Mac OS X and Windows printers?

After literally decades of hesitation about leaving the Windows world,
I finally took the plunge and bought a MacBook yesterday.  Everything
is great so far, except for one thing:  It appears that I won't be able
to print to a fairly expensive Konica-Minolta 2300 color laser printer
I bought last year.  The printer is currently hanging off a Windows XP
machine, and I'm able to print to it from other Windows machines on the
same network.  The MacBook is even able to "see" the printer's name on
the network.  But looking at the docs for the printer, it claims to be
a strictly Windows printer.

Am I screwed, or is there a way to persuade this combination to work
from within Mac OS X?

0
qzectb (21)

In article <1155218141.094956.252060@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com>,
 qzectb@gmail.com wrote:

> After literally decades of hesitation about leaving the Windows world,
> I finally took the plunge and bought a MacBook yesterday.  Everything
> is great so far, except for one thing:  It appears that I won't be able
> to print to a fairly expensive Konica-Minolta 2300 color laser printer
> I bought last year.  The printer is currently hanging off a Windows XP
> machine, and I'm able to print to it from other Windows machines on the
> same network.  The MacBook is even able to "see" the printer's name on
> the network.  But looking at the docs for the printer, it claims to be
> a strictly Windows printer.

Do you mean the 2300W, described here:
<http://printer.konicaminolta.net/products/color/mc2300W/tech.asp>?

> Am I screwed, or is there a way to persuade this combination to work
> from within Mac OS X?

It doesn't appear to be natively supported, though you might try
hooking it directly up to the Mac just to be sure. If that works, we
can try to figure out why network printing doesn't work. If that still
doesn't work, this might help -->
http://sourceforge.net/projects/m2300w

Worse come to worse, you could always print on your Mac to a PDF
document, then move that over to a Windows machine and print.

 - geoff
0
Geoffrey
8/10/2006 2:05:15 PM
<qzectb@gmail.com> wrote:

> After literally decades of hesitation about leaving the Windows world,
> I finally took the plunge and bought a MacBook yesterday.  Everything
> is great so far, except for one thing:  It appears that I won't be able
> to print to a fairly expensive Konica-Minolta 2300 color laser printer
> I bought last year.  The printer is currently hanging off a Windows XP
> machine, and I'm able to print to it from other Windows machines on the
> same network.  The MacBook is even able to "see" the printer's name on
> the network.  But looking at the docs for the printer, it claims to be
> a strictly Windows printer.
>
> Am I screwed, or is there a way to persuade this combination to work
> from within Mac OS X?

I looked around. It seems that this printer is discontinued. However,
it has an Ethernet (network) connection. So you can plug this printer
into the Ethernet port of your Mac using an Ethernet cable or you can
connect it to an Ethernet hub. Anyway, I came across 2 websites. I hope
this will help you:

http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/

http://www.triking.fsnet.co.uk/Machelp.html
0
Jan
8/10/2006 2:14:22 PM
Geoffrey F. Green wrote:
> In article <1155218141.094956.252060@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com>,
>  qzectb@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > After literally decades of hesitation about leaving the Windows world,
> > I finally took the plunge and bought a MacBook yesterday.  Everything
> > is great so far, except for one thing:  It appears that I won't be able
> > to print to a fairly expensive Konica-Minolta 2300 color laser printer
> > I bought last year.  The printer is currently hanging off a Windows XP
> > machine, and I'm able to print to it from other Windows machines on the
> > same network.  The MacBook is even able to "see" the printer's name on
> > the network.  But looking at the docs for the printer, it claims to be
> > a strictly Windows printer.
>
> Do you mean the 2300W, described here:
> <http://printer.konicaminolta.net/products/color/mc2300W/tech.asp>?

Yes.

> > Am I screwed, or is there a way to persuade this combination to work
> > from within Mac OS X?
>
> It doesn't appear to be natively supported, though you might try

I actually just found an "Answer Base" doc on the Konica Minolta web
site.  They specifically disclaim any support whatsoever for any OS
other than recent Windows.  They claim the printer uses some kind of
GDI-based interface that is unique to Windows.

It sounds like I'm screwed.   I *knew* I should have shelled out extra
for a PostScript printer.

 If that still
> doesn't work, this might help -->
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/m2300w

Actually, that makes it sound like things aren't quite so hopeless
after all! It's not clear to me though whether the driver can be used
for general purpose printing or just with specific applications like
GS.  Does Mac OS X use GS in some general way for printing?

> Worse come to worse, you could always print on your Mac to a PDF
> document, then move that over to a Windows machine and print.

Well, I was always aware of that possibility, but it's an annoying
inconvenience, compared to the alternative of printing transparently.

Thanks...

0
qzectb
8/10/2006 2:23:11 PM
> I looked around. It seems that this printer is discontinued. However,
> it has an Ethernet (network) connection. So you can plug this printer
> into the Ethernet port of your Mac using an Ethernet cable or you can
> connect it to an Ethernet hub. Anyway, I came across 2 websites. I hope
> this will help you:

Unfortunately, I meant the 2300W, not the 2300DL.  The W only has USB
and parallel port.

> http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/
>
> http://www.triking.fsnet.co.uk/Machelp.html

Thanks

0
qzectb
8/10/2006 2:25:05 PM
 qzectb@gmail.com wrote:

> After literally decades of hesitation about leaving the Windows world,
> I finally took the plunge and bought a MacBook yesterday.  Everything
> is great so far, except for one thing:  It appears that I won't be able
> to print to a fairly expensive Konica-Minolta 2300 color laser printer
> I bought last year.  The printer is currently hanging off a Windows XP
> machine, and I'm able to print to it from other Windows machines on the
> same network.  The MacBook is even able to "see" the printer's name on
> the network.  But looking at the docs for the printer, it claims to be
> a strictly Windows printer.
>
> Am I screwed, or is there a way to persuade this combination to work
> from within Mac OS X?

