Mail.app deletes mail when deleting account

In Mail.app, in Preferences, in the Accounts panel, there is a list of
accounts.  I had a POP account there I no longer in use.  I used the
Remove button to delete the old account.

But I didn't mean for it to delete all mail that had been recieved
earlier into that email address.  Yet that seems to be what happened.
At least I can't find the mail anywhere in any of my mailboxes or in
my_home/Library/Mail.  There were a number of messages organized into
various folders.  Now they are gone.  These mail messages were not
sitting on a server, they were on my Mac.

Is Mail supposed to do this?

--
Jim Jennings, Research Scientist, Bureau of Economic Geology
The University of Texas at Austin

In article <150920031650420467%no@spam.invalid>,
 Jim Jennings <no@spam.invalid> wrote:

> Is Mail supposed to do this?

Yes, annoying isn't it? In fairness, it does warn you when you click
"remove".
0
David
9/15/2003 11:15:42 PM
In article <150920031650420467%no@spam.invalid>,
 Jim Jennings <no@spam.invalid> wrote:

> But I didn't mean for it to delete all mail that had been recieved
> earlier into that email address.  Yet that seems to be what happened.
> At least I can't find the mail anywhere in any of my mailboxes or in
> my_home/Library/Mail.  There were a number of messages organized into
> various folders.  Now they are gone.  These mail messages were not
> sitting on a server, they were on my Mac.
>
> Is Mail supposed to do this?

Yes, it was designed to do that. You neglected to mention that you were
offered a warning that that was about to happen and you told the program
to proceed.

Meow
0
Cat
9/16/2003 1:23:32 AM
In article <meow-B8FA27.11233216092003@otis.netspace.net.au>, Cat
<meow@purring.cat> wrote:

> In article <150920031650420467%no@spam.invalid>,
>  Jim Jennings <no@spam.invalid> wrote:
>
> > But I didn't mean for it to delete all mail that had been recieved
> > earlier into that email address.  Yet that seems to be what happened.
> > At least I can't find the mail anywhere in any of my mailboxes or in
> > my_home/Library/Mail.  There were a number of messages organized into
> > various folders.  Now they are gone.  These mail messages were not
> > sitting on a server, they were on my Mac.
> >
> > Is Mail supposed to do this?
>
> Yes, it was designed to do that. You neglected to mention that you were
> offered a warning that that was about to happen and you told the program
> to proceed.

It's not nice to make people feel dumb in public :-(

I don't remember a warning or pushing a proceed button, or I never
would have posted my question.  But, I have no doubt you are correct.
I must have been in some sort of Sunday afternon brain-dead
auto-pilot...

--
Jim Jennings, Bureau of Economic Geology
The University of Texas at Austin
reply to jim dot jennings at beg dot utexas dot edu
0
Jim
9/16/2003 1:58:36 PM
In article <160920030858363162%no@spam.invalid>,
 Jim Jennings <no@spam.invalid> wrote:

> It's not nice to make people feel dumb in public :-(

Then stay home!

--
Enough <enough@idontcare.com>
0
In article <160920030858363162%no@spam.invalid>,
 Jim Jennings <no@spam.invalid> wrote:

> I must have been in some sort of Sunday afternon brain-dead
> auto-pilot...
>
> --
> Jim Jennings, Bureau of Economic Geology
> The University of Texas at Austin

Anyone see a connection?

--
Enough <enough@idontcare.com>
0
Enough
9/16/2003 2:19:03 PM
On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 8:19:03 -0600, Enough wrote
(in message <rZE9b.57463$875.2462382@twister.tampabay.rr.com>):

> In article <160920030858363162%no@spam.invalid>,
>  Jim Jennings <no@spam.invalid> wrote:
>
>> I must have been in some sort of Sunday afternon brain-dead
>> auto-pilot...
>>
>> --
>> Jim Jennings, Bureau of Economic Geology
>> The University of Texas at Austin
>
> Anyone see a connection?

I see a connection between Enough and a pompous ass.

--

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils. - Hector
Berlioz

0
Chris