PackageMaker not installing my app

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

OK I've solved one problem in PackageMaker 3.0.1 only to end up with
another one for another package.  I have an application, it's actually
a customized Mozilla browser. It's nothing special, it runs when you
double-click it.  I can manually drag it to the Applications folder
just fine and it will run from there.  I've tried creating a package
installer that does one simple thing, copies my app to the /
Applications directory.  I changed the permissions to rwxrwxr-x,
chown'ed the owner to root, and group to admin per tutorials on
PackageMaker. So I build the package... When I
run it and it supposedly installs (no errors), the application is not
in my /Applications directory.  I saw the installation bar
progressing, my package is 26 MB so it obviously has my app in it.
Anyone have any ideas why my application isn't getting copied to the /
Applications folder?  My destination is /Applications/My App.app and
this is probably the most simple type of install one can do.
0
Reply mattdorais 5/2/2008 5:24:12 PM

See related articles to this posting

Hello. It also happened to me.

I even removed a receipt file and deleted from the receipt DB suing
pkgutil --forget <the-id>

what is worse is that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
With an installer file which works, it works, With an installer file
which doesn't work, it doesn't work.
They are made in the same way. I think this is a bug, and reported it
today.

Let's hope that they would answer and fix.

P.S. By the way, why the documentation on the PackageMaker and itself
are not good is because not so many people use it.
Most Mac apps are installed by simple drag-and-drop. So, I guess it is
less exposed to be tested, and it may answer why there are some pretty
popular 3rd party installer makers.

On May 2, 10:24=A0am, "mattdor...@gmail.com" <mattdor...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> OK I've solved one problem in PackageMaker 3.0.1 only to end up with
> another one for another package. =A0I have an application, it's actually
> a customized Mozilla browser. It's nothing special, it runs when you
> double-click it. =A0I can manually drag it to the Applications folder
> just fine and it will run from there. =A0I've tried creating a package
> installer that does one simple thing, copies my app to the /
> Applications directory. =A0I changed the permissions to rwxrwxr-x,
> chown'ed the owner to root, and group to admin per tutorials on
> PackageMaker. So I build the package... When I
> run it and it supposedly installs (no errors), the application is not
> in my /Applications directory. =A0I saw the installation bar
> progressing, my package is 26 MB so it obviously has my app in it.
> Anyone have any ideas why my application isn't getting copied to the /
> Applications folder? =A0My destination is /Applications/My App.app and
> this is probably the most simple type of install one can do.

0
Reply JongAm 6/30/2008 9:11:59 PM
comp.sys.mac.apps 20948 articles. 24 followers. Post

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Why/when would app installer require quitting all apps?
Greetings! I just had the experience of running an installer for a new app, TurboTax 2003, which notified me that it required that all other apps quit. I'm running OS X 10.3.2, and as usual under OS X, all kinds of things are going on with my computer, and it wasn't convenient to quit everything. But this brings up a question: why on EARTH would an app like this want to quit all other running apps? Isn't this contrary to the spirit of OS X? I can understand that if I install an OS update, well, I have to restart. But why would a normal app do this? My hypothesis is that it...

setup program of an app believes this app is already installed
Weird subject line, my apologies, but the only accurate one I could think of. I am using MS Windows XP Home Edition (Version 2002). I previously had the game "Etherlords" installed, but this installation didn't went well. So I want to install it again. First I tried to deinstall the previous installation. Unfortunately, because this installation was broken, the deinstallation procedure also did not work. So I tried to simply overwrite the previous installation by calling the setup program again. Unfortunately this setup program wants to be "smart": it d...

suse 9.1
I have suse prof 9.1 and wine seems to be on the machine as part of the standard installation of suse - I use yast (setup tool in suse) to find and install wine, and when found, it indicates wine is already installed. Out of curiosity I did (on my dual boot pc) use a terminal to do: wine /windows/C/WINDOWS/NOTEPAD.EXE and notepad ran! (the win partition is mounted as C [ntfs] so I did not proceed further) However, I cannot see wine mentioned in the user home directory, so I guess something still needs to be done? -- AC AC adjusted his/her tin foil beanie and asbestos underwe...

Question about installing my app with Wise Installation System 5.0g
I have been using my licensed copy of Wise Installation System version 5.0g for years. Only yesterday did I discover that when "Replace Existing File" is set to "Never" (on the Install Files from Installation Executable screen), the Install.log following installation still says it is overwriting the file in question. The particular file is the VB runtime MSVBVM60.DLL I do not want to install this file if it already exists. My application functions with ANY version of this DLL, so as long as it is present, my app will work. And so I have set the option to "Never"...

Installed apps
I posted a request on here a few weeks ago for some help in getting a list of installed applications on a Windows 2000 PC using VB6. I got a reply back showing how to query the uninstall list which was superb and did exactly what I wanted. I now have a need to expand that a bit and provide the last date used for these applications as is displayed in Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs. Any ideas/pointers? Many thanks, Mark ...

