Problem with configure

Hi,

I'm new to building software on Macs.  In fact, this question is about
building on someone else's Mac, because I don't normally have access to
one.  I have a software package written in C and built with the
standard GNU make utilities.  It compiles and links on GNU/Linux.  When
I tried to compile the package on OS X after a ./configure, it won't go
looking for include files in /sw/include.  Is there something special I
need to do within my makefiles to automagically force the compiler to
look in /sw/include - and, looking ahead, to pick up libraries in
/sw/lib?

Thanks!

Chris
5/1/2006 4:07:33 PM
comp.sys.mac.apps 21416 articles. 2 followers. xxx613 (1334) is leader. Post Follow

Chris Roat wrote:
> I'm new to building software on Macs.  In fact, this question is about
> building on someone else's Mac, because I don't normally have access to
> one.  I have a software package written in C and built with the
> standard GNU make utilities.  It compiles and links on GNU/Linux.  When
> I tried to compile the package on OS X after a ./configure, it won't go
> looking for include files in /sw/include.  Is there something special I
> need to do within my makefiles to automagically force the compiler to
> look in /sw/include - and, looking ahead, to pick up libraries in
> /sw/lib?

This is really a subject for one of the Mac coding groups (follow-up
set) but the Gnu compiler that is on OS X has a pretty restrictive
include and library path.  Certainly /sw will not be there unless you
deliberately set some environment variables in your Fink startup script.

Check out the INSTALL and/or README docs for this project.  There is a
documented way of specifying the include and lib paths on the command
line that runs the configure script so that generated Makefiles will
give the right options to the compiler(s).  Generally you set the CFLAGS
and LDFLAGS on the same command line as the ./configure, but there are a
few ways to skin this particular feline.
0
void
5/1/2006 4:48:47 PM
Chris Roat wrote:

> I have a software package written in C and built with the
> standard GNU make utilities.  It compiles and links on GNU/Linux.  When
> I tried to compile the package on OS X after a ./configure, it won't go
> looking for include files in /sw/include.

If things are in /sw it means that fink has been installed on that Mac
(fink is a package manager for lots of Unix-like port).

When fink was installed, it SHOULD have run a script that adds the /sw
stuff to all of the appropriate paths (libraries, headers, etc).
Apparently that didn't happen for some reason.

Anyway, there should be a script

 /sw/bin/pathsetup.sh

inspect and run it to set things up.

Also take a look at

  http://fink.sourceforge.net/doc/users-guide/install.php

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg                     http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/
 I rarely read top-posted, over-quoted or HTML posts

Just moved from WinXP to a MAC and having problems with Mail.app
Hi all, I'm happy to say that I have a slick new Powerbook 17" and I love it. Still getting used to the new apps and the keyboard shortcuts. That's gonna take a while to get used to I know. I was able to copy all my data off my PC via FTPing it all over to my PB and even was able to export my mail from Outlook and import it into Mail.app.... well sort of. I got my calendar and my contacts all fine. Couldn't get my tasks or notes but I'm not worried as much about that. While I did import my emails, they're all showing up in html source. For example, when I displ...

Tkinter app=App(root) problem
This is my first day working with Tkinter. I'm using python2.3 on WindowsXP. I found this program and entered it. from Tkinter import * class App: def _init_(self,master): frame = Frame(master) frame.pack() self.button = Button(frame, text = "Quit", fg = "red", command =frame.quit) self.button.pack(side=LEFT) self.hi_there = Button(frame, text = "Hello", command = self.say_hi) self.hi_there.pack(side=LEFT) def say_hi(self): print "hi there, everyone!" root = Tk() app = App(root) r...

Mac-to-Mac Keyboard Mapping Problem
I need to control in iMac remotely from a MacBook. In general, the solution using VNC (Remote Desktop or VineServer + Chicken) is exactly what I need. But... Both systems are equipped with German keyboards. And VNC does not support the special characters, umlauts and so on. Even entering a semicolon becomes a serious problem. Has anybody experience in making a VNC connection working correct also for non-US keyboards? From watching around in newsgroups Apple themselves with their own RDC have a solution so it should be possible via VNC. The Apple RDC is simply too expensive for me - USD...

Mac to TV HDMI hook-up problem: Running apps and icons don't show up. Suggestions?
I used an adapter from the mini DVI port to connect my iMac to my TV using an HDMI cable. On the TV, the HDMI showed up as a source, but when I chose it, my desktop photo and background color showed up on screen and that's all. The dock, icons, and none of the open applications appeared. Also, all the app windows on the Mac got reduced in size. How can I make other stuff from my Mac show up on the TV screen. I'd like to use the Play Now function in Netflix for the TV, but I'd have to figure out how to get Safari to display on the TV. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any...

