Mac to mac

I just remembered these groups and wondered if someone here could tell
me whether what I'd like to do is possible. (NO ONE around here knows
anything about Macs)

I have a G4 that was the top of the line in 1998. It will die one of
these days.  It's currently running OS 9.2.2. Someone else(who now lives
far away) installed the internal modem, SCSI for my scanner, and my
floppy drive (so I didn't have to go through hundreds of them for the
bits and pieces I might someday want again). I still have the floppies
and a number of Zips, all of which this computer can read.

Installing OS X on this computer strikes me as a bit short-sighted, as
it's not exactly "young" anyway.

What I'd like to do is buy a super-duper Mac laptop and learn to deal
with OS X on that.

HOWEVER, it would not be able to read my old media and would probably
have a fit at the suggestion that I use my old software, to some of
which I am unreasonably attached.(I already know 2 of the 4 come in OS X
versions, fortunately) It would also, I'm sure, reject my scanner and
possibly my printer as well. I'm not even sure it would be able to read
my backup disks, which are on funny DVDs that go into the CD slot
plastic case and all.

SO here--finally-- is the question: Is there a wireless solution? If a
new laptop could wirelessly talk to the old computer, I could gradually
move things to the laptop's media of choice.

Or is the old G4 TOO old to handle a wireless setup?

--
Mary Loomer Oliver (aka Erilar),
philologist, biblioholic medievalist

http://www.airstreamcomm.net/~erilarlo

0
erilar

In article <erilarloFRY-CC9262.19295906062006@news.airstreamcomm.net>,
erilar <erilarloFRY@SPAMchibardun.net.invalid> wrote:

> SO here--finally-- is the question: Is there a wireless solution? If a
> new laptop could wirelessly talk to the old computer, I could gradually
> move things to the laptop's media of choice.
>
> Or is the old G4 TOO old to handle a wireless setup?

Get a wireless router, connect the G4 to it via ethernet.

Alternately, connect the G4 and the new laptop via ethernet.
0
Dave
6/7/2006 12:38:08 AM
In article
<erilarloFRY-CC9262.19295906062006@news.airstreamcomm.net>,
 erilar <erilarloFRY@SPAMchibardun.net.invalid> wrote:

> I just remembered these groups and wondered if someone here could tell
> me whether what I'd like to do is possible. (NO ONE around here knows
> anything about Macs)
>
> I have a G4 that was the top of the line in 1998. It will die one of
> these days.  It's currently running OS 9.2.2. Someone else(who now lives
> far away) installed the internal modem, SCSI for my scanner, and my
> floppy drive (so I didn't have to go through hundreds of them for the
> bits and pieces I might someday want again). I still have the floppies
> and a number of Zips, all of which this computer can read.
>
> Installing OS X on this computer strikes me as a bit short-sighted, as
> it's not exactly "young" anyway.
>
> What I'd like to do is buy a super-duper Mac laptop and learn to deal
> with OS X on that.
>
> HOWEVER, it would not be able to read my old media and would probably
> have a fit at the suggestion that I use my old software, to some of
> which I am unreasonably attached.(I already know 2 of the 4 come in OS X
> versions, fortunately) It would also, I'm sure, reject my scanner and
> possibly my printer as well. I'm not even sure it would be able to read
> my backup disks, which are on funny DVDs that go into the CD slot
> plastic case and all.
>
> SO here--finally-- is the question: Is there a wireless solution? If a
> new laptop could wirelessly talk to the old computer, I could gradually
> move things to the laptop's media of choice.
>
> Or is the old G4 TOO old to handle a wireless setup?

Don't be too pessimistic. New X machines can use a lot of 9
software in a special program called Classic and they work
remarkably well. You will never use floppies so forget them...
but if you do you can easily copy them to a usb flash stick and
transfer that way to new machine. Ditto zips.

File sharing is possible too, I have always found it a fiddle but
that is me. You don't need wireless, just a simple ethernet
cable, crossover or not. Why spend dollars when a few cents will
do it.

--
dorayme
0
dorayme <doraymeRidThis@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

>  New X machines can use a lot of 9
> software in a special program called Classic

No currently shipping Mac laptop supports Classic.
0
Dave
6/7/2006 12:57:40 AM
In article
<060620061857402099%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca>,
 Dave Balderstone <dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca> wrote:

> In article
> <doraymeRidThis-B48C8C.10462207062006@news-vip.optusnet.com.au>,
> dorayme <doraymeRidThis@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>
> >  New X machines can use a lot of 9
> > software in a special program called Classic
>
> No currently shipping Mac laptop supports Classic.

Really, well, this world just moves too fast for me...

--
dorayme
0
In article <erilarloFRY-CC9262.19295906062006@news.airstreamcomm.net>,
 erilar <erilarloFRY@SPAMchibardun.net.invalid> wrote:

> [snip]
> What I'd like to do is buy a super-duper Mac laptop and learn to deal
> with OS X on that.
>
> HOWEVER, it would not be able to read my old media and would probably
> have a fit at the suggestion that I use my old software, to some of
> which I am unreasonably attached.(I already know 2 of the 4 come in OS X
> versions, fortunately) It would also, I'm sure, reject my scanner and
> possibly my printer as well. I'm not even sure it would be able to read
> my backup disks, which are on funny DVDs that go into the CD slot
> plastic case and all.

DVD-RAM. You new laptop wouldn't need to read them directly.

Get an ethernet cable and connect both machines together and network
them; transfer files from the old to the new.

> SO here--finally-- is the question: Is there a wireless solution? If a
> new laptop could wirelessly talk to the old computer, I could gradually
> move things to the laptop's media of choice.

Sure, but it's more expensive than the ethernet cable.

> Or is the old G4 TOO old to handle a wireless setup?

No. The G4 Power Macs with AGP graphics (which means all of them except
for the Yikes machines) came from the factory "airport ready"; they have
a connector on the motherboard to plug in a wireless card.

Apple doesn't make/sell the card any more, but you can find them on eBay
and similar places on the web.

Pop in the card, boot up the G4, and you're wireless.
0
Steve
6/7/2006 1:22:22 AM
In article <sehix-FBE5AA.18222206062006@news.isp.giganews.com>, Steve
Hix <sehix@NOSPAMspeakeasy.netINVALID> wrote:

> Apple doesn't make/sell the card any more, but you can find them on eBay
> and similar places on the web.
>
> Pop in the card, boot up the G4, and you're wireless.

Cheaper to buy a wireless router.
0
Dave
6/7/2006 1:43:05 AM
In article <060620061943055611%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca>,
dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca wrote:

> In article <sehix-FBE5AA.18222206062006@news.isp.giganews.com>, Steve
> Hix <sehix@NOSPAMspeakeasy.netINVALID> wrote:
>
> > Apple doesn't make/sell the card any more, but you can find them on
> > eBay
> > and similar places on the web.
> >
> > Pop in the card, boot up the G4, and you're wireless.
>
> Cheaper to buy a wireless router.

I'm afraid I don't know what that is. Does it involve fiddling around
inside the G4?  I really like the wireless option.

--
Mary Loomer Oliver (aka Erilar),
philologist, biblioholic medievalist

http://www.airstreamcomm.net/~erilarlo

0
erilar
6/7/2006 1:51:09 AM
In article <erilarloFRY-1071DC.20510906062006@news.airstreamcomm.net>,
erilar <erilarloFRY@SPAMchibardun.net.invalid> wrote:

> I'm afraid I don't know what that is. Does it involve fiddling around
> inside the G4?  I really like the wireless option.

No, it's an external piece of hardware. If you're on DSL or cable, the
router would sit between the G4 and the DSL/cable box. Your G4 would
connect to it by an ethernet cable and the laptop would connect by
wireless.

If you want the G4 to be wireless you will have to install an Airport
card, which is not difficult but because the original cards (that you
would need) are no longer sold by Apple you would have to find a used
one. They're a desireable item and as a result can be pricey on the
used/eBay market.
0
Dave
6/7/2006 4:58:19 AM
In article <erilarloFRY-1071DC.20510906062006@news.airstreamcomm.net>,
 erilar <erilarloFRY@SPAMchibardun.net.invalid> wrote:

> In article <060620061943055611%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca>,
> dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca wrote:
>
> > In article <sehix-FBE5AA.18222206062006@news.isp.giganews.com>, Steve
> > Hix <sehix@NOSPAMspeakeasy.netINVALID> wrote:
> >
> > > Apple doesn't make/sell the card any more, but you can find them on
> > > eBay
> > > and similar places on the web.
> > >
> > > Pop in the card, boot up the G4, and you're wireless.
> >
> > Cheaper to buy a wireless router.
>
> I'm afraid I don't know what that is. Does it involve fiddling around
> inside the G4?  I really like the wireless option.

