Message app

Two days ago, Messages no longer show the location of my partner, but my
iPhone does. It's handy, but not critical, to restore that function to
the laptop (MBP, uptodate software). I don't recall purposely changing
any setting, nor can I find a menu item to toggle or set.

It's been working fine for the last year or more, and I am at a loss as
to how to right it.

--
John McWilliams
0

John McWilliams <jpmcw@comcast.net> wrote:

> Two days ago, Messages no longer show the location of my partner, but my
> iPhone does. It's handy, but not critical, to restore that function to
> the laptop (MBP, uptodate software). I don't recall purposely changing
> any setting, nor can I find a menu item to toggle or set.
>
> It's been working fine for the last year or more, and I am at a loss as
> to how to right it.

I also can't spot any setting for it (mine is working fine), but some
ideas occur to me:

One or more of these three will be important (not sure which one):

- Are you signed into iMessage in Messages preferences using your Apple
ID, and is that account enabled?

- Is your Mac user account linked to your Apple ID? This is harder to
locate in recent versions of macOS/OS X: System Prefernces > Users &
Groups > (unlock padlock and enter password) > (ctrl-click your account
name in the left column) > Advanced Options > Apple ID.

- Is your Mac signed in to your iCloud account using your Apple ID?
(System Preferences > iCloud.)

Other thoughts:

- If you bring up the Today view in Notification Center, do you have the
Find My Friends widget enabled? If not, click the Edit button and add
it. Does that widget show the location of your partner?

- Do you have multiple conversations with your partner in Messages using
different contact details, which Messages has not automatically grouped
into a single item? If so, try one of the other conversations. You need
to be using a conversation which is linked to their Apple ID.

--
David Empson
dempson@actrix.gen.nz
On 11/11/16   PDT 10:32 PM, David Empson wrote:
> John McWilliams <jpmcw@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Two days ago, Messages no longer show the location of my partner, but my
>> iPhone does. It's handy, but not critical, to restore that function to
>> the laptop (MBP, uptodate software). I don't recall purposely changing
>> any setting, nor can I find a menu item to toggle or set.
>>
>> It's been working fine for the last year or more, and I am at a loss as
>> to how to right it.
>
> I also can't spot any setting for it (mine is working fine), but some
> ideas occur to me:
>
> One or more of these three will be important (not sure which one):
>
> - Are you signed into iMessage in Messages preferences using your Apple
> ID, and is that account enabled?
>
> -  *Is your Mac user account linked to your Apple ID*? This is harder to
> locate in recent versions of macOS/OS X: System Prefernces > Users &
> Groups > (unlock padlock and enter password) > (ctrl-click your account
> name in the left column) > Advanced Options > Apple ID.

Fixed! Don't know whether the restart was what did it, but I added my ID
@icloud.com, (but my ID is @me in Messages.)

I suspect that @.mac, @.me and @icloud are essentially synonymous in the
Mac OS world?

> - Is your Mac signed in to your iCloud account using your Apple ID?
> (System Preferences > iCloud.)

Yes.

> Other thoughts:
>
> - If you bring up the Today view in Notification Center, do you have the
> Find My Friends widget enabled? If not, click the Edit button and add
> it. Does that widget show the location of your partner?

Yes, it does, just added it.

> - Do you have multiple conversations with your partner in Messages using
> different contact details, which Messages has not automatically grouped
> into a single item? If so, try one of the other conversations. You need
> to be using a conversation which is linked to their Apple ID.

Yes, I had been doing that.

On a slightly different problem, it occurred to me that the bolded
portion of your reply might be the answer to my name showing up in
notices to me from my partner's computer that *I* have changed the
Calendar event. I gave her my MB Air some time ago, wiped it clean, but
somehow my name got associated with Calendar events.

Thanks, David! You always come through.