You might have a look at the gimp-print drivers for CUPS
<http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php3>.

--
Tom Stiller

PGP fingerprint =  5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
                   7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
0
Tom
8/10/2006 2:26:53 PM
qzectb@gmail.com wrote:
> After literally decades of hesitation about leaving the Windows world,
> I finally took the plunge and bought a MacBook yesterday.  Everything
> is great so far, except for one thing:  It appears that I won't be able
> to print to a fairly expensive Konica-Minolta 2300 color laser printer
> I bought last year.  The printer is currently hanging off a Windows XP
> machine, and I'm able to print to it from other Windows machines on the
> same network.  The MacBook is even able to "see" the printer's name on
> the network.  But looking at the docs for the printer, it claims to be
> a strictly Windows printer.
>
> Am I screwed, or is there a way to persuade this combination to work
> from within Mac OS X?

I use the software here:

http://www.linuxprinting.org/macosx/hpijs/

to print across my wireless WinXP network to a rather archaic LaserJet.
  That site might have something which will work with your KM printer.

Phil
0
Phil
8/10/2006 2:42:49 PM
qzectb@gmail.com wrote:
> After literally decades of hesitation about leaving the Windows world,
> I finally took the plunge and bought a MacBook yesterday.  Everything
> is great so far, except for one thing:  It appears that I won't be able
> to print to a fairly expensive Konica-Minolta 2300 color laser printer
> I bought last year.  The printer is currently hanging off a Windows XP
> machine, and I'm able to print to it from other Windows machines on the
> same network.  The MacBook is even able to "see" the printer's name on
> the network.  But looking at the docs for the printer, it claims to be
> a strictly Windows printer.
>
> Am I screwed, or is there a way to persuade this combination to work
> from within Mac OS X?

Take a look here:

http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=KonicaMinolta-magicolor_2300_DL

I'm using something similar with this MacBook and a WinXP network to
print to an HP Laserjet.

Phil
0
Phil
8/10/2006 2:46:27 PM
In article <1155219791.177136.65180@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
<qzectb@gmail.com> wrote:

> It sounds like I'm screwed.   I *knew* I should have shelled out extra
> for a PostScript printer.

If you're using a Mac, a Postscript printer is the better option.
However, most laserprinters today no longer use genuine Adobe
Postscript interpreters, but a Postscript clone. This means that clones
are a lot cheaper than genuine Postscript printers. I myself am using a
Brother 5270 B/W printer, which is a Postscript clone but works
perfectly. My parents have a Brother 2700, also a clone, and a perfect
printing machine as well. Both printers are hooked up to G5 Macs.
Another hint: go for a networked printer next time you buy one. No
hassle with USB drivers not functioning properly. Just install a PPD
file and you are ready to print. PPD files are printer specific
description files.
Another advantage of a networked printer: my printer is wirelessly
connected to my network using a Belkin Ethernet bridge. So I can place
my printer anywhere I like, I only have to make sure it is located near
an electrical outlet.
Should my Brother printer die on me one day, I am sure my next printer
will be a Brother because I am very pleased with it.
0
Jan
8/10/2006 2:49:08 PM
qzectb@gmail.com wrote:
> After literally decades of hesitation about leaving the Windows world,
> I finally took the plunge and bought a MacBook yesterday.  Everything
> is great so far, except for one thing:  It appears that I won't be able
> to print to a fairly expensive Konica-Minolta 2300 color laser printer
> I bought last year.  The printer is currently hanging off a Windows XP
> machine, and I'm able to print to it from other Windows machines on the
> same network.  The MacBook is even able to "see" the printer's name on
> the network.  But looking at the docs for the printer, it claims to be
> a strictly Windows printer.
>
> Am I screwed, or is there a way to persuade this combination to work
> from within Mac OS X?

this might be a better place to look:

http://www.linuxprinting.org/macosx/foomatic/#usage

Phil
0
Phil
8/10/2006 3:00:10 PM
On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 15:55:41 +0200, qzectb@gmail.com wrote
(in article <1155218141.094956.252060@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com>):

> After literally decades of hesitation about leaving the Windows world,
> I finally took the plunge and bought a MacBook yesterday.  Everything
> is great so far, except for one thing:  It appears that I won't be able
> to print to a fairly expensive Konica-Minolta 2300 color laser printer
> I bought last year.  The printer is currently hanging off a Windows XP
> machine, and I'm able to print to it from other Windows machines on the
> same network.  The MacBook is even able to "see" the printer's name on
> the network.  But looking at the docs for the printer, it claims to be
> a strictly Windows printer.
>
> Am I screwed, or is there a way to persuade this combination to work
> from within Mac OS X?

If it is stated as "Windows only printer" or "GDI printer" then just forget
it since you will never get it working. These printers  rely fully on the GDI
format in use by Windows for screendrawing.

It does not adhere to any known standard non-windows protocol.

0
Mr
8/10/2006 3:44:59 PM
> If it is stated as "Windows only printer" or "GDI printer" then just forget
> it since you will never get it working. These printers  rely fully on the GDI
> format in use by Windows for screendrawing.

That's the conclusion I've gradually reached as well.  All of the other
helpful tips in this thread seem to be specific to the 2300DL model,
whereas mine is the 2300W (which I should have been clear about from
the outset).  I'm guessing 'W' stands for "Windows".

Thanks anyway for all of the responses.   Among other things, the
comments about the Brother PS clones will help when I look for a new
printer.

0
qzectb
8/10/2006 4:22:21 PM
> Thanks anyway for all of the responses.   Among other things, the
> comments about the Brother PS clones will help when I look for a new
> printer.

Valuable lesson learned. Now you know what NOT to buy, anything with
windows in the title.