Yes, you have to fiddle around inside. Access and working inside the G4
is easy, as long as you follow directions.

If you really want to go wireless with the G4, you'll need a wireless
router, and one of three ways to enable wireless operation on the G4:

 - Find and buy an Apple Airport card from eBay or someone equivalent,
and install it in the internal connector. (A three-minute job, once you
have the card.)

 - Find a PCI card adapter that can use some other PCcard type WiFi
card.

 - Get a USB WiFi adapter and connect it to one of the G4's USB
connectors. (They're reputed to be somewhat less than wonderful.)

Any way you choose is going to be more expensive than just running an
ethernet cable between the G4 and a hardware router.
0
Steve
6/7/2006 4:58:47 AM
In article <060620061857402099%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca>, Dave
Balderstone <dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca> wrote:

> In article
> <doraymeRidThis-B48C8C.10462207062006@news-vip.optusnet.com.au>,
> dorayme <doraymeRidThis@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>
> >  New X machines can use a lot of 9 software in a special program
> > called Classic
>
> No currently shipping Mac laptop supports Classic.

Not quite true.

The PowerMac (and presumably Apple's server boxes) is still using the
PowerPC chip and therefore will run Classic applications.

It's only all the other Mac models that now use Intel chips that can't
use the "Classic" environment.

Mind you, that's no great loss since the quality of "Classic"
problematic at best and seems to suffer many strange quirks.  :o\

You can of course use a Mac emulator and still run old Mac software on
newer Macs that way, although last time I looked (a long while back)
none of them could emulate a PowerPC chip so you were stuck running
System 7.5.

Helpful Harry
Hopefully helping harassed humans happily handle handiwork hardships  ;o)
0
Helpful
6/7/2006 6:45:56 AM
In article <070620061845567602%helpful_harry@nom.de.plume.com>,
 Helpful Harry <helpful_harry@nom.de.plume.com> wrote:

> In article <060620061857402099%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca>, Dave
> Balderstone <dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca> wrote:

> > No currently shipping Mac laptop supports Classic.
>
> Not quite true.
>
> The PowerMac (and presumably Apple's server boxes) is still using the
> PowerPC chip and therefore will run Classic applications.

He did say laptop ;-)

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>
0
Leonard Blaisdell <leo@greatbasin.com> wrote:

> In article <070620061845567602%helpful_harry@nom.de.plume.com>,
>  Helpful Harry <helpful_harry@nom.de.plume.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <060620061857402099%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca>, Dave
> > Balderstone <dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca> wrote:
> > >
> > > No currently shipping Mac laptop supports Classic.
> >
> > Not quite true.
> >
> > The PowerMac (and presumably Apple's server boxes) is still using the
> > PowerPC chip and therefore will run Classic applications.
>
> He did say laptop ;-)

DOH!!! I missed that critical word. That'll teach me to not reply after
a long tiring day at work. Apologies for that slip-up.  :o\

Helpful Harry
Hopefully helping harassed humans happily handle handiwork hardships  ;o)
0
Helpful
6/7/2006 7:24:33 AM
Dave Balderstone wrote:
> In article <sehix-FBE5AA.18222206062006@news.isp.giganews.com>, Steve
> Hix <sehix@NOSPAMspeakeasy.netINVALID> wrote:
>
> > Apple doesn't make/sell the card any more, but you can find them on eBay
> > and similar places on the web.
> >
> > Pop in the card, boot up the G4, and you're wireless.
>
> Cheaper to buy a wireless router.

Also if both machines have Firewire you can plug them together with a
Firewire cable then restart one and hold down the T key.  This turns
that machine into a Firewire hard drive. This is about the fastest way
to transfer a lot of files.
--jim

0
vze35xda
6/7/2006 9:44:10 AM
In article <070620061845567602%helpful_harry@nom.de.plume.com>, Helpful
Harry <helpful_harry@nom.de.plume.com> wrote:

> In article <060620061857402099%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca>, Dave
> Balderstone <dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca> wrote:
>
> > In article
> > <doraymeRidThis-B48C8C.10462207062006@news-vip.optusnet.com.au>,
> > dorayme <doraymeRidThis@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> >
> > >  New X machines can use a lot of 9 software in a special program
> > > called Classic
> >
> > No currently shipping Mac laptop supports Classic.
>
> Not quite true.
>
> The PowerMac (and presumably Apple's server boxes) is still using the
> PowerPC chip and therefore will run Classic applications.

I said *laptop*.
0
Dave
6/7/2006 1:07:40 PM
Hei Erilar

erilar wrote:
> [...]
> SO here--finally-- is the question: Is there a wireless solution? If a =

> new laptop could wirelessly talk to the old computer, I could gradually=
=20
> move things to the laptop's media of choice.

Hm, I'm not sure that a wireless system will be usealbe on this G4 - is=20
it the 300mhz or 350mhz PCI or the 1st generation 350mhz AGP?

> Or is the old G4 TOO old to handle a wireless setup?

The simplest way is to connect the two machines via an ethernet cable in =

a local network - either directly or via a small switch/router, s=E5 you =

can have one or both running at the same time and even connect to the=20
net from either one or both...

But. The G4/300mhz and 350mhz PCI/AGP will be able to run even OS X=20
Tiger 10.4.x, because it has built-in Firewire. OS X 10.3.x though will=20
be the best solution, since the Panther is available on CD, which 10.4=20
isn't anymore...

Cheers, Erik Richard

--=20
KMLDenmark by Erik Richard S=F8rensen, Member of ADC
<kmldenmark_NOSP@M_stofanet.dk>
*Music Recording, Editing & Publishing - Also Smaller Quantities
*Software - For Theological Education - And For Physically Impaired
*Nisus - The Future in Text & Mail Processing <http://www.nisus.com>

ISO
6/7/2006 4:05:36 PM
Hei Dave

Sorry, but that's not true! The only machines that (yet) don't support=20
classic are the MacBooks and the other Intel based Macs

_ANY_ other Mac does support installation of the OS 9.2.x and run it as=20
'Classic Mode'.

But - no Mac since the G4/1,2ghz does supports OS 9.x bootability.

cheers, Erik Richard

Dave Balderstone wrote:
>dorayme <doraymeRidThis@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
>> New X machines can use a lot of 9=20
>>software in a special program called Classic
>=20
> No currently shipping Mac laptop supports Classic.

--=20
KMLDenmark by Erik Richard S=F8rensen, Member of ADC
<kmldenmark_NOSP@M_stofanet.dk>
*Music Recording, Editing & Publishing - Also Smaller Quantities
*Software - For Theological Education - And For Physically Impaired
*Nisus - The Future in Text & Mail Processing <http://www.nisus.com>

ISO
6/7/2006 4:17:46 PM
In article <4486fc2b$0$7637$ba624c82@nntp02.dk.telia.net>, Erik Richard
S�rensen <NOSPAM@NOSPAM.dk> wrote:

> Sorry, but that's not true!

Which currently shipping Mac LAPTOP supports Classic?

Go to http://store.apple.com and find one. Remember... I said LAPTOP.
0
Dave
6/7/2006 4:23:36 PM
Hei Dave

Some stores still can deliever both iBooks and the 17" PowerBook...
cheers, Erik Richard

Dave Balderstone wrote:
>Erik Richard S=F8rensen <NOSPAM@NOSPAM.dk> wrote:
>>Sorry, but that's not true!=20
>=20
> Which currently shipping Mac LAPTOP supports Classic?
> Go to http://store.apple.com and find one. Remember... I said LAPTOP.

--=20
KMLDenmark by Erik Richard S=F8rensen, Member of ADC
<kmldenmark_NOSP@M_stofanet.dk>
*Music Recording, Editing & Publishing - Also Smaller Quantities
*Software - For Theological Education - And For Physically Impaired
*Nisus - The Future in Text & Mail Processing <http://www.nisus.com>

ISO
6/7/2006 4:31:56 PM
In article <4486ff7c$0$7637$ba624c82@nntp02.dk.telia.net>, Erik Richard
S�rensen <NOSPAM@NOSPAM.dk> wrote:

> Some stores still can deliever both iBooks and the 17" PowerBook...

