Mail hiding mail - I am confused.

hi!

I am switching (maybe?) to Apple's Mail program. I like that Spotlight
seems to have indexed some stuff I tried out there long ago having
imported it from Eudora as a test. And Mail's searching is pretty fast, too.

But...

I just watched Mail grind away importing my old Netscape/Mozilla mail.
As a test, I searched for a random word. It found a message, but when I
looked at the message body it read, in italics:

"

The message from robert a moeser <ram@XXXXtiacYYYY.net> concerning �The
measure of a cat...� has not been downloaded from the server. You need
to take this account online in order to download it.

"

Almost every message in the new import folder sez 'bout the same thing.
Curiously, an occasional message appears to have been "downloaded".

Which makes no sense. All the mail was imported from Netscape's local
copy, first of all, not on a server. And "search" found the search item
in the body of the message, so Mail obviously (?) has access to the
text, it just thinks its on a server? Not in its own data structures?

How do I get Mail to show me what I feel certainly is already "in there"?

One thing for sure is "rebuild" didn't work - it seems to have deleted
all the message in each subfolder I tried it on. I'll have to re-import
those I guess. Oh well.

--
rob

0
ram

hi!

Well, I found some Help. I am so old that I haven't realized that "Help"
can actually, er, help these days.

I'll give the recommended steps a shot, but I was amused to see that the
first thing they suggest is "rebuild", which does exactly one thing for
me - it deletes all the messages!

--
rob
0
wrote:

> hi!
>
> I am switching (maybe?) to Apple's Mail program. I like that Spotlight
> seems to have indexed some stuff I tried out there long ago having
> imported it from Eudora as a test. And Mail's searching is pretty fast, too.
>
> But...
>
> I just watched Mail grind away importing my old Netscape/Mozilla mail.
> As a test, I searched for a random word. It found a message, but when I
> looked at the message body it read, in italics:
>
> "
>
> The message from robert a moeser <ram@XXXXtiacYYYY.net> concerning �The
> measure of a cat...� has not been downloaded from the server. You need
> to take this account online in order to download it.
>
> "
>
> Almost every message in the new import folder sez 'bout the same thing.
> Curiously, an occasional message appears to have been "downloaded".
>
> Which makes no sense. All the mail was imported from Netscape's local
> copy, first of all, not on a server. And "search" found the search item
> in the body of the message, so Mail obviously (?) has access to the
> text, it just thinks its on a server? Not in its own data structures?

Are you using a POP or IMAP server?  If it's IMAP, I don't think Mail
keeps a permanent local copy of the messages, it downloads them as it
needs them.  My guess is that when Spotlight is indexing, it downloads a
temporary copy, updates the index, then deletes the temporary.  So
Spotlight can tell you that a message matches, but Mail can't show the
message unless you're online.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA
 Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> In article <GMzng.2871$Wh.1385@trnddc04>, ram <ram@XXXXtiacYYYY.net>
> wrote:
>
> > hi!
> >
> > I am switching (maybe?) to Apple's Mail program. I like that Spotlight
> > seems to have indexed some stuff I tried out there long ago having
> > imported it from Eudora as a test. And Mail's searching is pretty fast, too.
> >
> > But...
> >
> > I just watched Mail grind away importing my old Netscape/Mozilla mail.
> > As a test, I searched for a random word. It found a message, but when I
> > looked at the message body it read, in italics:
> >
> > "
> >
> > The message from robert a moeser <ram@XXXXtiacYYYY.net> concerning �The
> > measure of a cat...� has not been downloaded from the server. You need
> > to take this account online in order to download it.
> >
> > "
> >
> > Almost every message in the new import folder sez 'bout the same thing.
> > Curiously, an occasional message appears to have been "downloaded".
> >
> > Which makes no sense. All the mail was imported from Netscape's local
> > copy, first of all, not on a server. And "search" found the search item
> > in the body of the message, so Mail obviously (?) has access to the
> > text, it just thinks its on a server? Not in its own data structures?
>
> Are you using a POP or IMAP server?  If it's IMAP, I don't think Mail
> keeps a permanent local copy of the messages, it downloads them as it
> needs them.  My guess is that when Spotlight is indexing, it downloads a
> temporary copy, updates the index, then deletes the temporary.  So
> Spotlight can tell you that a message matches, but Mail can't show the
> message unless you're online.

Actually, IMAP does allow a permanent copy of each mail message to be
stored locally. The OP needs to use the mailbox synchronization feature.
0
Shawn
6/25/2006 9:25:30 PM
hi!

I am replying to myself again. Thank you for the responses, they may
help someone but in my case, I was *importing* old Netscape mail from
other files on my hard drive, so downloading was not involved!

I tried the simple fool-proof technique of doing the _same exact thing_
and expecting a different result (yes, I'll cop to insanity).

I can now see and read all my old Netscape mail in Apple Mail just like
I thought I should have from the first attempt.

If at first you don't succeed... still, I wish I knew what was going on
here.

--
rob

ram wrote:

> hi!
>
> I am switching (maybe?) to Apple's Mail program. I like that Spotlight
> seems to have indexed some stuff I tried out there long ago having
> imported it from Eudora as a test. And Mail's searching is pretty fast,
> too.
>
> But...
>
> I just watched Mail grind away importing my old Netscape/Mozilla mail.
> As a test, I searched for a random word. It found a message, but when I
> looked at the message body it read, in italics:
>
> "
>
> The message from robert a moeser <ram@XXXXtiacYYYY.net> concerning �The
> measure of a cat...� has not been downloaded from the server. You need
> to take this account online in order to download it.
>
> "
>
> Almost every message in the new import folder sez 'bout the same thing.
> Curiously, an occasional message appears to have been "downloaded".
>
> Which makes no sense. All the mail was imported from Netscape's local
> copy, first of all, not on a server. And "search" found the search item
> in the body of the message, so Mail obviously (?) has access to the
> text, it just thinks its on a server? Not in its own data structures?
>
> How do I get Mail to show me what I feel certainly is already "in there"?
>
> One thing for sure is "rebuild" didn't work - it seems to have deleted
> all the message in each subfolder I tried it on. I'll have to re-import
> those I guess. Oh well.

0
ram
6/25/2006 9:43:00 PM
I don't think the server enters into it - this is mail long since
downloaded and deleted from the server via Netscape's mail functions.

And it was Mail's search that found the email... so Spotlight isn't
really the issue - it is clear that Mail has all the text (or links to
its existence in the Netscape mail folder?) available to it - it just
won't show it to me.

--
rob