OS 9 Emulator on OS X 10.6

Is there an application for funning OS 9 applications on OS X 10.6? A
Google search has informed me of something called SheepShaver but the
big thrust is for running it on Mavericks and its emulating PC/Windows.
I've been unable to find a home site to get more information.

Charlie
--
Nobody in this country got rich on his own.  You built a factory--good.
But you moved your goods on roads we all paid for.  You hired workers we

On 02/02/2016 11:46 AM, Charles H. Sampson wrote:
> Is there an application for funning OS 9 applications on OS X 10.6? A
> Google search has informed me of something called SheepShaver but the
> big thrust is for running it on Mavericks and its emulating PC/Windows.
> I've been unable to find a home site to get more information.
>
> Charlie

Is there not some OS-X equivalent to the OS-9 app you wish to run?

I would think there would be such a thing.

I never bothered to fool with SheepShaver because it is reported to run
the emulated applications "at a snails pace", if at all.
0
philo
2/2/2016 6:30:00 PM
On 2016-02-02, Charles H. Sampson <csampson@inetworld.net> wrote:
> Is there an application for funning OS 9 applications on OS X 10.6? A
> Google search has informed me of something called SheepShaver but the
> big thrust is for running it on Mavericks and its emulating PC/Windows.
> I've been unable to find a home site to get more information.
>
> Charlie

Have a look at SheepShaver. I've been running it through various of OS X
including El Capitan.

<http://sheepshaver.cebix.net/>
0
Tom
2/2/2016 6:32:43 PM
In article <1mhzka4.fgbex4pxer4mN%csampson@inetworld.net>,
 csampson@inetworld.net (Charles H. Sampson) wrote:

> Is there an application for funning OS 9 applications on OS X 10.6? A
> Google search has informed me of something called SheepShaver but the
> big thrust is for running it on Mavericks and its emulating PC/Windows.
> I've been unable to find a home site to get more information.

This is precisely what Sheepshaver is mostly used for. I've never heard
of using it for PC/Windows emulation, that's what VirtualBox is for. I'm
running it on Snow Leopard so I can run Managing Your Money.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA
  Charles H. Sampson <csampson@inetworld.net> wrote:
> Is there an application for funning OS 9 applications on OS X 10.6?

Assuming that is a tyop for running, no. Assuming OS 9 is ios 9 You
can't even run them in an emulator in XCode on 10.6 (which is six year
old OS). If you meant Mac OS 9, then largely no.

> A Google search has informed me of something called SheepShaver but
> the big thrust is for running it on Mavericks and its emulating
> PC/Windows.  I've been unable to find a home site to get more
> information.

You can't find a site for Sheepshaver? Did you look?

<http://bfy.tw/43ON>

Sheepshaver often works, but sometimes does not. The current Mac build
runs on OS X 10.4 through 10.9.

--
Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you
put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying
philo <philo@privacy.net> wrote:

> Is there not some OS-X equivalent to the OS-9 app you wish to run?
>
> I would think there would be such a thing.

No, often not.

> I never bothered to fool with SheepShaver because it is reported to run
> the emulated applications "at a snails pace", if at all.

On the contrary, Sheepshaver runs applications faster than they ran on
original hardware. I use it and Basilisk II frequently to run older
software in OS X.

JR
0
Jolly
2/2/2016 11:30:17 PM
In article <dhcsg9Fki27U1@mid.individual.net>,
 Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:

> philo <philo@privacy.net> wrote:
> >
> > Is there not some OS-X equivalent to the OS-9 app you wish to run?
> >
> > I would think there would be such a thing.
>
> No, often not.
>
> > I never bothered to fool with SheepShaver because it is reported to run
> > the emulated applications "at a snails pace", if at all.
>
> On the contrary, Sheepshaver runs applications faster than they ran on
> original hardware. I use it and Basilisk II frequently to run older
> software in OS X.

Yup. For me, too. I use it to run a 25+ year old CAD package.

Isaac
0
isw
2/3/2016 5:00:21 AM
In article <isw-E233A5.21002102022016@news-roam.garlic.com>,
 isw <isw@witzend.com> wrote:

> In article <dhcsg9Fki27U1@mid.individual.net>,
>  Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:
>
> > philo <philo@privacy.net> wrote:
> > >
> > > Is there not some OS-X equivalent to the OS-9 app you wish to run?
> > >
> > > I would think there would be such a thing.
> >
> > No, often not.
> >
> > > I never bothered to fool with SheepShaver because it is reported to run
> > > the emulated applications "at a snails pace", if at all.
> >
> > On the contrary, Sheepshaver runs applications faster than they ran on
> > original hardware. I use it and Basilisk II frequently to run older
> > software in OS X.
>
> Yup. For me, too. I use it to run a 25+ year old CAD package.

I'd estimate it's about 10x faster than the original hardware. For
instance, booting the OS and loading extensions takes 5-10 seconds, when
it took at least a minute on the real hardware (although I also had lots
more extensions on my real OS 9 system -- the emulator is running a very
minimal, uncustomized configuration).

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA
Barry
2/3/2016 5:18:49 AM
Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> In article <isw-E233A5.21002102022016@news-roam.garlic.com>,
>  isw <isw@witzend.com> wrote:
>
>> In article <dhcsg9Fki27U1@mid.individual.net>,
>> Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> On the contrary, Sheepshaver runs applications faster than they ran on
>>> original hardware. I use it and Basilisk II frequently to run older
>>> software in OS X.
>>
>> Yup. For me, too. I use it to run a 25+ year old CAD package.
>
> I'd estimate it's about 10x faster than the original hardware. For
> instance, booting the OS and loading extensions takes 5-10 seconds, when
> it took at least a minute on the real hardware (although I also had lots
> more extensions on my real OS 9 system -- the emulator is running a very
> minimal, uncustomized configuration).