BIG PROBLEM : Configuration Boot Problem Stratix
hi, we've got some Stratix DSP development kit EP1S25 where at the power-on don't load the flash memory to the FPGA !!! We've seen that the EPLD MAX 7064 often fail the programmation of the FPGA... We've seen that the RESET of this EPLD is in the same time that the 3.3 V power-on... Did someone have this this problem yet... and how to boot at any time on power-on ? Perhaps it's be better if the RESET is after the 3.3V power-on ? We utilizes 3 board in a big system and we have this problem now of non programming at boot.. Thanks "Patrick" <patrick.melet...

mac app store apps dl limits
Was thinking about picking up an app or two or three (pages, numbers and find any file). Apple person at the store said the Apple apps aren't just one system per buy but thought there was some sort of limit. Is this a app store variable, an app variable or what? And would anyone know what the deal is on the above mentioned apps is? Would re-installing software require a deauth before hand? In article <l5c6qq$tfa$1@dont-email.me>, M. John Matlaw <nouser@invalid.com> wrote: > Was thinking about picking up an app or two or three (pages, numbers and > find any file). Apple person at the store said the Apple apps aren't > just one system per buy but thought there was some sort of limit. Is > this a app store variable, an app variable or what? And would anyone > know what the deal is on the above mentioned apps is? Would > re-installing software require a deauth before hand? apps can be installed on as many devices as you own. there is no limit, other than your wallet in buying the devices. On 11/5/13, 9:05 PM, nospam wrote: > In article <l5c6qq$tfa$1@dont-email.me>, M. John Matlaw > <nouser@invalid.com> wrote: > >> Was thinking about picking up an app or two or three (pages, numbers and >> find any file). Apple person at the store said the Apple apps aren't >> just one system per buy but thought there was some sort of limit. Is >> this a app store...

problem with reload(sys) (doing reload on the sys module)
Python 2.4.2 (#67, Sep 28 2005, 12:41:11) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)] on win32 Type "copyright", "credits" or "license()" for more information. **************************************************************** Personal firewall software may warn about the connection IDLE makes to its subprocess using this computer's internal loopback interface. This connection is not visible on any external interface and no data is sent to or received from the Internet. **************************************************************** IDLE 1.1.2 >&g...

New Released Games for Mac in Mac App Store
Hi Guys, Dumadu Games had released a series of new games for Mac. Have a try and let us know how do you feel about the game. We would feel happy if you guys give a suggestion. Here goes the list of the games : Cricket Link : goo.gl/aagVZ Pop Chop Link : goo.gl/MSAu2 Twitty Link : goo.gl/sbxsk Icy Bouncy Link : goo.gl/UPG1L Thanks. ...

MDI on mac
------_=_NextPart_001_01C755D1.B10C7B14 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi, WX: 2.8.1 OS: Mac OS-X, Carbon app Compiler: XCode 2.4.1 using GCC 4.0.1 I already posted this question and got no help. I tried looking at this further, and I still can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I'm a WX newbie, so I hope I'm not wasting anyone's time with a stupid question. I've tried a lot of things to solve this, and tried the forums as well, and so far it hasn't helped. I've encounter...

It's the apps stupid
It's been a couple of years since I last tried Cinelerra - the video editing app on Linux. Back then I thought it absolutely sucks and dumped it after a week or two. Time to try it again. Here's the problems: #1 - It's not in the Ubuntu repository. The only way to get it is by running a bunch of CLI commands. This makes it difficult for regular people to find. (They're actually doing them a service.) #2 - I install it and start the app. Unfortunately things like "Help files" don't actually exist. No help at all - you're on your own with this one. #3 - I open up a video clip from a digicam that's about 6 minutes long and a little over 100 Megs in size. The plan is to simply take a couple of sections from this file and put it into its own video. The file does open without problem. #4 - Scrolling through the "frames" is difficult at best. Cinelerra decided to "invent" it's own scrollbars and even with a short video like this the "thumb-nail" you use to scroll the video frames is only a couple of pixels wide making it nearly impossible to grab with the mouse. #5 - The "workflow" capabilities of the app simply suck. I won't go into the issues of how difficult it is to copy a section of video from one file into another. And make sure you save your work before doing a File->Open because if not you'll lose it. The app doesn't bother to tell you that you're about t...