--
John McWilliams

0
John
11/12/2016 5:20:02 PM
John McWilliams <jpmcw@comcast.net> wrote:

> On 11/11/16   PDT 10:32 PM, David Empson wrote:
> > John McWilliams <jpmcw@comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Two days ago, Messages no longer show the location of my partner, but my
> >> iPhone does. It's handy, but not critical, to restore that function to
> >> the laptop (MBP, uptodate software). I don't recall purposely changing
> >> any setting, nor can I find a menu item to toggle or set.
> >>
> >> It's been working fine for the last year or more, and I am at a loss as
> >> to how to right it.
> >
> > I also can't spot any setting for it (mine is working fine), but some
> > ideas occur to me:
> >
> > One or more of these three will be important (not sure which one):
> >
> > - Are you signed into iMessage in Messages preferences using your Apple
> > ID, and is that account enabled?
> >
> > -  *Is your Mac user account linked to your Apple ID*? This is harder to
> > locate in recent versions of macOS/OS X: System Prefernces > Users &
> > Groups > (unlock padlock and enter password) > (ctrl-click your account
> > name in the left column) > Advanced Options > Apple ID.
>
> Fixed! Don't know whether the restart was what did it, but I added my ID
> @icloud.com, (but my ID is @me in Messages.)
>
> I suspect that @.mac, @.me and @icloud are essentially synonymous in the
> Mac OS world?

Not quite.

The three address types relate to Apple's ".Mac" (pronounced "dot Mac"),
"MobileMe" and "iCloud" services. .Mac was renamed to MobileMe. MobileMe
and iCloud ran at the same time around mid 2011 to mid 2012, with the
ability to migrate from MobileMe to iCloud, then MobileMe was shut down.

@mac.com addresses originated on .Mac.

@me.com addresses originated on MobileMe. All @mac.com addresses gained
an @me.com alias when the service name changed, but newly created
MobileMe accounts after that point didn't get an @mac.com alias.

@icloud.com addresses originated on iCloud. @me.com addresses and
@mac.com addresses gained an @icloud.com alias if the account was
migrated to iCloud, but newly created iCloud accounts didn't get a
@me.com or @mac.com alias. (Accounts not migrated from MobileMe to
iCloud probably stopped working when MobileMe shut down.)

Therefore:

An @mac.com address which still works should have @me.com and
@icloud.com as aliases.

An @me.com address which still works should have @icloud.com as an
alias, but it would only have @mac.com as an alias if the account was
created long enough ago.

An @icloud.com address would only have @me.com as an alias if it was
created long enough ago and the account was migrated from MobileMe; of
those with @me.com as an alias, only some will have @mac.com aliases, if
the account originated even longer ago.

> On a slightly different problem, it occurred to me that the bolded
> portion of your reply might be the answer to my name showing up in
> notices to me from my partner's computer that *I* have changed the
> Calendar event. I gave her my MB Air some time ago, wiped it clean, but
> somehow my name got associated with Calendar events.
>
> Thanks, David! You always come through.

Glad to be of assistance.
--
David Empson
dempson@actrix.gen.nz
On 2016-11-12 21:26:55 +0000, dempson@actrix.gen.nz (David Empson) said:

> John McWilliams <jpmcw@comcast.net> wrote:

>>> I also can't spot any setting for it (mine is working fine), but some
>>> ideas occur to me:
>>>
>>> One or more of these three will be important (not sure which one):
>>>
>>> - Are you signed into iMessage in Messages preferences using your Apple
>>> ID, and is that account enabled?
>>>
>>> -  *Is your Mac user account linked to your Apple ID*? This is harder to
>>> locate in recent versions of macOS/OS X: System Prefernces > Users &
>>> Groups > (unlock padlock and enter password) > (ctrl-click your account
>>> name in the left column) > Advanced Options > Apple ID.
>>
>> Fixed! Don't know whether the restart was what did it, but I added my ID
>> @icloud.com, (but my ID is @me in Messages.)
>>
>> I suspect that @.mac, @.me and @icloud are essentially synonymous in the
>> Mac OS world?
>
> Not quite.
>
> The three address types relate to Apple's ".Mac" (pronounced "dot Mac"),
> "MobileMe" and "iCloud" services. .Mac was renamed to MobileMe. MobileMe
> and iCloud ran at the same time around mid 2011 to mid 2012, with the
> ability to migrate from MobileMe to iCloud, then MobileMe was shut down.
>
> @mac.com addresses originated on .Mac.

Yup! That was from the iTools days.

--
Regards,