Mail - Junk mail change

Is this happening to anyone else?  Within the last week, Mail is
suddenly dumping a LOT of messages into the Junk Mail folder.
Do you know why this might be happening?  Messages are
going there that have previously gone to my Inbox.
Just curious.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella

In article <barbschaller-277DF8.23293225102010@news.iphouse.com>,
 Melba's Jammin' <barbschaller@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Is this happening to anyone else?  Within the last week, Mail is
> suddenly dumping a LOT of messages into the Junk Mail folder.
> Do you know why this might be happening?  Messages are
> going there that have previously gone to my Inbox.
> Just curious.

Either you changed your Mail program from Junk Training mode or the ISP
of those emails got flagged as a junk mail source.  So all emails from
that ISP are now considered junk.  I don't know how to undo that except
one at a time.

--
DeeDee, don't press that button!  DeeDee!  NO!  Dee...

Michael
10/26/2010 5:58:43 AM
Melba's Jammin' <barbschaller@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Is this happening to anyone else?  Within the last week, Mail is
> suddenly dumping a LOT of messages into the Junk Mail folder.
> Do you know why this might be happening?  Messages are
> going there that have previously gone to my Inbox.
> Just curious.

I don't know what kind of filter you might have, but I forward junk to
my ISPs spam and over time the junk has decreased, as more and more goes
directly there. I was informed long ago that this increases the
efficiency of the filter program.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist
0
In article <barbschaller-277DF8.23293225102010@news.iphouse.com>,
 Melba's Jammin' <barbschaller@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Is this happening to anyone else?  Within the last week, Mail is
> suddenly dumping a LOT of messages into the Junk Mail folder.
> Do you know why this might be happening?  Messages are
> going there that have previously gone to my Inbox.
> Just curious.

Well, does the email look spammy?  And not just the parts you normally
see, but all the headers?  It's possibly your ISP runs something like
SpamAssassin, and changes to their filtering is being picked up by Mail.
Without some examples, it's hard to say exactly what the cause may be.

--
iPhone apps that matter:    http://appstore.subsume.com/
My personal UDP list: 127.0.0.1, localhost, googlegroups.com, astraweb.com,
 Doc O'Leary <droleary.usenet@4q2010.subsume.com> wrote:

> In article <barbschaller-277DF8.23293225102010@news.iphouse.com>,
>  Melba's Jammin' <barbschaller@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > Is this happening to anyone else?  Within the last week, Mail is
> > suddenly dumping a LOT of messages into the Junk Mail folder.
> > Do you know why this might be happening?  Messages are
> > going there that have previously gone to my Inbox.
> > Just curious.
>
> Well, does the email look spammy?  And not just the parts you normally
> see, but all the headers?  It's possibly your ISP runs something like
> SpamAssassin, and changes to their filtering is being picked up by Mail.
> Without some examples, it's hard to say exactly what the cause may be.

Hi, Doc - they're the same messages (ads/promos) from Lands' End,
Kohl's, Coldwater Creek, and Macy's that I was receiving in my Inbox two
weeks ago.

--
Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina of Jella
"Always in a jam, never in a stew; sometimes in a pickle."
A few pics from the Fair are here:
http://gallery.me.com/barbschaller#100254
0
Melba
10/28/2010 4:57:30 AM
In article <barbschaller-78902C.23573027102010@news.iphouse.com>,
 Melba's Jammin' <barbschaller@earthlink.net> wrote:

> In article
> <droleary.usenet-EA19D2.13470826102010@mx01.eternal-september.org>,
>  Doc O'Leary <droleary.usenet@4q2010.subsume.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <barbschaller-277DF8.23293225102010@news.iphouse.com>,
> >  Melba's Jammin' <barbschaller@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Is this happening to anyone else?  Within the last week, Mail is
> > > suddenly dumping a LOT of messages into the Junk Mail folder.
> > > Do you know why this might be happening?  Messages are
> > > going there that have previously gone to my Inbox.
> > > Just curious.
> >
> > Well, does the email look spammy?  And not just the parts you normally
> > see, but all the headers?  It's possibly your ISP runs something like
> > SpamAssassin, and changes to their filtering is being picked up by Mail.
> > Without some examples, it's hard to say exactly what the cause may be.
>
> Hi, Doc - they're the same messages (ads/promos) from Lands' End,
> Kohl's, Coldwater Creek, and Macy's that I was receiving in my Inbox two
> weeks ago.

That would certainly seem to classify as something that *would* be spam,
if you hadn't signed up to receive it.  It's possible that there was
something changed in the content that made it look worse than usual in
the eyes of Mail, or the sheer number finally hit a threshold to trigger
it being marked as junk.

