Print-Print versus Print-Preview-Print

Is there a difference between the following operations from any
given program?  Let's say Safari, because I often want to Preview
to see how many pages there are before deciding to print.

From Safari:
File > Print --> print dialog > Print

versus

From Safari:
File > Print --> print dialog
then choose Preview --> Abode Reader view
then print directly from Adobe using
File > Print --> print dialog > Print

It sounds like a waste of steps, but after I preview in Adobe
Reader, I usually close the preview and go back and print
directly from Safari.

The outputs should be the same, right? Is the answer
application dependent?

Thank you.

--
Sent by xanadoof from  yahoo within area com
u751739501

M> Is there a difference between the following operations from any
M> given program?  Let's say Safari, because I often want to Preview
M> to see how many pages there are before deciding to print.

M> From Safari:
M> File > Print --> print dialog > Print

M> versus

M> From Safari:
M> File > Print --> print dialog
M> then choose Preview --> Abode Reader view
M> then print directly from Adobe using
M> File > Print --> print dialog > Print

M> It sounds like a waste of steps, but after I preview in Adobe
M> Reader, I usually close the preview and go back and print
M> directly from Safari.

M> The outputs should be the same, right? Is the answer
M> application dependent?

Well, actually I have often problems with MS Word. Some files just won't
be printed, they seem to be sent to the printer, but just disappear in a
black hole. When done via the preview route they will print.
--
Piet van Oostrum <piet@cs.uu.nl>
Private email: P.van.Oostrum@hccnet.nl
 Piet van Oostrum <piet@cs.uu.nl> wrote:

> M> Is there a difference between the following operations from any
> M> given program?  Let's say Safari, because I often want to Preview
> M> to see how many pages there are before deciding to print.
>
> M> From Safari:
> M> File > Print --> print dialog > Print
>
> M> versus
>
> M> From Safari:
> M> File > Print --> print dialog
> M> then choose Preview --> Abode Reader view
> M> then print directly from Adobe using
> M> File > Print --> print dialog > Print
>
> M> It sounds like a waste of steps, but after I preview in Adobe
> M> Reader, I usually close the preview and go back and print
> M> directly from Safari.
>
> M> The outputs should be the same, right? Is the answer
> M> application dependent?
>
> Well, actually I have often problems with MS Word. Some files just won't
> be printed, they seem to be sent to the printer, but just disappear in a
> black hole. When done via the preview route they will print.

Not sure about MS Word, but using "Preview.app" instead of "adobe
reader.app" for .pdf files is a HECK of a lot faster than waiting for
adobe reader to load. Preview might be oversimplified for some uses/
people though.
In article <bounce-6C5728.11464006012004@news.east.cox.net>,
 T Chaos <bounce@bounce.bounce> wrote:

>> M> Is there a difference between the following operations from any
>> M> given program?  Let's say Safari, because I often want to Preview
>> M> to see how many pages there are before deciding to print.
>>
>> M> From Safari:
>> M> File > Print --> print dialog > Print
>>
>> M> versus
>>
>> M> From Safari:
>> M> File > Print --> print dialog
>> M> then choose Preview --> Abode Reader view
>> M> then print directly from Adobe using
>> M> File > Print --> print dialog > Print
>>
>> M> It sounds like a waste of steps, but after I preview in Adobe
>> M> Reader, I usually close the preview and go back and print
>> M> directly from Safari.
>>
>> M> The outputs should be the same, right? Is the answer
>> M> application dependent?
>>
>> Well, actually I have often problems with MS Word. Some files just won't
>> be printed, they seem to be sent to the printer, but just disappear in a
>> black hole. When done via the preview route they will print.
>
>Not sure about MS Word, but using "Preview.app" instead of "adobe
>reader.app" for .pdf files is a HECK of a lot faster than waiting for
>adobe reader to load. Preview might be oversimplified for some uses/
>people though.

When printing to a PS printer, just from the sheer volume of data sent,
it appears that a direct print is quite fast and simple especially when
it's just a modification of PDF to PS, however the volume is huge when
printing from Preview.

I noticed something simular with TurboTax output the last couple of
years. When VPC had difficulty printing a TurboTax Business return
directly, I had it create a .PS file when I then dragged to my printer
either in OS9 or OS X. Compared to a simular TurboTax for Macintosh
document, the file was 10x as large.

In both cases, VPC/Windows and Preview, I suspect that instead of text
documents, they were creating a graphic picture of each page.

The printed page appears to the eye to be identical, but the difference
in efficiency is large.

--
Ron
0