Where to install apps?
This is something about Linux that has always confused me. In which directory should one install applications? Is there a standard location? Thanks. "Hiawatha Bray" <watha@monitortan.com> wrote in message news:CgQZb.73216$IF1.67124@nwrdny03.gnilink.net > This is something about Linux that has always confused me. In which > directory should one install applications? Is there a standard > location? Thanks. Look at section 17.2 of http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer/book/index.html.gz tony -- use hotmail for any email replies -----= Posted...

Installing apps
Is the only way to install and application through HotSync or can it be done via an expansion card? Tungsten C paul davies wrote: > Is the only way to install and application through HotSync or can it be done > via an expansion card? If you have an SD Card reader, you can write them to the /Palm/Launcher directory of the SD Card and you'll be able to launch them straight from there. If you want, you can use the launcher to copy and application from SD Card into the handheld. Just use "Copy" from the menu. Once you've done that, you can select "...

Setting up an installer to install a VB app on an NT Server 4.0
Hi All I've always hated the package & deployment installer that comes with VB 6 Enterprise, so I'm looking to use the Inno installer instead. However my problems are as follows: 1) I have created a small app that to me only use the INET control and the FileSystemObject reference. My idea was to package the app using the standard pants package and then pull the files out that it packages for my own installer. Is this an OK method? 2) Apart from the above controls that I have just mentioned, will I need to package the VB run time file(s) for the NT 4.0 Server - Service Pack 5 ...

save all settings (desktop, modem/isp, mail, installed apps, "Linux base-installation" )
Hi, I am new to Linux(at the moment i am experimenting with Knoppix) Is there a way to save all settings (desktop, modem/isp, mail, installed apps, "Linux base-installation") ? The purpose of that procedure is that after restoring the known-good baseline hd-image(e.g. taken after the installation of Linux), i would like to be able to "restore/apply" these "system-changes" without the need to configure the system manually. Or are there better approaches? Cheers, John linux55@bluemail.ch (john) wrote in message news:<52d95eb6.0311100129.33fcbd8e@postin...

Installing Apps 11.5.10 & copying data/migrating from Apps 11.5.7 to 11.5.10
1. This is about installing 11i Apps 11.5.10 on Win 2000. We are attempting to load Vision in order to see the default settings, etc. for our migration from 11.5.7. After installation we installed and entered sysadmin on logon page, received message of "insufficient privileges" - any suggestions ? 2. On our production box we are at 11.5.7 (Oracle Financials), preparing to upgrade to 11.5.10. We have been unable to find documentation or other customers migrating up or even documentation on metalink. One major concern is migrating all our production data, settings, etc. to work o...

install Terminal.app
We have a mac which (for reasons that are a mystery to me, but various people who don't know much about computers have had admin access on that machine) is missing Terminal.app. It is running 10.3, and we have the install disks. What I'm wondering is: is there a way to install Terminal without reinstalling the whole OS? Thanks! Doug Anderson wrote: > We have a mac which (for reasons that are a mystery to me, but various > people who don't know much about computers have had admin access on > that machine) is missing Terminal.app. It is running 10.3, and we > have ...

How To Install App With Same Name
Using OS 10.6.2. How does one install a new version of an application with the same name of an already installed version? I don't want to replace the old version. Tempuser wrote: > Using OS 10.6.2. How does one install a new version of an application > with the same name of an already installed version? I don't want to > replace the old version. Put the old one in a different directory. -- Wes Groleau Fuggedaboudit ! http://Ideas.Lang-Learn.us/WWW?itemid=91 In article <hfp95t$bqh$2@news.eternal-september.org>, Wes Groleau <Groleau+news@...

Get installed app
Hi, I want to write an app but I'm not sure if I should use Java. The app is a crossed platform. My questions: 1.Can Java return me the name/position of install app on the OS it supports? 2. Does Java supports the following OS: Unix/GTK+ , Unix/Motif and X11 , Mac OS , MGL and OS/2 ? TIA. Eran > 2. Does Java supports the following OS: > Unix/GTK+ , Unix/Motif and X11 , Mac OS , MGL and OS/2 ? OS/2 ? Is your boss telling you your app has to support this? MGL? What's that? The Java platform runs on all modern OSes... UNIX/Win32/Mac, and plenty more. Full list can be found on...

App install on HP48+
Hi, I am a new user of HP48+. I have a problem installing the Conic Plotter app from hpcalc.org: http://www.hpcalc.org/details.php?id=696 Here is the list of files in the zip: CONCIR00.000 CONHYP00.000 CONPAR00.000 CONSV000.000 CONELL00.000 CONICPLO.000 CONSF000.000 HP38DIR.000 CONEV000.000 CONST000.000 HP38DIR.CUR Transferring these files to the calc results in an error message that they don't contain valid programs. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance. Boris If you look on that link you gave me, you will see a section named "Platform". Then ...

