that; just say NO!. Move all your music to the other drive/location in
Finder. Finally, drag the folder containing all your music into the
now empty iTunes window. Done.

All the play lists will be lost. I don't know a way around that.

0
roj
1/17/2008 6:24:47 PM
On Jan 17, 4:41=A0am, Jolly Roger <jollyro...@pobox.com> wrote:

> But now that you have the excellent search and browsing capabilities
> both in iTunes and in the Finder (with Spotlight), isn't manual file
> organization much less important?

I organize my music in Finder the way I want to organize it. I am the
master; the computer is the slave. I hate when software tries to
reverse those roles.

There are many reasons for organizing it my way. Generally, I like my
music organized first by artist and then by album and iTunes will do
it that way. But iTunes organizes ALL music by artist and then by
album. I only like the "by artist" organization for my favorite
artists. There are a lot of artists in my collection which have but a
single song. That makes the iTunes hierarchy a mess in Finder. I put
all that junk in one folder and call it "singles". I have music from
all kinds of sources. In some cases "album" doesn't even make sense.
So that goes somewhere else. I like to put the work of artists who did
solo work in the same folder as the group. So the Yes folder could
also contain works by Wakeman, Anderson, Howe, and Moraz. I like all
the Christmas music, regardless of the artist in a single folder.
Classical music has another set of classification problems. I've been
collecting music for 35 years and I've got a lot of music; no simple
iTunes organization scheme is going to put it where I can find it on
my hard drive. I don't use iTunes to play music. I only use it for
organizing my iPod. So I'm not usually in iTunes to play music. Also
there are many reasons for wanting to find a song for purposes other
than listening to it. I'm in Finder in those cases. I'm visually
oriented. For every album I own I paste the album cover art work onto
the folder containing the songs and that makes them easy to identify
in Finder. I can find what I want quicker from the art work than from
the text title underneath it. The covers are laid out in two
dimensions so I can see them all. iTunes had album covers, but the
presentation is linear. I have to scroll to see them all. That's
slower. I like hierarchies, they are much quicker to traverse with
point and click than linear lists. iTunes is linear. SoundJam let me
organize artists and albums in hierarchies. Apple removed that when
they transmogrified SoundJam into iTunes. I like hierarchies; I like
Finder. It's all about classification paradigms and my experience is
no one, not even the programmers at Apple, classify things the way
that I classify them.

iPhoto doesn't let me organize my photos arbitrarily in Finder like
iTunes will. For that reason I don't use iPhoto at all. I use Finder
and iView MedioPro.

0
roj
1/17/2008 7:07:23 PM
In article <29vuo3ltqcvdqbm9aeutbqc5959d5sch4m@4ax.com>,
 Howard Brazee <howard@brazee.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 09:51:29 -0600, Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com>
> wrote:
>
> >> Non Mac users use the iTunes version of Spotlight and think it is
> >> crippled.   But it's only crippled in iTunes.
> >
> >Crippled how, exactly?
> >
> >I don't find it crippled at all.
>
> I have a large library.   Apparently iTune's spotlight doesn't give me
> the option of looking for a multi-word title without matching
> individual words in whatever order.
>
> Sometimes I don't even see what matched.

Have you tried enclosing the phrase of words in quotes?

--
Note: Please send all responses to the relevant news group. If you
must contact me through e-mail, let me know when you send email to
this address so that your email doesn't get eaten by my SPAM filter.

JR
0
Jolly
1/17/2008 9:07:57 PM
Jolly Roger. I can understand how you 'don't get it'. I'm sure the
idea of renaming every single file a certain way seems laborious to a
lot of people. However, to me, it is a labour of love. I'm incredibly
particular about the smallest of details. You should see my work
space. Everything is perfectly positioned and sits evenly distributed
at right angles. It's just my nature, and I like things to be just
so.

Now I've been naming my files this way since '98 and do not intend to
stop now. So I would really like to find an answer, if there is one,
to my problem.

I hope you can understand this small obsession of mine and perhaps
offer me a solution.