Dave

0
gort
8/10/2006 5:41:39 PM
On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 18:22:21 +0200, qzectb@gmail.com wrote
(in article <1155226941.285490.11570@q16g2000cwq.googlegroups.com>):

>> If it is stated as "Windows only printer" or "GDI printer" then just forget
>> it since you will never get it working. These printers  rely fully on the
>> GDI
>> format in use by Windows for screendrawing.
>>

> That's the conclusion I've gradually reached as well.  All of the other
> helpful tips in this thread seem to be specific to the 2300DL model,
> whereas mine is the 2300W (which I should have been clear about from
> the outset).  I'm guessing 'W' stands for "Windows".
>
> Thanks anyway for all of the responses.   Among other things, the
> comments about the Brother PS clones will help when I look for a new
> printer.

If you want a colorlaser that is affordable? Look for the Epson C1100
Aculaser. Works like a gem.

0
Mr
8/10/2006 5:55:50 PM
 qzectb@gmail.com wrote:

> After literally decades of hesitation about leaving the Windows world,
> I finally took the plunge and bought a MacBook yesterday.  Everything
> is great so far, except for one thing:  It appears that I won't be able
> to print to a fairly expensive Konica-Minolta 2300 color laser printer
> I bought last year.  The printer is currently hanging off a Windows XP
> machine, and I'm able to print to it from other Windows machines on the
> same network.  The MacBook is even able to "see" the printer's name on
> the network.  But looking at the docs for the printer, it claims to be
> a strictly Windows printer.
>
> Am I screwed, or is there a way to persuade this combination to work
> from within Mac OS X?

I just happen to have a compiled binary that will support this printer.
Right now it is compiled for PowerPC Macs (not a Universal Binary), but
I have had others tell me that it does work on the Intel based Macs as
well -- albeit a bit more slowly.  You can get the drivers from:
<http://webpages.charter.net/mbroughtn/downloads/Install_m2300w.dmg>

You will also need to install the Foomatic-RIP
<http://www.linuxprinting.org/macosx/downloads/foomatic-rip-3.43.2.15.ppc
..dmg> and ESP Ghostscript
<http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gimp-print/espgs-7.07.1.ppc.dmg?downl
oad>.

If you have any compiling experience, you can compile the drivers
yourself from the source code found at
<http://sourceforge.net/projects/m2300w>.  If you go this route and are
successful in getting an Intel native driver installation, please
contact me.  I would be interested in combining the Intel drivers into a
Universal Binary for this printer.

Matt

--
Matt Broughton
Only relatives are absolute.
Matt Broughton wrote:
> In article <1155218141.094956.252060@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com>,
>  qzectb@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > After literally decades of hesitation about leaving the Windows world,
> > I finally took the plunge and bought a MacBook yesterday.  Everything
> > is great so far, except for one thing:  It appears that I won't be able
> > to print to a fairly expensive Konica-Minolta 2300 color laser printer
> > I bought last year.  The printer is currently hanging off a Windows XP
> > machine, and I'm able to print to it from other Windows machines on the
> > same network.  The MacBook is even able to "see" the printer's name on
> > the network.  But looking at the docs for the printer, it claims to be
> > a strictly Windows printer.
> >
> > Am I screwed, or is there a way to persuade this combination to work
> > from within Mac OS X?
>
> I just happen to have a compiled binary that will support this printer.
> Right now it is compiled for PowerPC Macs (not a Universal Binary), but
> I have had others tell me that it does work on the Intel based Macs as
> well -- albeit a bit more slowly.  You can get the drivers from:
> <http://webpages.charter.net/mbroughtn/downloads/Install_m2300w.dmg>

> You will also need to install the Foomatic-RIP
> <http://www.linuxprinting.org/macosx/downloads/foomatic-rip-3.43.2.15.ppc
> .dmg>

Done...

 and ESP Ghostscript
> <http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gimp-print/espgs-7.07.1.ppc.dmg?downl
> oad>.

Done...

> If you have any compiling experience, you can compile the drivers
> yourself from the source code found at
> <http://sourceforge.net/projects/m2300w>.  If you go this route and are
> successful in getting an Intel native driver installation, please
> contact me.  I would be interested in combining the Intel drivers into a
> Universal Binary for this printer.

After modifying the path inside ./configure so that it would find the
footmatic-rip executable (after installation, it's in
/usr/libexec/cups/filter on my machine), make ran fine and seemed to
generate executables for the 2300W and 2400W drivers.  But that's now
where I'm stuck, as I have no idea how to get CUPS running properly on
my machine.  I tried blindly executing /usr/sbin/cupsd, but it exited
with exit code 13, which means nothing to me.

I may be over my head on this, since I know nothing about CUPS.

0
qzectb
8/10/2006 7:40:37 PM
In article <1155238837.892566.138920@m79g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>,
<qzectb@gmail.com> wrote:

> After modifying the path inside ./configure so that it would find the
> footmatic-rip executable (after installation, it's in
> /usr/libexec/cups/filter on my machine), make ran fine and seemed to
> generate executables for the 2300W and 2400W drivers.  But that's now
> where I'm stuck, as I have no idea how to get CUPS running properly on
> my machine.  I tried blindly executing /usr/sbin/cupsd, but it exited
> with exit code 13, which means nothing to me.
>
> I may be over my head on this, since I know nothing about CUPS.

CUPS is probably already running. Enter <http://127.0.0.1:631/> into
your web bowser. It should take you to the control panel.
0
Dave
8/10/2006 8:01:20 PM
 qzectb@gmail.com wrote:

> Matt Broughton wrote:

> > If you have any compiling experience, you can compile the drivers
> > yourself from the source code found at
> > <http://sourceforge.net/projects/m2300w>.  If you go this route and are
> > successful in getting an Intel native driver installation, please
> > contact me.  I would be interested in combining the Intel drivers into a
> > Universal Binary for this printer.
>
> After modifying the path inside ./configure so that it would find the
> footmatic-rip executable (after installation, it's in
> /usr/libexec/cups/filter on my machine), make ran fine and seemed to
> generate executables for the 2300W and 2400W drivers.  But that's now
> where I'm stuck, as I have no idea how to get CUPS running properly on
> my machine.  I tried blindly executing /usr/sbin/cupsd, but it exited
> with exit code 13, which means nothing to me.