Problems problems....
I've got Fujitsu MAN3184MP and Adaptec 29160 scsi card. Sometimes i have this message "A disk read error occured" , sometimes even bios does not recognize it, sometimes it does but the boot sequence does not start it seems that motherboard bios has problems with it ( so it seems to me, i could be wrong about that assumption) . Then i reset and it all works perfectly. I've noticed a speed degradation in Win XP lately. I'm angry :)) I have LVD/SE terminator, and i think 68pin cable ( not sure about that ). Hope i gave you enough info to try and help. Thanx! -- ----------------------------------- Makni #### iz adrese Seems obvious that the drive is going belly up. You could download the manufacture's utility disk and confirm it. I think time would more wisely be spent backing up your data before you can't read it at all. DaveL "biBU" <idolovcak####@inet.hr> wrote in message news:cuslus$ljq$1@fegnews.vip.hr... > I've got Fujitsu MAN3184MP and Adaptec 29160 scsi card. > > Sometimes i have this message "A disk read error occured" , sometimes even > bios does not recognize it, sometimes it does but the boot sequence does > not start it seems that motherboard bios has problems with it ( so it > seems to me, i could be wrong about that assumption) . Then i reset and it > all works perfectly. I've noticed a speed degradation in Win XP lately. > I'm angry :)) > > ...

Mac Files Moved To PC Then Moved Back To Mac Problem...
Hello. I just recently had a hard drive go bad and I had to move some ..cpt files to a computer that has Windows XP on it. These .cpt files were compressed in Compact Pro and they had most of my backup files in them. I recently moved them back to my Mac only to find out that they have a PC icon now and no association. I can't unstuff them with Stuffit Expander and I can't unstuff them with Compact Pro. I'd appreciate any help as to how to get these files back if any. I'm running an iMac 400 Mhz slot-loader, 192 MB of RAM, OS 9.2.1, 80 gig HD. Thanks again for listening. :-) ...

Mac problem
Hi, I have a problem with my Macintosh computer. It's shite. In article <-YWdnfhVgZc2hczZRVny2Q@bt.com>, "DVH" <dvh@vhvhvhvh.com> wrote: > Hi, I have a problem with my Macintosh computer. > > It's shite. Hi! I have a problem with you. You're "shite". Now go crawl back under whatever bridge you were hiding under. -- George Graves The health of our society is a direct result of the men and women we choose to admire. "George Graves" <gmgraves@pacbell.net> wrote in message news:gmgraves-F32BBE.12241927042006@newsclstr02.news.prodigy.com... > In article <-YWdnfhVgZc2hczZRVny2Q@bt.com>, "DVH" <dvh@vhvhvhvh.com> > wrote: > > > Hi, I have a problem with my Macintosh computer. > > > > It's shite. > > Hi! I have a problem with you. > > You're "shite". > > Now go crawl back under whatever bridge you were hiding under. George, we've never met. But if we did, I'm sure you'd find me witty, charming, and a constant source of interest. "George Graves" <gmgraves@pacbell.net> wrote in message news:gmgraves-F32BBE.12241927042006@newsclstr02.news.prodigy.com... > In article <-YWdnfhVgZc2hczZRVny2Q@bt.com>, "DVH" <dvh@vhvhvhvh.com> > wrote: > >> Hi, I have a problem with my Macintosh computer. >> >> It's shite. > > Hi! I have a problem w...

sys .mac
Dear Friend, I have found some websites: for msn messenger, http://www.hotmailpk.com/ For entertainment,spotlight.articles,interviews,dailyupdate htttp://www.familyandtwist.com/ for sms messeges, smsjokes, http://www.smstwist.com/ for articles,entertainment,beauty tips,news,showbiz and fashion http://http://www.familypk.com Visit these websites: Thanks ...

Problems with my Mac...
Not all is well here, thought I'd report on some minor glitches and things about my new Mac G5. 1. I spent about two days trying to find out why Maya crashed as soon as I launched it. I tried unsinstalling drivers and logging in as other users but it just kept crashing - but it didn't from the start, it started crashing every launch about a week after I got the G5. The console hinted that it was due to some errors in the GeForce and/or OpenGL drivers - which is what eventually led me to the solution - It was due to my Wacom Cintiq being hooked up the extra graphics card in the Mac (which I only put there a wekk after the G5 arrived) - a ATI Radeon... So I upgraded the drivers for the card, but it didn't help. Now the Wacom is disconnected but the graphics card is still in the box and Maya launches as it should. This is a huge problem since the Cintiq is as important to me as Maya... I don't know what to do, maybe I'll hook the Cintiq up to my old Mac and do that work from there, but that sounds stupid. 2. Also with Maya - I seem to have completely lost the ability to render images and movies with alpha layer support! The correct preferences are set, but images and quicktime movies made from Maya just doesn't come with Alpha, which is a huge problem since I use Maya to do commercial material that is used in Final Cut Pro, and even icons and web images, that need have transparency. If I render to PhotoShop, the alpha channel is saved a...