Java app installer
Looking for a (ideally) freeware installer for my applications so the user can just hit "Install" and they get put in the correct folders (XP) with desktop icons associated. Nothing complex required - no registry stuff etc. -- Dirk http://www.transcendence.me.uk/ - Transcendence UK http://www.theconsensus.org/ - A UK political party http://www.blogtalkradio.com/onetribe - Occult Talk Show Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote: > Looking for a (ideally) freeware installer for my applications so the > user can just hit "Install" and they get put in the correct folders (XP...

Access App Installers
Hello All. I am looking for ome input on alternatives to the Access Package and Deployment wizard, not that it is bad but it is not meeting our needs. So any input would be great. Thanks Art "Art Chadbourne" <art@chadbourne.net> wrote: >I am looking for ome input on alternatives to the Access Package and >Deployment wizard, not that it is bad but it is not meeting our needs. So >any input would be great. Microsoft Access (Office) Developer Edition FAQ http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/developereditionfaq.htm Tony -- Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP Please resp...

stopping apps being installed
Every time I download and install an app on the iPad, the same app gets downloaded and installed on my iPod. Now my iPod is completely filled with apps as it has less memory than the iPad. Is there a way of stopping this from happening? Far as I know the apps are being downloaded to the iPod via WiFi. If I delete the apps from my iPod then will this have a unwanted effect of deleting them from my iPad? -- Regards Brian In article <2083805602402403572.133703bclark-es.co.nz@free.teranews.com>, Brian <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote: > Every time I download and install an ...

Creating an installer app?
Hi, I need to create a simple installer app to copy files to, probably, the Applications folder. I'm worried about permissions, what happens if the user doesn't have permission? How do I handle it gracefully? And how do I prompt and handle it if the user knows the administrator password? (only for MacOSX, not Win) I've looked through the sample code but can't find an installer app. Any help appreciated, thanks Paul there are several Free & good installer for Windows.. don't know for Mac. here is one : http://www.agentix.org/utilities/AGIns...

Installer for Java app
Hello, I'm developing a Java app which will need to be installed by a non-computer expert at severla remote locations (commercial). I've dug around and am looking for either a free/cheap installer for Java based apps or some decent documentation on how to fire up ActiveSync to do the job for me (google searches get blogged out by comments on eVB/.NET CF). Does anyone have any advice as to a suitable solution? Thanks, in advance for you help. Cheers, Neil I Zero G used to have a free version of InstallAnywhere, but I can't find the download anymore ...

Installing apps #2
When I install an application on my Treo 650 does it get installed in the internal memory or on the memory card? And if I installed an app before I had a memory card, obviously it's in the internal memory. Is there any way to move it to the memory card? TIA I use InWatch (www.stacworks.com) to install all apps to my Treo 600, then move to the SD using PowerRUN. (www.simple-palm.com). I couldn't be without InWatch now, cos I try out alot of apps and I hate getting left with extra files the uninstallers don't remove and with PowerRUN you have a shortcut installed on t...

palm install app
I am a returning Palm user after a rather long period. I recall being able to install apps without sync-ing. Anyone know where I can download an application (preferably free) which offers this feature? Thanks. Gabe PS>Using a Clie T665 (PalmOS 4) On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 13:32:50 -0500, Gabe P said... > I am a returning Palm user after a rather long period. I recall being > able to install apps without sync-ing. Anyone know where I can > download an application (preferably free) which offers this feature? > Thanks. > > Gabe > > PS>Using a Clie ...

How to install a VB app?
I'm trying to install an application created with MS Visual Basic. When I launch the installaton app, I get this error: "The system could not locate the file:"E:\msftqws.pdw\ST6UNST.EXE, would you like to browse for the file yourself?" When I browse for the file, it isn't on the HD. I Googled for the file and found that it's the uninstall app for VB, so I installed the VB runtime, but I still get the error. How do you get VB apps to install and run? You need the visual basic runtime dll(s). You can download them by typing "visual basic runt...

Help to install an app
I'm trying to install an app developed for Windows. When I tried to install the first time wine output asked for 3 different dll files. MFC42.dll MSVCP60.dll and SFBusiness.dll I downloaded MFC42.dll and MSVCP60.dll and put them in windows/ system32. Same for SFBusiness.dll (altough is a dll from the program I'm trying to install, so I copied from there). And then I rerun the installer. The wine output is this: metaverso@oficina:~/.wine/drive_c/SFNet.W32$ wine SFInstaller.exe metaverso@oficina:~/.wine/drive_c/SFNet.W32$ wine: Unhandled page fault on read access...