Yep. It's quite fast since today's computers are so much faster. Basilisk
II has an option to slow down execution to levels that more closely match
the original hardware, if that's what you want.

JR
0
Jolly
2/3/2016 7:41:36 AM
Tom Stiller <clusterfux.upmon@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2016-02-02, Charles H. Sampson <csampson@inetworld.net> wrote:
> > Is there an application for funning OS 9 applications on OS X 10.6? A
> > Google search has informed me of something called SheepShaver but the
> > big thrust is for running it on Mavericks and its emulating PC/Windows.
> > I've been unable to find a home site to get more information.
>
> Have a look at SheepShaver. I've been running it through various of OS X
> including El Capitan.
>
> <http://sheepshaver.cebix.net/>

Thanks. For some reason this did not turn up among my Google search
results.

Charlie
--
Nobody in this country got rich on his own.  You built a factory--good.
But you moved your goods on roads we all paid for.  You hired workers we
all paid to educate. So keep a big hunk of the money from your factory.
But take a hunk and pay it forward.  Elizabeth Warren (paraphrased)
0
csampson
2/3/2016 9:45:14 AM
On 02/02/2016 11:18 PM, Barry Margolin wrote:
> In article <isw-E233A5.21002102022016@news-roam.garlic.com>,
>   isw <isw@witzend.com> wrote:
>
>> In article <dhcsg9Fki27U1@mid.individual.net>,
>>   Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:

>>> No, often not.

>>> On the contrary, Sheepshaver runs applications faster than they ran on
>>> original hardware. I use it and Basilisk II frequently to run older
>>> software in OS X.
>>
>> Yup. For me, too. I use it to run a 25+ year old CAD package.
>
> I'd estimate it's about 10x faster than the original hardware. For
> instance, booting the OS and loading extensions takes 5-10 seconds, when
> it took at least a minute on the real hardware (although I also had lots
> more extensions on my real OS 9 system -- the emulator is running a very
> minimal, uncustomized configuration).

Thank both of you for a "real person" review. I should not have given
2nd hand advice

0
philo
2/3/2016 10:31:32 AM
In message <dhdp9fFqpduU1@mid.individual.net>
  Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:
> Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>> In article <isw-E233A5.21002102022016@news-roam.garlic.com>,
>>  isw <isw@witzend.com> wrote:

>>> Yup. For me, too. I use it to run a 25+ year old CAD package.
>>
>> I'd estimate it's about 10x faster than the original hardware. For
>> instance, booting the OS and loading extensions takes 5-10 seconds, when
>> it took at least a minute on the real hardware (although I also had lots
>> more extensions on my real OS 9 system -- the emulator is running a very
>> minimal, uncustomized configuration).

> Yep. It's quite fast since today's computers are so much faster. Basilisk
> II has an option to slow down execution to levels that more closely match
> the original hardware, if that's what you want.

I keep intending to figure out how to get Lode Runner off my ancient Mac
SE onto a new machine so I can play it in the emulator, but I never seem
to get around to actually doing it.

--
Secondly, the Earth's a Libra
0
 Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:

> Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> > In article <isw-E233A5.21002102022016@news-roam.garlic.com>,
> >  isw <isw@witzend.com> wrote:

> >> Yup. For me, too. I use it to run a 25+ year old CAD package.
> >
> > I'd estimate it's about 10x faster than the original hardware. For
> > instance, booting the OS and loading extensions takes 5-10 seconds, when
> > it took at least a minute on the real hardware (although I also had lots
> > more extensions on my real OS 9 system -- the emulator is running a very
> > minimal, uncustomized configuration).
>
> Yep. It's quite fast since today's computers are so much faster. Basilisk
> II has an option to slow down execution to levels that more closely match
> the original hardware, if that's what you want.

I'll have to give that a try. I used to enjoy playing "The Colony" on a
16 MHz Mac II. Some years later I was running a 300 MHz or so PowerMac
and loaded up the old game again. It was totally unplayable -- evidently
the developers, faced with the "speed" of the Mac II, never expected
anything faster, and had not included any timing delays, so the
processor ran the entire game full tilt boogie. It was nearly impossible
to navigate around, because you kept running into things. But worse, As
soon as you encountered a "bad guy", it was BAMBAMBAMBAMYou'reDead.

Isaac
0
isw
2/3/2016 6:06:23 PM
Lewis wrote:

> I keep intending to figure out how to get Lode Runner off my
> ancient Mac SE onto a new machine so I can play it in the
> emulator, but I never seem to get around to actually doing it.

If thats the original monochrome Mac version, then I would think that
Mini vMac would be your best bet.

You can even get Mini vMac variations; e.g.; Mini vMac SE - and use the
ROM copied from your own SE - legally! ;).

p.s. The (build-your-own) Mini vMac Variations service is excellent:
http://www.gryphel.com/c/var/index.html

--
dee
0
Charles H. Sampson wrote:

> Tom Stiller <clusterfux.upmon@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]
>> <http://sheepshaver.cebix.net/>
>
> Thanks. For some reason this did not turn up among my Google
> search results.

And from there, go to Emaculation.com:
http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sheepshaver

For pre-made binaries suitable for your OS, hints, tips, & excellent
advice, to get yourself up and running quickly.

