Re: Mac OS X 10.5/Leopard on an old PowerBook (PPC) G4 1 Ghz with 512 MB of RAM & 60 GB HDD?

On 10/22/2007 5:45 AM PT, Ant typed:

> I have an old PowerBook G4 (PPC) with 1 Ghz CPU speed, 512 MB of RAM,
> and 60 GB of HDD. If I were to do a fresh clean install of Mac OS X
> 10.5/Leopard on it (still have 10.2.8 on it and seems fine, just old),
> then how will it perform? Will it be slower? Or should I just wait until
> I get a new Apple notebook/laptop (e.g., MacBook)?
>
> I am a heavy user who likes to run Fink stuff for X11, play hungry power
> games (e.g., MacMAME, Quake 3 Arena and its mods)
>
> Thank you in advance.

So, anyone running the new OS (clean install) on low-end machines with
512 MB of RAM like my above specifications? :)
--
"Don't be no Ant-Man. An Ant-Man has very low horizons." --Forrest Gump
    /\___/\
     \ _ /       Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
      ( )                                           or ANTant@zimage.com
Ant is/was listening to a song on his home computer: THC Flatline
(Martin Galway) - Rastan Saga (Song 2)
0
Ant

In article <47241073$0$11477$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>,
 Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote:

> So, anyone running the new OS (clean install) on low-end machines with
> 512 MB of RAM like my above specifications? :)

Well, not me, but I can tell you that on my PowerBook G4 running iChat,
Safari, MT Newswatcher, Activity Monitor, various menu extras and
services (including file sharing and web sharing) is using about 490MB.
At 512MB, I'm sure you'll experience paging, but I wouldn't count on it
being terrible.
0
Steven