What you have so far is a good start.  You now need to run the install
script which is not very intuitive for this package.

Before I get to that, could I make a suggestion.  What you have will
install the drivers into the /usr/bin location.  Many, if not most,
users would rather use the /usr/local/bin location.  The "local"
designation is used to help keep what came with the system from what the
user installed.  To make this change, you need to take a step back.
Either run a "make clean" or trash what you have and unpack the source
code again.  Either way, you will then want to configure by using

../configure --prefix=/usr/local

and then do a "make".

Now for the unintuitive part.  You need to edit the Makefile.  You will
see the line (line 22) --
INSTALL     = /usr/bin/install -c

You need to add a line before that line.  The line before this should
read --
..PHONY:  install

Save the changes to the Makefile.

You are now ready to install the drivers.  You can do this by issuing
the command --
sudo make install

Enter your password at the prompt.

Make sure your printer is attached to the computer and turned on.  That
should be enough to get CUPS running.  You should then be able to add
your printer through the Printer Setup Utility.  If you don't find the
driver listed in Printer Setup Utility, you can use the web interface
for CUPS at <http://127.0.0.1:631/admin>.  The reason Printer Setup
Utility may not work is that the model and/or model name in the PPD may
not exactly match how the printer is identifying itself to Mac OS X.  I
did have to make some changes to the PPDs that came with the source
code.  It's a small matter and won't effect the functioning of the
drivers,  just in what you have to do to set up the printer.

The reference that I used can be found in the archives of the m2300w
mailing list at
<http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=7215660&forum_id=
42005>

Matt

--
Matt Broughton
Only relatives are absolute.
0
Matt
8/11/2006 12:47:59 AM
Great support from the people who participate in this community.  I was
given an HPLaserJet 1000 (3 month old at the time) when a friend
switched to Macs.  I was XP only at the time.  Now I have the driver
that was created by someone for CUPS printing.  I have the HPLaserJet
1000 connected to my XP and both my G4 (sawtooth) tower and my iBook
are printing to this printer.

I kept searching on VersionTracker.  I found the driver that works
there.  With USB connectivity it is bad business for the major printer
companies to make a printer that only works with ONE OS.  More and more
homes now have multiple computers and not all are Mac only or XP only.

[steps down from soap box] So hang in there. There is hope.
TK

qzectb@gmail.com wrote:
[snip]
> Am I screwed, or is there a way to persuade this combination to work
> from within Mac OS X?

0
TKnTexas
8/11/2006 3:18:29 AM
In article <1155266309.867626.187330@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
TKnTexas <tkntexas55@aol.com> wrote:

> I kept searching on VersionTracker.  I found the driver that works
> there.  With USB connectivity it is bad business for the major printer
> companies to make a printer that only works with ONE OS.  More and more
> homes now have multiple computers and not all are Mac only or XP only.

Yet another reason not to buy HP products.
0
Randall
8/11/2006 12:16:32 PM
Randall Ainsworth wrote:
> In article <1155266309.867626.187330@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> TKnTexas <tkntexas55@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> I kept searching on VersionTracker.  I found the driver that works
>> there.  With USB connectivity it is bad business for the major printer
>> companies to make a printer that only works with ONE OS.  More and more
>> homes now have multiple computers and not all are Mac only or XP only.
>
> Yet another reason not to buy HP products.

I'd say, rather, mainstream.  Epson appears to have equally good Mac
support .. including universal binary drivers available for download for
most printers.

I have a personal preference for Epson color inks.  But my workhorse
printer is an old HP laser.

Phil
0
Phil
8/11/2006 1:29:30 PM
Phil Wheeler wrote:
> Randall Ainsworth wrote:
>> In article <1155266309.867626.187330@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
>> TKnTexas <tkntexas55@aol.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I kept searching on VersionTracker.  I found the driver that works
>>> there.  With USB connectivity it is bad business for the major printer
>>> companies to make a printer that only works with ONE OS.  More and more
>>> homes now have multiple computers and not all are Mac only or XP only.
>>
>> Yet another reason not to buy HP products.
>

> I'd say, rather, mainstream.  Epson appears to have equally good Mac
> support .. including universal binary drivers available for download for
> most printers.
>
> I have a personal preference for Epson color inks.  But my workhorse
> printer is an old HP laser.
>
> Phil

I have used HP printers back to the original DeskJets in 1989 and they
have always worked fine for me on both my Apple II and now my Macs.  I
have an HP Officejet-all-in-one, which when hooked up to my iBook and
iMac worked right out of the box.  When I did have a minor problem with
a driver update I got from their web site, I contacted the support
number and it was on a Saturday, reached a support person who was in
their Mac Support unit and in a few seconds had me up and running.   HP
has always worked well with Apple's, there main offices were at one time
right across from Apple and people who have worked for Apple and HP have
gone back and forth to both companies.  I have also used Epson's with
little problems.

--
The only good spammer is a dead one!!  Have you hunted one down today?
(c) 2006 I Kill Spammers, inc, A Rot in Hell. Co.
> If you want a colorlaser that is affordable? Look for the Epson C1100
> Aculaser. Works like a gem.
Mr Mac, is it good enough to satisfy someone used to the output of
Roland and Heidelberg printers? IOW, good enough to use in a commercial
environment? Because if it is it's certainly VERY affordable. Most of
the commercial printers in New Zealand seem to be using Xerox machines
costing at least NZ$18,000. On pricespy I found this Epson for a mere
NZ$712.

