MacJanitor or OSX 10.5.1 broken?

Anyone been able to use MacJanitor after upgrading to 10.5.1?

This is what happens when I run the weekly script

Running weekly task..

Fri Nov 16 09:20:00 CST 2007

Rebuilding locate database:
mktemp: mkdtemp failed on
/var/folders/tX/tXzBVVrh2RW2OE+87xVs6U+++TI/-Tmp-//locateWhkFRbzgHV:
Permission denied

Rebuilding whatis database:
makewhatis: /usr/share/man//usr/share/man:/usr/X11/man: No such file or
directory
makewhatis: /usr/X11/man//usr/share/man:/usr/X11/man: No such file or
directory

-- End of weekly output --
0
aRKay

I'm having the same exact problem.  Found anything on it yet?

John
0
johnhebron
1/13/2008 10:47:16 AM
In article
<bcb04cfe-4af0-487f-9900-c9ba581de047@v29g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
 johnhebron@gmail.com wrote:

> I'm having the same exact problem.  Found anything on it yet?
>
> John

Try X-Support
0
aRKay
1/13/2008 11:03:47 AM
Jerry Keller writes:
You should be using "Cocktail " It is far superior. Make sre you
download correct version for 10.5
jerry

On 2007-11-16 10:25:51 -0500, aRKay <arkayREMOVE@qsl.net> said:

> Anyone been able to use MacJanitor after upgrading to 10.5.1?
>
> This is what happens when I run the weekly script
>
> Running weekly task..
>
> Fri Nov 16 09:20:00 CST 2007
>
> Rebuilding locate database:
> mktemp: mkdtemp failed on
> /var/folders/tX/tXzBVVrh2RW2OE+87xVs6U+++TI/-Tmp-//locateWhkFRbzgHV:
> Permission denied
>
> Rebuilding whatis database:
> makewhatis: /usr/share/man//usr/share/man:/usr/X11/man: No such file or
> directory
> makewhatis: /usr/X11/man//usr/share/man:/usr/X11/man: No such file or
> directory
>
> -- End of weekly output --

0
Jerry
1/15/2008 7:23:59 PM
On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 14:23:59 -0500, Jerry Keller wrote:
> Jerry Keller writes:
> You should be using "Cocktail " It is far superior. Make sre you
> download correct version for 10.5
> jerry

> On 2007-11-16 10:25:51 -0500, aRKay <arkayREMOVE@qsl.net> said:

>> Anyone been able to use MacJanitor after upgrading to 10.5.1?
>>
>> This is what happens when I run the weekly script
>>
>> Running weekly task..
>>
>> Fri Nov 16 09:20:00 CST 2007
>>
>> Rebuilding locate database:
>> mktemp: mkdtemp failed on
>> /var/folders/tX/tXzBVVrh2RW2OE+87xVs6U+++TI/-Tmp-//locateWhkFRbzgHV:
>> Permission denied
>>
>> Rebuilding whatis database:
>> makewhatis: /usr/share/man//usr/share/man:/usr/X11/man: No such file or
>> directory
>> makewhatis: /usr/X11/man//usr/share/man:/usr/X11/man: No such file or
>> directory
>>
>> -- End of weekly output --

Are you sure you need this under Leopard?  I have been noticing that my
periodic tasks run almost instantly as soon as I open the lid of my MacBook
Pro.  This is with no third-party utilities installed -- just the standard
periodic tasks straight out of the box with 10.5.1.

--
Dave Seaman
Oral Arguments in Mumia Abu-Jamal Case heard May 17
 Dave Seaman <dseaman@no.such.host> wrote:

> Are you sure you need this under Leopard?

I ask and was told it is still necessary.  The author of MacJanitor was
going to update the program for 10.5 but it looks like that did not
happen.

I have been using Xupport v3.4.1 and it has worked great
0
aRKay
1/15/2008 8:39:54 PM
On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 14:39:54 -0600, aRKay wrote:
> In article <fmj2il$mf0$2@mailhub227.itcs.purdue.edu>,
>  Dave Seaman <dseaman@no.such.host> wrote:

>> Are you sure you need this under Leopard?

> I ask and was told it is still necessary.  The author of MacJanitor was
> going to update the program for 10.5 but it looks like that did not
> happen.

> I have been using Xupport v3.4.1 and it has worked great

Do these apps do something else besides running periodic tasks?

--
Dave Seaman
Oral Arguments in Mumia Abu-Jamal Case heard May 17
U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
<http://www.abu-jamal-news.com/>
0
Dave
1/15/2008 11:31:53 PM
In article <fmjfp9$u58$1@mailhub227.itcs.purdue.edu>,
 Dave Seaman <dseaman@no.such.host> wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 14:39:54 -0600, aRKay wrote:
> > In article <fmj2il$mf0$2@mailhub227.itcs.purdue.edu>,
> >  Dave Seaman <dseaman@no.such.host> wrote:
>
> >> Are you sure you need this under Leopard?
>
> > I ask and was told it is still necessary.  The author of MacJanitor was
> > going to update the program for 10.5 but it looks like that did not
> > happen.
>
> > I have been using Xupport v3.4.1 and it has worked great
>
> Do these apps do something else besides running periodic tasks?