configure problems
hi all: My appologies for such a newbie questin, but, I'm not familiar with this topic enough.. Iv just upgraded my linux - acctually reinstalled on new system - version 9. Now, back in ver 7, I was simply able to run "configure" to setup new apps such as qpopper... now in ver 9, configure seems to be missing... i.e. $configure configure: command not found. is it hidding somewhere? any help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks Richard Hello Morrison (<lycergic2003@hotmail.com>) wrote: > My appologies for such a newbie questin, but, I'm not familiar with > this topic enough.. Iv just upgraded my linux - acctually reinstalled > on new system - version 9. That version is actually quite old already. Is there still support for RH9? Maybe you want to switch to Fedora Core 2 or 3. > Now, back in ver 7, I was simply able to > run "configure" to setup new apps such as qpopper... > now in ver 9, configure seems to be missing... i.e. $configure > configure: command not found. > > is it hidding somewhere? any help would be greatly appriciated. configure is not a system program, it comes with the source code. You should be able to call it using ../configure (perhaps the current directory is not in the PATH). Maybe the source code does not have a configure script. Check the documentation, like the README and/or INSTALL files. best regards Andreas Janssen ...

./configure problem
uname -a Linux localhost.localdomain 2.4.18-14 #1 Wed Sep 4 13:35:50 EDT 2002 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux ------------------------ from /var/log/boot.log OS Kernel: Linux version 2.4.18-14 (bhcompile@stripples.devel.redhat.com) (gcc version 3.2 20020903 (Red Hat Linux 8.0 3.2-7)) ------------------------- I am running RedHat 9.0 on my laptop Pentium II And I have the following problem when I try to install ruby 1.8.1. /configure checking build system type... Invalid configuration `i686-pc-linux-oldld': machine `i686-pc-linux' not recognized configure: error: /bin/sh ./config.sub i686-pc...

Configuration Problems
Hi, I'm trying to perform SSH authentication using Kerberos but I am a beginner. The steps I followed are those in this guide: http://www.visolve.com/security/ssh_kerberos.php#Configuring_the_Kerberos_environment but I definitely made some wrong step and I can not understand where. My lab is composed of : server KDC realm.sso1.sociale.it 10.43.165.10 server SSH ldap2.sso1.sociale.it 10.43.165.36 client SSH my machine MacOSX 10.43.130.100 servers are both on the DNS. ############################################### On server KDC: cat /etc/krb5.conf [logging] default = FILE:/var/log/krb5libs.log kdc = FILE:/var/log/krb5kdc.log admin_server = FILE:/var/log/kadmind.log [libdefaults] default_realm = REALM.SSO1.SOCIALE.IT default_keytab_name = FILE:/etc/krb5.keytab dns_lookup_realm = false dns_lookup_kdc = false ticket_lifetime = 24h forwardable = yes [realms] REALM.SSO1.SOCIALE.IT = { kdc = realm.sso1.sociale.it:88 admin_server = realm.sso1.sociale.it:749 default_domain = sso1.sociale.it } [domain_realm] realm.sso1.sociale.it = REALM.SSO1.SOCIALE.IT [kdc] profile = /var/kerberos/krb5kdc/kdc.conf [appdefaults] pam = { debug = false ticket_lifetime = 36000 renew_lifetime = 36000 forwardable = true krb4_convert = false } ------------------------------------------------------- kadmin: listprincs K/M@REALM.SSO1.SOCIALE.IT admin/admin@REALM.SSO1.SOCIALE.IT host/ldap2.sso1.sociale.it@REALM.SSO1.SOCIALE.IT...

some problems with the Mac
Hi there I am currently helping a friend with his Mac. Although I am a PC user I have been impressed by a lot of things. However I have come across a number of problems that I can't figure out. 1, I have tried to update IE from 5 to 5.1 from CD. The instructions were just to drop it into the hard drive folder but IE still kept starting in older version. I was then told to drag IE5 into trash can and empty it but I was not allowed to! (I can't remember the message but it was something like "program is in use". So what do I do? I had similar problems with OE but somehow ma...

