Mail.app problem

Macbook Pro with 10.11.4 and 16 GB RAM.  I use Mail.app as my mailer
with google mail as my ISP.  I was messing around with it a few months
ago, and managed somehow to erase all the old mail back to last August.
 Last night I was looking for a recent letter from my son and typed his
name into the search box.  All the mail with him back to 2006 popped up.
 So if I click the inbox or Gmail or Google nested inboxes and scroll
the window down to the bottom, it only goes back to last August.  But if
I type a name in the search box, it will scroll back 10 years.  �Que
pasa? and how can I fix it back to normal so all the mail for 10 years
shows up in the inbox when I scroll down?  All the old mail is sitting
somewhere on the hard drive.  TIA.
0
paulfuchs
12/12/2016 1:01:01 AM
comp.sys.mac.apps 21416 articles. 2 followers. xxx613 (1334) is leader. Post Follow

On 12/11/16 8:26 PM, paulfuchs@spamain'tkosher.oink wrote:
> Macbook Pro with 10.11.4 and 16 GB RAM.  I use Mail.app as my mailer
> with google mail as my ISP.  I was messing around with it a few months
> ago, and managed somehow to erase all the old mail back to last August.
>  Last night I was looking for a recent letter from my son and typed his
> name into the search box.  All the mail with him back to 2006 popped up.
>  So if I click the inbox or Gmail or Google nested inboxes and scroll
> the window down to the bottom, it only goes back to last August.  But if
> I type a name in the search box, it will scroll back 10 years.  �Que
> pasa? and how can I fix it back to normal so all the mail for 10 years
> shows up in the inbox when I scroll down?  All the old mail is sitting
> somewhere on the hard drive.  TIA.

The old emails are likely archived on the Gmail server. You might be
able to re-download them from there.

--
The road ahead is going to be tough for President-elect Trump, what with
his lack of community organizing experience.
On 2016-12-12, Wade Garrett <wade@cooler.net> wrote:
> On 12/11/16 8:26 PM, paulfuchs@spamain'tkosher.oink wrote:
>> Macbook Pro with 10.11.4 and 16 GB RAM.  I use Mail.app as my mailer
>> with google mail as my ISP.  I was messing around with it a few months
>> ago, and managed somehow to erase all the old mail back to last August.
>>  Last night I was looking for a recent letter from my son and typed his
>> name into the search box.  All the mail with him back to 2006 popped up.
>>  So if I click the inbox or Gmail or Google nested inboxes and scroll
>> the window down to the bottom, it only goes back to last August.  But if
>> I type a name in the search box, it will scroll back 10 years.  ¿Que
>> pasa? and how can I fix it back to normal so all the mail for 10 years
>> shows up in the inbox when I scroll down?  All the old mail is sitting
>> somewhere on the hard drive.  TIA.
>>

> The old emails are likely archived on the Gmail server. You might be
> able to re-download them from there.

And here's how to disable the Google Mail Archive feature:

<https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202067>

JR
0
Jolly
12/12/2016 8:02:18 PM
Wade Garrett <wade@cooler.net> wrote:

> On 12/11/16 8:26 PM, paulfuchs@spamain'tkosher.oink wrote:
> > Macbook Pro with 10.11.4 and 16 GB RAM.  I use Mail.app as my mailer
> > with google mail as my ISP.  I was messing around with it a few months
> > ago, and managed somehow to erase all the old mail back to last August.
> >  Last night I was looking for a recent letter from my son and typed his
> > name into the search box.  All the mail with him back to 2006 popped up.
> >  So if I click the inbox or Gmail or Google nested inboxes and scroll
> > the window down to the bottom, it only goes back to last August.  But if
> > I type a name in the search box, it will scroll back 10 years.  �Que
> > pasa? and how can I fix it back to normal so all the mail for 10 years
> > shows up in the inbox when I scroll down?  All the old mail is sitting
> > somewhere on the hard drive.  TIA.
> >

> The old emails are likely archived on the Gmail server. You might be
> able to re-download them from there.

Yeah, I thought of that also and had checked for it by disconnecting my
Mac from the internet before running that search.  Still pulls up
messages going back ten years.  I do not have any mail on the Gmail
server going back more than a few months, at least none that **I** can
access.  So everything is still on the hard drive.  The two questions
are where are they and how do I reconfigure it to be continuous like it
was before I screwed it up?
0
paulfuchs
12/13/2016 1:01:01 AM
On 12-13-2016 09:13, paulfuchs@spamain'tkosher.oink wrote:
> Wade Garrett <wade@cooler.net> wrote:
>
>> On 12/11/16 8:26 PM, paulfuchs@spamain'tkosher.oink wrote:
>>> Macbook Pro with 10.11.4 and 16 GB RAM.  I use Mail.app as my mailer
>>> with google mail as my ISP.  I was messing around with it a few months
>>> ago, and managed somehow to erase all the old mail back to last August.
>>>  Last night I was looking for a recent letter from my son and typed his
>>> name into the search box.  All the mail with him back to 2006 popped up.
>>>  So if I click the inbox or Gmail or Google nested inboxes and scroll
>>> the window down to the bottom, it only goes back to last August.  But if
>>> I type a name in the search box, it will scroll back 10 years.  �Que
>>> pasa? and how can I fix it back to normal so all the mail for 10 years
>>> shows up in the inbox when I scroll down?  All the old mail is sitting
>>> somewhere on the hard drive.  TIA.
>>>