--
dee
0
On 2016-02-06, Mike Dee <mikedee@emteedee.invalid> wrote:
> Lewis wrote:
>
>> I keep intending to figure out how to get Lode Runner off my
>> ancient Mac SE onto a new machine so I can play it in the
>> emulator, but I never seem to get around to actually doing it.
>
> If thats the original monochrome Mac version, then I would think that
> Mini vMac would be your best bet.
>
> You can even get Mini vMac variations; e.g.; Mini vMac SE - and use the
> ROM copied from your own SE - legally! ;).
>
> p.s. The (build-your-own) Mini vMac Variations service is excellent:
> http://www.gryphel.com/c/var/index.html

Yep. I only wish it was easy (possible) to get it running with my SE/30
ROM image. So far, no such luck. : (

JR
0
Jolly
2/6/2016 11:08:28 PM
On 2016-02-06, Mike Dee <mikedee@emteedee.invalid> wrote:
> Charles H. Sampson wrote:
>
>> Tom Stiller <clusterfux.upmon@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
> [...]
>>>
>>> <http://sheepshaver.cebix.net/>
>>
>> Thanks. For some reason this did not turn up among my Google
>> search results.
>
> And from there, go to Emaculation.com:
> http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sheepshaver
>
> For pre-made binaries suitable for your OS, hints, tips, & excellent
> advice, to get yourself up and running quickly.

The Emaculation forums are an invaluable resource!

JR
0
Jolly
2/6/2016 11:09:07 PM
Jolly Roger wrote:

> On 2016-02-06, Mike Dee <mikedee@emteedee.invalid> wrote:
>> Lewis wrote:
>>
>>> I keep intending to figure out how to get Lode Runner off my
>>> ancient Mac SE onto a new machine so I can play it in the
>>> emulator, but I never seem to get around to actually doing it.
>>
>> If thats the original monochrome Mac version, then I would think
>> that Mini vMac would be your best bet.
>>
>> You can even get Mini vMac variations; e.g.; Mini vMac SE - and
>> use the ROM copied from your own SE - legally! ;).
>>
>> p.s. The (build-your-own) Mini vMac Variations service is
>> excellent: http://www.gryphel.com/c/var/index.html
>
> Yep. I only wish it was easy (possible) to get it running with my
> SE/30 ROM image. So far, no such luck. : (

I wish! but no chance of that happening any time soon. Mini vMac
supports 68000 & 68020 CPU's only, to date.

The work in progress on Macintosh II emulation is nice tho'. It can
also use the ROM from a Mac SE/30 (despite coming from an '030 Mac).

Use the CopyROM program available from gryphel.com;
http://www.gryphel.com/c/minivmac/extras/copyroms/index.html it will
give a checksum along with the ROM file which should match:
Macintosh SE/30
    ROM Size: 256k
    ROM Checksum: 97221136
    ROM md5 Checksum: 2a8a4c7f2a38e0ab0771f59a9a0f1ee4
    ROM Image Name: MacIIx.ROM

If it matches, rename the ROM "MacII.ROM" and use it with a Mac II
variation build.

You could then get a Mac II variation built to roughly the SE/30's
specs. i.e.; Mono display (512x342).

Tho' larger displays and color do look a lot better than mono :)

--
dee
0
Jolly Roger wrote:

> Yep. I only wish it was easy (possible) to get it running with my
> SE/30 ROM image. So far, no such luck. : (

Just noticed, you already have it as a ROM image :)

If it's MD5 checksum matches:
2a8a4c7f2a38e0ab0771f59a9a0f1ee4

Give it a go on a Mac II variation.

--
dee
0
  Mike Dee <mikedee@emteedee.invalid> wrote:
> Lewis wrote:

>> I keep intending to figure out how to get Lode Runner off my
>> ancient Mac SE onto a new machine so I can play it in the
>> emulator, but I never seem to get around to actually doing it.

> If thats the original monochrome Mac version, then I would think that
> Mini vMac would be your best bet.

> You can even get Mini vMac variations; e.g.; Mini vMac SE - and use the
> ROM copied from your own SE - legally! ;).

> p.s. The (build-your-own) Mini vMac Variations service is excellent:
> http://www.gryphel.com/c/var/index.html

Thanks, but how do I get the game off the floppy to my iMac?

--
'What shall we do?' said Twoflower. 'Panic?' said Rincewind hopefully.
0

Ethernet? http://www.jagshouse.com/PlusToiMac.html

--
dee
0
  Mike Dee <mikedee@emteedee.invalid> wrote:
> Lewis wrote:
>>   Mike Dee wrote:

>>> If thats the original monochrome Mac version, then I would think
>>> that Mini vMac would be your best bet.
>>
>>> You can even get Mini vMac variations; e.g.; Mini vMac SE - and
>>> use the ROM copied from your own SE - legally! ;).
>>
>>> p.s. The (build-your-own) Mini vMac Variations service is
>>> excellent: http://www.gryphel.com/c/var/index.html
>>
>> Thanks, but how do I get the game off the floppy to my iMac?

> Ethernet? http://www.jagshouse.com/PlusToiMac.html

Those may have been available when that page was written, they certainly
do not seem to be now.

