f



Mail question- How do I get RID of the red message count??!

There must be some simple way to tweak my system, whether it is
through a script or terminal or whatever- to get rid of the BIG red
number, displaying the number of messages in my mailboxes, on my Mail
dock icon.  I can=CA=BBt figure out how.  I find the huge display annoying
and redundant.  And I have a cool icon there that is completely
blocked out because of the size of the thing.

Obviously not a life-threatening emergency, but....  anyone who has a
way to do this, please write back!

Thank you!!!

0
8/19/2007 10:09:48 AM
comp.sys.mac.apps 21416 articles. 3 followers. xxx613 (1334) is leader. Post Follow

3 Replies
292 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 45

In article <1187518188.584485.121850@r29g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
 wildgeese <the.wild.geese@gmail.com> wrote:

> There must be some simple way to tweak my system, whether it is
> through a script or terminal or whatever- to get rid of the BIG red
> number, displaying the number of messages in my mailboxes, on my Mail
> dock icon.  I can‘t figure out how.  I find the huge display annoying
> and redundant.  And I have a cool icon there that is completely
> blocked out because of the size of the thing.
> 
> Obviously not a life-threatening emergency, but....  anyone who has a
> way to do this, please write back!
> 
> Thank you!!!

That number is a count of the unread messages in (the union of) your 
inbox(es). It's meant to be a convenient alert that you've got stuff you 
haven't looked at yet. The way to eliminate it is to read the mail 
and/or move it from the inbox to a different mailbox, perhaps via a rule 
executed when the mail is received.
0
Gregory
8/19/2007 11:53:36 AM
On 2007-08-19 12:53:36 +0100, Gregory Weston <uce@splook.com> said:

> In article <1187518188.584485.121850@r29g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
>  wildgeese <the.wild.geese@gmail.com> wrote:
> 
>> There must be some simple way to tweak my system, whether it is
>> through a script or terminal or whatever- to get rid of the BIG red
>> number, displaying the number of messages in my mailboxes, on my Mail
>> dock icon.  I can‘t figure out how.  I find the huge display annoying
>> and redundant.  And I have a cool icon there that is completely
>> blocked out because of the size of the thing.
>> 
>> Obviously not a life-threatening emergency, but....  anyone who has a
>> way to do this, please write back!
>> 
>> Thank you!!!
> 
> That number is a count of the unread messages in (the union of) your
> inbox(es). It's meant to be a convenient alert that you've got stuff you
> haven't looked at yet. The way to eliminate it is to read the mail
> and/or move it from the inbox to a different mailbox, perhaps via a rule
> executed when the mail is received.

Alternatively there are some Mail.app enhancers (some free, some not) 
that will modify how the number gets drawn over the icon, including not 
at all. The list over at <http://www.hawkwings.net/plugins.htm> looks 
comprehensive :-)

Cheers,

Chris

0
Chris
8/19/2007 12:12:43 PM
wildgeese wrote:
> I find the huge display annoying
> and redundant.  And I have a cool icon there that is completely
> blocked out because of the size of the thing.

"Completely blocked out"?  The unread count takes up a tiny corner of 
the icon on my dock...
0
Calum
8/19/2007 3:45:43 PM
Reply: