Mac Font Book and Computer Modern Postscript fonts

I have the complete collection of Computer Modern Postscript fonts
obtained from a TeX download and stored as individual font files with
names like CMxxxx in my OS 10.3.9 usr/Library/Fonts folder, and they
work fine with TeXShop.

I can't seem to add them to Font Book, however.  When I try to add them
to the Font column in Font Book using the "+" button, all their names
appear in the Find dialog greyed out (other fonts are active as
expected).

Does Font Book not handle Postscript fonts?  Or is there something
special about these CM fonts that Font Book can't handle?

[And a secondary frustration:  Some time early on in my transfer from OS
9 to OS X, I did something that badly screwed up my Help system -- the
Help files in a few apps work, but for many apps that use the Mac Help
system, clicking the Help button causes the Help window to open, sit
there empty for a few seconds, then just close.  Haven't tried to fix
this because (a) I'm overloaded with other problems, and (b) I keep
thinking I'll move up to 10.4 or higher eventually, and that will fix
it.  So:

*  Might there be an easy way to fix the Help system?

*  And/or, is there a way to (a) identify and find the Help files for an
app (such as Font Book), and read them using some other app?

*  And/or, any way to access and read the Help file for an Mac app on
one of Apple's web sites?

*  And/or, any online documentation for Font Book other than its Help
files?  (Have searched, not found any.)]
0
siegman (1559)

On May 3, 12:59 pm, AES <sieg...@stanford.edu> wrote:
> I have the complete collection of Computer Modern Postscript fonts
> obtained from a TeX download and stored as individual font files with
> names like CMxxxx in my OS 10.3.9 usr/Library/Fonts folder, and they
> work fine with TeXShop.
>
> I can't seem to add them to Font Book, however.  When I try to add them
> to the Font column in Font Book using the "+" button, all their names
> appear in the Find dialog greyed out (other fonts are active as
> expected).
>
> Does Font Book not handle Postscript fonts?  Or is there something
> special about these CM fonts that Font Book can't handle?

Mac OS X understands Mac-style LWFN PostScript outline and Mac screen
bitmap font pairs --- if you're trying to use .pfb files they won't
work. Please note that even if you get a working set of these font the
encoding is idiosyncratic and doesn't work well w/ typical Mac
applications --- far better to \usepackage{lmodern} and install the
Latin Modern fonts instead.

Unfortunately Apple didn't trouble to support NeXT .font bundles so
the spiffy Type 1 CM/AMS packages for NeXTstep won't work in Mac OS X.

> [And a secondary frustration:  Some time early on in my transfer from OS
> 9 to OS X, I did something that badly screwed up my Help system -- the
> Help files in a few apps work, but for many apps that use the Mac Help
> system, clicking the Help button causes the Help window to open, sit
> there empty for a few seconds, then just close.  Haven't tried to fix
> this because (a) I'm overloaded with other problems, and (b) I keep
> thinking I'll move up to 10.4 or higher eventually, and that will fix
> it.  So:
>
> *  Might there be an easy way to fix the Help system?

Do a system restore.

William

0
William