Non sequitur.

No currently shipping Mac laptop supports Classic.
0
Dave
6/7/2006 5:00:55 PM
erilar <erilarloFRY@SPAMchibardun.net.invalid> wrote:

> I have a G4 that was the top of the line in 1998. It will die one of
> these days.  It's currently running OS 9.2.2. Someone else(who now lives
> far away) installed the internal modem, SCSI for my scanner, and my
> floppy drive (so I didn't have to go through hundreds of them for the
> bits and pieces I might someday want again). I still have the floppies
> and a number of Zips, all of which this computer can read.

    Copy your floppies to the G4 hard drive and burn CD's containing
them. A CD can hold close to 500 floppies so you'll save space at the
same time.

    If you have hundreds of floppies do it the way I added my CDs the
first time iTunes came out: ten to twenty every day and in a month it's
done. If your G4 doesn't burn CDs or DVDs send the data by Airport or
Ethernet to the new laptop and do it from there. Dont forget also that
your new hard drive will be much bigger than the one you have and you
may be able to keep all your floppies and zips on the drive.

    Lastly, if I were you, I'd keep the G4 as a server with filesharing
activated and keep all this data on it (the floppies, zips and other
backups can then go to the basement ;-)

--
Les gens sans humour manquent de s�rieux.
0
Dave Balderstone <dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca> wrote:

> No currently shipping Mac laptop supports Classic.

    Apple sells them on the refurb, so... shops can have some in stock.
Here, in France, large retail stores offer rebates to those who want to
help them clear the stock of old models.

--
Les gens sans humour manquent de s�rieux.
0
benoit
6/7/2006 5:11:57 PM
On Wed, 7 Jun 2006 19:11:57 +0200, Benoit Leraillez <benoit.sansspam@leraillez.sansspam.com> wrote:
> Dave Balderstone <dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca> wrote:
>
>> No currently shipping Mac laptop supports Classic.
>
>     Apple sells them on the refurb, so... shops can have some in stock.
> Here, in France, large retail stores offer rebates to those who want to
> help them clear the stock of old models.

Yes, and some store may have one 5 years from now as "new old stock", so
people like you would argue "But I _can_ buy a new Mac that runs
Classic".  Yes, yes, we understand.  Dave's original point is valid,
local examples of old stock don't change that fact.

0
Dave
6/7/2006 5:14:57 PM
In article
<1hgkt94.1b9ryg5nh1t53N%benoit.sansspam@leraillez.sansspam.com>, Benoit
Leraillez <benoit.sansspam@leraillez.sansspam.com> wrote:

>     Apple sells them on the refurb, so... shops can have some in stock.
> Here, in France, large retail stores offer rebates to those who want to
> help them clear the stock of old models.

Non sequitur.
0
Dave
6/7/2006 5:18:47 PM
Dave Balderstone <dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca> wrote:

> Non sequitur.

 vulgum pecus.

--
Les gens sans humour manquent de s�rieux.
0
benoit
6/7/2006 5:29:55 PM
In article <4486ff7c$0$7637$ba624c82@nntp02.dk.telia.net>, Erik Richard
S�rensen <NOSPAM@NOSPAM.dk> wrote:

> Hei Dave
>
> Some stores still can deliever both iBooks and the 17" PowerBook...
> cheers, Erik Richard

But then I'd still have an old model.

--
Mary Loomer Oliver (aka Erilar),
philologist, biblioholic medievalist

http://www.airstreamcomm.net/~erilarlo

0
erilar
6/7/2006 5:38:09 PM
In article
<1hgkst8.1ks4quv1pf364N%benoit.sansspam@leraillez.sansspam.com>,
benoit.sansspam@leraillez.sansspam.com (Benoit Leraillez) wrote:

> erilar <erilarloFRY@SPAMchibardun.net.invalid> wrote:
>
> > I have a G4 that was the top of the line in 1998. It will die one of
> > these days.  It's currently running OS 9.2.2. Someone else(who now lives
> > far away) installed the internal modem, SCSI for my scanner, and my
> > floppy drive (so I didn't have to go through hundreds of them for the
> > bits and pieces I might someday want again). I still have the floppies
> > and a number of Zips, all of which this computer can read.
>
>     Copy your floppies to the G4 hard drive and burn CD's containing
> them. A CD can hold close to 500 floppies so you'll save space at the
> same time.

   I've been putting that off for years 8-)  I can't burn CD's, but I
can save to these weird DVDs that I have to insert case and all. They
hold a lot. Question here is, can they be read by a new laptop?

>     If you have hundreds of floppies do it the way I added my CDs the
> first time iTunes came out: ten to twenty every day and in a month it's
> done. If your G4 doesn't burn CDs or DVDs send the data by Airport or
> Ethernet to the new laptop and do it from there. Dont forget also that
> your new hard drive will be much bigger than the one you have and you
> may be able to keep all your floppies and zips on the drive.

   Airport is what I was wondering about when all this began. Is it a
physical thing to plug in or does it involve doing something inside the
case?

They had Ethernet at the school I used to teach at; I remember the thing
plugged into my computer there. Does THAT require something inside the
case?

>     Lastly, if I were you, I'd keep the G4 as a server with filesharing
> activated and keep all this data on it (the floppies, zips and other
> backups can then go to the basement ;-)

That's what I really want to do.

--
Mary Loomer Oliver (aka Erilar),
philologist, biblioholic medievalist

http://www.airstreamcomm.net/~erilarlo

0
erilar
6/7/2006 5:45:04 PM
In article
<1hgku3x.1rin5zc8xpf5sN%benoit.sansspam@leraillez.sansspam.com>, Benoit
Leraillez <benoit.sansspam@leraillez.sansspam.com> wrote:

>  vulgum pecus.

plonk
0
Dave
6/7/2006 5:49:13 PM
erilar <erilarloFRY@SPAMchibardun.net.invalid> wrote:

>    I've been putting that off for years 8-)  I can't burn CD's, but I
> can save to these weird DVDs that I have to insert case and all. They
> hold a lot. Question here is, can they be read by a new laptop?

    Your laptop will be able to burn CDs or DVDs so transferring the
data from the old media to the G4 and from there to the laptop will do
the job.

> >     If you have hundreds of floppies do it the way I added my CDs the
> > first time iTunes came out: ten to twenty every day and in a month it's
> > done. If your G4 doesn't burn CDs or DVDs send the data by Airport or
> > Ethernet to the new laptop and do it from there. Dont forget also that
> > your new hard drive will be much bigger than the one you have and you
> > may be able to keep all your floppies and zips on the drive.
>
>    Airport is what I was wondering about when all this began. Is it a
> physical thing to plug in or does it involve doing something inside the
> case?

    Open the case and fill the slot with the card. Look inside if you
already have the card holder in place. Its really close to where the
Aiport antena connector is ;-)  (on the left hand side if I remember
well)

> They had Ethernet at the school I used to teach at; I remember the thing
> plugged into my computer there. Does THAT require something inside the
> case?

    Nothing whatsoever except the cable and a correct configuration of
the Ethernet port in the preferences.

> >     Lastly, if I were you, I'd keep the G4 as a server with filesharing
> > activated and keep all this data on it (the floppies, zips and other
> > backups can then go to the basement ;-)
>
> That's what I really want to do.

    It's almost done ;-)

--
Les gens sans humour manquent de s�rieux.
0
benoit
6/7/2006 5:53:19 PM
In article <4486f950$0$8100$ba624c82@nntp02.dk.telia.net>, Erik Richard
S�rensen <NOSPAM@NOSPAM.dk> wrote:

> Hei Erilar
>
> erilar wrote:
> > [...]
> > SO here--finally-- is the question: Is there a wireless solution? If a
> > new laptop could wirelessly talk to the old computer, I could gradually
> > move things to the laptop's media of choice.
>
> Hm, I'm not sure that a wireless system will be usealbe on this G4 - is
> it the 300mhz or 350mhz PCI or the 1st generation 350mhz AGP?

