Persistant Junk Mail in Mail.app

I use Mail.app for emaii. Mail.app includes a Bayesian filter which is
supposed to "learn" the characteristics of a particular mail designated
by me as junk and will eventually automatically move mail with the
learned characteristics to the junk mail list. This seems to usually
work but there are a few exceptions. My assumption is that the senders
of those emails have somehow done something to bypass the junk filter.
I'm curious as to what that could be. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

--
James Leo Ryan - Austin, Texas

In article <atnt47Fk1v3U1@mid.individual.net>,
 TaliesinSoft <taliesinsoft@me.com> wrote:

> I use Mail.app for emaii. Mail.app includes a Bayesian filter which is
> supposed to "learn" the characteristics of a particular mail designated
> by me as junk and will eventually automatically move mail with the
> learned characteristics to the junk mail list. This seems to usually
> work but there are a few exceptions. My assumption is that the senders
> of those emails have somehow done something to bypass the junk filter.
> I'm curious as to what that could be. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Take a look at the message source, and you'll probably see loads of
random phrases that are hidden in HTML.  I think this stuff tends to
thwart the Bayesian filters.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

Junk mail handling problems in Mail.app
Since upgrading to Panther I have encountered trouble getting junk mail handling to work properly. I don't know whether its a bug in "Mail" or a local problem. What happens is this. If the Preferences are set to "When Junk Mail arrives -- Move it to the Junk mailbox (Automatic)" the Junk mail Icon (in the Mailboxes drawer) increments up as Junk messages arrive. The number of messages is shown alongside the Icon. However, when the Icon is selected none of these messages are listed in the main window. Looking in ~/Library/Mail/Junk/ there is a file named 'Inco...

Mac mail app problems sending mail??
Sometimes when I send email I get an error message stating it will remain in outbox blah, blah, blah. It also says "Verify that you have addressed this message correctly. Check you SMTP server settings in Mail Preferences and verify and advanced settings with your system administrator." Now... when I go to Mail> Preferences> Accounts, I change the server settings and set authentication to Password. Once I enter password and whatnot, the mail gets sent. Sounds like the problems fixed but......... In a few more days, I get the error message again. This time I set the authenticati...

Mail.app thinks incoming fax is junk mail
This is not really a problem, but it did give me a chuckle today. :) I needed to receive a fax over my eMac (Remember fax? Those analog doucument senders? Remember analog? :P ) So I opened the Fax prefs and turned on Receiving Faxes. I also clicked the "Email to:" box and entered my email address. The fax was received without a problem, it was saved in the location I had specified and a copy was received in my Mail.app inbox. Mail.app flagged it as junk mail. :) -- K. Lang may your lum reek. In article <WMHdh.19864$YV4.17582@edtnps89>, me@home.spamsucks.ca (Ki...

Mac mail.app to iPod touch mail transfer
Running a MacBook with 10.6.5 and a 3rd gen iPod touch with 4.2.1. Without getting into long explanations, I cannot have wifi in my house, and it would be most convenient to write my emails on my Mac, transfer them to my iPod, and send them out from a public hot spot in town. I have been doing this by writing the mails in mail.app>notes, syncing the ipod, then copy and pasting from ipod notes to ipod mail. I have airsharing and goodreader and probably could use them also. But is there a more convenient way like an app at the iTunes store that would directly transfer from mail/Ma...

Jaguar Mail.app: Where does it store junk mail training info?
Hi, I just upgraded from Jaguar to Panther (reformatted) and all my accounts and mail were restored fine. However, all my junk mail training seems to have been forgotten. What file is it stored in, so I can restore it from my backup? Thanks, -Will ...

mail.app does not fetch mail
Hi: For the last four days mail.app has refused to fetch any mail from my pop account. As far as I know, I have made no changes to my system or the mail app. I know I have new mail because I can access my mail via pine on the shell account at the isp. Mail tries, it logs on, checks password successfully, then spends a little too long on "checking for messages" and finds none. I've not tried any other methods of checking my email as none of the mailers I have around seem to support ssl. Any help greatly appreciated! Eric In article <250120041742285724%UNericfiveSPAM@onl...

Editing mail in Mail.app
I asked this a long time ago and there wasn't a way to do it. Is there a way yet? Sometimes I want to save just part of a mail item and I want to remove all the clutter. This is easy in Windows. I don't know why it is seemingly impossible in OS X. -- Robert B. Peirce, Venetia, PA 724-941-6883 bob AT peirce-family.com [Mac] rbp AT cooksonpeirce.com [Office] In article <bob-F86E3E.15561610022008@news.verizon.net>, Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com.invalid> wrote: > I asked this a long time ago and there wasn't a way to do it. Is there > a way yet?...