0
Laraine
8/11/2006 6:24:50 PM
Matt Broughton wrote:

> > > If you have any compiling experience, you can compile the drivers
> > > yourself from the source code found at
> > > <http://sourceforge.net/projects/m2300w>.  If you go this route and are
> > > successful in getting an Intel native driver installation, please
> > > contact me.  I would be interested in combining the Intel drivers into a
> > > Universal Binary for this printer.

To my surprise and delight, I am now successfully printing to my
Konica-Minolta 2300W (physically connected to a Windows XP machine)
from my MacBook, using a native-compiled version of your driver.  Your
instructions gave me everything I needed to muddle through the process.
  Please let me know what I can send you from the Intel build.

> Make sure your printer is attached to the computer and turned on.  That
> should be enough to get CUPS running.  You should then be able to add
> your printer through the Printer Setup Utility.

This worked, even though the printer is physically connected to a
remote machine.

 > The reference that I used can be found in the archives of the m2300w

> mailing list at
> <http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=7215660&forum_id=
> 42005>

There were some important pieces of information in the above thread ..
especially concerning what it meant to delete the printer queues that
had been created and then manually reinstall them.

Thanks again!

   - Grant

0
qzectb
8/13/2006 3:24:35 AM
qzectb@gmail.com wrote:

> To my surprise and delight, I am now successfully printing to my
> Konica-Minolta 2300W (physically connected to a Windows XP machine)
> from my MacBook, using a native-compiled version of your driver.  Your
> instructions gave me everything I needed to muddle through the process.
>   Please let me know what I can send you from the Intel build.

Great news!

I'm interested in how you did it.  I'm using hpijs and Ghostscript ..
but compiled for ppc.  Results a bit erratic with my MacBook.  I suspect
recompiling for intel would fix it .. but I really don't know how.

Phil
0
Phil
8/13/2006 4:58:05 AM
In article <1155439475.764907.5980@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
 qzectb@gmail.com wrote:

> To my surprise and delight, I am now successfully printing to my
> Konica-Minolta 2300W (physically connected to a Windows XP machine)
> from my MacBook, using a native-compiled version of your driver.  Your
> instructions gave me everything I needed to muddle through the process.
>   Please let me know what I can send you from the Intel build.

I can't take any credit for authoring the driver.  The copyright belongs
to Leif Birkenfeld and Thomas Rohringer according to the source code.
The driver is issued under the GPL license.  The homepage for this is
project is <http://sourceforge.net/projects/m2300w/>.

The best way to get me what I need is to zip  (right-click or
control-click on the folder and choose create archive) or otherwise
compress (Stuffit, gzip, tar.gz whatever) the m2300w-0.51 folder that
contains the source code and send that to me at walterwego@macosx.com .

The installer only copies the needed files from this folder, it does not
move the files.  By sending me the complete folder, I can get the
binaries that I need and take a look at the Makefile, etc.

Matt

Copy of this message is also being e-mailed to Grant.

--
Matt Broughton
Only relatives are absolute.
0
Matt
8/13/2006 6:27:05 PM
In article <xjyDg.340$YC3.188@tornado.socal.rr.com>,
 Phil Wheeler <wt6uh-ng7@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm interested in how you did it.  I'm using hpijs and Ghostscript ..
> but compiled for ppc.  Results a bit erratic with my MacBook.  I suspect
> recompiling for intel would fix it .. but I really don't know how.

Each package is different.  In the case of the hpijs package, there are
extra dependencies that you would have to install prior to building the
package.  There may be other obstacles to overcome.  Ghostscript, I
believe, is a bit trickier than hpijs.  From what I have read, only a
small number of devices will be built into Ghostscript by default.  You
would have to find out how to include at least the devices that you
need.  This may prove to be quite an obstacle in itself.

All that being said, I am not aware of any particular problems with
either of these packages running under Rosetta.  Could you be a bit more
specific with what types of problems you are experiencing?  What
printer(s) are causing problems?  Are only certain applications causing
problems when printing?

If you are having problems with specific applications, I have heard that
forcing that application to run under Rosetta might solve the printing
problem.

Matt

--
Matt Broughton
Only relatives are absolute.
0
Matt
8/14/2006 1:26:00 AM
Matt Broughton wrote:
> In article <xjyDg.340$YC3.188@tornado.socal.rr.com>,
>  Phil Wheeler <wt6uh-ng7@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm interested in how you did it.  I'm using hpijs and Ghostscript ..
>> but compiled for ppc.  Results a bit erratic with my MacBook.  I suspect
>> recompiling for intel would fix it .. but I really don't know how.
>>
> Each package is different.  In the case of the hpijs package, there are
> extra dependencies that you would have to install prior to building the
> package.  There may be other obstacles to overcome.  Ghostscript, I
> believe, is a bit trickier than hpijs.  From what I have read, only a
> small number of devices will be built into Ghostscript by default.  You
> would have to find out how to include at least the devices that you
> need.  This may prove to be quite an obstacle in itself.
>
> All that being said, I am not aware of any particular problems with
> either of these packages running under Rosetta.  Could you be a bit more
> specific with what types of problems you are experiencing?  What
> printer(s) are causing problems?  Are only certain applications causing
> problems when printing?

In fact, my primary (only?) offender is Adobe Acrobat Reader, which
often will print only the first page of a document.  I didn't notice
this behavior with my iBook G4 with Tiger, but now do with the MacBook.

Today I found some messages in a forum suggesting that this not uncommon
with this program .. and may have nothing to do with my printer drivers
or the network.

At this point, I will keep things as they are and print with Preview for
pdf files; it seems to always work.  I do have xCode installed, but it's
been long since I dealt with using such a development system.

