iTunes music transfer. Only 'slightly' different

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

OK to preface, I just want to state that I have looked at a lot of
forums and step-by-step tutorials, but nothing really seems to suit my
unique request.

Because of my ridiculously ordered and controlling nature, I like to
keep all my music in volumes (averaging 9-10Gb in size). The volumes
contain individual .mp3 files and are all have the same filing system,
e.g, 'PowerBook:Mp3's:Volume #:Artist - Song Title.mp3'. I've been
doing it like this since circa '98 when I owned a PC and WinAmp was
king, way before iTunes existed and offered to organise your music
into folders.

Now I'm up to Vol. 10 and the time has come to move this mass of
highly organised files from my PowerBook G4 to an External HD. But my
dilemma is I don't know how to transfer the files from one drive to
another without iTunes changing my filing structure to suit itself.

Is there a way to do this without having to rebuild my playlists and
library? There has to be other people who like to be in control of
their files and/or don't like the way iTunes organises files into
Artist/Album folders.

If anyone has a solution, I'd love to see it.

Thanks
0
Reply marckatsambis (5) 1/17/2008 7:49:30 AM

See related articles to this posting

In article
<f1ee6872-07fe-41b8-9c1c-bff2896a1cfa@i12g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
 marckatsambis@gmail.com wrote:

> Because of my ridiculously ordered and controlling nature, I like to
> keep all my music in volumes (averaging 9-10Gb in size). The volumes
> contain individual .mp3 files and are all have the same filing system,
> e.g, 'PowerBook:Mp3's:Volume #:Artist - Song Title.mp3'. I've been
> doing it like this since circa '98 when I owned a PC and WinAmp was
> king, way before iTunes existed and offered to organise your music
> into folders.

I'm just curious: Why do you prefer to organize your music this way
(besides the obvious answer that it's the way you're used to doing it)?

--
Note: Please send all responses to the relevant news group. If you
must contact me through e-mail, let me know when you send email to

JR
0
Reply Jolly 1/17/2008 9:13:06 AM

> I'm just curious: Why do you prefer to organize your music this way
> (besides the obvious answer that it's the way you're used to doing it)?

Way back when I used to download individual singles from mIRC, this
method of file storing seemed to be the best way to find artists
quickly, as I never had full albums of music to store in folders. As
for the volume thing, I'm not sure how that came about... now I just
like it that way.
0
Reply marckatsambis 1/17/2008 10:24:12 AM

In article
<9bacab8d-d631-41d1-913f-019b2e1ec436@j20g2000hsi.googlegroups.com>,
 marckatsambis@gmail.com wrote:

> > I'm just curious: Why do you prefer to organize your music this way
> > (besides the obvious answer that it's the way you're used to doing it)?
>
> Way back when I used to download individual singles from mIRC, this
> method of file storing seemed to be the best way to find artists
> quickly, as I never had full albums of music to store in folders. As
> for the volume thing, I'm not sure how that came about... now I just
> like it that way.

But now that you have the excellent search and browsing capabilities
both in iTunes and in the Finder (with Spotlight), isn't manual file
organization much less important?

--
Note: Please send all responses to the relevant news group. If you
must contact me through e-mail, let me know when you send email to
this address so that your email doesn't get eaten by my SPAM filter.

JR
0
Reply Jolly 1/17/2008 10:41:55 AM

In article
<jollyroger-B2F8B9.03130617012008@70-3-168-216.area5.spcsdns.net>,
 Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:

> In article
> <f1ee6872-07fe-41b8-9c1c-bff2896a1cfa@i12g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
>  marckatsambis@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Because of my ridiculously ordered and controlling nature, I like to
> > keep all my music in volumes (averaging 9-10Gb in size). The volumes
> > contain individual .mp3 files and are all have the same filing system,
> > e.g, 'PowerBook:Mp3's:Volume #:Artist - Song Title.mp3'. I've been
> > doing it like this since circa '98 when I owned a PC and WinAmp was
> > king, way before iTunes existed and offered to organise your music
> > into folders.
>
> I'm just curious: Why do you prefer to organize your music this way
> (besides the obvious answer that it's the way you're used to doing it)?

"Because of his ridiculously ordered and controlling nature?"

--
Tom Stiller

PGP fingerprint =  5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3  7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
0
Reply Tom 1/17/2008 12:00:34 PM

> "Because of his ridiculously ordered and controlling nature?"
>
> --
> Tom Stiller

Exactly Tom.
0
Reply marckatsambis 1/17/2008 12:04:27 PM

In article
<jollyroger-B2F8B9.03130617012008@70-3-168-216.area5.spcsdns.net>,
 Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:

> In article
> <f1ee6872-07fe-41b8-9c1c-bff2896a1cfa@i12g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
>  marckatsambis@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Because of my ridiculously ordered and controlling nature, I like to
> > keep all my music in volumes (averaging 9-10Gb in size). The volumes
> > contain individual .mp3 files and are all have the same filing system,
> > e.g, 'PowerBook:Mp3's:Volume #:Artist - Song Title.mp3'. I've been
> > doing it like this since circa '98 when I owned a PC and WinAmp was
> > king, way before iTunes existed and offered to organise your music
> > into folders.
>
> I'm just curious: Why do you prefer to organize your music this way
> (besides the obvious answer that it's the way you're used to doing it)?

