Setting "From:" or "Reply-to:" address

My ISP just changed their SMTP server configuration so that it only
allows outgoing mail if the address in the "MAIL FROM" command is
<something>@comcast.net.  I prefer to use my permanent forwarding
address (barmar@alum.mit.edu) in email, so that I don't have to update
people if I change ISPs or my ISP changes their domain (with all the
mergers and acquisitions in the cable business, the domain has changed
every couple of years).

It looks like they don't have a restriction on the address that appears
in the "From:" or "Reply-to:" line in the header.  But I can't seem to
find a way to configure the preferences to use a different address in
the header than it uses in the SMTP dialog.  You can add a Reply-to
header to a message as you're composing it, but there doesn't seem to be
a permanent default for this.

Anyone have any ideas?  Do I need to use a 3rd-party SMTP service to get
around this?

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> It looks like they don't have a restriction on the address that appears
> in the "From:" or "Reply-to:" line in the header.  But I can't seem to
> find a way to configure the preferences to use a different address in
> the header than it uses in the SMTP dialog.  You can add a Reply-to
> header to a message as you're composing it, but there doesn't seem to be
> a permanent default for this.

What program?

--
Adam Bailey    | Chicago, Illinois
adamb@lull.org | Finger/Web for PGP & S/MIME
 adamb@lull.org (Adam Bailey) wrote:

> Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> > It looks like they don't have a restriction on the address that appears
> > in the "From:" or "Reply-to:" line in the header.  But I can't seem to
> > find a way to configure the preferences to use a different address in
> > the header than it uses in the SMTP dialog.  You can add a Reply-to
> > header to a message as you're composing it, but there doesn't seem to be
> > a permanent default for this.
>
> What program?

Oops, Panther Mail.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA
Barry
3/4/2004 5:19:59 PM
In <barmar-C99E01.12195904032004@comcast.ash.giganews.com>,

*
*> Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
*> > It looks like they don't have a restriction on the address that appears
*> > in the "From:" or "Reply-to:" line in the header.  But I can't seem to
*> > find a way to configure the preferences to use a different address in
*> > the header than it uses in the SMTP dialog.  You can add a Reply-to
*> > header to a message as you're composing it, but there doesn't seem to be
*> > a permanent default for this.
*>
*> What program?
*
*Oops, Panther Mail.

Go into Mail > Preferences > Accounts, and set the email address to what
you want the email address to be. Doesn't that work? It worked for me. I
tested it a lot :)

--
	hillary israeli vmd  http://www.hillary.net  info@hillary.net
                 not-so-newly minted veterinarian-at-large :)
 hillary@hillary.net (Hillary Israeli) wrote:

> In <barmar-C99E01.12195904032004@comcast.ash.giganews.com>,
> Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>
> *In article <slrnc4ekcg.38s.adamb@typhoon.xnet.com>,
> * adamb@lull.org (Adam Bailey) wrote:
> *
> *> Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> *> > It looks like they don't have a restriction on the address that appears
> *> > in the "From:" or "Reply-to:" line in the header.  But I can't seem to
> *> > find a way to configure the preferences to use a different address in
> *> > the header than it uses in the SMTP dialog.  You can add a Reply-to
> *> > header to a message as you're composing it, but there doesn't seem to be
> *> > a permanent default for this.
> *>
> *> What program?
> *
> *Oops, Panther Mail.
>
> Go into Mail > Preferences > Accounts, and set the email address to what
> you want the email address to be. Doesn't that work? It worked for me. I
> tested it a lot :)

No, that's how it was configured, and mail is failing.  I had to change
the address there from barmar@alum.mit.edu to barry.margolin@comcast.net
in order to allow the mail to go through.  This changes both ehe SMTP
sender address and the "From:" header.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA
Barry
3/4/2004 6:48:17 PM
In <barmar-910512.13481704032004@comcast.ash.giganews.com>,
Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
*>
*> Go into Mail > Preferences > Accounts, and set the email address to what
*> you want the email address to be. Doesn't that work? It worked for me. I
*> tested it a lot :)
*
*No, that's how it was configured, and mail is failing.  I had to change
*the address there from barmar@alum.mit.edu to barry.margolin@comcast.net
*in order to allow the mail to go through.  This changes both ehe SMTP
*sender address and the "From:" header.

Hmmm. Here are the headers of a test message I sent to me at
webhill@izzy.com after changing my "from" email address, per the above
procedure, from hillary@hillary.net to barmar@alum.mit.edu :)

To:   webhill@izzy.com
Obviously the mail was accepted by smtp.comcast.net and delivered on to
me, just fine and dandy. What smtp server are you using? Is it perhaps a
particularly persnickety one?

-h.
 --
	hillary israeli vmd  http://www.hillary.net  info@hillary.net
                 not-so-newly minted veterinarian-at-large :)
0
hillary
3/4/2004 7:36:26 PM
In article <slrnc4f19q.ro.hillary@manx.misty.com>,
 hillary@hillary.net (Hillary Israeli) wrote:

> Obviously the mail was accepted by smtp.comcast.net and delivered on to
> me, just fine and dandy. What smtp server are you using? Is it perhaps a
> particularly persnickety one?