>> The old emails are likely archived on the Gmail server. You might be
>> able to re-download them from there.
>
> Yeah, I thought of that also and had checked for it by disconnecting my
> Mac from the internet before running that search.  Still pulls up
> messages going back ten years.  I do not have any mail on the Gmail
> server going back more than a few months, at least none that **I** can
> access.  So everything is still on the hard drive.  The two questions
> are where are they and how do I reconfigure it to be continuous like it
> was before I screwed it up?

Look at one of the old emails.  Copy a phrase that's not likely to be
very common.  Then in Terminal

find ~ -type f -exec grep -l "put that phrase here" "{}" \;

This will print the full path of any file containing that phrase.
0
Happy
12/14/2016 12:36:29 AM
In message <o2q46a$5pv$1@gioia.aioe.org>
  Happy.Hobo <Happy.Hobo@Spam.Invalid> wrote:
> On 12-13-2016 09:13, paulfuchs@spamain'tkosher.oink wrote:
>> Wade Garrett <wade@cooler.net> wrote:

>>> The old emails are likely archived on the Gmail server. You might be
>>> able to re-download them from there.
>>
>> Yeah, I thought of that also and had checked for it by disconnecting my
>> Mac from the internet before running that search.  Still pulls up
>> messages going back ten years.  I do not have any mail on the Gmail
>> server going back more than a few months, at least none that **I** can
>> access.  So everything is still on the hard drive.  The two questions
>> are where are they and how do I reconfigure it to be continuous like it
>> was before I screwed it up?
>>

> Look at one of the old emails.  Copy a phrase that's not likely to be
> very common.  Then in Terminal

> find ~ -type f -exec grep -l "put that phrase here" "{}" \;

grep -lr "put your phrase here" ~

Is all that's needed.

--
'Ah... I see that the new traffic division is having the desired
effect.' He indicated a large pile of paper. 'I am getting any amount of
On 2016-12-14, Happy.Hobo <Happy.Hobo@Spam.Invalid> wrote:

> Look at one of the old emails.  Copy a phrase that's not likely to be
> very common.  Then in Terminal
>
> find ~ -type f -exec grep -l "put that phrase here" "{}" \;
>
> This will print the full path of any file containing that phrase.

That will take forever! I'd use Spotlight's mdfind command, which will
find matching items *much* more quickly:

mdfind "phrase here"

JR
0
Jolly
12/14/2016 6:09:10 AM
Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:

> That will take forever! I'd use Spotlight's mdfind command, which will
> find matching items *much* more quickly:

> mdfind "phrase here"

Which does a wonderful job of finding files with the "phrase here" in the
filename but does nothing to find content within a file.

I'd use the find/grep command posted earlier but start in:

~/Library/Mail/V3

first. There is a mailbox in there that has all the answers.

-bruce
bje@ripco.com
0
Bruce
12/14/2016 12:25:38 PM
Bruce Esquibel <bje@ripco.com> wrote:
> Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:
>
>> That will take forever! I'd use Spotlight's mdfind command, which will
>> find matching items *much* more quickly:
>
>> mdfind "phrase here"
>
> Which does a wonderful job of finding files with the "phrase here" in the
> filename but does nothing to find content within a file.

You couldn't be more wrong. You've apparently never actually used Spotlight
/ mdfind if that's what you think. The entire *point* of Spotlight is that
it searches the actual *contents* of files rather than just file names! And
that includes mail, contacts, calendar events, and all sorts of other
things that don't necessarily have files that are accessible as such
(databases and so on).

> I'd use the find/grep command

And your results will take *much* longer to obtain and will be less useful
than with mdfind.

JR
0
Jolly
12/14/2016 3:23:56 PM
In message <ebc605F8c8kU1@mid.individual.net>
  Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:
> On 2016-12-14, Happy.Hobo <Happy.Hobo@Spam.Invalid> wrote:
>>
>> Look at one of the old emails.  Copy a phrase that's not likely to be
>> very common.  Then in Terminal
>>
>> find ~ -type f -exec grep -l "put that phrase here" "{}" \;
>>
>> This will print the full path of any file containing that phrase.

> That will take forever! I'd use Spotlight's mdfind command, which will
> find matching items *much* more quickly:

Yeah, but it really doesn't take that long on a home folder. I mean,
unless yoou're me. Or probably you.

(I'd also only search ~/Library)

--
Man is born free, but is everywhere in chains.
0
  Bruce Esquibel <bje@ripco.com> wrote:
> Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:

>> That will take forever! I'd use Spotlight's mdfind command, which will
>> find matching items *much* more quickly:

>> mdfind "phrase here"

> Which does a wonderful job of finding files with the "phrase here" in the
> filename but does nothing to find content within a file.