Phil
0
Phil
8/14/2006 2:49:04 AM
In article <AwRDg.1010$YC3.715@tornado.socal.rr.com>,
 Phil Wheeler <wt6uh-ng7@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Matt Broughton wrote:
>Are only certain applications causing
> > problems when printing?
> >

> In fact, my primary (only?) offender is Adobe Acrobat Reader, which
> often will print only the first page of a document.  I didn't notice
> this behavior with my iBook G4 with Tiger, but now do with the MacBook.
>
> Today I found some messages in a forum suggesting that this not uncommon
> with this program .. and may have nothing to do with my printer drivers
> or the network.

Yes, there is a problem with Acrobat Reader only printing one page of a
multi-page document.  I have it too on my PPC Macs.  It seems to me to
be somewhat dependent on the file.  Some work fine, others don't.

This is certainly not a problem with Ghostscript and hpijs being PPC
binaries.

Matt

--
Matt Broughton
Only relatives are absolute.
0
Matt
8/14/2006 3:23:22 PM
Matt Broughton wrote:
> In article <AwRDg.1010$YC3.715@tornado.socal.rr.com>,
>  Phil Wheeler <wt6uh-ng7@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Matt Broughton wrote:
>> Are only certain applications causing
>>> problems when printing?
>>>
>> In fact, my primary (only?) offender is Adobe Acrobat Reader, which
>> often will print only the first page of a document.  I didn't notice
>> this behavior with my iBook G4 with Tiger, but now do with the MacBook.
>>
>> Today I found some messages in a forum suggesting that this not uncommon
>> with this program .. and may have nothing to do with my printer drivers
>> or the network.
>>
> Yes, there is a problem with Acrobat Reader only printing one page of a
> multi-page document.  I have it too on my PPC Macs.  It seems to me to
> be somewhat dependent on the file.  Some work fine, others don't.
>
> This is certainly not a problem with Ghostscript and hpijs being PPC
> binaries.

Thanks, Matt.  Yes, I'm coming to that conclusion. I may have just not
noticed it with the iBook.

Phil
0
Phil
8/14/2006 3:55:28 PM
Mr Mac <camrm@egnaro.ln> wrote:

> > Thanks anyway for all of the responses.   Among other things, the
> > comments about the Brother PS clones will help when I look for a new
> > printer.
> >

> If you want a colorlaser that is affordable? Look for the Epson C1100
> Aculaser. Works like a gem.

Agree! -love mine, great little printer! (oops, I mean BIG printer :-)

RL
0
rlaughton
8/14/2006 9:16:41 PM
TKnTexas <tkntexas55@aol.com> wrote:

> Great support from the people who participate in this community.  I was
> given an HPLaserJet 1000 (3 month old at the time) when a friend
> switched to Macs.  I was XP only at the time.  Now I have the driver
> that was created by someone for CUPS printing.  I have the HPLaserJet
> 1000 connected to my XP and both my G4 (sawtooth) tower and my iBook
> are printing to this printer.
>
> I kept searching on VersionTracker.  I found the driver that works
> there.  With USB connectivity it is bad business for the major printer
> companies to make a printer that only works with ONE OS.  More and more
> homes now have multiple computers and not all are Mac only or XP only.
>

> [steps down from soap box] So hang in there. There is hope.
> TK
>

> qzectb@gmail.com wrote:
> [snip]
> > Am I screwed, or is there a way to persuade this combination to work
> > from within Mac OS X?

Why is that so important with a MacBook? Install Boot Camp and your copy
of XP and you're in business.  Or Parallels, if you really need to print
from "within" Mac OS X...

RL
0
rlaughton
8/14/2006 9:16:41 PM
Ray Laughton wrote:
> TKnTexas <tkntexas55@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> Great support from the people who participate in this community.  I was
>> given an HPLaserJet 1000 (3 month old at the time) when a friend
>> switched to Macs.  I was XP only at the time.  Now I have the driver
>> that was created by someone for CUPS printing.  I have the HPLaserJet
>> 1000 connected to my XP and both my G4 (sawtooth) tower and my iBook
>> are printing to this printer.
>>
>> I kept searching on VersionTracker.  I found the driver that works
>> there.  With USB connectivity it is bad business for the major printer
>> companies to make a printer that only works with ONE OS.  More and more
>> homes now have multiple computers and not all are Mac only or XP only.
>>

>> [steps down from soap box] So hang in there. There is hope.
>> TK
>>

>> qzectb@gmail.com wrote:
>> [snip]
>>> Am I screwed, or is there a way to persuade this combination to work
>>> from within Mac OS X?
>
> Why is that so important with a MacBook? Install Boot Camp and your copy
> of XP and you're in business.  Or Parallels, if you really need to print
> from "within" Mac OS X...

PMFJI .. but, given the price of full versions of WinXp ($200 for home,
$300 for Pro), a new printer would be a better choice.

In any case, printing from OS X apps from a MacBook seems essential.

While I have WinXP installed on this MacBook, I would have never done it
just for printer support.

Phil
0
Phil
8/14/2006 9:43:13 PM
Phil Wheeler <wt6uh-ng7@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Ray Laughton wrote:
> > TKnTexas <tkntexas55@aol.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Great support from the people who participate in this community.  I was
> >> given an HPLaserJet 1000 (3 month old at the time) when a friend
> >> switched to Macs.  I was XP only at the time.  Now I have the driver
> >> that was created by someone for CUPS printing.  I have the HPLaserJet
> >> 1000 connected to my XP and both my G4 (sawtooth) tower and my iBook
> >> are printing to this printer.
> >>
> >> I kept searching on VersionTracker.  I found the driver that works
> >> there.  With USB connectivity it is bad business for the major printer
> >> companies to make a printer that only works with ONE OS.  More and more
> >> homes now have multiple computers and not all are Mac only or XP only.
> >>

> >> [steps down from soap box] So hang in there. There is hope.
> >> TK
> >>

> >> qzectb@gmail.com wrote:
> >> [snip]
> >
> > Why is that so important with a MacBook? Install Boot Camp and your copy
> > of XP and you're in business.  Or Parallels, if you really need to print
> > from "within" Mac OS X...
> >

> PMFJI .. but, given the price of full versions of WinXp ($200 for home,
> $300 for Pro), a new printer would be a better choice.
He specifically mentions having Windows XP already so the cost would
have been zero and the effort likewise..