--
Demons have existed on the Discworld for at least as long as the gods,
who in many ways they closely resemble. The difference is basically the
On 2016-02-07, Mike Dee <mikedee@emteedee.invalid> wrote:
> Jolly Roger wrote:
>
>> Yep. I only wish it was easy (possible) to get it running with my
>> SE/30 ROM image. So far, no such luck. : (
>
> I wish! but no chance of that happening any time soon. Mini vMac
> supports 68000 & 68020 CPU's only, to date.
>
> The work in progress on Macintosh II emulation is nice tho'. It can
> also use the ROM from a Mac SE/30 (despite coming from an '030 Mac).
>
> Use the CopyROM program available from gryphel.com;
> http://www.gryphel.com/c/minivmac/extras/copyroms/index.html it will
> give a checksum along with the ROM file which should match:
> Macintosh SE/30
>     ROM Size: 256k
>     ROM Checksum: 97221136
>     ROM md5 Checksum: 2a8a4c7f2a38e0ab0771f59a9a0f1ee4
>     ROM Image Name: MacIIx.ROM
>
> If it matches, rename the ROM "MacII.ROM" and use it with a Mac II
> variation build.
>
> You could then get a Mac II variation built to roughly the SE/30's
> specs. i.e.; Mono display (512x342).
>
> Tho' larger displays and color do look a lot better than mono :)

I ended up using Basilisk II, but may try to find some time to try this
out sometime in the future. : )

JR
0
Jolly
2/7/2016 8:52:06 PM
On 2016-02-07, Mike Dee <mikedee@emteedee.invalid> wrote:
> Jolly Roger wrote:
>
>> Yep. I only wish it was easy (possible) to get it running with my
>> SE/30 ROM image. So far, no such luck. : (
>
> Just noticed, you already have it as a ROM image :)
>
> If it's MD5 checksum matches:
> 2a8a4c7f2a38e0ab0771f59a9a0f1ee4
>
> Give it a go on a Mac II variation.

Indeed, it does:

# md5 Mac\ SE30.ROM
MD5 (Mac SE30.ROM) = 2a8a4c7f2a38e0ab0771f59a9a0f1ee4

Thanks for the suggestion. : )

JR
0
Jolly
2/7/2016 8:54:05 PM
Lewis wrote:
> Mike Dee wrote:

>>> Thanks, but how do I get the game off the floppy to my iMac?
>
>> Ethernet? http://www.jagshouse.com/PlusToiMac.html
>
> Those may have been available when that page was written, they
> certainly do not seem to be now.

1st hit in search engine:
http://www.computerpartsgalore.com/network-misc/asantemicro/ENSC.htm

Alternatives to SCSI to Ethernet solutions:
----
SCSI to CF - expensive, do your own googling if curious.

----
USB floppy disk drive. Common, inexpensive & portable.
Mac 1.4MB floppy media only

I recommend TEAC brand:
http://www.teac.co.jp/dspd/product/magnetic/fd-05pub.html

ebay US $11.35 (MODEL: FD-05PUB)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TEAC-1-44-MB-USB-External-Floppy-Disk-Drive-For-27L4226-27L4076-05K9283-IBM-Dell-/220966899251

--
dee
0
  Mike Dee <mikedee@emteedee.invalid> wrote:
> Lewis wrote:
>> Mike Dee wrote:

>>> Ethernet? http://www.jagshouse.com/PlusToiMac.html
>>
>> Those may have been available when that page was written, they
>> certainly do not seem to be now.

> 1st hit in search engine:
> http://www.computerpartsgalore.com/network-misc/asantemicro/ENSC.htm

$47.

> I recommend TEAC brand:
> http://www.teac.co.jp/dspd/product/magnetic/fd-05pub.html

> ebay US $11.35 (MODEL: FD-05PUB)
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/TEAC-1-44-MB-USB-External-Floppy-Disk-Drive-For-27L4226-27L4076-05K9283-IBM-Dell-/220966899251

A 1.44MB USB floppy drive cannot read 800K Mac floppies.

--
There's a city in my mind Come along and take that ride
And it's all right, baby it's all right
And it's all right, baby it's all right
0
Lewis
2/7/2016 9:53:39 PM
Jolly Roger wrote:

> On 2016-02-07, Mike Dee <mikedee@emteedee.invalid> wrote:
>> Jolly Roger wrote:
>>
>>> Yep. I only wish it was easy (possible) to get it running with my
>>> SE/30 ROM image. So far, no such luck. : (
>>
>> Just noticed, you already have it as a ROM image :)
>>
>> If it's MD5 checksum matches:
>> 2a8a4c7f2a38e0ab0771f59a9a0f1ee4
>>
>> Give it a go on a Mac II variation.
>
> Indeed, it does:
>
> # md5 Mac\ SE30.ROM
> MD5 (Mac SE30.ROM) = 2a8a4c7f2a38e0ab0771f59a9a0f1ee4
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. : )

Great.

Its the same dirty ROM that I currently use with Mini vMac II ;)

.... the MvM II variation supports up to only 8MB RAM, I think because
of the dirty ROM type that shipped with the Mac II (32 bit addressing
is unavailable).

Which incidentally fills an unforseen (by me) niche i.e.; Programs that
require color but can only run in systems with 32 bit addressing turned
off can live again.

"Rex Nebular and the Cosmic Gender Bender" (Mac version) springs to
mind - runs smoothly on Mini vMac II with an 8 bit (256 color)
variation build.

--
dee
0
Lewis wrote:

> A 1.44MB USB floppy drive cannot read 800K Mac floppies.

Your SE is a 1st generation 800k floppy drive only?