I just tried to look that up and can't find it. It was brand new top of
the line in June 1999 if my memory is reliable. I bought it some extra
RAM at the time because I play with graphics. 384 built-in is nowhere
near enough any more 8-(

> > Or is the old G4 TOO old to handle a wireless setup?
>
> The simplest way is to connect the two machines via an ethernet cable in
> a local network - either directly or via a small switch/router, s� you
> can have one or both running at the same time and even connect to the
> net from either one or both...
>
> But. The G4/300mhz and 350mhz PCI/AGP will be able to run even OS X
> Tiger 10.4.x, because it has built-in Firewire. OS X 10.3.x though will
> be the best solution, since the Panther is available on CD, which 10.4
> isn't anymore...

Well, I have both "Airport support" and "Firewire support" lying around
in the Extensions folder. . .

--
Mary Loomer Oliver (aka Erilar),
philologist, biblioholic medievalist

http://www.airstreamcomm.net/~erilarlo

0
erilar
6/7/2006 5:58:22 PM
In article <060620062258198440%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca>,
dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca wrote:

> In article <erilarloFRY-1071DC.20510906062006@news.airstreamcomm.net>,
> erilar <erilarloFRY@SPAMchibardun.net.invalid> wrote:
>
> > I'm afraid I don't know what that is. Does it involve fiddling around
> > inside the G4?  I really like the wireless option.
>
> No, it's an external piece of hardware. If you're on DSL or cable, the
> router would sit between the G4 and the DSL/cable box. Your G4 would
> connect to it by an ethernet cable and the laptop would connect by
> wireless.

   I'm an antique; I still have a dial-up connection. One of these days.
.. .

> If you want the G4 to be wireless you will have to install an Airport
> card, which is not difficult but because the original cards (that you
> would need) are no longer sold by Apple you would have to find a used
> one. They're a desireable item and as a result can be pricey on the
> used/eBay market.

Well, my Extensions folder includes Airport AP, Airport AP Support,
Airport Driver, Firewire Authoring Support, Firewire Enabler, Firewire
Support, and I know there's a place on the back to plug in a connector I
don't have on anything that I believe is for Firewire.

So would I need to install something inside Old Faithful or not?

--
Mary Loomer Oliver (aka Erilar),
philologist, biblioholic medievalist

http://www.airstreamcomm.net/~erilarlo

0
erilar
6/7/2006 6:07:58 PM
In article <sehix-08034E.21584706062006@news.isp.giganews.com>, Steve
Hix <sehix@NOSPAMspeakeasy.netINVALID> wrote:

> Yes, you have to fiddle around inside. Access and working inside the G4
> is easy, as long as you follow directions.

   Once upon a day I could fiddle around inside a ham rig; I suppose I
could manage if I had to 8-(

> If you really want to go wireless with the G4, you'll need a wireless
> router, and one of three ways to enable wireless operation on the G4:
>
>  - Find and buy an Apple Airport card from eBay or someone equivalent,
> and install it in the internal connector. (A three-minute job, once you
> have the card.)

   Is this more than what's already inside(see earlier reply)?

>  - Find a PCI card adapter that can use some other PCcard type WiFi
> card.

      Lost me on that one 8-(

>  - Get a USB WiFi adapter and connect it to one of the G4's USB
> connectors. (They're reputed to be somewhat less than wonderful.)
>
> Any way you choose is going to be more expensive than just running an
> ethernet cable between the G4 and a hardware router.

I have a feeling I'm going to end up with something like that if I can
figure it all out.

I want to thank everyone for suggestions; I've saved all of them for
future reference and will continue to do so.  Despite some remaining
confusion on my part, I think I have a much better handle on what I can
and can't do.

--
Mary Loomer Oliver (aka Erilar),
philologist, biblioholic medievalist

http://www.airstreamcomm.net/~erilarlo

0
erilar
6/7/2006 6:13:32 PM
In article <erilarloFRY-803613.13075807062006@news.airstreamcomm.net>,
erilar <erilarloFRY@SPAMchibardun.net.invalid> wrote:

>    I'm an antique; I still have a dial-up connection.

Then you need a wireless router that can dial out. Apple's Airport base
station will, I'm not sure about others.

> Well, my Extensions folder includes Airport AP, Airport AP Support,
> Airport Driver, Firewire Authoring Support, Firewire Enabler, Firewire
> Support, and I know there's a place on the back to plug in a connector
> I  don't have on anything that I believe is for Firewire.
>
> So would I need to install something inside Old Faithful or not?

It depends on whether you want O.F. to connect wirelessly. If not, you
could plug it into the router/base station with an ethernet cable and
connect the laptop wirelessly. The two Macs could talk to each other,
and would both be able to connect to the net via dialup.

If you want both Macs to be wireless, then yes. You have to install an
original Airport card into O.F. But it's a simple thing to do, really.

Also, since you're on dial-up, you should know that the new laptops do
not include a built-in modem. Apple sells an optional USB one to go
with them.
0
Dave
6/7/2006 6:28:54 PM
In article <erilarloFRY-A02FA3.12450407062006@news.airstreamcomm.net>,
 erilar <erilarloFRY@SPAMchibardun.net.invalid> wrote:

> In article
> <1hgkst8.1ks4quv1pf364N%benoit.sansspam@leraillez.sansspam.com>,
> benoit.sansspam@leraillez.sansspam.com (Benoit Leraillez) wrote:
>
> > erilar <erilarloFRY@SPAMchibardun.net.invalid> wrote:
> >
> > > I have a G4 that was the top of the line in 1998. It will die one of
> > > these days.  It's currently running OS 9.2.2. Someone else(who now lives
> > > far away) installed the internal modem, SCSI for my scanner, and my
> > > floppy drive (so I didn't have to go through hundreds of them for the
> > > bits and pieces I might someday want again). I still have the floppies
> > > and a number of Zips, all of which this computer can read.
> >
> >     Copy your floppies to the G4 hard drive and burn CD's containing
> > them. A CD can hold close to 500 floppies so you'll save space at the
> > same time.
>
>    I've been putting that off for years 8-)  I can't burn CD's, but I
> can save to these weird DVDs that I have to insert case and all. They
> hold a lot. Question here is, can they be read by a new laptop?

Probably not.

You *could* replace the optical drive in the G4 for about, what, $50
with a CD burner.
0
Steve
6/7/2006 6:59:01 PM
In article <erilarloFRY-2F1428.12582207062006@news.airstreamcomm.net>,
 erilar <erilarloFRY@SPAMchibardun.net.invalid> wrote:

> In article <4486f950$0$8100$ba624c82@nntp02.dk.telia.net>, Erik Richard
> S�rensen <NOSPAM@NOSPAM.dk> wrote:
>
> > Hei Erilar
> >
> > erilar wrote:
> > > [...]
> > > SO here--finally-- is the question: Is there a wireless solution? If a
> > > new laptop could wirelessly talk to the old computer, I could gradually
> > > move things to the laptop's media of choice.
> >
> > Hm, I'm not sure that a wireless system will be usealbe on this G4 - is
> > it the 300mhz or 350mhz PCI or the 1st generation 350mhz AGP?
>
> I just tried to look that up and can't find it. It was brand new top of
> the line in June 1999 if my memory is reliable. I bought it some extra
> RAM at the time because I play with graphics. 384 built-in is nowhere
> near enough any more 8-(

Check to see whether your graphics card is AGP or PCI through the system
profiler.

If it's AGP, you're in good shape, wireless potential-wise.

> Well, I have both "Airport support" and "Firewire support" lying around
> in the Extensions folder. . .

A lot of machines that lack the hardware for that support will have the
files in the extensions folder.
0
Steve
6/7/2006 7:02:33 PM
In article <erilarloFRY-66159E.13133207062006@news.airstreamcomm.net>,
 erilar <erilarloFRY@SPAMchibardun.net.invalid> wrote:

> In article <sehix-08034E.21584706062006@news.isp.giganews.com>, Steve
> Hix <sehix@NOSPAMspeakeasy.netINVALID> wrote:
>

> > Yes, you have to fiddle around inside. Access and working inside the G4
> > is easy, as long as you follow directions.
>
>    Once upon a day I could fiddle around inside a ham rig; I suppose I
> could manage if I had to 8-(

*Much* easier than the ham rig.

> > If you really want to go wireless with the G4, you'll need a wireless
> > router, and one of three ways to enable wireless operation on the G4:
> >
> >  - Find and buy an Apple Airport card from eBay or someone equivalent,
> > and install it in the internal connector. (A three-minute job, once you
> > have the card.)
>
>    Is this more than what's already inside(see earlier reply)?