> In any case, printing from OS X apps from a MacBook seems essential.
>
> While I have WinXP installed on this MacBook, I would have never done it
> just for printer support.
Its useful for all kinds of hardware support.

ray
0
rlaughton
8/15/2006 12:54:11 AM
I know that you already have your printer working but for others that
may have unsupported printers, I would imagine that one could automate
the print to PDF method discussed earlier in the thread.  I would
envision something like printing to a PDF file and always placing it in
a particular folder on your Mac and then using automator to copy it to a
shared windows folder or maybe save a step and save the PDF to windows
share directly.  After that, I think there is a way to automate the
printing of any file that shows up in a given windows folder.  I don't
have any particulars on that so I leave that to whomever has the need.
Also, I think that one can drag and drop a file onto a Windows printer
and it will print so there may be a way of leveraging that sort of thing
to automatically print.

qzectb@gmail.com wrote:

>>If it is stated as "Windows only printer" or "GDI printer" then just forget
>>it since you will never get it working. These printers  rely fully on the GDI
>>format in use by Windows for screendrawing.
>>

>That's the conclusion I've gradually reached as well.  All of the other
>helpful tips in this thread seem to be specific to the 2300DL model,
>whereas mine is the 2300W (which I should have been clear about from
>the outset).  I'm guessing 'W' stands for "Windows".
>
>Thanks anyway for all of the responses.   Among other things, the
>comments about the Brother PS clones will help when I look for a new
>printer.

0
John
8/17/2006 4:30:39 PM
In article <ec25jg$e9d$1@news04.infoave.net>,
 John Bisel <johnboyn185@netscape.net> wrote:

> I know that you already have your printer working but for others that
> may have unsupported printers, I would imagine that one could automate
> the print to PDF method discussed earlier in the thread.  I would
> envision something like printing to a PDF file and always placing it in
> a particular folder on your Mac and then using automator to copy it to a
> shared windows folder or maybe save a step and save the PDF to windows
> share directly.  After that, I think there is a way to automate the
> printing of any file that shows up in a given windows folder.  I don't
> have any particulars on that so I leave that to whomever has the need.
> Also, I think that one can drag and drop a file onto a Windows printer
> and it will print so there may be a way of leveraging that sort of thing
> to automatically print.

There is an alternative where there are no Mac drivers for a printer.
You can print from a Mac to a redirected printer on Windows.  See the
following article for a description of how to do it.
<http://iharder.sourceforge.net/macosx/winmacprinter/>

The short version is that you use a phony PostScript printer on each
end.  The Windows phony PostScript printer is then redirected to the
printer that doesn't have any Mac drivers.

Matt

--
Matt Broughton
Only relatives are absolute.
0
Matt
8/18/2006 2:53:54 PM
Matt Broughton wrote:
> In article <ec25jg$e9d$1@news04.infoave.net>, John Bisel
> <johnboyn185@netscape.net> wrote:
>
>> I know that you already have your printer working but for
>> others that may have unsupported printers, I would imagine
>> that one could automate the print to PDF method discussed
>> earlier in the thread.  I would envision something like
>> printing to a PDF file and always placing it in a particular
>> folder on your Mac and then using automator to copy it to a
>> shared windows folder or maybe save a step and save the PDF
>> to windows share directly.  After that, I think there is a
>> way to automate the printing of any file that shows up in a
>> given windows folder.  I don't have any particulars on that
>> so I leave that to whomever has the need. Also, I think that
>> one can drag and drop a file onto a Windows printer and it
>> will print so there may be a way of leveraging that sort of
>> thing to automatically print.
>>
> There is an alternative where there are no Mac drivers for a
> printer. You can print from a Mac to a redirected printer on
> Windows.  See the following article for a description of how to
> do it. <http://iharder.sourceforge.net/macosx/winmacprinter/>
>
> The short version is that you use a phony PostScript printer on
> each end.  The Windows phony PostScript printer is then
> redirected to the printer that doesn't have any Mac drivers.

Plus I've had good luck with the OS X drivers at this site:

http://www.linuxprinting.org/macosx/

Specifically I am using hpijs to print to my HP Laserjet 6P on my
WinXP network from my two OS X laptops

Phil
0
Phil
8/18/2006 4:24:25 PM
On 2006-08-10 17:25:05 +0300, qzectb@gmail.com said:

>> I looked around. It seems that this printer is discontinued. However,
>> it has an Ethernet (network) connection. So you can plug this printer
>> into the Ethernet port of your Mac using an Ethernet cable or you can
>> connect it to an Ethernet hub. Anyway, I came across 2 websites. I hope
>> this will help you:
>
> Unfortunately, I meant the 2300W, not the 2300DL.  The W only has USB
> and parallel port.
>
>> http://foo2zjs.rkkda.com/
>>
>> http://www.triking.fsnet.co.uk/Machelp.html
>
> Thanks

This looks rather interesting to me:
http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=KonicaMinolta-magicolor_2300W

So

there is some driver versioned "0.51" and it sort of works. Don't let
Linux fool you, it is the famous "Gimp print" (gutenprint) subsystem
which also works on OS X.

Lets say, what about putting some waste papers (previously printed) and
install / experiment Gutenprint, read documents of it very throughly?