--
dee
0
On 2016-02-07, Mike Dee <mikedee@emteedee.invalid> wrote:
> Jolly Roger wrote:

>>> Just noticed, you already have it as a ROM image :)
>>>
>>> If it's MD5 checksum matches:
>>> 2a8a4c7f2a38e0ab0771f59a9a0f1ee4
>>>
>>> Give it a go on a Mac II variation.
>>
>> Indeed, it does:
>>
>> # md5 Mac\ SE30.ROM
>> MD5 (Mac SE30.ROM) = 2a8a4c7f2a38e0ab0771f59a9a0f1ee4
>>
>> Thanks for the suggestion. : )
>
> Great.
>
> Its the same dirty ROM that I currently use with Mini vMac II ;)
>
> ... the MvM II variation supports up to only 8MB RAM, I think because
> of the dirty ROM type that shipped with the Mac II (32 bit addressing
> is unavailable).

I have 80 MB installed in my SE/30. : )

JR
0
Jolly
2/8/2016 3:14:35 AM
In message <XnsA5A8611438DFFmikedee@emteedee.invalid>
  Mike Dee <mikedee@emteedee.invalid> wrote:
> Lewis wrote:

>> A 1.44MB USB floppy drive cannot read 800K Mac floppies.

> Your SE is a 1st generation 800k floppy drive only?

Yep.

--
The Earth is like a tiny grain of sand, only much, much heavier.
0
Jolly Roger wrote:

> On 2016-02-07, Mike Dee <mikedee@emteedee.invalid> wrote:
>> Jolly Roger wrote:

>>> Indeed, it does:
>>>
>>> # md5 Mac\ SE30.ROM
>>> MD5 (Mac SE30.ROM) = 2a8a4c7f2a38e0ab0771f59a9a0f1ee4
>>>
>>> Thanks for the suggestion. : )
>>
>> Great.
>>
>> Its the same dirty ROM that I currently use with Mini vMac II ;)
>>
>> ... the MvM II variation supports up to only 8MB RAM, I think
>> because of the dirty ROM type that shipped with the Mac II (32
>> bit addressing is unavailable).
>
> I have 80 MB installed in my SE/30. : )

Nice. Lucky you. Mode32 software enabled to recognise more than 8MB of
the RAM. Your SE/30 is probably worth a packet now if it was to be sold
on ebay. The price for this still iconic Mac seems to continue to rise
and I imagine yours would be in excellent condition.

--
dee
0
Mike Dee <mikedee@emteedee.invalid> wrote:
> Jolly Roger wrote:

>>> Great.
>>>
>>> Its the same dirty ROM that I currently use with Mini vMac II ;)
>>>
>>> ... the MvM II variation supports up to only 8MB RAM, I think
>>> because of the dirty ROM type that shipped with the Mac II (32
>>> bit addressing is unavailable).
>>
>> I have 80 MB installed in my SE/30. : )
>
> Nice. Lucky you. Mode32 software enabled to recognise more than 8MB of
> the RAM. Your SE/30 is probably worth a packet now if it was to be sold
> on ebay. The price for this still iconic Mac seems to continue to rise
> and I imagine yours would be in excellent condition.

I admit it's in great condition; and I have four others in storage just for
spare parts! ; )

JR
0
Jolly
2/8/2016 6:29:05 AM
Jolly Roger wrote:

> Mike Dee <mikedee@emteedee.invalid> wrote:
>> Jolly Roger wrote:
[...]
>>> I have 80 MB installed in my SE/30. : )
>>
>> Nice. Lucky you. Mode32 software enabled to recognise more than
>> 8MB of the RAM. Your SE/30 is probably worth a packet now if it
>> was to be sold on ebay. The price for this still iconic Mac seems
>> to continue to rise and I imagine yours would be in excellent
>> condition.
>
> I admit it's in great condition; and I have four others in storage
> just for spare parts! ; )

You must be a gazzillionaire :-D

Very nice, JR, I wish I could be in the same league. I /had/ an SE/30
which I managed to kill (my fault & no spare parts).

I still have an SE FDHD, which I allowed a friend to borrow and it
(eventually) came home sadly flood damaged and corroded throughout. It
looks nice tho' if only as an inanimate piece of techno sculpture :)

My only 68k treasure left in good working order, is a Centris 660AV.

--
dee
0
Mike Dee <mikedee@emteedee.invalid> wrote:
> Jolly Roger wrote:
>
>> Mike Dee <mikedee@emteedee.invalid> wrote:
>>> Jolly Roger wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> Nice. Lucky you. Mode32 software enabled to recognise more than
>>> 8MB of the RAM. Your SE/30 is probably worth a packet now if it
>>> was to be sold on ebay. The price for this still iconic Mac seems
>>> to continue to rise and I imagine yours would be in excellent
>>> condition.
>>
>> I admit it's in great condition; and I have four others in storage
>> just for spare parts! ; )
>
> You must be a gazzillionaire :-D

I wish! I still slave for my money. Maybe one day...

> Very nice, JR, I wish I could be in the same league. I /had/ an SE/30
> which I managed to kill (my fault & no spare parts).

Rest in peace, little buddy!  : (

> I still have an SE FDHD, which I allowed a friend to borrow and it
> (eventually) came home sadly flood damaged and corroded throughout. It
> looks nice tho' if only as an inanimate piece of techno sculpture :)
>
> My only 68k treasure left in good working order, is a Centris 660AV.