Perhaps because he would like to have his music library organized the
way he wants it, rather than the way some programmer thinks he should
organize it.  Now, can anybody answer his question instead of asking
another?
0
Reply Matthew 1/17/2008 2:25:51 PM

In article
<lybanon-291549.08255117012008@earthlink.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net>,
 Matthew Lybanon <lybanon@earthlink.net> wrote:

> In article
> <jollyroger-B2F8B9.03130617012008@70-3-168-216.area5.spcsdns.net>,
>  Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:
>
> > In article
> > <f1ee6872-07fe-41b8-9c1c-bff2896a1cfa@i12g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
> >  marckatsambis@gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > > Because of my ridiculously ordered and controlling nature, I like to
> > > keep all my music in volumes (averaging 9-10Gb in size). The volumes
> > > contain individual .mp3 files and are all have the same filing system,
> > > e.g, 'PowerBook:Mp3's:Volume #:Artist - Song Title.mp3'. I've been
> > > doing it like this since circa '98 when I owned a PC and WinAmp was
> > > king, way before iTunes existed and offered to organise your music
> > > into folders.
> >
> > I'm just curious: Why do you prefer to organize your music this way
> > (besides the obvious answer that it's the way you're used to doing it)?
>
> Perhaps because he would like to have his music library organized the
> way he wants it, rather than the way some programmer thinks he should
> organize it.

The question was *why* he wants to organize it differently.

In other words, how does organizing it differently *benefit* him,
exactly?

If he uses the Finder interface to find and play songs 100% of the time,
then I can see file organization *possibly* being an issue. Even then,
though, Spotlight may find songs faster.

If, on the other hand, he finds and plays his music through the iTunes
interface, I don't see how manual, laborious file organization can
really benefit him.

Again, my question is *why* he wants to organize it differently.

> Now, can anybody answer his question instead of asking
> another?

*crickets chirping*

--
Note: Please send all responses to the relevant news group. If you
must contact me through e-mail, let me know when you send email to
this address so that your email doesn't get eaten by my SPAM filter.

JR
0
Reply Jolly 1/17/2008 3:23:03 PM

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 04:41:55 -0600, Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com>
wrote:

>But now that you have the excellent search and browsing capabilities
>both in iTunes and in the Finder (with Spotlight), isn't manual file
>organization much less important?

Non Mac users use the iTunes version of Spotlight and think it is
crippled.   But it's only crippled in iTunes.
0
Reply Howard 1/17/2008 3:42:07 PM

In article <6ptuo3hd9dq8mf3fpeogojmf00reh8mtqi@4ax.com>,
 Howard Brazee <howard@brazee.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 04:41:55 -0600, Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com>
> wrote:
>
> >But now that you have the excellent search and browsing capabilities
> >both in iTunes and in the Finder (with Spotlight), isn't manual file
> >organization much less important?
>
> Non Mac users use the iTunes version of Spotlight and think it is
> crippled.   But it's only crippled in iTunes.

Crippled how, exactly?

I don't find it crippled at all.

--
Note: Please send all responses to the relevant news group. If you
must contact me through e-mail, let me know when you send email to
this address so that your email doesn't get eaten by my SPAM filter.

JR
0
Reply Jolly 1/17/2008 3:51:29 PM

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 09:51:29 -0600, Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com>
wrote:

>> Non Mac users use the iTunes version of Spotlight and think it is
>> crippled.   But it's only crippled in iTunes.
>
>Crippled how, exactly?
>
>I don't find it crippled at all.

I have a large library.   Apparently iTune's spotlight doesn't give me
the option of looking for a multi-word title without matching
individual words in whatever order.

Sometimes I don't even see what matched.
0
Reply Howard 1/17/2008 4:15:56 PM

On Jan 17, 1:49=A0am, marckatsam...@gmail.com wrote:
> OK to preface, I just want to state that I have looked at a lot of
> forums and step-by-step tutorials, but nothing really seems to suit my
> unique request.
>
> Because of my ridiculously ordered and controlling nature, I like to
> keep all my music in volumes (averaging 9-10Gb in size). The volumes
> contain individual .mp3 files and are all have the same filing system,
> e.g, 'PowerBook:Mp3's:Volume #:Artist - Song Title.mp3'. I've been
> doing it like this since circa '98 when I owned a PC and WinAmp was
> king, way before iTunes existed and offered to organise your music
> into folders.
>
> Now I'm up to Vol. 10 and the time has come to move this mass of
> highly organised files from my PowerBook G4 to an External HD. But my
> dilemma is I don't know how to transfer the files from one drive to
> another without iTunes changing my filing structure to suit itself.
>
> Is there a way to do this without having to rebuild my playlists and
> library? There has to be other people who like to be in control of
> their files and/or don't like the way iTunes organises files into
> Artist/Album folders.
>
> If anyone has a solution, I'd love to see it.
>
> Thanks

I'm assuming all the Volumes are in (under) a common folder. I would
think that moving that top leve folder to the new drive and then using
a text/XML editor edit the iTunes "preferences" file (I'm experiencing
a senior moment and the correct name escapes me) to point to the new
location. You may need to edit the iTune XML library file(s).

I'm no where near my Mac so the details may be incorrect but the above
is the general idea above is what I used to move my iTunes managed
music en-mass to an external drive.