Yes, but that is all I use.  Visit the web page to see what it does
0
aRKay
1/16/2008 3:48:12 AM
On 2008-01-15 21:31:53 -0200, Dave Seaman <dseaman@no.such.host> said:

> On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 14:39:54 -0600, aRKay wrote:
>> In article <fmj2il$mf0$2@mailhub227.itcs.purdue.edu>,
>> Dave Seaman <dseaman@no.such.host> wrote:
>
>>> Are you sure you need this under Leopard?
>
>> I ask and was told it is still necessary.  The author of MacJanitor was
>> going to update the program for 10.5 but it looks like that did not
>> happen.
>
>> I have been using Xupport v3.4.1 and it has worked great
>
> Do these apps do something else besides running periodic tasks?

No, that's pretty much what they do... but if you keep your mac off
often it's a nice thing to have them... at least that's what I think..

0
JP
1/16/2008 3:56:34 AM
On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 03:48:12 GMT, aRKay wrote:
> In article <fmjfp9$u58$1@mailhub227.itcs.purdue.edu>,
>  Dave Seaman <dseaman@no.such.host> wrote:

>> On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 14:39:54 -0600, aRKay wrote:

>> > I ask and was told it is still necessary.  The author of MacJanitor was
>> > going to update the program for 10.5 but it looks like that did not
>> > happen.
>>
>> > I have been using Xupport v3.4.1 and it has worked great
>>
>> Do these apps do something else besides running periodic tasks?

> Yes, but that is all I use.  Visit the web page to see what it does

If that's all you use, then you don't need it under Leopard.

--
Dave Seaman
Oral Arguments in Mumia Abu-Jamal Case heard May 17
U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
<http://www.abu-jamal-news.com/>
0
Dave
1/16/2008 1:05:44 PM
On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 01:56:34 -0200, JP Ferreira wrote:
> On 2008-01-15 21:31:53 -0200, Dave Seaman <dseaman@no.such.host> said:

>> On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 14:39:54 -0600, aRKay wrote:

>>> I ask and was told it is still necessary.  The author of MacJanitor was
>>> going to update the program for 10.5 but it looks like that did not
>>> happen.
>>
>>> I have been using Xupport v3.4.1 and it has worked great
>>
>> Do these apps do something else besides running periodic tasks?

> No, that's pretty much what they do... but if you keep your mac off
> often it's a nice thing to have them... at least that's what I think..

Does it run your periodic tasks instantly, the very moment your Mac wakes
up? If so, then the best you can say is that at least MacJanitor is doing
no harm.

--
Dave Seaman
Oral Arguments in Mumia Abu-Jamal Case heard May 17
U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
<http://www.abu-jamal-news.com/>
0
Dave
1/16/2008 1:09:51 PM
In article <fmkvf8$lov$1@mailhub227.itcs.purdue.edu>,
 Dave Seaman <dseaman@no.such.host> wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 03:48:12 GMT, aRKay wrote:
> > In article <fmjfp9$u58$1@mailhub227.itcs.purdue.edu>,
> >  Dave Seaman <dseaman@no.such.host> wrote:

> >> Do these apps do something else besides running periodic tasks?
>
> > Yes, but that is all I use.  Visit the web page to see what it does
>
> If that's all you use, then you don't need it under Leopard.

Unlike you i do not leave my computer on over night so I have to do the
maintenance tasks.  I do them when I want and xupport works great. Too
bad the old MacJanitor is broken as it used to do everything I needed.
0
aRKay
1/17/2008 3:30:34 PM
On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 15:30:34 GMT, aRKay wrote:
> In article <fmkvf8$lov$1@mailhub227.itcs.purdue.edu>,
>  Dave Seaman <dseaman@no.such.host> wrote:

>> On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 03:48:12 GMT, aRKay wrote:

>> > Yes, but that is all I use.  Visit the web page to see what it does
>>
>> If that's all you use, then you don't need it under Leopard.

> Unlike you i do not leave my computer on over night so I have to do the
> maintenance tasks.  I do them when I want and xupport works great. Too
> bad the old MacJanitor is broken as it used to do everything I needed.

Do you think there is a difference between being powered down and being
in sleep mode?  They both mean that periodic tasks can't run.  My laptops
are in sleep mode overnight, but my periodic tasks run as soon as I open
the lid the next day.  I can tell that by looking at the time stamps on
/var/log/*.out right after opening the lid.  I don't see why shutting
down would make a difference, but I haven't tried it.

--
Dave Seaman
Oral Arguments in Mumia Abu-Jamal Case heard May 17
U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
<http://www.abu-jamal-news.com/>
0
Dave
1/17/2008 4:09:09 PM
In article <fmnuj5$5m9$1@mailhub227.itcs.purdue.edu>,
 Dave Seaman <dseaman@no.such.host> wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 15:30:34 GMT, aRKay wrote:
> > In article <fmkvf8$lov$1@mailhub227.itcs.purdue.edu>,
> >  Dave Seaman <dseaman@no.such.host> wrote:

> >> If that's all you use, then you don't need it under Leopard.
>
> > Unlike you i do not leave my computer on over night so I have to do the
> > maintenance tasks.  I do them when I want and xupport works great. Too
> > bad the old MacJanitor is broken as it used to do everything I needed.
>
> Do you think there is a difference between being powered down and being
> in sleep mode?  They both mean that periodic tasks can't run.  My laptops
> are in sleep mode overnight, but my periodic tasks run as soon as I open
> the lid the next day.  I can tell that by looking at the time stamps on
> /var/log/*.out right after opening the lid.  I don't see why shutting
> down would make a difference, but I haven't tried it.

I use sleep but was not aware the scripts ran on wakeup.   Learned
something new
0
aRKay