I'm lucky to have held onto a bunch of my older Macs. Besides the several
Mac SE/30s, I've got a Mac SE FDHD, a Quadra 605, a beige PowerMac G3, and
an Apple Lisa with Macintosh XL conversion and a bunch of spare parts
including a motherboard, floppy drives, cables, etc, and an Apple ProFile
(10 MB, IIRC) external hard drive for it. The Lisa was gifted to me by a
coworker, and is in great condition and booted up without issue the last
time I took it out of the box a few years ago. I'm sure it's worth a pretty
penny, but I'm not interested in getting rid of it. I've owned (and gotten
rid of) a slew of other models.

Zippy, my Mac SE/30 was inherited from my father when he passed away. I
have it up and running occasionally. It was running 24/7 with a MacHTTP web
server and a web camera pointed at the screen for years. But after having
to replace the cooling fan twice, and a couple other components on the
power supply and video board, I decided to give it a well-deserved rest,
and imaged it to a 68k emulator running in OS X instead, which is running
in its place until I pull it out of the closet again:

<http://zippy.kicks-ass.org:9997>

JR
0
Jolly
2/9/2016 12:22:45 AM
Lewis wrote:

> In message <XnsA5A8611438DFFmikedee@emteedee.invalid>
>   Mike Dee <mikedee@emteedee.invalid> wrote:
>> Lewis wrote:
>
>>> A 1.44MB USB floppy drive cannot read 800K Mac floppies.
>
>> Your SE is a 1st generation 800k floppy drive only?
>
> Yep.

Then, image your Mac floppy media on the SE with Disk Copy 4.2 or
whatever works for you.  Compress the image[s] with StuffIt as ".sit"

Copy as many .sit archives as can fit onto a 720K DOS formatted DD
floppy disk (or split over multiple disks if necessary).

Modern Mac OS's & external USB floppy disk drives cannot read/write DD
800K Mac formatted floppy disks - but they can certainly read/write to
the same DD media if formatted as 720K DOS disks. Also, .sit files have
no resource fork to worry about (they'll survive the indignity of
travelling via DOS formatted media OK).

Take 720K disks to iMac, copy, extract and dump the disk images into a
running Mini vMac window. - Easy peasy.

All thats required is that USB floppy disk drive...

--
dee
0
  Mike Dee <mikedee@emteedee.invalid> wrote:
> Lewis wrote:

>> In message <XnsA5A8611438DFFmikedee@emteedee.invalid>
>>   Mike Dee <mikedee@emteedee.invalid> wrote:

>>> Your SE is a 1st generation 800k floppy drive only?
>>
>> Yep.

> Then, image your Mac floppy media on the SE with Disk Copy 4.2 or
> whatever works for you.  Compress the image[s] with StuffIt as ".sit"

> Copy as many .sit archives as can fit onto a 720K DOS formatted DD
> floppy disk (or split over multiple disks if necessary).

Will the SE's 800K drive do 720K disks?

> All thats required is that USB floppy disk drive...

I probably have one of those from about 18 years ago. Wonder if it
works?

--
Carlin's Third Commandment: Thou shall keep thy religion to thyself.
0
Lewis <g.kreme@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:

> In message <XnsA5A9941302CAAmikedee@emteedee.invalid>
>   Mike Dee <mikedee@emteedee.invalid> wrote:
> > Lewis wrote:

> >> Yep.
>
> > Then, image your Mac floppy media on the SE with Disk Copy 4.2 or
> > whatever works for you.  Compress the image[s] with StuffIt as ".sit"
>
> > Copy as many .sit archives as can fit onto a 720K DOS formatted DD
> > floppy disk (or split over multiple disks if necessary).
>
> Will the SE's 800K drive do 720K disks?

No. The IWM disk controller in an SE with an 800K drive only supports
the GCR encoding method used on 400K and 800K disks, not the MFM method
used on 720K and 1440K disks. The FDHD upgrade includes a replacement
SWIM disk controller which supports high density and MFM.

Furthermore, I expect the 800K drive mechanism used in the SE has
automatic adjustment of the rotation speed, like the external Apple 3.5
Drive of the same era (external Mac drive and the standard drive for the
Apple IIgs). 720K and 1440K formats use fixed rotation speed.

Early Mac 3.5" drives (400K) had variable rotation speed under control
of a timing signal from the computer, but that shifted to a built-in
mechanism around 1985, probably coinciding with the introduction of the
800K drive and the UniDisk 3.5 on the Apple II family, since the Apple
II didn't have the necessary hardware to supply the timing signal.

--
David Empson
dempson@actrix.gen.nz
  David Empson <dempson@actrix.gen.nz> wrote:
> Lewis <g.kreme@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:

>> In message <XnsA5A9941302CAAmikedee@emteedee.invalid>
>>   Mike Dee <mikedee@emteedee.invalid> wrote:

>> > Then, image your Mac floppy media on the SE with Disk Copy 4.2 or
>> > whatever works for you.  Compress the image[s] with StuffIt as ".sit"
>>
>> > Copy as many .sit archives as can fit onto a 720K DOS formatted DD
>> > floppy disk (or split over multiple disks if necessary).
>>
>> Will the SE's 800K drive do 720K disks?

> No. The IWM disk controller in an SE with an 800K drive only supports
> the GCR encoding method used on 400K and 800K disks, not the MFM method
> used on 720K and 1440K disks. The FDHD upgrade includes a replacement
> SWIM disk controller which supports high density and MFM.

Yeah, that's what I thought. So, still very hard to get data from Mac SE
to a modern machine. No Ethernet, no floppies, no hard drives...