Mike
0
Reply MikeA 1/17/2008 4:30:00 PM

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 09:25:51 -0500, Matthew Lybanon wrote
(in article
<lybanon-291549.08255117012008@earthlink.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net>):

> In article
> <jollyroger-B2F8B9.03130617012008@70-3-168-216.area5.spcsdns.net>,
>  Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> In article
>> <f1ee6872-07fe-41b8-9c1c-bff2896a1cfa@i12g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
>> marckatsambis@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> Because of my ridiculously ordered and controlling nature, I like to
>>> keep all my music in volumes (averaging 9-10Gb in size). The volumes
>>> contain individual .mp3 files and are all have the same filing system,
>>> e.g, 'PowerBook:Mp3's:Volume #:Artist - Song Title.mp3'. I've been
>>> doing it like this since circa '98 when I owned a PC and WinAmp was
>>> king, way before iTunes existed and offered to organise your music
>>> into folders.
>>
>> I'm just curious: Why do you prefer to organize your music this way
>> (besides the obvious answer that it's the way you're used to doing it)?
>
> Perhaps because he would like to have his music library organized the
> way he wants it, rather than the way some programmer thinks he should
> organize it.  Now, can anybody answer his question instead of asking
> another?

Perhaps he should move his music one 'volume' at a time to the new drive(s).

Or not.

Reply J 1/17/2008 4:58:53 PM

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 08:30:00 -0800 (PST), MikeA <mjamundsen@gmail.com>
wrote:

>I'm assuming all the Volumes are in (under) a common folder. I would
>think that moving that top leve folder to the new drive and then using
>a text/XML editor edit the iTunes "preferences" file (I'm experiencing
>a senior moment and the correct name escapes me) to point to the new
>location. You may need to edit the iTune XML library file(s).

If I'm not mistaken, editing the XML library file won't make a
permanent change - it is basically a report created from the real
database (.itl?), in a form that is accessible to others.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me.

0
Reply Howard 1/17/2008 5:01:48 PM

Matthew Lybanon <lybanon@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Perhaps because he would like to have his music library organized the
> way he wants it, rather than the way some programmer thinks he should
> organize it.  Now, can anybody answer his question instead of asking
> another?

Go to the Preferencs -> Advanced tab.  There are two boxes there that
are relevant.  turn them both off.  One says "organize my iTunes music"
and the other is "copy files to iTunes folder" (text is approximate as I
don't have it available right now).

With those two off, iTumes will just use the music in the location you
already have.

However... I have not found a way for iTunes to honor the playlists
already created on another machine.  I would love to learn that
particular trick myself...

--
- Burt Johnson
  MindStorm, Inc.

MikeA <mjamundsen@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm assuming all the Volumes are in (under) a common folder. I would
> think that moving that top leve folder to the new drive and then using
> a text/XML editor edit the iTunes "preferences" file (I'm experiencing
> a senior moment and the correct name escapes me) to point to the new
> location. You may need to edit the iTune XML library file(s).
>
> I'm no where near my Mac so the details may be incorrect but the above
> is the general idea above is what I used to move my iTunes managed
> music en-mass to an external drive.

That doesn't appear to work.  I tried to move my iTunes library from my
home Mac to my work PC by editing the XML, in order to keep my
playlists.  The music works fine on the work PC, but the playlists are
all lost.

I would love to find a way to move from one machine to another and keep
all the existing playlists too.

For keeping the directory structure though, just go to the iTunes prefs
and under Advanced, turn off the box that says "Keep iTunes music
organized"

With that off, it will just keep the organization you already have.  You
can also turn off (in the same panel) "copy the files to iTunes folder"
and it will just reference the location you already have.

--

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 17:11:54 GMT, burt@mindstorm-inc.com (Burt
Johnson) wrote:

>That doesn't appear to work.  I tried to move my iTunes library from my
>home Mac to my work PC by editing the XML, in order to keep my
>playlists.  The music works fine on the work PC, but the playlists are
>all lost.
>
>I would love to find a way to move from one machine to another and keep
>all the existing playlists too.
>
>For keeping the directory structure though, just go to the iTunes prefs
>and under Advanced, turn off the box that says "Keep iTunes music
>organized"

When I moved to my Mac, I first started my iTunes, and set it to Keep
iTunes music organized, and burned a CD.

Then I exited iTunes, and copied my whole iTunes folder and all
subfolders from my Windows machine to my Mac iTunes folder.

Then I started iTunes, and all of my playlists, play counts, ratings,
etc. were there.   Some podcasts seemed changed, but nothing else.
0
Reply Howard 1/17/2008 5:42:15 PM

On Jan 17, 1:49=A0am, marckatsam...@gmail.com wrote:

> Now I'm up to Vol. 10 and the time has come to move this mass of
> highly organised files from my PowerBook G4 to an External HD. But my
> dilemma is I don't know how to transfer the files from one drive to
> another without iTunes changing my filing structure to suit itself.
>
> Is there a way to do this without having to rebuild my playlists and
> library? There has to be other people who like to be in control of
> their files and/or don't like the way iTunes organises files into
> Artist/Album folders.

I don't like how iTunes organizes the files and directories on my hard
drive either. Somewhere there is a preference setting that allows me
to do my own organization. You probably know where that is. I have
moved my files around several times, always keeping my own
organization. Here is how I do it.

Open iTunes, select all the music and delete it. Be sure that you
don't delete the music files as well. It will as if you want to do
that; just say NO!. Move all your music to the other drive/location in
Finder. Finally, drag the folder containing all your music into the
now empty iTunes window. Done.