Cheers
0
marckatsambis
1/17/2008 10:29:23 PM
On Jan 18, 3:30=A0am, MikeA <mjamund...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 17, 1:49=A0am, marckatsam...@gmail.com wrote:
>

> > OK to preface, I just want to state that I have looked at a lot of
> > forums and step-by-step tutorials, but nothing really seems to suit my
> > unique request.
>
> > Because of my ridiculously ordered and controlling nature, I like to
> > keep all my music in volumes (averaging 9-10Gb in size). The volumes
> > contain individual .mp3 files and are all have the same filing system,
> > e.g, 'PowerBook:Mp3's:Volume #:Artist - Song Title.mp3'. I've been
> > doing it like this since circa '98 when I owned a PC and WinAmp was
> > king, way before iTunes existed and offered to organise your music
> > into folders.
>
> > Now I'm up to Vol. 10 and the time has come to move this mass of
> > highly organised files from my PowerBook G4 to an External HD. But my
> > dilemma is I don't know how to transfer the files from one drive to
> > another without iTunes changing my filing structure to suit itself.
>
> > Is there a way to do this without having to rebuild my playlists and
> > library? There has to be other people who like to be in control of
> > their files and/or don't like the way iTunes organises files into
> > Artist/Album folders.
>
> > If anyone has a solution, I'd love to see it.
>
> > Thanks
>
> I'm assuming all the Volumes are in (under) a common folder. I would
> think that moving that top leve folder to the new drive and then using
> a text/XML editor edit the iTunes "preferences" file (I'm experiencing
> a senior moment and the correct name escapes me) to point to the new
> location. You may need to edit the iTune XML library file(s).
>
> I'm no where near my Mac so the details may be incorrect but the above
> is the general idea above is what I used to move my iTunes managed
> music en-mass to an external drive.
>
> Mike

Thanks Mike, I've considered this as an option and I can't see why it
wouldn't work.

I'm just hoping that iTunes has a procedure or even a 3rd party app
that might be able to do it for me and it get it right the first time.
0
marckatsambis
1/17/2008 10:32:22 PM
On Jan 18, 4:11=A0am, b...@mindstorm-inc.com (Burt Johnson) wrote:
> MikeA <mjamund...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm assuming all the Volumes are in (under) a common folder. I would
> > think that moving that top leve folder to the new drive and then using
> > a text/XML editor edit the iTunes "preferences" file (I'm experiencing
> > a senior moment and the correct name escapes me) to point to the new
> > location. You may need to edit the iTune XML library file(s).
>
> > I'm no where near my Mac so the details may be incorrect but the above
> > is the general idea above is what I used to move my iTunes managed
> > music en-mass to an external drive.
>
> That doesn't appear to work. =A0I tried to move my iTunes library from my
> home Mac to my work PC by editing the XML, in order to keep my
> playlists. =A0The music works fine on the work PC, but the playlists are
> all lost.
>
> I would love to find a way to move from one machine to another and keep
> all the existing playlists too.
>
> For keeping the directory structure though, just go to the iTunes prefs
> and under Advanced, turn off the box that says "Keep iTunes music
> organized"
>
> With that off, it will just keep the organization you already have. =A0You=

> can also turn off (in the same panel) "copy the files to iTunes folder"
> and it will just reference the location you already have.
>
> --
> - Burt Johnson
> =A0 MindStorm, Inc.
> =A0http://www.mindstorm-inc.com/software.html

Burt these options are already as you suggested. So what would be my
next step?
0
marckatsambis
1/17/2008 10:34:41 PM
> All the play lists will be lost. I don't know a way around that.

Cheers roj, but that is one of the key factors I'm trying to get
around. :)

0
marckatsambis
1/17/2008 10:37:59 PM
Howard Brazee <howard@brazee.net> wrote:

> When I moved to my Mac, I first started my iTunes, and set it to Keep
> iTunes music organized, and burned a CD.
>
> Then I exited iTunes, and copied my whole iTunes folder and all
> subfolders from my Windows machine to my Mac iTunes folder.
>
> Then I started iTunes, and all of my playlists, play counts, ratings,
> etc. were there.   Some podcasts seemed changed, but nothing else.

hmmm... What I tried was "keep organized" on my Mac (which had been my
state for years).  Copied the entire iTunes folder to a USB drive.

Took that USB drive to work and hooked to a PC.  There I told iTunes to
"keep organized" but changed the target folder to the USB drive.

It sees all the music and plays it fine, but no playlists made the
transition.  I also tried editing the XML to the PC style directory
"E:\...", but that did not help either.

