mail.app convert e-mail to PDF

Mac OS 10.3.9
Mail 1.3.11

Occasionally I receive HTML e-mail that I wish to convert to a PDF file.
  I select the email with mail.app
  file:print
  click on Save as PDF
This works except for a couple of glitches.

First, the conversion process copies the thumbnail image representing my
user account over into the PDF file. This image is not part of the
e-mail I received and I don't want it to appear. How can I suppress it?

Second, clickable links in the e-mail are converted into unclickable
text in the PDF. I suppose this is due to the fact that Preview doesn't
know how to convert them and that I would need the Acrobat application
(free Acrobat Reader wouldn't work?) to do the conversion from HTML
e-mail to PDF. If that's true, and I had the Acrobat application, then
how would I make the Save as PDF button use the Acrobat application
instead of Preview? I know about the "Open With" trick in the Get Info
box but doesn't seem like it would apply in this case since I need to
"remap" a button's action in a printer driver dialogue box.

TIA Eric

0
Sandstone

In article <45FC7B23.6000502@infowest.com>,
 Sandstone <spambucket@infowest.com> wrote:

> Mac OS 10.3.9
> Mail 1.3.11
>
> Occasionally I receive HTML e-mail that I wish to convert to a PDF file.
>   I select the email with mail.app
>   file:print
>   click on Save as PDF
> This works except for a couple of glitches.
>
> First, the conversion process copies the thumbnail image representing my
> user account over into the PDF file. This image is not part of the
> e-mail I received and I don't want it to appear. How can I suppress it?

One option is to switch your view to "raw source" before printing. If
you're really interested in the printout representing
_what_you_received_, that's the way to go. It'll suppress the image as
well as any other formatting that Mail introduces. Additionally, it'll
show you all parts of multi-part messages, which could be useful in case
there's a discrepancy among them.

> Second, clickable links in the e-mail are converted into unclickable
> text in the PDF. I suppose this is due to the fact that Preview doesn't
> know how to convert them and that I would need the Acrobat application
> (free Acrobat Reader wouldn't work?) to do the conversion from HTML
> e-mail to PDF. If that's true, and I had the Acrobat application, then
> how would I make the Save as PDF button use the Acrobat application
> instead of Preview?

Preview is just the way the OS shows you a preview of something that's
about to be printed. It's not the system facility that allows you to
"print" to a PDF file. And the reason you don't get functional links is
that the app doesn't know it's printing to a PDF. It's printing to a
printer and so it's sending what a printed document will show. The fact
that the specific printer driver involved is generating a PDF file is
completely behind the scenes.

So the answer is, you really wouldn't use the Save As PDF button to
print to directly to Acrobat as a PDF authoring tool. Presumably you'd
create your PDF file as usual and then use Acrobat to add to it the
clickable links and any other features aren't part of a normal "print"
process.
0
Gregory
3/18/2007 1:25:37 AM
Gregory Weston wrote:
> In article <45FC7B23.6000502@infowest.com>,
>  Sandstone <spambucket@infowest.com> wrote:
>

>>Mac OS 10.3.9
>>Mail 1.3.11
>>
>>Occasionally I receive HTML e-mail that I wish to convert to a PDF file.
>>  I select the email with mail.app
>>  file:print
>>  click on Save as PDF
>>This works except for a couple of glitches.
>>
>>First, the conversion process copies the thumbnail image representing my
>>user account over into the PDF file. This image is not part of the
>>e-mail I received and I don't want it to appear. How can I suppress it?
>

> One option is to switch your view to "raw source" before printing. If
> you're really interested in the printout representing
> _what_you_received_, that's the way to go. It'll suppress the image as
> well as any other formatting that Mail introduces. Additionally, it'll
> show you all parts of multi-part messages, which could be useful in case
> there's a discrepancy among them.

Thanks, I'll give this a try. Never would have thought of it myself.