All the play lists will be lost. I don't know a way around that.

0
Reply roj 1/17/2008 6:24:47 PM

On Jan 17, 4:41=A0am, Jolly Roger <jollyro...@pobox.com> wrote:

> But now that you have the excellent search and browsing capabilities
> both in iTunes and in the Finder (with Spotlight), isn't manual file
> organization much less important?

I organize my music in Finder the way I want to organize it. I am the
master; the computer is the slave. I hate when software tries to
reverse those roles.

There are many reasons for organizing it my way. Generally, I like my
music organized first by artist and then by album and iTunes will do
it that way. But iTunes organizes ALL music by artist and then by
album. I only like the "by artist" organization for my favorite
artists. There are a lot of artists in my collection which have but a
single song. That makes the iTunes hierarchy a mess in Finder. I put
all that junk in one folder and call it "singles". I have music from
all kinds of sources. In some cases "album" doesn't even make sense.
So that goes somewhere else. I like to put the work of artists who did
solo work in the same folder as the group. So the Yes folder could
also contain works by Wakeman, Anderson, Howe, and Moraz. I like all
the Christmas music, regardless of the artist in a single folder.
Classical music has another set of classification problems. I've been
collecting music for 35 years and I've got a lot of music; no simple
iTunes organization scheme is going to put it where I can find it on
my hard drive. I don't use iTunes to play music. I only use it for
organizing my iPod. So I'm not usually in iTunes to play music. Also
there are many reasons for wanting to find a song for purposes other
than listening to it. I'm in Finder in those cases. I'm visually
oriented. For every album I own I paste the album cover art work onto
the folder containing the songs and that makes them easy to identify
in Finder. I can find what I want quicker from the art work than from
the text title underneath it. The covers are laid out in two
dimensions so I can see them all. iTunes had album covers, but the
presentation is linear. I have to scroll to see them all. That's
slower. I like hierarchies, they are much quicker to traverse with
point and click than linear lists. iTunes is linear. SoundJam let me
organize artists and albums in hierarchies. Apple removed that when
they transmogrified SoundJam into iTunes. I like hierarchies; I like
Finder. It's all about classification paradigms and my experience is
no one, not even the programmers at Apple, classify things the way
that I classify them.

iPhoto doesn't let me organize my photos arbitrarily in Finder like
iTunes will. For that reason I don't use iPhoto at all. I use Finder
and iView MedioPro.

0
Reply roj 1/17/2008 7:07:23 PM

In article <29vuo3ltqcvdqbm9aeutbqc5959d5sch4m@4ax.com>,
 Howard Brazee <howard@brazee.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 09:51:29 -0600, Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com>
> wrote:
>
> >> Non Mac users use the iTunes version of Spotlight and think it is
> >> crippled.   But it's only crippled in iTunes.
> >
> >Crippled how, exactly?
> >
> >I don't find it crippled at all.
>
> I have a large library.   Apparently iTune's spotlight doesn't give me
> the option of looking for a multi-word title without matching
> individual words in whatever order.
>
> Sometimes I don't even see what matched.

Have you tried enclosing the phrase of words in quotes?

--
Note: Please send all responses to the relevant news group. If you
must contact me through e-mail, let me know when you send email to
this address so that your email doesn't get eaten by my SPAM filter.

JR
0
Reply Jolly 1/17/2008 9:07:57 PM

Jolly Roger. I can understand how you 'don't get it'. I'm sure the
idea of renaming every single file a certain way seems laborious to a
lot of people. However, to me, it is a labour of love. I'm incredibly
particular about the smallest of details. You should see my work
space. Everything is perfectly positioned and sits evenly distributed
at right angles. It's just my nature, and I like things to be just
so.

Now I've been naming my files this way since '98 and do not intend to
stop now. So I would really like to find an answer, if there is one,
to my problem.

I hope you can understand this small obsession of mine and perhaps
offer me a solution.

Cheers
0
Reply marckatsambis 1/17/2008 10:29:23 PM

On Jan 18, 3:30=A0am, MikeA <mjamund...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 17, 1:49=A0am, marckatsam...@gmail.com wrote:
>

> > OK to preface, I just want to state that I have looked at a lot of
> > forums and step-by-step tutorials, but nothing really seems to suit my
> > unique request.
>
> > Because of my ridiculously ordered and controlling nature, I like to
> > keep all my music in volumes (averaging 9-10Gb in size). The volumes
> > contain individual .mp3 files and are all have the same filing system,
> > e.g, 'PowerBook:Mp3's:Volume #:Artist - Song Title.mp3'. I've been
> > doing it like this since circa '98 when I owned a PC and WinAmp was
> > king, way before iTunes existed and offered to organise your music
> > into folders.
>
> > Now I'm up to Vol. 10 and the time has come to move this mass of
> > highly organised files from my PowerBook G4 to an External HD. But my
> > dilemma is I don't know how to transfer the files from one drive to
> > another without iTunes changing my filing structure to suit itself.
>
> > Is there a way to do this without having to rebuild my playlists and
> > library? There has to be other people who like to be in control of
> > their files and/or don't like the way iTunes organises files into
> > Artist/Album folders.
>
> > If anyone has a solution, I'd love to see it.
>
> > Thanks
>
> I'm assuming all the Volumes are in (under) a common folder. I would
> think that moving that top leve folder to the new drive and then using
> a text/XML editor edit the iTunes "preferences" file (I'm experiencing
> a senior moment and the correct name escapes me) to point to the new
> location. You may need to edit the iTune XML library file(s).
>
> I'm no where near my Mac so the details may be incorrect but the above
> is the general idea above is what I used to move my iTunes managed
> music en-mass to an external drive.
>
> Mike

Thanks Mike, I've considered this as an option and I can't see why it
wouldn't work.

