Serial printer to usb port?

Are there converters to connect a Mac serial printer to a usb port?
Ed Kearns

0
Ed

Ed Kearns <kearnser@comcast.net> wrote:

> Are there converters to connect a Mac serial printer to a usb port?

Yes.  For example:

http://keyspan.com/products/usb/USA28x/

However, unless you're attempting to use a fairly high end serial
printer, you're probably better off buying a USB printer, which can
easily cost less than the adapter.

Also, this will probably only work for OS 9 and earlier.  For OS X, if
the printer also has a parallel port, you'd want to use a parallel to
USB adapter.

--
Mike Rosenberg
Toyota Prius fans: Check out alt.autos.toyota.prius
 Ed Kearns <kearnser@comcast.net> wrote:

> Are there converters to connect a Mac serial printer to a usb port?
> Ed Kearns

Yes, but you may be better off just buying a USB printer.
Any computer store that sells Mac products will sell you
a USB-serial converter.
0
Shawn
11/27/2004 10:50:38 PM
In article <BDCE59E2.DF9E%kearnser@comcast.net>,
 Ed Kearns <kearnser@comcast.net> wrote:

> Are there converters to connect a Mac serial printer to a usb port?
> Ed Kearns

I have just done this with a PersonalLaserwriter320 to my G4
via a local talk bridge to ethernet adapter and a router. Cost a few
bucks but I also have a network and can add more computers all
sharing the printer!

Lyndon
0
lyndon
11/28/2004 8:48:00 AM
lyndon <lyndonr@interwrx.junktrap.com> wrote:

> In article <BDCE59E2.DF9E%kearnser@comcast.net>,
>  Ed Kearns <kearnser@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > Are there converters to connect a Mac serial printer to a usb port?
> > Ed Kearns
>
> I have just done this with a PersonalLaserwriter320 to my G4 via a local
> talk bridge to ethernet adapter and a router. Cost a few bucks but I also
> have a network and can add more computers all sharing the printer!

LocalTalk isn't the same thing as serial. Unless his printer can do
LocalTalk as well, he'll have to get a USB/serial adaptor, and hope his
printer is supported by the OS.
0
usenet
11/28/2004 8:52:42 AM
in article lyndonr-EAE84B.01480028112004@corp.supernews.com, lyndon at
lyndonr@interwrx.junktrap.com wrote on 11/28/04 3:48 AM:

> In article <BDCE59E2.DF9E%kearnser@comcast.net>,
> Ed Kearns <kearnser@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Are there converters to connect a Mac serial printer to a usb port?
>> Ed Kearns
>
> I have just done this with a PersonalLaserwriter320 to my G4
> via a local talk bridge to ethernet adapter and a router. Cost a few
> bucks but I also have a network and can add more computers all
> sharing the printer!
>
> Lyndon
I have done the same with a LaserWriter IINTX and G3 and iMac. However, I
should have mentioned I want to run os x on each of them, and I can't get
the localtalk bridge to work with os x.

0
Ed
11/28/2004 2:36:16 PM
In article <1gnxrpq.1ti2th413gehogN%usenet@mile23.c0m>,
 usenet@mile23.c0m (Paul Mitchum) wrote:

> lyndon <lyndonr@interwrx.junktrap.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <BDCE59E2.DF9E%kearnser@comcast.net>,
> >  Ed Kearns <kearnser@comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Are there converters to connect a Mac serial printer to a usb port?
> > > Ed Kearns
> >
> > I have just done this with a PersonalLaserwriter320 to my G4 via a local
> > talk bridge to ethernet adapter and a router. Cost a few bucks but I also
> > have a network and can add more computers all sharing the printer!
>
> LocalTalk isn't the same thing as serial. Unless his printer can do
> LocalTalk as well, he'll have to get a USB/serial adaptor, and hope his
> printer is supported by the OS.

It should be pointed out that as shipped by Apple, no version of OS X
natively supports serial printers.  Serial printing can be added fairly
easily with a free patch.  It works almost exclusively for HP inkjet
printers.  Epson serial printers will not work via the serial interface
in OS X at this time.  For more on what serial printers can be used in
OS 10.2 or later, see my page
<http://my.vbe.com/~mbrought/serial_printing.html>.  I don't claim to
have all the answers on the page, but it's a start.

--
Matt Broughton
Only relatives are absolute.

> in article lyndonr-EAE84B.01480028112004@corp.supernews.com, lyndon at
> lyndonr@interwrx.junktrap.com wrote on 11/28/04 3:48 AM:
>
>> In article <BDCE59E2.DF9E%kearnser@comcast.net>,
>> Ed Kearns <kearnser@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Are there converters to connect a Mac serial printer to a usb port?
>>> Ed Kearns
>>
>> I have just done this with a PersonalLaserwriter320 to my G4
>> via a local talk bridge to ethernet adapter and a router. Cost a few
>> bucks but I also have a network and can add more computers all
>> sharing the printer!
>>
>> Lyndon
> I have done the same with a LaserWriter IINTX and G3 and iMac. However, I
> should have mentioned I want to run os x on each of them, and I can't get
> the localtalk bridge to work with os x.

Are you by any chance using a wireless router?  I had the same setup
and it worked fine until I switched to a LinkSys Wireless Router. It
won't pass AppleTalk over Ethernet.  I don't really understand why it's
not transparent but Cisco says it doesn't and that they have no plans
to support it.  It doesn't even work on my LW IIG using the ethernet
direct port.

--
Nelson

0