>>Second, clickable links in the e-mail are converted into unclickable
>>text in the PDF. I suppose this is due to the fact that Preview doesn't
>>know how to convert them and that I would need the Acrobat application
>>(free Acrobat Reader wouldn't work?) to do the conversion from HTML
>>e-mail to PDF. If that's true, and I had the Acrobat application, then
>>how would I make the Save as PDF button use the Acrobat application
>>instead of Preview?
>

> Preview is just the way the OS shows you a preview of something that's
> about to be printed. It's not the system facility that allows you to
> "print" to a PDF file. And the reason you don't get functional links is
> that the app doesn't know it's printing to a PDF. It's printing to a
> printer and so it's sending what a printed document will show. The fact
> that the specific printer driver involved is generating a PDF file is
> completely behind the scenes.
>
> So the answer is, you really wouldn't use the Save As PDF button to
> print to directly to Acrobat as a PDF authoring tool. Presumably you'd
> create your PDF file as usual and then use Acrobat to add to it the
> clickable links and any other features aren't part of a normal "print"
> process.

This behind the scenes look helps a lot. I get it now.

0
Sandstone

Mail and imported mail in mail app

Mail.app vaporized my e-mail!
The strangest thing just happened, help! I opened up Mail, and all the messages on my inbox (several dozen of them, some dating back 7 months) were all marked as unread. Not a big problem. BUT, everything dated between August 18 2003 and today (October 13, 2003) has completely vanished. I had some VERY important e-mails in there. I tried looking in ~/Library/Mail, and there doesn't seem to be any way to recover them by messing around in there. Is there any way to get them back??? Thanks G In article <Gqtib.9039$x97.2472@clgrps13>, nospam@spam.sucks.it (Gavin) wrote: &...

Duplicate e-mails in Mail app
I've just imported 2 years of e-mails from Eudora into Mail. There are numerous duplicates present. Is there an easy way of erasing the dupes? -- He spoke with a certain what-is-it in his voice, and I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. P.G. Wodehouse 1881 -1975 ...

Looking for an e-mail app that can send e-mail in html format
A friend of mind wants me to send e-mail to him in html format. Are there any e-mail apps that can do this? -- Regards Brian In article <1146085981391782115.254092bclark-es.co.nz@free.teranews.com>, Brian <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote: > A friend of mind wants me to send e-mail to him in html format. Are there > any e-mail apps that can do this? Almost all of them, but there really isn't any need to do so. Keep sending mail in plain ASCII. -- All usenet users are quirky, but some are more quirky than others. Michelle Steiner <michelle@michelle.org&...

Can I recall an e-mail in the Mail app?
Or is there any add-on software that will allow me to do this? "nickravo" <nickravo@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1127946778.893661.88440@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Or is there any add-on software that will allow me to do this? > No. Once a message has left your machine and passed through an SMTP server it's gone for good. Messaging systems like MS Exchange allow you to recall but that is only possible within an Exchange or other similar environment. Greg G.T. <getnews1@dslextreme.com> wrote: > Messaging systems like MS Exchange allow yo...

Mac mail app problems sending mail??
Sometimes when I send email I get an error message stating it will remain in outbox blah, blah, blah. It also says "Verify that you have addressed this message correctly. Check you SMTP server settings in Mail Preferences and verify and advanced settings with your system administrator." Now... when I go to Mail> Preferences> Accounts, I change the server settings and set authentication to Password. Once I enter password and whatnot, the mail gets sent. Sounds like the problems fixed but......... In a few more days, I get the error message again. This time I set the authenticati...

Limit e-Mail size in Mail.app?
Is there any way I can put a maximum size of incoming e-mail my copy of Mail.app [Version 2.1 (752/752.2)] will accept? TIA -- Bob Batson rcb@kc.rr.com "Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines" In article <rcb-F02083.18152622072006@news-rdr-03.rdc-kc.rr.com>, Bob Batson <rcb@kc.rr.com> wrote: > Is there any way I can put a maximum size of incoming e-mail my copy of > Mail.app [Version 2.1 (752/752.2)] will accept? > > TIA Doing a search in Mail's Help for "message size" found this article: Skipping retrieval...

Mac mail.app to iPod touch mail transfer
Running a MacBook with 10.6.5 and a 3rd gen iPod touch with 4.2.1. Without getting into long explanations, I cannot have wifi in my house, and it would be most convenient to write my emails on my Mac, transfer them to my iPod, and send them out from a public hot spot in town. I have been doing this by writing the mails in mail.app>notes, syncing the ipod, then copy and pasting from ipod notes to ipod mail. I have airsharing and goodreader and probably could use them also. But is there a more convenient way like an app at the iTunes store that would directly transfer from mail/Ma...