I'm just hoping that iTunes has a procedure or even a 3rd party app
that might be able to do it for me and it get it right the first time.
0
Reply marckatsambis 1/17/2008 10:32:22 PM

On Jan 18, 4:11=A0am, b...@mindstorm-inc.com (Burt Johnson) wrote:
> MikeA <mjamund...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm assuming all the Volumes are in (under) a common folder. I would
> > think that moving that top leve folder to the new drive and then using
> > a text/XML editor edit the iTunes "preferences" file (I'm experiencing
> > a senior moment and the correct name escapes me) to point to the new
> > location. You may need to edit the iTune XML library file(s).
>
> > I'm no where near my Mac so the details may be incorrect but the above
> > is the general idea above is what I used to move my iTunes managed
> > music en-mass to an external drive.
>
> That doesn't appear to work. =A0I tried to move my iTunes library from my
> home Mac to my work PC by editing the XML, in order to keep my
> playlists. =A0The music works fine on the work PC, but the playlists are
> all lost.
>
> I would love to find a way to move from one machine to another and keep
> all the existing playlists too.
>
> For keeping the directory structure though, just go to the iTunes prefs
> and under Advanced, turn off the box that says "Keep iTunes music
> organized"
>
> With that off, it will just keep the organization you already have. =A0You=

> can also turn off (in the same panel) "copy the files to iTunes folder"
> and it will just reference the location you already have.
>
> --
> - Burt Johnson
> =A0 MindStorm, Inc.
> =A0http://www.mindstorm-inc.com/software.html

Burt these options are already as you suggested. So what would be my
next step?
0
Reply marckatsambis 1/17/2008 10:34:41 PM

> All the play lists will be lost. I don't know a way around that.

Cheers roj, but that is one of the key factors I'm trying to get
around. :)

0
Reply marckatsambis 1/17/2008 10:37:59 PM

Howard Brazee <howard@brazee.net> wrote:

> When I moved to my Mac, I first started my iTunes, and set it to Keep
> iTunes music organized, and burned a CD.
>
> Then I exited iTunes, and copied my whole iTunes folder and all
> subfolders from my Windows machine to my Mac iTunes folder.
>
> Then I started iTunes, and all of my playlists, play counts, ratings,
> etc. were there.   Some podcasts seemed changed, but nothing else.

hmmm... What I tried was "keep organized" on my Mac (which had been my
state for years).  Copied the entire iTunes folder to a USB drive.

Took that USB drive to work and hooked to a PC.  There I told iTunes to
"keep organized" but changed the target folder to the USB drive.

It sees all the music and plays it fine, but no playlists made the
transition.  I also tried editing the XML to the PC style directory
"E:\...", but that did not help either.

--
- Burt Johnson
  MindStorm, Inc.
  http://www.mindstorm-inc.com/software.html
0
Reply burt 1/18/2008 12:47:23 AM

In article
<2afeff5b-fef9-4f66-8953-b3692b5f601f@h11g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
 marckatsambis@gmail.com wrote:

> Jolly Roger. I can understand how you 'don't get it'. I'm sure the
> idea of renaming every single file a certain way seems laborious to a
> lot of people. However, to me, it is a labour of love. I'm incredibly
> particular about the smallest of details. You should see my work
> space. Everything is perfectly positioned and sits evenly distributed
> at right angles. It's just my nature, and I like things to be just
> so.
>
> Now I've been naming my files this way since '98 and do not intend to
> stop now. So I would really like to find an answer, if there is one,
> to my problem.
>
> I hope you can understand this small obsession of mine and perhaps
> offer me a solution.

Fair enough.  I don't think I can offer anything more than others here
have already offered. I'm afraid you'll hav to try their suggestions and
report back.  Be sure to make a backup first, so you can easily restore
things if it doesnt work out the way you want.

--
Note: Please send all responses to the relevant news group. If you
must contact me through e-mail, let me know when you send email to
this address so that your email doesn't get eaten by my SPAM filter.

JR
0
Reply Jolly 1/18/2008 2:49:17 AM

On Jan 18, 3:30=A0am, MikeA <mjamund...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 17, 1:49=A0am, marckatsam...@gmail.com wrote:
>