No. You are entirely wrong.

--
I have seen the truth and it makes no sense.
0
  Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:
> Bruce Esquibel <bje@ripco.com> wrote:
>> Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:
>>
>>> That will take forever! I'd use Spotlight's mdfind command, which will
>>> find matching items *much* more quickly:
>>
>>> mdfind "phrase here"
>>
>> Which does a wonderful job of finding files with the "phrase here" in the
>> filename but does nothing to find content within a file.

> You couldn't be more wrong. You've apparently never actually used Spotlight
> / mdfind if that's what you think. The entire *point* of Spotlight is that
> it searches the actual *contents* of files rather than just file names! And
> that includes mail, contacts, calendar events, and all sorts of other
> things that don't necessarily have files that are accessible as such
> (databases and so on).

 $ time mdfind flamingo | awk -F '/' '{print $NF}'
1028410.emlx
1028411.emlx
1019858.emlx
1019864.emlx
1017183.emlx
1014854.partial.emlx
1014694.emlx
1008820.emlx
1008788.emlx
648120.emlx
77185.emlx
969784.emlx
968989.emlx
965351.emlx
933789.emlx
933788.emlx
962840.emlx
970808.emlx
970380.emlx
946237.emlx
20160128-080956.news
p78.notesexternalrecord
http:%2F%2Fwww.spoonbill.org%2Fn+7%2Ftexts%2Fchurchill.html.webhistory
Disney WIkipedia.pdf
20131026-152742.news
20120814-023107.news
20120926-043912.news
20131026-091102.news

real    0m0.088s
user    0m0.024s
sys 0m0.016s

$ time grep -lir flamingo ~ | awk -F '/' '{print $NF}'

real    106m30.925s
user    95m55.572s
sys 4m0.830s

Took much longer, and it only searched the home folder, whilst mdfind
searched the entire computer. During the grep the process used between
80% and 97% of a CPU core, was far and away the greatest energy drain on
the laptop (causing the fans to spin up to maximum speed), and the
laptop was very hot (too hot to hold).

Keep in mind, this machine uses a SSD with about 450MB/s read speed.

--
Come on. Somewhere at the edge of the bell curve is the girl for me.
0
On 12-14-2016 00:09, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2016-12-14, Happy.Hobo <Happy.Hobo@Spam.Invalid> wrote:
>>
>> Look at one of the old emails.  Copy a phrase that's not likely to be
>> very common.  Then in Terminal
>>
>> find ~ -type f -exec grep -l "put that phrase here" "{}" \;
>>
>> This will print the full path of any file containing that phrase.
>
> That will take forever! I'd use Spotlight's mdfind command, which will
> find matching items *much* more quickly:
>
> mdfind "phrase here"

Not forever.  But longer for sure.

on my system, 'mdfind waters | grep Mail' took 68 milliseconds.

'grep -lr ~/Library/Mail' took 42 seconds

'find ~/Library/Mail -type f -exec grep -l waters "{}" \;' to more than
a minute.

BUT (and I don't understand this), find/grep found more files than the
recursive grep, and the recursive grep reported more files than mdfind.

Differences may be less unless you're like me, saving e-mails for years.
0
Happy
12/15/2016 4:29:50 AM
Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:

> You couldn't be more wrong. You've apparently never actually used Spotlight
> / mdfind if that's what you think. The entire *point* of Spotlight is that
> it searches the actual *contents* of files rather than just file names! And
> that includes mail, contacts, calendar events, and all sorts of other
> things that don't necessarily have files that are accessible as such
> (databases and so on).

If you say so, but it doesn't work on mine like that so I'll assume
spotlight is broken here. I never see any results from Library/Mail using
short phrases, long ones or even peoples names.

Going back to the OP's problem, since he hasn't come back with any of these
suggestions working, maybe he just needs to rebuild the mailboxes (Mailbox
-> Rebuild) and see what happens.

One of the OS releases (pretty sure Mavericks) I ran into something similar
where I though one of the mailboxes was truncated, it should of had more in
it than what was there but no clue if "Search" returned anything.

I also don't remember if that version had Rebuild as "Rebuild Mailbox" where
it only worked on the selected mailbox, but after doing them all, it fixed
things up.

I'm curious about this because if you go back and read what he said,
"somehow I deleted all the messages before Aug 2016 (or whatever)", that's
actually pretty hard to do by accident, if you think about it.

I never found any explanation on what "Rebuild" actually does but since it
seems to touch/mess with local mailboxes (On My Mac), it probably reads in
the messages from the mailboxes and rebuilds the index headers and doesn't
need to look at the pop/imap servers.

In the OP's case, maybe whatever mailbox the email he is seeing doing a
Search has a bad database file that is loaded for Mail (so it doesn't show)
but the Search is using Spotlights database and is telling mail where the
mail message is.

Maybe instead of doing all this grep/find/mdfind voodoo if he just runs that
Rebuild command it might do what it's supposed to do and fix the problem.

-bruce
bje@ripco.com
0
Bruce