If the card is already installed, you should be connecting to a local
wireless network. If it isn't, you have to find/buy one.

> >  - Find a PCI card adapter that can use some other PCcard type WiFi
> > card.
>
>       Lost me on that one 8-(

There are a bunch of WiFi cards for laptops, either PCMCIA or PCcard,
that won't fit the internal Airport connector. So a couple of companies
made PCI cards with the right adapter to let you install one of those
WiFi cards in desktop machines.

Again, you'll probably have to go online somewhere to find one.

> >  - Get a USB WiFi adapter and connect it to one of the G4's USB
> > connectors. (They're reputed to be somewhat less than wonderful.)
> >
> > Any way you choose is going to be more expensive than just running an
> > ethernet cable between the G4 and a hardware router.
>
> I have a feeling I'm going to end up with something like that if I can
> figure it all out.
>

> I want to thank everyone for suggestions; I've saved all of them for
> future reference and will continue to do so.  Despite some remaining
> confusion on my part, I think I have a much better handle on what I can
> and can't do.

As far as moving files from the old G4 to the new machine goes, an
ethernet cable is still the cheapest/simplest method brought up yet.

Getting the G4 on your local network is a separate issue.
0
Steve
6/7/2006 7:07:43 PM
Erik Richard S�rensen <NOSPAM@NOSPAM.dk> wrote:

> Some stores still can deliever both iBooks and the 17" PowerBook...

Oh geez.  He specifically said "currently shipping Mac LAPTOP" and I
believe everyone but you understood full well what he meant.

--
Mike Rosenberg
<http://www.cafepress.com/macconsult,macconsult4> Mac-themed T-shirts
On 2006-06-07 03:29:59 +0300, erilar
<erilarloFRY@SPAMchibardun.net.invalid> said:

> SO here--finally-- is the question: Is there a wireless solution? If a
> new laptop could wirelessly talk to the old computer, I could gradually
> move things to the laptop's media of choice.
>
> Or is the old G4 TOO old to handle a wireless setup?

Serving stuff does not need CPU, it needs RAM. As you won't setup a
internet server handling thousands of clients, it is out of question.

It can really serve well as server. I think you may even help
folding@home with that machine while it serves to your house.

There are still Pentium Pro (yes,pro!) servers serving thousands of
people. It is just RAM maxed and SCSI setup.

Ilgaz

0
ISO
6/7/2006 9:43:54 PM
Hei Mary

Well, but the 17" PowerBook won't be 'old' for some years though. - If I =

had the money to spare, I'd buy one myself...
cheers, ERik Richard

erilar wrote:
>Erik Richard S=F8rensen wrote:
>>Some stores still can deliever both iBooks and the 17" PowerBook...
>>cheers, Erik Richard
>=20
> But then I'd still have an old model.

--=20
KMLDenmark by Erik Richard S=F8rensen, Member of ADC
<kmldenmark_NOSP@M_stofanet.dk>
*Music Recording, Editing & Publishing - Also Smaller Quantities
*Software - For Theological Education - And For Physically Impaired
*Nisus - The Future in Text & Mail Processing <http://www.nisus.com>

ISO
6/7/2006 10:34:58 PM
Hei Mary

erilar wrote:
>Erik Richard S=F8rensen wrote:
>>erilar wrote:
>>>SO here--finally-- is the question: Is there a wireless solution? If a=
=20
>>>new laptop could wirelessly talk to the old computer, I could graduall=
y=20
>>>move things to the laptop's media of choice.
>>
>>Hm, I'm not sure that a wireless system will be usealbe on this G4 - is=
=20
>>it the 300mhz or 350mhz PCI or the 1st generation 350mhz AGP?
>=20
> I just tried to look that up and can't find it. It was brand new top of=
=20
> the line in June 1999 if my memory is reliable.

Two models were released during 1999 - the 'Yikes' (PCI only) with ROM=20
revision $77D-44f1 and the 'sawtooth (AGP) with ROM rev. $77D-44f3. -=20
You can see this in 'Apple Systemprofiler' in the Apple Menu.

> I bought it some extra RAM at the time because I play with
> graphics. 384 built-in is nowhere near enough any more 8-(

Yep, but _384mb_ at that time was a lot of memory..:-))

>>>Or is the old G4 TOO old to handle a wireless setup?
>>
>>The simplest way is to connect the two machines via an ethernet cable i=
n=20
>>a local network - either directly or via a small switch/router, s=E5 yo=
u=20
>>can have one or both running at the same time and even connect to the=20
>>net from either one or both...
>>
>>But. The G4/300mhz and 350mhz PCI/AGP will be able to run even OS X=20
>>Tiger 10.4.x, because it has built-in Firewire. OS X 10.3.x though will=
=20
>>be the best solution, since the Panther is available on CD, which 10.4 =

>>isn't anymore...
>=20
>=20
> Well, I have both "Airport support" and "Firewire support" lying around=
=20
> in the Extensions folder...

Both models have 2 Firewire connectors. I know that the Sawtooth model=20
does support Airport, but I'm not sure, whether the Yikes also does.

But anyway... just connect the two machines with an ethernet cable. In=20
the control panels folder on your G4 just open 'File Sharing' and turn=20
it on. - and it should then appear on the desktop on a new PowerBook as=20
an external disk, - and then it's just the normal drag-and-drop to copy=20
data from the G4 to the laptop.

cheers, Erik Richard

--=20
KMLDenmark by Erik Richard S=F8rensen, Member of ADC
<kmldenmark_NOSP@M_stofanet.dk>
*Music Recording, Editing & Publishing - Also Smaller Quantities
*Software - For Theological Education - And For Physically Impaired
*Nisus - The Future in Text & Mail Processing <http://www.nisus.com>

ISO
6/7/2006 10:56:06 PM
In article <44875986$0$9301$ba624c82@nntp02.dk.telia.net>,
 Erik Richard S�rensen <NOSPAM@NOSPAM.dk> wrote:

> Hei Mary
>
> erilar wrote:
> >Erik Richard S�rensen wrote:
> >>
> >>Hm, I'm not sure that a wireless system will be usealbe on this G4 - is
> >>it the 300mhz or 350mhz PCI or the 1st generation 350mhz AGP?
> >
> > I just tried to look that up and can't find it. It was brand new top of
> > the line in June 1999 if my memory is reliable.
>
> Two models were released during 1999 - the 'Yikes' (PCI only) with ROM
> revision $77D-44f1 and the 'sawtooth (AGP) with ROM rev. $77D-44f3. -
> You can see this in 'Apple Systemprofiler' in the Apple Menu.
>
> > I bought it some extra RAM at the time because I play with
> > graphics. 384 built-in is nowhere near enough any more 8-(
>
> Yep, but  384mb  at that time was a lot of memory..:-))

> >>The simplest way is to connect the two machines via an ethernet cable in
> >>a local network - either directly or via a small switch/router, s� you
> >>can have one or both running at the same time and even connect to the
> >>net from either one or both...
> >>
> >>But. The G4/300mhz and 350mhz PCI/AGP will be able to run even OS X
> >>Tiger 10.4.x, because it has built-in Firewire. OS X 10.3.x though will
> >>be the best solution, since the Panther is available on CD, which 10.4
> >>isn't anymore...
> >

> > Well, I have both "Airport support" and "Firewire support" lying around
> > in the Extensions folder...
>
> Both models have 2 Firewire connectors. I know that the Sawtooth model
> does support Airport, but I'm not sure, whether the Yikes also does.

It doesn't. As near as makes no difference, it was a Yosemite (B&W G3)
motherboard tweaked to run a G4; no Airport connector.

> But anyway... just connect the two machines with an ethernet cable. In
> the control panels folder on your G4 just open 'File Sharing' and turn
> it on. - and it should then appear on the desktop on a new PowerBook as
> an external disk, - and then it's just the normal drag-and-drop to copy
> data from the G4 to the laptop.
>
> cheers, Erik Richard
0
Steve
6/8/2006 5:22:51 AM
In article <070620061228549070%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca>,
dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca wrote:

> Also, since you're on dial-up, you should know that the new laptops do
> not include a built-in modem. Apple sells an optional USB one to go
> with them.

Just for dial-up? What if I get the cable connection I've een putting
off?