> > OK to preface, I just want to state that I have looked at a lot of
> > forums and step-by-step tutorials, but nothing really seems to suit my
> > unique request.
>
> > Because of my ridiculously ordered and controlling nature, I like to
> > keep all my music in volumes (averaging 9-10Gb in size). The volumes
> > contain individual .mp3 files and are all have the same filing system,
> > e.g, 'PowerBook:Mp3's:Volume #:Artist - Song Title.mp3'. I've been
> > doing it like this since circa '98 when I owned a PC and WinAmp was
> > king, way before iTunes existed and offered to organise your music
> > into folders.
>
> > Now I'm up to Vol. 10 and the time has come to move this mass of
> > highly organised files from my PowerBook G4 to an External HD. But my
> > dilemma is I don't know how to transfer the files from one drive to
> > another without iTunes changing my filing structure to suit itself.
>
> > Is there a way to do this without having to rebuild my playlists and
> > library? There has to be other people who like to be in control of
> > their files and/or don't like the way iTunes organises files into
> > Artist/Album folders.
>
> > If anyone has a solution, I'd love to see it.
>
> > Thanks
>
> I'm assuming all the Volumes are in (under) a common folder. I would
> think that moving that top leve folder to the new drive and then using
> a text/XML editor edit the iTunes "preferences" file (I'm experiencing
> a senior moment and the correct name escapes me) to point to the new
> location. You may need to edit the iTune XML library file(s).
>
> I'm no where near my Mac so the details may be incorrect but the above
> is the general idea above is what I used to move my iTunes managed
> music en-mass to an external drive.
>
> Mike

I decided to give Mike's method a go, as it sounded like the most
logical and straight forward, and tada... it worked!

Here is what I did:

1. Back up the Library (File > Export Library..)

2. Copy, not move, music files to the new location.

3. Find out what the new directory path is. To do this, I added a
single track from the new directory into the iTunes Music Library and
then select the song and 'Get Info' (Cmd+I).

4. Once the path is noted/copied, delete the single track from the
library so you have a 'clean slate'

5. Open the Library.xml file in TextEdit, and do a simple 'Find and
Replace' (Cmd+F) and change the old directory path in the 'Find' text
field and add the new directory path into the 'Replace' text field.

6. Save the file.

7. In iTunes, import your Library.xml file (File > Import..) (Cmd+Shift
+O).

8. iTunes will now reimport your library as it was, only now the songs
are being targeted from your new directory. Depending on the size of
your collection, this can take a little while.

9. That's it!!

NB: Playlists copied across perfectly. However, there are some minor
things that did not copy over including, Play Count, Last Played and
Ratings. The artwork seemed to copy across on about 90% of my albums,
I'm not sure why some are now missing. The view also goes back to
default, which meant I had to click on the 'Cover Flow' view icon for
each playlist so that I could see the albums artwork. I also had to
click the 'Track' column for each playlist to sort the album's music
in the correct order.

I hope this helps anyone else who was a little unsure about what to
do.

Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions.

Cheers,
Marc
0
Reply marckatsambis 1/18/2008 8:54:48 AM
comp.sys.mac.apps 20953 articles. 24 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

iTunes music transfer. Only 'slightly' different
OK to preface, I just want to state that I have looked at a lot of forums and step-by-step tutorials, but nothing really seems to suit my unique request. Because of my ridiculously ordered and controlling nature, I like to keep all my music in volumes (averaging 9-10Gb in size). The volumes contain individual .mp3 files and are all have the same filing system, e.g, 'PowerBook:Mp3's:Volume #:Artist - Song Title.mp3'. I've been doing it like this since circa '98 when I owned a PC and WinAmp was king, way before iTunes existed and offered to organise your music into folders. ...

Transfer Music from Ipod to Itunes
Is there a program or two, that allow you to copy music from an Ipod to Itunes library ? In article <p9uml45qcpcbct8gorg5rp9sntqapvd9d7@4ax.com>, HowdyDoody <howdy@doody.com> wrote: > Is there a program or two, that allow you to copy music from an Ipod to > Itunes library ? Look for a program called Senuti. In article <p9uml45qcpcbct8gorg5rp9sntqapvd9d7@4ax.com>, HowdyDoody <howdy@doody.com> wrote: > Is there a program or two, that allow you to copy music from an Ipod to > Itunes library ? Yes. Assuming you're using a Mac, the long-standing fa...

Transfering iTunes music to new Mac
I'm going off to college soon and one of my wealthier relatives is going to give me a new PowerBook as a graduation present. On the Mac I'm using now (last version of the "old" iMacs) I have ripped/acquired/iTMSed quite a library of music. Is there an easy way to transfer the library to the PB? What complicates this is that I have an iPod. Is the iPod (or the iTMS songs) in any "locked" to the iMac? If not. would it simply be an exercise of transfering the iTunes Music folder to the new PB and syncing the iPod to the PB? Thanks a bunch. 2minutehate wrote: ...

Transferring iTunes Music to new Mac
(I originally posted this on the System group--wrong one, I guess) I'm going off to college soon and one of my wealthier relatives is going to give me a new PowerBook as a graduation present. On the Mac I'm using now (last version of the "old" iMacs) I have ripped/acquired/iTMSed quite a library of music. Is there an easy way to transfer the library to the PB? What complicates this is that I have an iPod. Is the iPod (or the iTMS songs) in any "locked" to the iMac? If not. would it simply be an exercise of transfering the iTunes Music folder to the new PB and ...

Transfer Music from iPad to iTunes on PC
I'm totally confused. I purchased some songs on my iPad through iTunes, but when I synced my iPad with my computer, they did not transfer to the library. I want to delete one of the songs and can't see how to do it on the iPad, so I wanted to go into iTunes to do it.....but if the songs didn't sync, I can't. HELP ! What am I missing ???? __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5929 (20110305) __________ The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus. http://www.eset.com Jan Groshan <jangro@pacbel...