Mail.app Mailing List?
Does the OS X mail.app have a mailing list about and if so, where can I find it?? -- Bob Batson rcb@kc.rr.com "Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines" Bob Batson wrote: > Does the OS X mail.app have a mailing list about and if so, where can I > find it?? > Not sure if it's what your asking, but the Address Book application allows you to create mailing lists, and there's lots of information in the Address Book Help file. Once you've created the list, you can select it and use it in the Mail application. In article <rcYye...

Mail Merge to Mail.app?
I can do mail merge with MS Word/Entourage, but I haven't yet found a way to merge to mail.app. Is there a way to do mail merge to mail.app? In article <vikr-819ADF.13453731102006@news.west.earthlink.net>, Vik Rubenfeld <vikr@mindspring.com.invalid> wrote: > I can do mail merge with MS Word/Entourage, but I haven't yet found a > way to merge to mail.app. > > Is there a way to do mail merge to mail.app? Probably with an Applescript. -- Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Impeach the son of a Bush. ...

Vacation mail with mail.app
Here is a script I wrote for vacation notices; it will send the notice only once to each person you receive mail from. I suggest running it after any rules to file mailing list items into folders, so that it doesn't send vacation mail notices to the lists. The actual notice is sent by the rule; the script is what keeps the rule from sending more than one notice to any given address. First set up an address-book group named "Vacation" Then set up a rule with the criterion "If sender is not a member of group Vacation" Set up the actions Reply to Message Run App...

Mail.app
I lost some mail today. I had dragged a couple of folders to a new location. When I looked in the folders, it appeared the mail was there but everything was empty. I tried rebuilding the folders and the headers disappeared as well. At that point I was pretty desperate. Most of the mail was from today and would not be on my backup. I restarted the computer and rebuilt the folders again. Low-and-behold, most of the mail came back but not all of it and I am still missing a couple of items I can not afford to lose. So, what did I do, so I can avoid doing it again? How can ...

Dupe Mail in Mail.app
For a couple of months now, almost every email I get arrives in groups of two. Identical email. Any idea why this might be? -- Thank you and have a nice day. In article <2007010216231775249-xxx@yyyzzz>, gtr <xxx@yyy.zzz> wrote: > For a couple of months now, almost every email I get arrives in groups > of two. Identical email. > > Any idea why this might be? Might be an ISP issue. Contact your ISP for assistance. In article <2007010216231775249-xxx@yyyzzz>, gtr <xxx@yyy.zzz> wrote: > For a couple of months now, almost every email I get arrives...

importing mail from Mail.app?
5.2.1 paid OSX 10.2.6 iMac 800 flat-screen OK, now that I've finally switched back to Eudora from Mail.app, can anyone suggest a painless way to import all that email I've accumulated in Mail over into Eudora? The Eudora manual only discusses Outlook Express, and my Googling has proved fruitless, as has searching thru the postings in this group. I seem to remember a nifty program to take mail in the other direction! Thanks again, rudi overit <baying@themoon.com> wrote: > 5.2.1 paid > OSX 10.2.6 > iMac 800 flat-screen > > OK, now that...

Web resources about - mail.app convert e-mail to PDF - comp.sys.mac.apps

List of converts to Buddhism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Minority Ahmadiyah Muslim group in Indonesia told: convert or be expelled
A minority Muslim group has been ordered to convert to Sunni Islam or be expelled from Bangka island, off the coast of Sumatra, in the latest ...

Convert your images quickly and easily with PDF Photos
Have you ever wanted an easy way to convert images to a PDF? Maybe you want to include them in a document for work, send them via email at a ...

Ford patents rear wheel that converts into a unicycle
Filed under: Government/Legal , Green , Ford , Green Driving , Motorcycle , Electric Ford is thinking about allowing drivers to remove a rear ...

How to convert your old VHS tapes to DVD with this software
Remember those old VHS tapes you have sitting in the corner? Convert them into DVDs with this affordable software so you can easily watch them ...