Usually just marking it as Not Junk a time or two is enough to get Mail
to accept it again.  You might want to check the headers still, just in
case your ISP is adding tags that really should be considered spam.

The other, perhaps better solution is to whitelist the sender by putting
their email in your address book.  Double check that your Junk Mail
preferences in Mail ignores people in your address book, and you should
be set.

--
iPhone apps that matter:    http://appstore.subsume.com/
My personal UDP list: 127.0.0.1, localhost, googlegroups.com, astraweb.com,
    and probably your server, too.
0
Doc
10/28/2010 7:50:37 PM
Melba's Jammin' <barbschaller@earthlink.net> wrote:

> In article
> <droleary.usenet-EA19D2.13470826102010@mx01.eternal-september.org>,
>  Doc O'Leary <droleary.usenet@4q2010.subsume.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <barbschaller-277DF8.23293225102010@news.iphouse.com>,
> >  Melba's Jammin' <barbschaller@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Is this happening to anyone else?  Within the last week, Mail is
> > > suddenly dumping a LOT of messages into the Junk Mail folder.
> > > Do you know why this might be happening?  Messages are
> > > going there that have previously gone to my Inbox.
> > > Just curious.
> >
> > Well, does the email look spammy?  And not just the parts you normally
> > see, but all the headers?  It's possibly your ISP runs something like
> > SpamAssassin, and changes to their filtering is being picked up by Mail.
> > Without some examples, it's hard to say exactly what the cause may be.
>
> Hi, Doc - they're the same messages (ads/promos) from Lands' End,
> Kohl's, Coldwater Creek, and Macy's that I was receiving in my Inbox two
> weeks ago.

Yeah, that sounds like your ISP has started marking them via header as
spam.

On a related note, I find using Google Apps (allows me to use my own
domain) as my email host, or simply routing email through a Gmail
account gets rid of 99.9% of spam. So much so, I don't even bother with
a local spam filter nowadays.
jamiekg
10/29/2010 1:15:52 AM
In article <1jr4nec.3pcsc317su41tN%jamiekg@wizardling.geek.nz>,
 jamiekg@wizardling.geek.nz (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' <barbschaller@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > In article
> > <droleary.usenet-EA19D2.13470826102010@mx01.eternal-september.org>,
> >  Doc O'Leary <droleary.usenet@4q2010.subsume.com> wrote:

> > > Well, does the email look spammy?  And not just the parts you normally
> > > see, but all the headers?  It's possibly your ISP runs something like
> > > SpamAssassin, and changes to their filtering is being picked up by Mail.
> > > Without some examples, it's hard to say exactly what the cause may be.
> >
> > Hi, Doc - they're the same messages (ads/promos) from Lands' End,
> > Kohl's, Coldwater Creek, and Macy's that I was receiving in my Inbox two
> > weeks ago.
>
> Yeah, that sounds like your ISP has started marking them via header as
> spam.

That should be easy enough to check -- look at the headers to see if
there are spam scores.

Anyway, if he marks the messages as "not spam", Mail.app should soon
learn not to put them in the spam folder.

> On a related note, I find using Google Apps (allows me to use my own
> domain) as my email host, or simply routing email through a Gmail
> account gets rid of 99.9% of spam. So much so, I don't even bother with
> a local spam filter nowadays.

Isn't that ironic, since Google Groups is the source of so much Usenet
spam?

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA
Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> In article <1jr4nec.3pcsc317su41tN%jamiekg@wizardling.geek.nz>,
>  jamiekg@wizardling.geek.nz (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote:
>
> > Melba's Jammin' <barbschaller@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >
> > > In article
> > > <droleary.usenet-EA19D2.13470826102010@mx01.eternal-september.org>,

> > > Hi, Doc - they're the same messages (ads/promos) from Lands' End,
> > > Kohl's, Coldwater Creek, and Macy's that I was receiving in my Inbox two
> > > weeks ago.
> >
> > Yeah, that sounds like your ISP has started marking them via header as
> > spam.
>
> That should be easy enough to check -- look at the headers to see if
> there are spam scores.
>
> Anyway, if he marks the messages as "not spam", Mail.app should soon
> learn not to put them in the spam folder.
>
> > On a related note, I find using Google Apps (allows me to use my own
> > domain) as my email host, or simply routing email through a Gmail
> > account gets rid of 99.9% of spam. So much so, I don't even bother with
> > a local spam filter nowadays.
>
> Isn't that ironic, since Google Groups is the source of so much Usenet
> spam?

Shame they don't apply the same filter to new posts, eh? :-D Oh well...
jamiekg