Maybe they're rolling out to different servers at different times.  My
smtp.comcast.net is rwcrmhc11.comcast.net.  I tried connecting to
sccrmhc11, the one you use, and I couldn't even open a connection.

I'm in the Boston area, where are you?

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA
Barry
3/4/2004 8:29:03 PM
In article <barmar-EBE29B.15290304032004@comcast.ash.giganews.com>,
 Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> In article <slrnc4f19q.ro.hillary@manx.misty.com>,
>  hillary@hillary.net (Hillary Israeli) wrote:
>
> > Obviously the mail was accepted by smtp.comcast.net and delivered on to
> > me, just fine and dandy. What smtp server are you using? Is it perhaps a
> > particularly persnickety one?
>
> Maybe they're rolling out to different servers at different times.  My
> smtp.comcast.net is rwcrmhc11.comcast.net.  I tried connecting to
> sccrmhc11, the one you use, and I couldn't even open a connection.
>
> I'm in the Boston area, where are you?

FWIW, I'm a Comcast customer in California and also not experiencing this
problem.  There doesn't seem to be any reference to it yet on news:attbi.discussion-email (the closest thing Comcast has to an official email group) either.  Have
you confirmed with tech support that there has been a change to the mail
server policy?

--
CC
0
 CC Zona <cczona@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> In article <barmar-EBE29B.15290304032004@comcast.ash.giganews.com>,
>  Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>
> > In article <slrnc4f19q.ro.hillary@manx.misty.com>,
> >  hillary@hillary.net (Hillary Israeli) wrote:
> >
> > > Obviously the mail was accepted by smtp.comcast.net and delivered on to
> > > me, just fine and dandy. What smtp server are you using? Is it perhaps a
> > > particularly persnickety one?
> >
> > Maybe they're rolling out to different servers at different times.  My
> > smtp.comcast.net is rwcrmhc11.comcast.net.  I tried connecting to
> > sccrmhc11, the one you use, and I couldn't even open a connection.
> >
> > I'm in the Boston area, where are you?
>
> FWIW, I'm a Comcast customer in California and also not experiencing this
> problem.  There doesn't seem to be any reference to it yet on
> news:attbi.discussion-email (the closest thing Comcast has to an official
> email group) either.  Have
> you confirmed with tech support that there has been a change to the mail
> server policy?

I posted a message about it to news:attbi.discussion-attbiservice about
it.

It looks like they've undone the change, as I'm now able to send mail
the way I always have been.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA
Barry
3/4/2004 9:54:02 PM
In <barmar-EBE29B.15290304032004@comcast.ash.giganews.com>,
Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

*In article <slrnc4f19q.ro.hillary@manx.misty.com>,
* hillary@hillary.net (Hillary Israeli) wrote:
*
*> Obviously the mail was accepted by smtp.comcast.net and delivered on to
*> me, just fine and dandy. What smtp server are you using? Is it perhaps a
*> particularly persnickety one?
*
*Maybe they're rolling out to different servers at different times.  My
*smtp.comcast.net is rwcrmhc11.comcast.net.  I tried connecting to
*sccrmhc11, the one you use, and I couldn't even open a connection.
*
*I'm in the Boston area, where are you?

Philadelphia. Comcast uses round-robin servers, I'm pretty sure. It's luck
of the draw which one you get at a given time. smtp.comcast.net points to
any of a number of them, right?

--
	hillary israeli vmd  http://www.hillary.net  info@hillary.net
                 not-so-newly minted veterinarian-at-large :)
0
hillary
3/4/2004 10:25:43 PM
In article <slrnc4fb77.ro.hillary@manx.misty.com>,
 hillary@hillary.net (Hillary Israeli) wrote:

> In <barmar-EBE29B.15290304032004@comcast.ash.giganews.com>,
> Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>
> *In article <slrnc4f19q.ro.hillary@manx.misty.com>,
> * hillary@hillary.net (Hillary Israeli) wrote:
> *
> *> Obviously the mail was accepted by smtp.comcast.net and delivered on to
> *> me, just fine and dandy. What smtp server are you using? Is it perhaps a
> *> particularly persnickety one?
> *
> *Maybe they're rolling out to different servers at different times.  My
> *smtp.comcast.net is rwcrmhc11.comcast.net.  I tried connecting to
> *sccrmhc11, the one you use, and I couldn't even open a connection.
> *
> *I'm in the Boston area, where are you?
>
> Philadelphia. Comcast uses round-robin servers, I'm pretty sure. It's luck
> of the draw which one you get at a given time. smtp.comcast.net points to
> any of a number of them, right?

Whatever the problem was (maybe it was a temporary DNS problem with
alum.mit.edu), it seems to be corrected now.  I've gone back to my
original configuration and it's working.