--
- Burt Johnson
  MindStorm, Inc.
  http://www.mindstorm-inc.com/software.html
0
burt
1/18/2008 12:47:23 AM
In article
<2afeff5b-fef9-4f66-8953-b3692b5f601f@h11g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
 marckatsambis@gmail.com wrote:

> Jolly Roger. I can understand how you 'don't get it'. I'm sure the
> idea of renaming every single file a certain way seems laborious to a
> lot of people. However, to me, it is a labour of love. I'm incredibly
> particular about the smallest of details. You should see my work
> space. Everything is perfectly positioned and sits evenly distributed
> at right angles. It's just my nature, and I like things to be just
> so.
>
> Now I've been naming my files this way since '98 and do not intend to
> stop now. So I would really like to find an answer, if there is one,
> to my problem.
>
> I hope you can understand this small obsession of mine and perhaps
> offer me a solution.

Fair enough.  I don't think I can offer anything more than others here
have already offered. I'm afraid you'll hav to try their suggestions and
report back.  Be sure to make a backup first, so you can easily restore
things if it doesnt work out the way you want.

--
Note: Please send all responses to the relevant news group. If you
must contact me through e-mail, let me know when you send email to
this address so that your email doesn't get eaten by my SPAM filter.

JR
0
Jolly
1/18/2008 2:49:17 AM
On Jan 18, 3:30=A0am, MikeA <mjamund...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 17, 1:49=A0am, marckatsam...@gmail.com wrote:
>

> > OK to preface, I just want to state that I have looked at a lot of
> > forums and step-by-step tutorials, but nothing really seems to suit my
> > unique request.
>
> > Because of my ridiculously ordered and controlling nature, I like to
> > keep all my music in volumes (averaging 9-10Gb in size). The volumes
> > contain individual .mp3 files and are all have the same filing system,
> > e.g, 'PowerBook:Mp3's:Volume #:Artist - Song Title.mp3'. I've been
> > doing it like this since circa '98 when I owned a PC and WinAmp was
> > king, way before iTunes existed and offered to organise your music
> > into folders.
>
> > Now I'm up to Vol. 10 and the time has come to move this mass of
> > highly organised files from my PowerBook G4 to an External HD. But my
> > dilemma is I don't know how to transfer the files from one drive to
> > another without iTunes changing my filing structure to suit itself.
>
> > Is there a way to do this without having to rebuild my playlists and
> > library? There has to be other people who like to be in control of
> > their files and/or don't like the way iTunes organises files into
> > Artist/Album folders.
>
> > If anyone has a solution, I'd love to see it.
>
> > Thanks
>
> I'm assuming all the Volumes are in (under) a common folder. I would
> think that moving that top leve folder to the new drive and then using
> a text/XML editor edit the iTunes "preferences" file (I'm experiencing
> a senior moment and the correct name escapes me) to point to the new
> location. You may need to edit the iTune XML library file(s).
>
> I'm no where near my Mac so the details may be incorrect but the above
> is the general idea above is what I used to move my iTunes managed
> music en-mass to an external drive.
>
> Mike

I decided to give Mike's method a go, as it sounded like the most
logical and straight forward, and tada... it worked!

Here is what I did:

1. Back up the Library (File > Export Library..)

2. Copy, not move, music files to the new location.

3. Find out what the new directory path is. To do this, I added a
single track from the new directory into the iTunes Music Library and
then select the song and 'Get Info' (Cmd+I).

4. Once the path is noted/copied, delete the single track from the
library so you have a 'clean slate'

5. Open the Library.xml file in TextEdit, and do a simple 'Find and
Replace' (Cmd+F) and change the old directory path in the 'Find' text
field and add the new directory path into the 'Replace' text field.

6. Save the file.

7. In iTunes, import your Library.xml file (File > Import..) (Cmd+Shift
+O).

8. iTunes will now reimport your library as it was, only now the songs
are being targeted from your new directory. Depending on the size of
your collection, this can take a little while.

9. That's it!!

NB: Playlists copied across perfectly. However, there are some minor
things that did not copy over including, Play Count, Last Played and
Ratings. The artwork seemed to copy across on about 90% of my albums,
I'm not sure why some are now missing. The view also goes back to
default, which meant I had to click on the 'Cover Flow' view icon for
each playlist so that I could see the albums artwork. I also had to
click the 'Track' column for each playlist to sort the album's music
in the correct order.

I hope this helps anyone else who was a little unsure about what to
do.

Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions.

Cheers,
Marc
0
marckatsambis