Shuffle and iTunes
Hello, All! I use a desktop and notebook, both running Windows XP. I've got iTunes and a shuffle. All of my music is on my desktop right now. I would like to also put it on the laptop. My questions - in doing so, will all of my settings for my music be recognized, e.g. ratings, or do I have to reenter them? For that matter will all of the tracks and titles get recognized? Will the shuffle sync on either system and not get 'confused'? Thanks, Colonel Blip. E-mail: colonelblip.no.spam.please@bigfoot.com ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet ...

Transferring music store/iTunes files from one system to the other.
I've bought/downloaded a number of Apple music store files into iTunes on an iBook. But I'd now like to make my iMac the central repository for song files. What's the recommended way of transferring the files from one system into the other, in order to make it my primary repository for buying and burning? In article <af60080e.0401231409.a3a8940@posting.google.com>, meloan@sbcglobal.net (Meloan) wrote: > I've bought/downloaded a number of Apple music store files into iTunes > on an iBook. But I'd now like to make my iMac the central repository > for song...

access itunes music store without iTunes
I would like to access the itunes service without using itunes software. i would get the top 100 audiobooks list from itunes. In article <0001HW.BCAF3E3900C55F81F03865B0@news-server.tampabay.rr.com>, <webstuff@fluidic.com> wrote: > I would like to access the itunes service without using itunes software. i > would get the top 100 audiobooks list from itunes. iTunes does offer an RSS feed generator that will let you get that in XML format. The feed you want is this one: <http://ax.phobos.apple.com.edgesuite.net/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wpa/MRS S/topsongs/genre=0000010/...

what is the difference between EDMA transfer linking and transfer chaining
I am reading ti's spra636a, and confused about edma transfer linking an transfer chaining, since both are able to trigger a new edma transfer upo the completion of the current edma transfer. Can anyone help me? >I am reading ti's spra636a, and confused about edma transfer linking and >transfer chaining, since both are able to trigger a new edma transfe upon >the completion of the current edma transfer. Can anyone help me? > Hi, As far i understood, i will say to you my point.EDMA chaining refers t invoking of the other EDMA channel once the current channel finishes it tra...

Recovering Deleted Music From The iTunes Music Store
My wife and I were deleting songs from the iTunes music library on her Mac. I had ripped these songs for her from our CD collection, and she didn't want them on her Mac anymore. Unfortunately, we accidently deleted three songs that she had purchased from the iTunes Music Store. We deleted them from the iTunes library, and we deleted the actually files from the Finder. Since she paid for these three songs, is there a way to recover them by downloading them again? Thank you. -- Kurt Todoroff kurt.r.todoroff@comcast.net Markets, not mandates and mob rule. Consent, no...

Moving iTunes music database: the iTunes database file
Hello, iTunes on windows (sorry if I'm making you cringe) seems to keep an iTunes "database file" in the "Documents and Settings" directory. This seems to make it hard to move actual music files/directory at will; I'd like to be able to point iTunes at a new music files area whenever I 1) reload iTunes on a fresh OS install, and/or 2) Move the location of my music files. But with this seprate database-index file thing, it seems to make it difficult. Why did Apple do this? Is it also done in OS X? (I haven't checked it out on my G3 yet). Is there anyting I ...

Performance difference between AHB single transfer and burst transfer
Dear all, I'm looking AHB specification in thesedays. I wonder that multiple "single transfer" and single "burst transfer" have performance gap between them. In AHB, it seems there's no handshaking mechanism after single transfer, that usually causes performance drop in other communication method. (considering protocol specification only, not specific master/ slave implementation) Thanks in advance. Regards, shjin ...

transferring music
I need to transfer about 8G of music from my home PC to my work G5. My only method of transfer is my 2G nano. I've heard you need some sort of download or plug-in to transfer music from one computer to another otherwise iTunes won't let you duplicate libraries. Anyone know where to get this or an easier way? Thanks. In article <1181829043.567886.155100@a26g2000pre.googlegroups.com>, kc <caseyjschultz@gmail.com> wrote: > I need to transfer about 8G of music from my home PC to my work G5. > My only method of transfer is my 2G nano. I've heard you need some &...

transferring itunes
I just got a new G4 Powerook and would like to transfer my ITunes accounts, settings and music from my desktop machine to the new laptop. Is this possible? If so, How? Thankx, Max In article <NMqdneekpoIaOMzVnZ2dnUVZ_hadnZ2d@comcast.com>, "Xylene2301" <someone@whatever.net> wrote: > I just got a new G4 Powerook and would like to transfer my ITunes accounts, > settings and music from my desktop machine to the new laptop. Is this > possible? If so, How? Yes. You can find info on how to do it on http://www.apple.com and if your desk...

Drastic difference in bit rates for the same transfer on different interfaces
Here's the situation: I have some large DVD rips (all legal, they're in-house created for educational usage) stored on a RAID array. The RAID array is available via a smb share from a server with an inside address (behind a 515e). This media share is then mounted on each of one lab's computers at startup, and the "DVDs" play perfectly. The problem is if the same exact method is used on in a lab with outside addresses, playback is very choppy. Using PDM, I monitored packet and bit rates for the inside interface while playback occured from an inside address. The resul...

Universal, World largest music company dumps iTunes. Pull music
Whooops. By Universal content... Looks like a pillar of iTunes content might be on the brink of collapse -- Universal Music, the world's largest music business, has officially opted not to renew its contract with Apple for vending music on the iTunes Music Store. We don't know specifically what caused Universal to turn away -- perhaps it's the weight of the rising anti-DRM movement among consumers, or perhaps it's because of Stevie J.'s brash negotiating tactics, continual refusal to hand over iPod cash, or oceanic persistence in keeping tracks locked in at $0.99...