Here is where you should be with that printer on OS X
http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php3

I own a colour Epson 1100 colour (Euro model,not US) laser and they
call my printer "heavy paper weight" BTW :) As there is no possibility
for them to code anything for it.

Ilgaz

0
ISO
8/21/2006 11:54:00 AM
On 2006-08-10 17:42:49 +0300, Phil Wheeler <wt6uh-ng7@yahoo.com> said:

> I use the software here:
>
> http://www.linuxprinting.org/macosx/hpijs/
>
> to print across my wireless WinXP network to a rather archaic LaserJet.
>   That site might have something which will work with your KM printer.
>
> Phil

You are lucky with "archaic" laser, those were made in days nobody
could dare to ship a laser without some sort of standard language
installed (PCL, PS etc).

So, it must have PCL support so you can use it forever without any 30MB
driver monster offloading everything to OS it runs on. Of course you
can buy Postscript support for these new lasers but they are really
expensive modules and you must also upgrade your printers memory which
is also expensive.

Well watching a colour laser having dual RISC processors doing nothing
is another issue of course :)

Ilgaz

0
ISO
8/21/2006 11:57:52 AM
On 2006-08-10 19:22:21 +0300, qzectb@gmail.com said:

>> If it is stated as "Windows only printer" or "GDI printer" then just forget
>> it since you will never get it working. These printers  rely fully on the GDI
>> format in use by Windows for screendrawing.
>>

> That's the conclusion I've gradually reached as well.  All of the other
> helpful tips in this thread seem to be specific to the 2300DL model,
> whereas mine is the 2300W (which I should have been clear about from
> the outset).  I'm guessing 'W' stands for "Windows".
>
> Thanks anyway for all of the responses.   Among other things, the
> comments about the Brother PS clones will help when I look for a new
> printer.

Here is a mad idea as it is a laser printer which should not be thrown
out. Of course see my other message a linux user suggests it actually
WORKS with Gimp.

Buy a second hand PC which can run windows (not a gaming one!) with
lots of RAM, use it as a printing server. Or lets say if you buy a
phone and figure its firmware can only be updated via serial port, you
can use it on such thing too.

You can also install folding@home if its idleness bugs you.

Ilgaz

0
ISO
8/21/2006 12:01:05 PM
Ilgaz �cal wrote:
> On 2006-08-10 17:42:49 +0300, Phil Wheeler <wt6uh-ng7@yahoo.com> said:
>

>> I use the software here:
>>
>> http://www.linuxprinting.org/macosx/hpijs/
>>
>> to print across my wireless WinXP network to a rather archaic
>> LaserJet.   That site might have something which will work with your
>> KM printer.
>>
>> Phil
>
> You are lucky with "archaic" laser, those were made in days nobody could
> dare to ship a laser without some sort of standard language installed
> (PCL, PS etc).
>
> So, it must have PCL support

It does and it works very well.  Took me about a
week to dope it out 15 months ago, but it's worked
fine since.

Phil
0
Phil
8/21/2006 1:16:53 PM
On 2006-08-15 00:16:41 +0300, rlaughton@invalid.com (Ray Laughton) said:

> Mr Mac <camrm@egnaro.ln> wrote:
>
>>> Thanks anyway for all of the responses.   Among other things, the
>>> comments about the Brother PS clones will help when I look for a new
>>> printer.
>>>

>> If you want a colorlaser that is affordable? Look for the Epson C1100
>> Aculaser. Works like a gem.
>
> Agree! -love mine, great little printer! (oops, I mean BIG printer :-)
>
> RL

It is affordable and I have it, excellent performance and amazingly
cost effective. Just... Please opt-in for 64 mb RAM while buying it.

Its amazing (since it is TRUE) DPI shows itself only with 64MB of RAM
at least with "fine" selection for colour documents,photos.

I did something really stupid and misunderstood how to install toners
spilling near whole black toner to floor. :) With that toner, it
printed 1200 pages which made me shocked.

I feel like robbed by Inkjets until that date.

Ilgaz

0
ISO
8/21/2006 1:44:06 PM
On 2006-08-17 19:30:39 +0300, John Bisel <johnboyn185@netscape.net> said:

> I know that you already have your printer working but for others that
> may have unsupported printers, I would imagine that one could automate
> the print to PDF method discussed earlier in the thread.  I would
> envision something like printing to a PDF file and always placing it in
> a particular folder on your Mac and then using automator to copy it to
> a shared windows folder or maybe save a step and save the PDF to
> windows share directly.  After that, I think there is a way to automate
> the printing of any file that shows up in a given windows folder.  I
> don't have any particulars on that so I leave that to whomever has the
> need.  Also, I think that one can drag and drop a file onto a Windows
> printer and it will print so there may be a way of leveraging that sort
> of thing to automatically print.

Hi,

Some very very interesting thing coming (in fact in pro use right now)
soon and hope they will be clever to make it affordable. Soon we may
not need those 30mb drivers or weird things. It is not just for Lasers,
Inkjets too..

http://www.adobe.com/products/pdfprintengine/

Just one thing. Adobe is a very stupid company sometimes, see what
happens to an amazing technology like SVG (and tinySVG) with them. I
know SVG is a open technology but they were the ones cleverly supported
that technology from start and gave up very weirdly even purchasing
Macromedia for amazing price. All we have is a "Adobe Flash" breaking
compatability every new release.

If that thing was built into home printers and semi-pro ones, there
would be NO driver issue at all. Perhaps printer industry will wake up
and see how stupid thing they have to do right now.

Just imagine attaching a printer and just sending the PDF file to it.
No need for 2 GB printers folder seperately supporting every weird
method.

Printer will just need memory, sort of industrial CPU (e.g. ppc 603e)
which are both cheap to have such capability.

There is always "postscript" option but it is a _really_ expensive
solution only fit to corparate environments and DTP pros.

Ilgaz

0
ISO