--
Mary Loomer Oliver (aka Erilar),
philologist, biblioholic medievalist

http://www.airstreamcomm.net/~erilarlo

0
erilar
6/8/2006 4:51:58 PM
In article <erilarloFRY-2F1428.12582207062006@news.airstreamcomm.net>,
erilar <erilarloFRY@SPAMchibardun.net.invalid> wrote:

> In article <4486f950$0$8100$ba624c82@nntp02.dk.telia.net>, Erik Richard
> S�rensen <NOSPAM@NOSPAM.dk> wrote:
>
> > Hei Erilar
> >
> > erilar wrote:
> > > [...]
> > > SO here--finally-- is the question: Is there a wireless solution? If
> > > new laptop could wirelessly talk to the old computer, I could
> > > gradually
> > > move things to the laptop's media of choice.
> >
> > Hm, I'm not sure that a wireless system will be usealbe on this G4 - is
> > it the 300mhz or 350mhz PCI or the 1st generation 350mhz AGP?
>
> I just tried to look that up and can't find it. It was brand new top of
> the line in June 1999 if my memory is reliable. I bought it some extra
> RAM at the time because I play with graphics. 384 built-in is nowhere
> near enough any more 8-(

 Correcting myself: new in June 2000

--
Mary Loomer Oliver (aka Erilar),
philologist, biblioholic medievalist

http://www.airstreamcomm.net/~erilarlo

0
erilar
6/8/2006 4:52:37 PM
In article <44875986$0$9301$ba624c82@nntp02.dk.telia.net>, Erik Richard
S�rensen <NOSPAM@NOSPAM.dk> wrote:

> But anyway... just connect the two machines with an ethernet cable. In
> the control panels folder on your G4 just open 'File Sharing' and turn
> it on. - and it should then appear on the desktop on a new PowerBook as
> an external disk, - and then it's just the normal drag-and-drop to copy
> data from the G4 to the laptop.

What about the other direction? Can I use the ethernet connection to go
through the G4 to print and scan?

--
Mary Loomer Oliver (aka Erilar),
philologist, biblioholic medievalist

http://www.airstreamcomm.net/~erilarlo

0
erilar
6/8/2006 4:53:59 PM
Hei Mary

erilar wrote:
>Erik Richard S=F8rensen <NOSPAM@NOSPAM.dk> wrote:
>>But anyway... just connect the two machines with an ethernet cable. In =

>>the control panels folder on your G4 just open 'File Sharing' and turn =

>>it on. - and it should then appear on the desktop on a new PowerBook as=
=20
>>an external disk, - and then it's just the normal drag-and-drop to copy=
=20
>>data from the G4 to the laptop.
>=20
> What about the other direction?

Yes, the ethrnet connection goes both ways. Just enable the 'File=20
sharing' on the laptop as well.

> Can I use the ethernet connection to go=20
> through the G4 to print and scan?

Scanning I'm not sure about, but printing should be available. You just=20
need to enable 'Printer sharing' on the laptop -> System Preferences ->=20
Print & Fax. On the OS 9.2.2 you need the control panel 'USB Printer=20
Sharing'. Make the printr sharing active in this controlpanel.

If you have a multifunction printer+scanner+copier - fx. a HP PSC model=20
with software for both OS 9.x and OS X, it should even be possible to=20
both print and scan from both computers. I did this with a HP PSC 1110=20
on my G4 running OS X 10.3.9 and my PowerBook Pismo 500 running OS=20
9.2.2, - so why not the other way round too.:-))

cheers, Erik Richard

--=20
KMLDenmark by Erik Richard S=F8rensen, Member of ADC
<kmldenmark_NOSP@M_stofanet.dk>
*Music Recording, Editing & Publishing - Also Smaller Quantities
*Software - For Theological Education - And For Physically Impaired
*Nisus - The Future in Text & Mail Processing <http://www.nisus.com>

ISO
6/9/2006 1:09:49 AM
In article
<erilarloFRY-A8EFF2.11515808062006@news.airstreamcomm.net>,
 erilar <erilarloFRY@SPAMchibardun.net.invalid> wrote:

> In article <070620061228549070%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca>,
> dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca wrote:
>

> > Also, since you're on dial-up, you should know that the new laptops do
> > not include a built-in modem. Apple sells an optional USB one to go
> > with them.
>
> Just for dial-up? What if I get the cable connection I've een putting
> off?

Then you have the choice of getting a WiFi base station and using
the Airport Extreme card in the MacBook (or MacBook Pro), -OR- you
can use the built-in ethernet direct to the broadband connection.

My suggestion is to get a Cable/DSL Router with out without WiFi
as you desire.

With respect to the dial up connection.  It is possible to get
some Cable/DSL Routers with modems.  Although they are not always
cheap.

There is a version of the Apple Airport Extreme base station that
includes a modem to make your dial-up internet connection.  There
are some 3rd party Cable/DSL routers that have DB9 connectors that
you can connect to a PC serial attached modem and make your
dial-up internet connection.

                                        Bob Harris
0
Bob
6/9/2006 1:29:34 AM
In article <4488ca5e$0$11172$ba624c82@nntp02.dk.telia.net>,
 Erik Richard S�rensen <NOSPAM@NOSPAM.dk> wrote:

> Hei Mary
>
> erilar wrote:
> >Erik Richard S�rensen <NOSPAM@NOSPAM.dk> wrote:
> >>But anyway... just connect the two machines with an ethernet cable. In
> >>the control panels folder on your G4 just open 'File Sharing' and turn
> >>it on. - and it should then appear on the desktop on a new PowerBook as
> >>an external disk, - and then it's just the normal drag-and-drop to copy
> >>data from the G4 to the laptop.
> >
> > What about the other direction?
>
> Yes, the ethrnet connection goes both ways. Just enable the 'File
> sharing' on the laptop as well.
>
> > Can I use the ethernet connection to go
> > through the G4 to print and scan?
>
> Scanning I'm not sure about, but printing should be available. You just
> need to enable 'Printer sharing' on the laptop -> System Preferences ->
> Print & Fax. On the OS 9.2.2 you need the control panel 'USB Printer
> Sharing'. Make the printr sharing active in this controlpanel.

Scanning should be doable by setting up OSXvnc (server) on the G4 and
Chicken of the VNC (client) on the laptop, and controlling the G4
directly that way.

It's sort of a baroque thing to do, since unless you have a multi-sheet
feeder on the scanner, you have to physically be at the G4 and scanner
to feed the scanner anyway.
0
Steve
6/9/2006 3:49:33 AM
In article <4488ca5e$0$11172$ba624c82@nntp02.dk.telia.net>, Erik
Richard S�rensen <NOSPAM@NOSPAM.dk> wrote:

> If you have a multifunction printer+scanner+copier - fx. a HP PSC model
> with software for both OS 9.x and OS X, it should even be possible to
> both print and scan from both computers. I did this with a HP PSC 1110
> on my G4 running OS X 10.3.9 and my PowerBook Pismo 500 running OS
> 9.2.2, - so why not the other way round too.:-))

 My printer is an Epson Stylus 740 and connects with the G4 via USB, but
the scanner is a ScanMaker X6,  a scanner/copier, and SCSI only.

I've also discovered that 3 of my favorite bits of software are now
available for OS X, so I'm getting closer 8-)

(The 4th is an utter antique, ClarisWorks 4. I actually bought an
upgrade for--Appleworks 6-- and I detest the upgrade so much that I
don't use it. One of these days I'm going to have to hunt down a decent
word processer that works MY way!)

--
Mary Loomer Oliver (aka Erilar),
philologist, biblioholic medievalist

http://www.airstreamcomm.net/~erilarlo

0
erilar
6/9/2006 3:37:35 PM
In article <sehix-F6EECE.20493308062006@news.isp.giganews.com>, Steve
Hix <sehix@NOSPAMspeakeasy.netINVALID> wrote:

> Scanning should be doable by setting up OSXvnc (server) on the G4 and
> Chicken of the VNC (client) on the laptop, and controlling the G4
> directly that way.

That sounds interesting.

> It's sort of a baroque thing to do, since unless you have a multi-sheet
> feeder on the scanner, you have to physically be at the G4 and scanner
> to feed the scanner anyway.