Netscape mail in Mail.app?
I acquired one of those free netscape.net email addresses way back when Netscape was my primary browser. Unless I'm mistaken, Netscape (the company) makes sure their mail program is only accessible throug either Netscape (the browser) or Netscape's (the company) web site. (Mail.app can't connect to imap.mail.netcenter.com no matter what settings I tweak.) I just noticed that httpmail plugin, which allows Hotmail users to access their mail through Mail.app has been updated. One of the comments in MacUpdate asks whether the plugin could be hacked to receive Netscape mail. As of a fe...

Archiving mail from mail.app
I need to save just every mail I receive and be able to search the archive. Mail.app's search capabilities are pathetic at best. I've searched around and found some AppleScript's that do some manner of import into FileMaker database, but they are limited in file size and capability to deal with attachments. I currently create new mailboxes with old mail to keep the mailbox from growing too huge, but am still stuck with poor search features. Otherwise, I am quite happy with Mail.app (Jaguar) and prefer to keep it. Does anyone have practical solutions for dealing with large ...

Vacation mail with mail.app
Here is a script I wrote for vacation notices; it will send the notice only once to each person you receive mail from. I suggest running it after any rules to file mailing list items into folders, so that it doesn't send vacation mail notices to the lists. The actual notice is sent by the rule; the script is what keeps the rule from sending more than one notice to any given address. First set up an address-book group named "Vacation" Then set up a rule with the criterion "If sender is not a member of group Vacation" Set up the actions Reply to Message Run App...

Dupe Mail in Mail.app
For a couple of months now, almost every email I get arrives in groups of two. Identical email. Any idea why this might be? -- Thank you and have a nice day. In article <2007010216231775249-xxx@yyyzzz>, gtr <xxx@yyy.zzz> wrote: > For a couple of months now, almost every email I get arrives in groups > of two. Identical email. > > Any idea why this might be? Might be an ISP issue. Contact your ISP for assistance. In article <2007010216231775249-xxx@yyyzzz>, gtr <xxx@yyy.zzz> wrote: > For a couple of months now, almost every email I get arrives...

Mail Merge to Mail.app?
I can do mail merge with MS Word/Entourage, but I haven't yet found a way to merge to mail.app. Is there a way to do mail merge to mail.app? In article <vikr-819ADF.13453731102006@news.west.earthlink.net>, Vik Rubenfeld <vikr@mindspring.com.invalid> wrote: > I can do mail merge with MS Word/Entourage, but I haven't yet found a > way to merge to mail.app. > > Is there a way to do mail merge to mail.app? Probably with an Applescript. -- Stop Mad Cowboy Disease: Impeach the son of a Bush. ...

Mail.app
I lost some mail today. I had dragged a couple of folders to a new location. When I looked in the folders, it appeared the mail was there but everything was empty. I tried rebuilding the folders and the headers disappeared as well. At that point I was pretty desperate. Most of the mail was from today and would not be on my backup. I restarted the computer and rebuilt the folders again. Low-and-behold, most of the mail came back but not all of it and I am still missing a couple of items I can not afford to lose. So, what did I do, so I can avoid doing it again? How can ...

Mail.app Mailing List?
Does the OS X mail.app have a mailing list about and if so, where can I find it?? -- Bob Batson rcb@kc.rr.com "Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines" Bob Batson wrote: > Does the OS X mail.app have a mailing list about and if so, where can I > find it?? > Not sure if it's what your asking, but the Address Book application allows you to create mailing lists, and there's lots of information in the Address Book Help file. Once you've created the list, you can select it and use it in the Mail application. In article <rcYye...

"Apple's Mail apps" Unable to view Junk Mail
Hi, Using Apple's Mail Apps, I am unable to view 187 junk mail messages. I've double clicked on the Junk Folder icon, and waited 30 minutes with no response. How does one "fix" the problem. Thanks in advance, Duane in Hillman dkhowe@gmail.com <dkhowe@gmail.com> wrote: > Using Apple's Mail Apps, I am unable to view 187 junk mail messages. > I've double clicked on the Junk Folder icon, and waited 30 minutes with > no response. > > How does one "fix" the problem. Isn't the very concept of the Junk folder that you should NOT wa...

