Mail deletes old e-mails

I have tried all the fixes, checked all the settings, deleted
preferences, deleted rules, etc. etc., but my Mail (OS 10.4)
continually dletes e-mails older than 30 days.  Any ideas?  I have an
old iMac, and I don't feel like doing a full reinstall

Dennis
0
pem (3)

Dennis Pemberton <pem@nospamharperkynes.com> wrote:

> I have tried all the fixes, checked all the settings, deleted
> preferences, deleted rules, etc. etc., but my Mail (OS 10.4)
> continually dletes e-mails older than 30 days.  Any ideas?  I have an
> old iMac, and I don't feel like doing a full reinstall

Is that sent or received email? Sent email can be set to be deleted
after one month in the Accounts preference under the Mailbox Behaviors.
I don't think Mail has a setting to do the same with received messages.
If that happens, you may have installed some plugin that does that.

--
Johan W. Elzenga           johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl
Editor / Photographer     http://www.johanfoto.com
Dennis Pemberton <pem@nospamharperkynes.com> wrote:
> I have tried all the fixes, checked all the settings, deleted
> preferences, deleted rules, etc. etc., but my Mail (OS 10.4)
> continually dletes e-mails older than 30 days.  Any ideas?  I have an
> old iMac, and I don't feel like doing a full reinstall

I wonder is this perhaps in an IMAP account and it is your IMAP
server that is doing the deleting?

Otherwise, is this happening for emails you've moved to folders
or only for emails in the Inbox?

--
*--------------------------------------------------------*
| ^Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool^ |
 Dennis Pemberton <pem@nospamharperkynes.com> wrote:

> I have tried all the fixes, checked all the settings, deleted
> preferences, deleted rules, etc. etc., but my Mail (OS 10.4)
> continually dletes e-mails older than 30 days.  Any ideas?  I have an
> old iMac, and I don't feel like doing a full reinstall

Sounds like you are using an IMAP account.

With IMAP, your "inbox" is not on your computer. It's on your mail
server, and your mail server will delete messages periodically. When it
does, those messages will seem to vanish from Mail.

Create a new local folder inside Mail. When you receive email in your
inbox, drag the email to your new local folder (or create a rule to do
this automatically). That will store the messages on your computer, and
they will not vanish when they expire from the server.

--
Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

Thanks again,
Dennis