Opening a doc on Mac A using an app on Mac B?

Macs A and B are on the same LAN, and both have copies of a certain app.
The master file or doc created by that app is stored only on Mac A, and
most of the time is opened, modified, and re-saved using the copy of
that app on Mac A.

Is there any single-click way that one could sometimes open this file
that's on Mac A from the Mac B keyboard __using the copy of the app
that's on Mac B__; modify it using the Mac B copy; and re-save it on Mac
A?

Obviously I'm trying to avoid the complexities of having to keep
duplicate copies on the doc on Macs A and B and then somehow keep these
two copies synched, or of doing a full remote control operation of Mac A
from Mac B.

For example, could I at some point drag the doc that's on Mac A into the
Dock on Mac B, and go from there? Would the Mac B Dock even accept it,
much less process it the way I want when I subsequently clicked on it?

Could I create an alias to the doc that's on Mac A; put that alias on
the Mac B desktop; and double-click it there?

Could Automator set up this operation in some fashion?
0
siegman (1559)
5/25/2011 3:09:42 PM
comp.sys.mac.apps 21416 articles. 2 followers. xxx613 (1335) is leader. Post Follow

In article
<siegman-57E8B9.08094225052011@bmedcfsc-srv02.tufts.ad.tufts.edu>, AES
<siegman@stanford.edu> wrote:

> Macs A and B are on the same LAN, and both have copies of a certain app.
> The master file or doc created by that app is stored only on Mac A, and
> most of the time is opened, modified, and re-saved using the copy of
> that app on Mac A.
>
> Is there any single-click way that one could sometimes open this file
> that's on Mac A from the Mac B keyboard __using the copy of the app
> that's on Mac B__; modify it using the Mac B copy; and re-save it on Mac
> A?

turn on file sharing on mac a, mount its drive on mac b, and edit the
file directly. just be sure mac a is not using the file at the same
time as mac b.
0
nospam59 (11087)
5/25/2011 3:17:30 PM
In article <250520110817303687%nospam@nospam.invalid>,
 nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> In article
> <siegman-57E8B9.08094225052011@bmedcfsc-srv02.tufts.ad.tufts.edu>, AES
> <siegman@stanford.edu> wrote:
>
> > Macs A and B are on the same LAN, and both have copies of a certain app.
> > The master file or doc created by that app is stored only on Mac A, and
> > most of the time is opened, modified, and re-saved using the copy of
> > that app on Mac A.
> >
> > Is there any single-click way that one could sometimes open this file
> > that's on Mac A from the Mac B keyboard __using the copy of the app
> > that's on Mac B__; modify it using the Mac B copy; and re-save it on Mac
> > A?
>
> turn on file sharing on mac a, mount its drive on mac b, and edit the
> file directly. just be sure mac a is not using the file at the same
> time as mac b.

Exactamundo, I do this frequently.
--
Start every day with a big smile and get it over with!
0
In article <250520110817303687%nospam@nospam.invalid>,
 nospam <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> In article
> <siegman-57E8B9.08094225052011@bmedcfsc-srv02.tufts.ad.tufts.edu>, AES
> <siegman@stanford.edu> wrote:
>
> > Macs A and B are on the same LAN, and both have copies of a certain app.
> > The master file or doc created by that app is stored only on Mac A, and
> > most of the time is opened, modified, and re-saved using the copy of
> > that app on Mac A.
> >
> > Is there any single-click way that one could sometimes open this file
> > that's on Mac A from the Mac B keyboard __using the copy of the app
> > that's on Mac B__; modify it using the Mac B copy; and re-save it on Mac
> > A?
>
> turn on file sharing on mac a, mount its drive on mac b, and edit the
> file directly. just be sure mac a is not using the file at the same
> time as mac b.

And if the password to Mac A is stored in Mac B's keychain, an alias to
the file on Mac A can be stored on Mac B so a double-click on the alias
will launch the app in Mac B, opening the file from Mac A.

NB: the caution above about having the same file open on both computers.

--
PRAY, v.  To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf
of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy. -- Ambrose Bierce
> > > Is there any single-click way that one could sometimes open this file
> > > that's on Mac A from the Mac B keyboard __using the copy of the app
> > > that's on Mac B__; modify it using the Mac B copy; and re-save it on Mac
> > > A?
> >
> > turn on file sharing on mac a, mount its drive on mac b, and edit the
> > file directly. just be sure mac a is not using the file at the same
> > time as mac b.
>
> And if the password to Mac A is stored in Mac B's keychain, an alias to
> the file on Mac A can be stored on Mac B so a double-click on the alias
> will launch the app in Mac B, opening the file from Mac A.

Thanks much to both nospam and Tom Stiller -- just what I'd hoped.

Based on my limited OS X knowhow, I'd have guessed that the alias on Mac
B would still point back to the file on Mac A, but not been sure whether
a double-click on that alias would open the file in the copy of the app
on Mac A or Mac B.  Now I'll have to see whether I can further put that
alias in the Mac B Dock.
0
siegman (1559)