Mail.app on a Different Mac

Hi,

Which files do I have to move for a user moving from one Mac to another
so that he can continue to see his mail archives?

--
Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Bolen Books.
Dale Friesen, Sysadmin

dfriesen@amtsgi.bc.ca (Dale Friesen) writes:

> Which files do I have to move for a user moving from one Mac to another
> so that he can continue to see his mail archives?

I can't tell you details for Mail.app off the top of my
head, but I do want to make a suggestion to you for the
future - use an IMAP based mail system and all your mail
lives on the server, not on the local computer - then
there is *nothing* to move - you just crank up Mail.app
(or any other mail program!), point it at your accout on
the server and viola - all your mail is already there.

--
Plain Bread alone for e-mail, thanks.  The rest gets trashed.
No HTML in E-Mail! --    http://www.expita.com/nomime.html
 dfriesen@amtsgi.bc.ca (Dale Friesen) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Which files do I have to move for a user moving from one Mac to another
> so that he can continue to see his mail archives?
>
> --
> Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Bolen Books.
> Dale Friesen, Sysadmin
> Bolen Books, Inc  Victoria, BC Canada
> root@bolen.bc.ca    http://www.bolen.bc.ca

~Home(or User)/Library/Mail folder.
0
Poof
5/27/2005 6:44:43 PM
<BreadWithSpam@fractious.net> wrote:

> dfriesen@amtsgi.bc.ca (Dale Friesen) writes:
>
> > Which files do I have to move for a user moving from one Mac to another
> > so that he can continue to see his mail archives?
>
> I can't tell you details for Mail.app off the top of my
> head, but I do want to make a suggestion to you for the
> future - use an IMAP based mail system and all your mail
> lives on the server, not on the local computer - then
> there is *nothing* to move - you just crank up Mail.app
> (or any other mail program!), point it at your accout on
> the server and viola - all your mail is already there.

Interesting thought. I'll look into that. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

--
Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Bolen Books.
Dale Friesen, Sysadmin
Bolen Books, Inc  Victoria, BC Canada
root@bolen.bc.ca    http://www.bolen.bc.ca
0
dfriesen
5/27/2005 8:02:08 PM
Dale Friesen <dfriesen@amtsgi.bc.ca> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Which files do I have to move for a user moving from one Mac to another
> so that he can continue to see his mail archives?

~/Library/Mail

and

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist

If that doesn't work, just copy the whole Library folder. This will
likely obliterate a lot of other important stuff, however. But if it's a
new account on the second Mac, it'd be the easiest way.
0
usenet
5/28/2005 11:24:48 PM
Paul Mitchum <usenet@mile23.c0m> wrote:

> Dale Friesen <dfriesen@amtsgi.bc.ca> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Which files do I have to move for a user moving from one Mac to another
> > so that he can continue to see his mail archives?
>
> ~/Library/Mail
>
> and
>
> ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist
>
> If that doesn't work, just copy the whole Library folder. This will
> likely obliterate a lot of other important stuff, however. But if it's a
> new account on the second Mac, it'd be the easiest way.

Good call. Thanks!

--
Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of Bolen Books.
Dale Friesen, Sysadmin
Bolen Books, Inc  Victoria, BC Canada
root@bolen.bc.ca    http://www.bolen.bc.ca
0
dfriesen
5/31/2005 1:38:03 PM
On 2005-05-27 06:53:34 -0700, dfriesen@amtsgi.bc.ca (Dale Friesen) said:

> Hi,
>
> Which files do I have to move for a user moving from one Mac to another
> so that he can continue to see his mail archives?

Why not use the built-in migration assistant?

0
Bill
6/1/2005 2:10:27 AM
In article <2005053119102716807%thanksforno@spamcom>,
 Bill Lloyd <thanks.for.no@spam.com> wrote:

> On 2005-05-27 06:53:34 -0700, dfriesen@amtsgi.bc.ca (Dale Friesen) said:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Which files do I have to move for a user moving from one Mac to another
> > so that he can continue to see his mail archives?
>
> Why not use the built-in migration assistant?

IF you don't have firewire, start with your home folder and go to
Library/Mail.  Move the folder titled Mail.

--
Rodger
0
Rodger Stamm <Forgetit@nomail.invalid> wrote:

> IF you don't have firewire, start with your home folder and go to
> Library/Mail.  Move the folder titled Mail.

Thanks. :)