problems with my mac
I am having many problems with my mac. Are they having a patch for such problems. Mukesh Sharma wrote: > I am having many problems with my mac. > Are they having a patch for such problems. > What kind of problems, zara? "Tim Murray" wrote in message news:_dsap.47034$195.18@newsfe05.iad... Mukesh Sharma wrote: > I am having many problems with my mac. > Are they having a patch for such problems. > >What kind of problems, zara? BWAHAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAA!! Polly is incapable of learning new phrases. No cracker, Polly. &quo...

configuration problem
Hi, my VHDL compiler gives the following error message: ** Error: TB_gray_counter.vhd(125): (vcom-1002) Generic 'size' in component 'gray_counter' does not exist in entity 'gray_counter'. ** Error: TB_gray_counter.vhd(125): (vcom-1002) Generic 'reset_active' in component 'gray_counter' does not exist in entity 'gray_counter'. I've no idea what he want - I'm helpless :( Maybe I'm blind? Attached the relevant code. Thanks Olaf -- vmap work design_library entity gray_counter is generic ( SIZE : Positive range 2 to...

Mac to mac

configuration problem
Hello, I am trying to learn pascal and I downloaded the IDEnvironment Dev-Pascal. When I start a new project and try to compile, I always get the message: Resource File. Icon file not found(please change it in Project Options). And I think that I have not done the configuration right. What do I need to do, so I can compile programs? Can anyone give me some advice? Thank you in advance... On 14 Sep 2004 11:58:19 -0700, evanthh@yahoo.com (evanthh) wrote: >Hello, >I am trying to learn pascal and I downloaded the IDEnvironment >Dev-Pascal. >When I start a new project and try to compile, I always get the >message: Resource File. Icon file not found(please change it in >Project Options). >And I think that I have not done the configuration right. >What do I need to do, so I can compile programs? >Can anyone give me some advice? >Thank you in advance... This is because you haven't specified a resource file. These files contain menus, accelerators, copyright information, icons, etc. They are tacked onto the end of every windows program. You *can* turn the feature off, but then you will have to hard code all your menus and such... not fun. To create a resource file you need a resource compiler. The best of these is GO-RC which can be obtained from http://www.jorgon.freeserve.co.uk/ (Second item on the list.) To use GO-RC you must create a text file with at least the application's icon in it. The GO-RC help file explains the format ...

./configure problem
hi! I'm trying to compile karamba for a rh8.0, but ./configure gives this error: configure:21805: error: Qt (>= Qt 3.0) (library qt-mt) not found. Please check your installation! For more details about this problem, look at the end of config.log. Make sure that you have compiled Qt with thread support! I do have these lib in /usr/lib/qt-3.1/lib. All paths are ok. What's going on? Why doesen't it find them? Thanx! On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 23:07:28 +0000, tudor wrote: > hi! > I'm trying to compile karamba for a rh8.0, but ./configure gives this error: > > config...

Web resources about - Problem with configure - comp.sys.mac.apps

configure script - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A Configure script is an executable script designed to aid in developing a program to be run on a wide number of different computers. It matches ...

CloudNex correctly configures NetSuite for retailer
IT consultant and NetSuite solution provider, CloudNex has implemented a NetSuite configuration for local fashion designer and retailer, Briggins. ...

Cydia Tweak: How To Configure A Touch ID Grace Period For Your iPhone 5s
... Into A Paid Subscription , and Facebook’s Paper Launches In The App Store, Brings A More Elegant News Feed To iOS . Cydia Tweak: How To Configure ...

Configure - Apple
Get free shipping on iMac with Retina 5K display from the Apple Online Store. It packs 14.7 million pixels into its 27-inch display, and it features ...

Xcode Continuous Integration Guide: Configure Bots to Perform Continuous Integrations
Provides guidelines and examples for using Xcode continuous integration features.

Apple TV to get automatic "touch to configure" setup via Bluetooth 4.0, iOS 7
Apple appears to be using a novel device setup method to ease initial configuration of Apple TV under iOS 7, using an NFC-like touch without ...

Model brain with 2.5 million neurons configures itself to solve problems
Chris Eliasmith, et. al Over the last few years, the meteoric rise of computing power has allowed us to build ever-larger collections of model ...

Time to configure your McLaren 650S
Filed under: Car Buying , Convertible , Coupe , Performance , McLaren If you're like us, Friday afternoons are the bane of your existence - ...

Customize and configure your PC with Windows Tweaker 5.0
Windows is a highly configurable operating system, with hundreds of settings and options available. But taking full advantage of this can be ...