Mail app and junk
I seem to be getting a lot of email with headings similar to: ****SPAM:14.5**** A lot of mail has the heading as above, with the only thing different being the number and decimal after the colon. I'm rather puzzled as to who is identifying the mail as Spam, and why Mail app won't delete it as per the spam filters I've installed. Peter -- - The e-mail address obviously doesn't exist. If it's essential that you contact me then try peterATpfjamesDOTcoDOTuk Peter James <pfj@doesn't.exist.com> wrote: > I seem to be getting a lot of email with headings similar to: > > ****SPAM:14.5**** > A lot of mail has the heading as above, with the only thing different > being the number and decimal after the colon. > > I'm rather puzzled as to who is identifying the mail as Spam, and why > Mail app won't delete it as per the spam filters I've installed. > > Peter I should have added to the OP the fact that if I right click on the subject header and then click on "Apply Rules" the message is deleted. If the rule exists then why doesn't Apple Mail app delete it upon receipt? Peter -- - The e-mail address obviously doesn't exist. If it's essential that you contact me then try peterATpfjamesDOTcoDOTuk On 25/02/14 09:24, Peter James wrote: > Peter James <pfj@doesn't.exist.com> wrote: > >> I seem to be getting a lot of email wi...

Mac Mail app
I'm sure I am probably missing something but I am new to the Mac, so help would be appreciated. The Mac's on board mail client, why is the text size so small on some incoming mail? It is not on all mail so presumably the senders settings have an impact although I would have thought that Mac Mail would have over-ridden these with local settings. Thanks Colin Countryman wrote: > I'm sure I am probably missing something but I am new to the Mac, so help > would be appreciated. > > The Mac's on board mail client, why is the text size so small on some > inco...

Is there a mail box limit in mail.app?
I am running 2.1.3 (753.1) on OS X 10.4.11. I added some mailboxes and now I can't put anything into them. I can't even move mail form one of these mailboxes to another. The older mailboxes still seem to work fine, but new ones don't. I am not sure how many mailboxes I have, but it occurred to me there might be a limit. -- Robert B. Peirce, Venetia, PA 724-941-6883 bob AT peirce-family.com [Mac] rbp AT cooksonpeirce.com [Office] In article <bob-B2B379.14081025022009@[199.45.49.11]>, Robert Peirce <bob@peirce-family.com.invalid> wrote: > I am running 2....

Mail client app for Google mail?
My workplace uses Google Mail and everyone I know of uses the online Google Mail client, which lots of folks don't particularly like. I tried Thunderbird on my MacBook Pro; it doesn't work with Google mail. Our IT folks discourage the use of the Apple Mail app. What alternative app would work? -- _____________________________ Ron, the humblest guy in town On 2013-09-13 23:33:31 +0000, Ron said: > My workplace uses Google Mail and everyone I know of uses the online > Google Mail client, which lots of folks don't particularly like. I tried > Thunderbird on my MacBook Pro; it doesn't work with Google mail. Our IT > folks discourage the use of the Apple Mail app. What alternative app > would work? Thunderbird works great on the MacBook Pro with gmail. I have not idea what you mean about it not working. It by default does just what is intended with imap mail. Apple Mail is a bit hokey however and deleted files go to all mail in the iMap folders. I use Thunderbird fairly exclusivly for gmail on my Mac. In message <1l959v1.r5pb2fq8kaq6N%RonTheGuy@null.invalid> Ron <RonTheGuy@null.invalid> wrote: > Our IT > folks discourage the use of the Apple Mail app. Do they have a reason, or are they just gibbering morons? > What alternative app would work? Any mail app that supports IMAP should *work* with gmail. Mail.app is the best one though. -- Humans are always slightly lost. It...

Mail.app : How to forward mail as attachment?
I have Mac OSX 10.4 and Mail 2.1.1. Is it possible to forward an email as attachment? Right now, "Message| Forward" only forwards an inline copy of the mail (which is actually what I want most of the time, but occasionally I would like to forward the mail as attachment instead). If this can't be done with Mail.app, can one recommend another good mail client for the Mac? Ronald In article <f5c6f6b5-f9be-4fd7-a6b1-5d1fceeeddfe@1g2000hsl.googlegroups.com>, RonaldOttoValentinFischer <ro.naldfi.scher@gmail.com> wrote: > I have Mac OSX 10.4 and Mail 2.1.1. > > Is it possible to forward an email as attachment? Right now, "Message| > Forward" only forwards > an inline copy of the mail (which is actually what I want most of the > time, but occasionally I > would like to forward the mail as attachment instead). That's a very handy feature that I couldn't live without. Have you tried this to see if it does what you want?: 1. Creating a new message. 2. Dragging another message into it. > If this can't be done with Mail.app, can one recommend another good > mail client for the Mac? Microsoft Entourage does it. Despite the name, it's one of the best email clients on Mac OS X, believe it or not. -- Note: Please send all responses to the relevant news group. If you must contact me through e-mail, let me know when you send email to this address so that your email doesn't get eaten by my SPAM f...