--
Behind every great man there's a woman with a vibrator -- Hawkeye Pierce
0

----------------15192882441456957332

Here you go...

https://happymacs.wordpress.com/2015/05/15/sheepshavers-and-chubby-bunnies-the-weird-and-wonderful-world-of-classic-on-intel/

and files:
http://jon.brazoslink.net/jlg/COIV4.0.1+.zip

On 2016-02-02 20:37:51 +0000, Lewis said:

> In message <1mhzka4.fgbex4pxer4mN%csampson@inetworld.net>
>   Charles H. Sampson <csampson@inetworld.net> wrote:
>> Is there an application for funning OS 9 applications on OS X 10.6?
>
> Assuming that is a tyop for running, no. Assuming OS 9 is ios 9 You
> can't even run them in an emulator in XCode on 10.6 (which is six year
> old OS). If you meant Mac OS 9, then largely no.
>
>> A Google search has informed me of something called SheepShaver but
>> the big thrust is for running it on Mavericks and its emulating
>> PC/Windows.  I've been unable to find a home site to get more
>> information.
>
> You can't find a site for Sheepshaver? Did you look?
>
> <http://bfy.tw/43ON>
>
> Sheepshaver often works, but sometimes does not. The current Mac build
> runs on OS X 10.4 through 10.9.

----------------15192882441456957332

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
<head>
<title></title>
p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; line-height: 15.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica}
p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; line-height: 15.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; min-height: 14.0px}
p.p3 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 12.0px; line-height: 14.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: #011892}
p.p4 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 24.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: #008e00}
p.p5 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 12.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: #011892; min-height: 14.0px}
p.p6 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 12.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: #011892}
p.p7 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: #000000; min-height: 14.0px}
</head>
----------------15192882441456957332--

0
aliosa27

Your Mac won't start up in Mac OS X (Mac OS X 10.3.9 or earlier)
Your Mac won't start up in Mac OS X (Mac OS X 10.3.9 or earlier) Nothing can be more frustrating than turning on your Mac only to find that it won't start up. Instead of seeing the Finder, you see a blue or gray screen, an icon of a broken folder, a kernel panic, a flashing question mark, or a computer that just sits there. What can you do? Don't worry. It could be a simple issue that you can fix yourself. Note: This article applies to Mac OS X 10.3.9 or earlier. Tip: If your computer won't start at all, skip to "You see a blank, gray screen" below. The first step ...

Hi. Someone told me that Mac OS X 10.7.x and 10.8.x do not come with iLife like the older Mac OS X versions (e.g., 10.5.x). I did not know this! Since my client uses iPhoto that came preinstalled on his old 2008 MacBook Pro's Mac OS X 10.5.x (10.5.8 right now), can he use the old one from 10.5.8? Or will he need a third party replacement (needs to import/copy the old image files) or buy a new iPhoto version for his photo(graph)s? I recalled he did not like iPhoto and wonder if the new one is any better. Thank you in advance. :) -- Quote of the Week: "Every ruler...

Mac OS 9.x included in Mac OS X?
Hi, I read that Mac OS X has a so-called classic mode which emulates Mac OS 9.x so that older applications can still be run. Provided one is not an upgrader from Mac OS 9.x, does Mac OS X include Mac OS 9.x required for the classic mode or does it have to be bought separately? Peter >Provided one is not an upgrader from Mac OS 9.x, does Mac OS X include >Mac OS 9.x required for the classic mode or does it have to be bought >separately? If you buy the installer for OS X it *does not* include OS 9. You generally use the copy of OS 9 that came with your computer in order to install C...

Recent Articles,, * Amazon offering Mac OS X Snow Leopard Family Pack for $36.49, * Apple Releases Mac OS X 10.6.1, the first update to the Snow Leopard operating system, * Gartner: Exchange
http://switchtoamac.com/site/survey-indicates-that-50-of-us-it-pros-are-considering-abandoning-windows-likely-to-switch-to-apples-mac-os-x.html http://tinyurl.com/ybrbgek A June 12, 2009 CNNMoney.com article titled 'Can Windows 7 save PCs?", David Goldman writes about Microsoft's upcoming Windows 7 operating system. The article discusses the PC slump and highlights a March survey conducted by Dimension Research that indicates that 50% of respondents are likely to dump Windows in favor of Apple's Mac OS X operating system. Noteworthy quotes form the article ...

Mac OS X Kerberos Extras updated for Mac OS X 10.3

Mac OS X 1.0 x86 and Mac OS X 10.4 x86
I wonder of OS X on Intel runs binaries made for Mac OS X Server 1.0 or earlier x86 versions of NEXTSTEP... There should be some interesting error messages to find. I'll try it out with OmniWeb 3 one day... -- Andrew J. Brehm Marx Brothers Fan PowerPC/Macintosh User Supporter of Chicken Sandwiches In article <1gxrpng.qcld42zk38uoN%ajbrehm@gmail.com>, ajbrehm@gmail.com (Andrew J. Brehm) wrote: > I wonder of OS X on Intel runs binaries made for Mac OS X Server 1.0 or > earlier x86 versions of NEXTSTEP... > > There should be some interesting error messages to find. &...

Mac OS X fonts in Mac OS 9
Dear all, Is it possible to use MacOS X fonts in the classic environment? What's the procedure if it is ... Cheers! In article <3bef037b.0411010152.7625d932@posting.google.com>, davidol@hushmail.com (David) wrote: > Is it possible to use MacOS X fonts in the classic environment? > What's the procedure if it is ... No problem: a) TrueType fonts (.ttf - the vast majority) can simply be *moved* to the fonts folder in your Classic system folder. b) OpenType fonts (.otf) can be placed there as well but require Adobe Type Manager Light to work: <http://www.adobe....

