At work I have a Wallstreet with Jaguar connected to a DSL line.  Up
until a  couple days ago I have been able to use my personal ISP smtp
address to send and receive mail.  This is not the same company as the
DSL provider.  A couple days ago I was able to receive posts but not
send them.  I tried repairing permissions, and trashing the Mail prefs.
  Finally I emailed my ISP and the response was that I have to use the
DSL carrier's smtp address.  Yet, I've been using my personal ISP's smtp
address for about a year.

At home I use a dialup with the ISP and everything works fine.

Is there something that could be corrupt here?  Or, is it that the ISP
is blocking outgoing mail?

I also have a .Mac account, but cannot send out through it either - yet
can receive mail.

TIA for an light to be shed on this.

Diana

In article <vtihov5jak3o3e@corp.supernews.com>, D Oakley
<don'tcallme@iwillcall.you> wrote:

> A couple days ago I was able to receive [e-mails] but not
> send them.  I tried repairing permissions, and trashing the Mail prefs.
>   Finally I emailed my ISP and the response was that I have to use the
> DSL carrier's smtp address.  Yet, I've been using my personal ISP's smtp
> address for about a year.
> Is there something that could be corrupt here?  Or, is it that the ISP
> is blocking outgoing mail?

Yes, that's exactly what they're doing.  They've changed their servers
to block access to any SMTP (outgoing mail) servers but theirs.  This
is unfortunately a spam-prevention measure that many ISPs do, including
mine.

Not really a big deal, though; nobody I send e-mail to notices anything
different, and my inbound mail still goes to the proper place.  And it
makes sense to use a local SMTP server anyway to reduce net congestion.

Just go to Mail->Preferences->Accounts, make sure you're viewing
Account Information, and choose "Add server..." from the SMTP pop-up
near the bottom.  Just add their server's name (I'm sure they gave it
to you in the e-mail), select it, and you're on your way.  Your
outbound mail should all get sent out at that point.

If you switch to dial-up on the road with a laptop, you can just edit
that account and select your dial-up's SMTP server as necessary.

> At home I use a dialup with the ISP and everything works fine.

They're probably not blocking that port as your DSL provider is.

Hope that helps.

--
Garner R. Miller
Manchester, CT =USA=
>Is there something that could be corrupt here?  Or, is it that the ISP
>is blocking outgoing mail?

The ISP has configured their email servers to block outgoing mail from anyone
not connected directly to them. his is now standard in the industry; I'm
surprised it's taken them this long to do it.

Your POP server should be configured to point to your ISP's POP servers. Your
SMTP server should be set to the address of your *DSL provider* SMTP server.

--
Rude T-shirts for a rude age: http://www.villaintees.com
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

0
tacitr
12/12/2003 2:57:12 PM
In article <111220032351294622%garner@netstreet.net>,
 Garner Miller <garner@netstreet.net> wrote:

> In article <vtihov5jak3o3e@corp.supernews.com>, D Oakley
> <don'tcallme@iwillcall.you> wrote:
>
> > A couple days ago I was able to receive [e-mails] but not
> > send them.  I tried repairing permissions, and trashing the Mail prefs.
> >   Finally I emailed my ISP and the response was that I have to use the
> > DSL carrier's smtp address.  Yet, I've been using my personal ISP's smtp
> > address for about a year.
> > Is there something that could be corrupt here?  Or, is it that the ISP
> > is blocking outgoing mail?
>
> Yes, that's exactly what they're doing.  They've changed their servers
> to block access to any SMTP (outgoing mail) servers but theirs.  This
> is unfortunately a spam-prevention measure that many ISPs do, including
> mine.
>
> Not really a big deal, though; nobody I send e-mail to notices anything
> different, and my inbound mail still goes to the proper place.  And it
> makes sense to use a local SMTP server anyway to reduce net congestion.
>
> Just go to Mail->Preferences->Accounts, make sure you're viewing
> Account Information, and choose "Add server..." from the SMTP pop-up
> near the bottom.  Just add their server's name (I'm sure they gave it
> to you in the e-mail), select it, and you're on your way.  Your
> outbound mail should all get sent out at that point.
>
> If you switch to dial-up on the road with a laptop, you can just edit
> that account and select your dial-up's SMTP server as necessary.
>

> > At home I use a dialup with the ISP and everything works fine.
>
> They're probably not blocking that port as your DSL provider is.
>

> Hope that helps.

This may not be the original poster's problem.

I have two Macs at home, and my main mail account is through a service
that has nothing to do with my ISP.

I can send and receive mail through the mail server, and the ISP does
not block.

When I access my .mac account through the PowerBook (10.2.8), I can send
and receive. When I access the same account through the Cube (10.3.1),
it can receive but it will not send.

I haven't yet been able to figure out the source of the problem, and the
error message is only the very useful "mail could not be sent" or some
such.

--
I don't speak for my company and it doesn't speak for me.
0