Oh, I wouldn't be far away 8-)

--
Mary Loomer Oliver (aka Erilar),
philologist, biblioholic medievalist

http://www.airstreamcomm.net/~erilarlo

0
erilar
6/9/2006 3:39:20 PM
Hei Mary

erilar wrote:
>Erik Richard S=F8rensen wrote:
>>If you have a multifunction printer+scanner+copier - fx. a HP PSC model=
=20
>>with software for both OS 9.x and OS X, it should even be possible to=20
>>both print and scan from both computers. I did this with a HP PSC 1110 =

>>on my G4 running OS X 10.3.9 and my PowerBook Pismo 500 running OS=20
>>9.2.2, - so why not the other way round too.:-))
>=20
>  My printer is an Epson Stylus 740 and connects with the G4 via USB,

- And this can be shared through printer sharing both ways G4<->laptop.

> but the scanner is a ScanMaker X6,  a scanner/copier, and SCSI only.

Well, either you need to follow Mike's setup or buy an Adaptec PCMCIA=20
SCSI adapter for the laptop. - There are OS X software for the X6.

> I've also discovered that 3 of my favorite bits of software are now=20
> available for OS X, so I'm getting closer 8-) =20
>=20
> (The 4th is an utter antique, ClarisWorks 4. I actually bought an=20
> upgrade for--Appleworks 6-- and I detest the upgrade so much that I=20
> don't use it.

The AppleWorks 6.2.9 isn't that bad at all, but the ver. 6.0.x on OS 9.x =

is really a snail. I have and use the AWKS 6.2.9DK/IE on two of my=20
machines, but I also admit that the ClarisWorks/AppleWorks 4.x and 5.x=20
are better in many ways. AWKS 6.x is carbon and runs native on OS X - a=20
great deal faster than on OS 9.x.

> One of these days I'm going to have to hunt down a decent=20
> word processer that works MY way!)

If you like the AWKS 4.x, then I think that MarinerWrite 3.7.1 will=20
suite your needs at most in text processing and the MarinerCalc 5.5 for=20
spreadsheet work.
MarinerWrite 3.7.1
http://www.marinersoftware.com/sitepage.php?page=3D12
MarinerCalc 5.5
http://www.marinersoftware.com/sitepage.php?page=3D14

An alternative for fx. MSOffice could be the NeoOffice 2.0.1, it's even=20
freeware. It is now really reliable and it now also supports .odf file=20
format (Open Document Format).
http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/en/index.php

cheers, Erik Richard

--=20
KMLDenmark by Erik Richard S=F8rensen, Member of ADC
<kmldenmark_NOSP@M_stofanet.dk>
*Music Recording, Editing & Publishing - Also Smaller Quantities
*Software - For Theological Education - And For Physically Impaired
*Nisus - The Future in Text & Mail Processing <http://www.nisus.com>

ISO
6/9/2006 9:16:50 PM
In article <erilarloFRY-F9546D.10373509062006@news.airstreamcomm.net>,
 erilar <erilarloFRY@SPAMchibardun.net.invalid> wrote:

> In article <4488ca5e$0$11172$ba624c82@nntp02.dk.telia.net>, Erik
> Richard S�rensen <NOSPAM@NOSPAM.dk> wrote:
>
> > If you have a multifunction printer+scanner+copier - fx. a HP PSC model
> > with software for both OS 9.x and OS X, it should even be possible to
> > both print and scan from both computers. I did this with a HP PSC 1110
> > on my G4 running OS X 10.3.9 and my PowerBook Pismo 500 running OS
> > 9.2.2, - so why not the other way round too.:-))
>
>  My printer is an Epson Stylus 740 and connects with the G4 via USB, but
> the scanner is a ScanMaker X6,  a scanner/copier, and SCSI only.

I still have a SCSI scanner on my G4.  It's one of the last ones that
can boot MacOS 9 and I bought an Adaptec SCSI card for $12 on eBay for
it.  At the time, it was a fast way to connect the SCSI tape drive and
scanner to the system.

All this worked OK until MacOS X 10.4 came out.  Then Retrospect would
crash when the system finished backing up to tape.  Apple and Adaptec
said they no longer support SCSI interfaces but include the driver
anyway.  The scanner still worked, so I bought a Firewire tape drive and
retired the SCSI device.  I have more tape capacity now--full backup
fits on 1 tape rather than 2 and takes half the time.

The ALL-IN-1 printers are notorious for being a big problem on MacOS X.
The HP software is a pig.  I personally would rather live with a
dedicated fax, a laser printer which used a generic Postscript driver,
and USB scanner.  It will all "just work", but that's just me.  It's
your call on how much you're willing to spend to have a working system.

> I've also discovered that 3 of my favorite bits of software are now
> available for OS X, so I'm getting closer 8-)
>
> (The 4th is an utter antique, ClarisWorks 4. I actually bought an
> upgrade for--Appleworks 6-- and I detest the upgrade so much that I
> don't use it. One of these days I'm going to have to hunt down a decent
> word processer that works MY way!)

That may be one you'll either have to give up on or write your own.
I've yet to see a modular word processor that has add-on modules.  But
it's your time and effort so have at it.

"Good luck with that."--Dr. Phil

--
DeeDee, don't press that button!  DeeDee!  NO!  Dee...

0
Michael
6/9/2006 9:25:56 PM
In article
<erilarloFRY-F9546D.10373509062006@news.airstreamcomm.net>,
 erilar <erilarloFRY@SPAMchibardun.net.invalid> wrote:

> The 4th is an utter antique, ClarisWorks 4. I actually bought an
> upgrade for--Appleworks 6-- and I detest the upgrade so much that I
> don't use it.

I don't think you are alone on this one. I still use 4 when I
need a word processor (I prefer it to Word even).

--
dorayme
0
Richard S�rensen <NOSPAM@NOSPAM.dk> wrote:

> The AppleWorks 6.2.9 isn't that bad at all, but the ver. 6.0.x on OS 9.x
> is really a snail. I have and use the AWKS 6.2.9DK/IE on two of my
> machines, but I also admit that the ClarisWorks/AppleWorks 4.x and 5.x
> are better in many ways. AWKS 6.x is carbon and runs native on OS X - a
> great deal faster than on OS 9.x.

This is AW 6.2.5 I have on the G4; I don't know what's on the disk
offhand.  What I hate about it is that it won't let me draw buttons for
my macros that I use all the time the way CW 4 did and everything to the
side of the text space is excessively large. I'm also stuck with their
oversized buttons for things I don't want or have to use those stupid
nameless F keys for my macros, which means putting pieces of tape on my
keyboard. I really only need a word processor I can import graphics
into(and manipulate a bit) and CONTROL--basically a word processor with
a modest draw program built in. I don't do spreadsheets or data bases.
Does anything like that exist?

> If you like the AWKS 4.x, then I think that MarinerWrite 3.7.1 will
> suite your needs at most in text processing

I'll have to have a look.

--
Mary Loomer Oliver (aka Erilar),
philologist, biblioholic medievalist

http://www.airstreamcomm.net/~erilarlo

0
erilar
6/10/2006 3:04:10 AM
On 2006-06-06 20:29:59 -0400, erilar
<erilarloFRY@SPAMchibardun.net.invalid> said:

> I just remembered these groups and wondered if someone here could tell
> me whether what I'd like to do is possible. (NO ONE around here knows
> anything about Macs)
>
> I have a G4 that was the top of the line in 1998. It will die one of
> these days.  It's currently running OS 9.2.2. Someone else(who now
> lives far away) installed the internal modem, SCSI for my scanner, and
> my floppy drive (so I didn't have to go through hundreds of them for
> the bits and pieces I might someday want again). I still have the
> floppies and a number of Zips, all of which this computer can read.
>
> Installing OS X on this computer strikes me as a bit short-sighted, as
> it's not exactly "young" anyway.
>
> What I'd like to do is buy a super-duper Mac laptop and learn to deal
> with OS X on that.
> HOWEVER, it would not be able to read my old media and would probably
> have a fit at the suggestion that I use my old software, to some of
> which I am unreasonably attached.(I already know 2 of the 4 come in OS
> X versions, fortunately) It would also, I'm sure, reject my scanner and
> possibly my printer as well. I'm not even sure it would be able to read
> my backup disks, which are on funny DVDs that go into the CD slot
> plastic case and all.
>
> SO here--finally-- is the question: Is there a wireless solution? If a
> new laptop could wirelessly talk to the old computer, I could gradually
> move things to the laptop's media of choice.
>
> Or is the old G4 TOO old to handle a wireless setup?

G4 in 1998??
--
Michael Weinstein         |  Never underestimate the power of
Nashua, NH                    |  stupid people in large groups.

0
Michael
6/12/2006 3:23:21 AM
In article <2006061123232116807-notreallymeNOSPAM@ixnetcomcom>, Michael
Weinstein <notreallymeNOSPAM@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> G4 in 1998??

Super secret developer unit?
0
Dave
6/12/2006 4:18:27 AM
In article
<110620062218277899%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca>,
 Dave Balderstone <dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca> wrote:

> In article <2006061123232116807-notreallymeNOSPAM@ixnetcomcom>, Michael
> Weinstein <notreallymeNOSPAM@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
> > G4 in 1998??
>
> Super secret developer unit?

My 7600 (slightly earlier) was soon a  G4 for no good reason
really, G3 would have been fine. Upgrade cpu...

--
dorayme
0
In article <2006061123232116807-notreallymeNOSPAM@ixnetcomcom>, Michael
Weinstein <notreallymeNOSPAM@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> On 2006-06-06 20:29:59 -0400, erilar
> <erilarloFRY@SPAMchibardun.net.invalid> said:

> > Or is the old G4 TOO old to handle a wireless setup?
>
> G4 in 1998??

That's when I retired. I thought that was when I bought it. It was
actually June 2000, I discovered later 8-)

--
Mary Loomer Oliver (aka Erilar),
philologist, biblioholic medievalist

http://www.airstreamcomm.net/~erilarlo

0
erilar
6/12/2006 3:18:34 PM
In article <erilarloFRY-89854C.10183412062006@news.airstreamcomm.net>,
 erilar <erilarloFRY@SPAMchibardun.net.invalid> wrote:

> In article <2006061123232116807-notreallymeNOSPAM@ixnetcomcom>, Michael
> Weinstein <notreallymeNOSPAM@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
> > On 2006-06-06 20:29:59 -0400, erilar
> > <erilarloFRY@SPAMchibardun.net.invalid> said:
>

> > > Or is the old G4 TOO old to handle a wireless setup?
> >
> > G4 in 1998??
>
> That's when I retired. I thought that was when I bought it. It was
> actually June 2000, I discovered later 8-)

Time flies when you retire and start having fun?
0
Steve
6/12/2006 10:05:25 PM
In article <sehix-E13854.15052512062006@news.isp.giganews.com>, Steve
Hix <sehix@NOSPAMspeakeasy.netINVALID> wrote:

> In article <erilarloFRY-89854C.10183412062006@news.airstreamcomm.net>,
>  erilar <erilarloFRY@SPAMchibardun.net.invalid> wrote:
>
> > In article <2006061123232116807-notreallymeNOSPAM@ixnetcomcom>, Michael
> > Weinstein <notreallymeNOSPAM@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> > > G4 in 1998??
> >
> > That's when I retired. I thought that was when I bought it. It was
> > actually June 2000, I discovered later 8-)
>
> Time flies when you retire and start having fun?

Actually, it does! I thought I'd have time for more of my hobbies and
I've had less, somehow!

--
Mary Loomer Oliver (aka Erilar),
philologist, biblioholic medievalist

http://www.airstreamcomm.net/~erilarlo

0
erilar
6/13/2006 1:38:08 AM
erilar wrote:

> In article <sehix-E13854.15052512062006@news.isp.giganews.com>, Steve
> Hix <sehix@NOSPAMspeakeasy.netINVALID> wrote:
>
> [...]
>>Time flies when you retire and start having fun?
>

> Actually, it does! I thought I'd have time for more of my hobbies and
> I've had less, somehow!

Hush now, you are about to give away one of the hidden secrets of
retirement.

--
Grandpa

What is that dripping from my fingers?
Why it looks like time.
0
Grandpa
6/13/2006 1:46:35 AM
In article <erilarloFRY-2F01D7.20380812062006@news.airstreamcomm.net>,
 erilar <erilarloFRY@SPAMchibardun.net.invalid> wrote:

> In article <sehix-E13854.15052512062006@news.isp.giganews.com>, Steve
> Hix <sehix@NOSPAMspeakeasy.netINVALID> wrote:
>
> > In article <erilarloFRY-89854C.10183412062006@news.airstreamcomm.net>,
> >  erilar <erilarloFRY@SPAMchibardun.net.invalid> wrote:

> > > That's when I retired. I thought that was when I bought it. It was
> > > actually June 2000, I discovered later 8-)
> >
> > Time flies when you retire and start having fun?
>
> Actually, it does! I thought I'd have time for more of my hobbies and
> I've had less, somehow!

This does not bode well for handweaving and learning the smallpipes...
0
Steve
6/13/2006 5:06:59 AM
In article <sehix-2CBE82.22065912062006@news.isp.giganews.com>, Steve
Hix <sehix@NOSPAMspeakeasy.netINVALID> wrote:

> In article <erilarloFRY-2F01D7.20380812062006@news.airstreamcomm.net>,
>  erilar <erilarloFRY@SPAMchibardun.net.invalid> wrote:
>
> > In article <sehix-E13854.15052512062006@news.isp.giganews.com>, Steve
> > Hix <sehix@NOSPAMspeakeasy.netINVALID> wrote:
> >
> > > In article
> > > <erilarloFRY-89854C.10183412062006@news.airstreamcomm.net>,

> > > Time flies when you retire and start having fun?
> >
> > Actually, it does! I thought I'd have time for more of my hobbies and
> > I've had less, somehow!
>
> This does not bode well for handweaving and learning the smallpipes...

Oh, drat! Two more!  No, actually, I tried tablet weaving and decided to
stick to embroidering dragons on a medieval skirt; much simpler.  And I
already have too many musical instruments for a sane person.

--
Mary Loomer Oliver (aka Erilar),
philologist, biblioholic medievalist

http://www.airstreamcomm.net/~erilarlo

0
erilar
6/13/2006 1:30:22 PM
In article <erilarloFRY-6E9367.08302213062006@news.airstreamcomm.net>,
 erilar <erilarloFRY@SPAMchibardun.net.invalid> wrote:

> In article <sehix-2CBE82.22065912062006@news.isp.giganews.com>, Steve
> Hix <sehix@NOSPAMspeakeasy.netINVALID> wrote:
>
> > In article <erilarloFRY-2F01D7.20380812062006@news.airstreamcomm.net>,
> >  erilar <erilarloFRY@SPAMchibardun.net.invalid> wrote:

> > > Actually, it does! I thought I'd have time for more of my hobbies and
> > > I've had less, somehow!
> >
> > This does not bode well for handweaving and learning the smallpipes...
>
> Oh, drat! Two more!  No, actually, I tried tablet weaving and decided to
> stick to embroidering dragons on a medieval skirt; much simpler.  And I
> already have too many musical instruments for a sane person.

I've got the tablets over...um...there. For later. The rug loom comes
first.

The pipes get to stay; they fit too well with the concertina and
hurdy-gurdy.
0
Steve
6/14/2006 4:29:45 AM
In article <sehix-4C35D8.21294413062006@news.isp.giganews.com>, Steve
Hix <sehix@NOSPAMspeakeasy.netINVALID> wrote:

> In article <erilarloFRY-6E9367.08302213062006@news.airstreamcomm.net>,
>  erilar <erilarloFRY@SPAMchibardun.net.invalid> wrote:
>
> > In article <sehix-2CBE82.22065912062006@news.isp.giganews.com>, Steve
> > Hix <sehix@NOSPAMspeakeasy.netINVALID> wrote:

> > > This does not bode well for handweaving and learning the
> > > smallpipes...
> >
> > Oh, drat! Two more!  No, actually, I tried tablet weaving and decided
> > stick to embroidering dragons on a medieval skirt; much simpler.  And I
> > already have too many musical instruments for a sane person.
>
> I've got the tablets over...um...there. For later. The rug loom comes
> first.
>
> The pipes get to stay; they fit too well with the concertina and
> hurdy-gurdy.

ooooo! a rug loom! That's another matter 8-)  Of course, I have
hand-hooked shag rugs every place I can put them already. . .

Concertina and hurdy-gurdy, too......hhmmmmmmm ...what fun!  Your sanity
is apparently as loosely attached as mine