Editing mail in mail.app #2
Somebody suggested dragging the mail to draft and editing it then dragging it back. I want to report that this works. Somebody else asked why I would want to do that. I use mail for reminders and ToDo lists. I frequently get a long mail where I really only need to save and look at a few lines, which may be buried deeply within the mail. By removing all the stuff I don't need I am left with something I can review at a glance. BTW, re-directing mail to yourself also works, but dragging and editing works better. -- Robert B. Peirce, Venetia, PA 724-941-6883 bob AT peirce-family...

Mail app in Jornada not receiving mail
I was just given a brand new, in the box, never used HP Jornada 548 running CE 3.0. I bought an AmbiCom 802.11 card for it so that I could use it with my home wireless LAN/ADSL connection. The card allows me to connect to the Internet, and I can surf the web with the thing wirelessly - as advertised. Now I also have a Macintosh Powerbook with a built-in Airport card and a Windows PC as well as a Mac G4 all connected to my network router either via Wi-Fi or Ether. I can receive and send mail on all three computers, but for some reason I cannot get e-mail to work with the Jornada and t...

Problem with mail.app not finding mail
I'm using Mail 4.1 on 10.6.1, and my wife is using Mail 2.1.3 on 10.4.11, so there's not an exact convergence. I have mine set up to get mail from our web host, and it works fine. I have Louise's set up to get mail from our Web host, and it doesn't work. My problem is that I have no clue how to diagnose the problem - which end it's on. As far as I can tell, I set both accounts up the same on our Web host (an external service, not run by us), and I've set both mail.app accounts up the same. How do I troubleshoot this? In article <231020091035146216%ralph@whitehous...

Mail.app vaporized my e-mail!
The strangest thing just happened, help! I opened up Mail, and all the messages on my inbox (several dozen of them, some dating back 7 months) were all marked as unread. Not a big problem. BUT, everything dated between August 18 2003 and today (October 13, 2003) has completely vanished. I had some VERY important e-mails in there. I tried looking in ~/Library/Mail, and there doesn't seem to be any way to recover them by messing around in there. Is there any way to get them back??? Thanks G In article <Gqtib.9039$x97.2472@clgrps13>, nospam@spam.sucks.it (Gavin) wrote: &...

Web resources about - Persistant Junk Mail in Mail.app - comp.sys.mac.apps

AirDrop File Sharing: The Most Persistant iOS 7 Rumor Has Returned
In 2011, Apple introduced AirDrop for OS X Lion , a feature that makes sharing a file between two Macs as easy as dragging and dropping it. Two ...

Popular browser-based massively multiplayer persistant-world puzzle game Puzzle Pirates is now avail
Popular browser-based massively multiplayer persistant-world puzzle game Puzzle Pirates is now available for the iPad . That could be dangerous. ...

Latinos' 'Essential' Uses for Smartphones and One Persistant Gap in the Digital Divide
A closer look at recent research on the uses of smartphones belies the argument that smartphones are closing the digital divide.

Msgr. Bux to SSPX: “Come take part in this blessed future in which we can already foresee dawn, despite ...
... principle and foundation of Catholic unity. Come take part in this blessed future in which we can already foresee dawn, despite the persistant ...

Turkish Premier Defiant Amid Persistant Protests - WSJ.com
Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan rallied his supporters on Sunday in a string of defiant speeches designed to showcase his popularity ...

Economy of Africa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
were living in 54 different countries . Africa is a resource-rich continent but many African people are poor. Recent growth has been due to growth ...

Price Drop: On the Hop

The Best Of The StockTwits Network – 6/2/12
Really, if you want an easy way to get the best of financial blogging from the last week.....well, here it is....duh!

Poisoned iPhone factory workers beg for reform in open letter
... n-hexane which was used to clean iPhone screens. N-hexane is known to cause eye, skin and respiratory tract irritation, and leads to persistant ...

CTRL+ALT+DEL
I've been hearing about Day Z for a few weeks, but up until recently I was pretty focused on Diablo 3. Now that I've moved on from that, I decided ...