MAC SE Floppy Drive 1.4 meg Floppy Drive (old)

I acquired a MAC SE with a 1.4 meg floppy drive.  Previously I only
had a Plus with an 800K floppy drive.  When I tried to format one of
my old disks, it still only had 800K.  Did the 1.4 meg floppy drives
use special disks?  Or am I doing something wrong?

Thank you,

Bill
0
wbagot1

Bill Bagot <wbagot1@san.rr.com> wrote:

> I acquired a MAC SE with a 1.4 meg floppy drive.  Previously I only
> had a Plus with an 800K floppy drive.  When I tried to format one of
> my old disks, it still only had 800K.  Did the 1.4 meg floppy drives
> use special disks?  Or am I doing something wrong?

Yes & Yes.

--
schram@webenet.net is a heavily-filtered SpamTrap. Email replies may not
get through. Use cschram instead. <http://www.webenet.net/~schram/>
"Bill Bagot" <wbagot1@san.rr.com> wrote in message
> I acquired a MAC SE with a 1.4 meg floppy drive.  Previously I only
> had a Plus with an 800K floppy drive.  When I tried to format one of
> my old disks, it still only had 800K.  Did the 1.4 meg floppy drives
> use special disks?  Or am I doing something wrong?

Yes - if your disk has only a single hole at the top, then it's a
double-sided disk (800k on the Mac). If it has two holes at the top, it's a
high-density disk (1.4M).

The fact you mentioned that you used an old disc, where you previously had
an 800k-only Plus, suggests to me you're still using a disck with a single
hole.

Cheers,
Ian

0
Ian
10/10/2003 7:55:19 AM
"Ian McCall" <ian@eruvia.org> writes:

> Yes - if your disk has only a single hole at the top, then it's a
> double-sided disk (800k on the Mac). If it has two holes at the top,
> it's a high-density disk (1.4M).
>
> The fact you mentioned that you used an old disc, where you
> previously had an 800k-only Plus, suggests to me you're still using
> a disck with a single hole.

As far as I know, the only 1.44M floppy drives that ignore the
media-sensing hole are the ones IBM put in PS/2 systems.  Which
created some real problems, since other computers can't read a DD
disk that's formatted as 1.44M.  (Unless you punch a media hole in
the disk, of course.)

-- David
0
shamino