Mac os 9 Vs. Mac os X
I am porting some windows software to mac os 9. My client has only mac os 9. I would like to use the URLAccessLib for my development. I find no documentation of it on Apple websites as if mac os 9 has fallen off the earth for them. The apple site says One can develop on mac os x and it is backward compatible. What does this mean ? When I install my code on mac os 9 will I need all the mac os x libraries ? can someone throw somelight ? Thanks On 21 Nov 2003, dharmesh wrote: > I am porting some windows software to mac os 9. My client has only mac > os 9. I would like to...

Mac os 9 Vs. Mac os X
I am porting some windows software to mac os 9. My client has only mac os 9. I would like to use the URLAccessLib for my development. I find no documentation of it on Apple websites as if mac os 9 has fallen off the earth for them. The apple site says One can develop on mac os x and it is backward compatible. What does this mean ? When I install my code on mac os 9 will I need all the mac os x libraries ? can someone throw somelight ? Thanks >The apple site says One can develop on mac os x and it is backward >compatible. What does this mean ? When I install my code on mac os 9 >wi...

54g Wireless
Hi there, I have two apple laptops coming into our work network - one is an oldish IBook with an original Airport card which supports 64bit WEP and the other is a brand new IBook with 128bit WEP security. Our wireless network router is a belkin but only allows us to set 64 bit OR 128 bit - is there anyway of allowing either of these computers onto the network whilst securing it? Thanks Wesley Blue Wezza <blue-wezza@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote: > I have two apple laptops coming into our work network - one is an oldish > IBook with an original Airport card which supports 64bit W...

Hi all, Yet another Graphviz version. The old application icon had been voted off the island, and brand new application and document icons flown in for the task. Comprehensive help features in this version too. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ What's new: ------------ Added new application and document icons. Added comprehensive help. Fixed changes not affecting graph size displaying incorrectly [BTr]. Fixed export then close crashing the export of an open window. Improved shadowed frame for graph [NRi]. Improved status display [NRi]. Changed sources to pure BSD license. Cheers, Gl...

[ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.13 (v13) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8)
Dear All, I've just released the newest version of Mac Graphviz, featuring shapefile support and enhanced zoom. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ Shapefiles supported include PDF, EPS, PS, JPEG, PNG and all Quicktime formats. Either specify an absolute or relative (to working directory) file path, or a URL using the shapefile attribute. Developers can now also use the graphviz.framework directly with #include headers in C e.g. using Xcode "Add Frameworks..."; documentation is available from the main Graphviz site -- http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/graphviz/libguide.pdf...

[ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8) [ANN] Graphviz for Mac OS X 1.12 (v8)
Hi all, It's been a busy week or two at Pixelglow Software. Here's a brand new version of Graphviz, all spit and polish now. You'll enjoy the integrated color and font panel support, hand cursor panning and remembered settings. And everyone's most asked for -- a single click on the Edit tool will now bring up the DOT code for you to edit, and of course when you save it the graph automatically re-renders. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/download/ Here's the lowdown: Added edit, render and stop toolbar items [PCh]. Added integrated font and color fields and panels. Adde...

Dear All: Them pesky bugs. A few more squashed courtesy of the sleepy pixel. http://www.pixelglow.com/graphviz/ What's new in v11 ------------ Fixed some comprehensive help [NRi]. Fixed scale option placeholder [NRi]. Improved application and document icons. Example files now double-click to open in application. What's new in v12 ------------ Added layout option tooltips [NRi]. Fixed layout popup button changing wrong graph [MKe]. Clicking on warning icon now opens Activity window [NRi, AM]. Revert menu item now disabled. Cheers, Glen Low --- pixelglow software | simply brillian...

Web resources about - OS 9 Emulator on OS X 10.6 - comp.sys.mac.apps

Emulator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about emulators in computing . For a line of digital musical instruments, see E-mu Emulator . For the Transformers character, ...

Spectaculator, ZX Spectrum Emulator on the App Store on iTunes
Get Spectaculator, ZX Spectrum Emulator on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

iPod Mini plays Pokémon Red via Gameboy Colour Emulator (iBoy, iPod Linux) - YouTube
Lots of people nowadays are playing Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, and Gameboy Advance games on their new iPod touch, iPhones, or iPads via emulators, ...

Nintendo patent hints at official Game Boy emulator for mobile phones
... filed by Nintendo that shows the company is interested in bringing Game Boy titles to mobile devices through emulation technology. Many emulators ...

Opinion: As Nintendo ponders iOS, it’s time for Mac console game emulators to shine
... years, Macs and PCs have been able to run thousands of classic console and arcade games, including Nintendo’s best-known titles, using emulators ...

BlueStacks Android emulator lets you use apps on your PC
A new Windows PC program has just hit beta testing that allows Android users to fire up apps on their computers, even the ones they’ve already ...

Apps of the Week: Pocket Trains, My Wendy's, DraStic DS Emulator and more!
Another week, another great set of app picks from the folks here at Android Central.

Android L 64-bit emulator finally out, only for Intel x86
From Google I/O 2014, we were treated to a preview of Android next OS releases, now known popularly as Android L. Android head honcho Sundar ...

PlayStation Portable Emulator PPSSPP Version 1.0 Now Available On The Play Store
There's a huge emulator community on Android, helped in no small part by the fact that modern smartphones can handle older game console software ...