What is the difference between iTunes 6.0.3.5 and 6.0.4 and other iPod/iTunes questions?
I'm running iTunes & my iPod 60gb on an XP laptop? Can anyone tell me what is the actual difference between iTunes 6.0.3.5 and 6.0.4? Is it worth upgrading. Also, I use YamiPod to get music back off my iPod to the computer. I don't use the library because my laptop is only 60gig and there's not enough room to hold it all. I also have some vacation movies off my still Canon camera and DVD movies converted and dragged straight onto my iPod. I recently ripped an episode of Futurama and dragged it into the library (works fine) then tried to drag it to my iPod (named"Morbo&q...

Can someone please explain why these different algorithms are giving slightly different results for the variance of an image?
Can someone please explain why these different algorithms are giving slightly different results for the variance of an image? % Load images and get basic parameters load('img.mat') nrows=size(img,1); ncols=size(img,2); nzs=size(img,3); h = ones(7); n = sum(h(:)); n1 = n - 1; %Preinitialize conv1=zeros(nrows,ncols,nzs); conv2=zeros(nrows,ncols,nzs); varIm=zeros(nrows,ncols,nzs); En=zeros(nrows,ncols,nzs); Mn=zeros(nrows,ncols,nzs); Vn=zeros(nrows,ncols,nzs); gImgSq=mat2gray(Img.^2); gImg=mat2gray(Img); %Algorithm #1 conv...

iTunes artwork
Some questions - is it ALBUM artwork or can you have different pictures for different songs in the same album? When you add artwork is it best to just add it using the normal itunes way (so it's in the USER\music\iTunes\Album Artwork) or is it best to EMBED the image in the mp3 file (so u give it to a mate they can see the same picture) Thanks Chris Smith In article <24fcc260-2cc9-4366-9580-709214937255@k13g2000hse.googlegroups.com>, childish.chris@googlemail.com wrote: > Some questions > > - is it ALBUM artwork or can you have different pictures for different > ...

iTunes music recommendations
Not sure where to post this. iTMS will give recommendations based on the music in your cart. What would be more useful would be recommendations based on the music in my library; or perhaps, at least, the music I've purchased over time. Other than a good friend who shares my musical tastes (which would be somebody I've never met), is there anybody who provides that kind of service? -- Tad Davis taddavis@ucwphilly.rr.com On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 19:24:09 -0400, Tad Davis wrote (in article <taddavis-704D5E.19240916072005@nycmny-nntp-rdr-03-ge0.rdc-nyc.rr.com>): > Not sure wh...

Archive iTunes music?
Finally getting around to making a backup of my music, and wondering, What is a good way to do it? 1. Backup using iTunes to burn DVDs 2 . Backup manually selecting files and folders to DVDs. Since I have almost 9GB in music I need to divide up my library somehow. I could divide it up by choosing groups from the Genre list (only 25 different Genres in my list) to make playlists to burn to DVD. Is there another way to select songs to backup using iTunes. On the manual side, I could just select folders from my Music folder to fill DVDs. I really don't want to use compresssion SW such ...

iTunes and My Music folder...
Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, but couldn't find a PC-centric iTunes group... I've been trying to get iTunes to recognize that the My Music folder it wants is now on my C drive and no longer in My Documents (which is a network share). This is on a 2K Pro box. I've moved the My Music folder by right-click dragging and selecting Move here. When that didn't work, I edited the registry to change the default location of the My Music folder to the C drive. Changed the iTunes prefs to the new location, threw away the old folder and still no luck. Can anyone tell m...

Transfering iTunes between computers
I know that countless amounts of people have had this problem. I need to know how to sucessfully take them off one machine and on to the other. I have tried to figure iTunes out but it is a "unique" program. HELP! -Calvin calvin.cieslak@gmail.com wrote: > I know that countless amounts of people have had this problem. I need > to know how to sucessfully take them off one machine and on to the > other. I have tried to figure iTunes out but it is a "unique" program. > HELP! Connect the two Macs in FireWire Target Disk Mode. On the target machine create a fo...

sharing iTunes music
Questions at bottom of this post. Situation is this: - Desktop PC running Windows XP Home - iTunes 9.0.0.0.70 running on Desktop PC - music files reside on desktop PC - MacBook Pro running OS X 10.5.8 - iTunes 9.0(70) running on MacBook Pro My goal is to share music from desktop to MacBook Pro. The steps I take are: 1) on desktop in iTunes Advanced / Turn on home sharing 2) on MacBook Pro in iTunes Advanced / Turn on home sharing 3) on MacBook Pro in iTunes, under the Shared area on the left pane, click on name of the library name from the desktop ... receive "loading <librar...

Transfer Itunes Library
I have a large Itunes library on my PC. I will be getting one of the new Imacs when they are shipped in September. How do I transfer my PC Itunes library to my new Imac? I have a small home network, can i transfer the whole Itunes folder to the Imac from my PC? Thanks. Julian Hunt wrote: > I have a large Itunes library on my PC. I will be getting one of the new > Imacs when they are shipped in September. How do I transfer my PC Itunes > library to my new Imac? > > I have a small home network, can i transfer the whole Itunes folder to the > Imac from my PC? > >...