Simple database, cheaper than Filemaker?

I got my sister to switch a couple of months ago.

She needs a simple database to keep track of (1) ebay auctions she does
[item, price, shipping costs, winner's address, whether she's gotten
feedback yet, maybe even email-attachments or texts] and (2) job
applications.

Currently she's using Microsoft Excel, which is sort of doing the job,
but is very clunky.

Is there something easier and more user-friendly she can try out or get
that's less expensive than Filemaker?
0
no_email_address

In article <1h7kibc.nt8pvx1wf04zkN%no_email_address@hotmail.com>,
 no_email_address@hotmail.com (Sara Garland) wrote:

> I got my sister to switch a couple of months ago.
>
> She needs a simple database to keep track of (1) ebay auctions she does
> [item, price, shipping costs, winner's address, whether she's gotten
> feedback yet, maybe even email-attachments or texts] and (2) job
> applications.
>
> Currently she's using Microsoft Excel, which is sort of doing the job,
> but is very clunky.
>
> Is there something easier and more user-friendly she can try out or get
> that's less expensive than Filemaker?

Appleworks has a good flat-file database module.

Bill

--
For email, remove invalid.
0
 Bill <bbcollins@invalid.earthlink.net> wrote:

> In article <1h7kibc.nt8pvx1wf04zkN%no_email_address@hotmail.com>,
>  no_email_address@hotmail.com (Sara Garland) wrote:
>
> > I got my sister to switch a couple of months ago.
> >
> > She needs a simple database to keep track of (1) ebay auctions she does
> > [item, price, shipping costs, winner's address, whether she's gotten
> > feedback yet, maybe even email-attachments or texts] and (2) job
> > applications.
> >
> > Currently she's using Microsoft Excel, which is sort of doing the job,
> > but is very clunky.
> >
> > Is there something easier and more user-friendly she can try out or get
> > that's less expensive than Filemaker?
>
> Appleworks has a good flat-file database module.
>
> Bill

The primary drawback of the AppleWorks database module is that text
fields can only hold about 1,000 characters. If you don't need to enter
that much text into any one field, it's a nice way to keep simple
databases.
0
Tony
12/14/2005 10:46:49 PM
Tony Craine <acraine@ameritech.net> wrote:

> > > Currently she's using Microsoft Excel, which is sort of doing the job,
> > > but is very clunky. Is there something easier and more user-friendly
> > > she can try out or get that's less expensive than Filemaker?
> >
> > Appleworks has a good flat-file database module.
> >

> The primary drawback of the AppleWorks database module is that text
> fields can only hold about 1,000 characters. If you don't need to enter
> that much text into any one field, it's a nice way to keep simple
> databases.

I think she needs something that can hold a little more than 1,000
characters. But she's a newbie to Macs, and she doesn't live me, so I
can't help her out. That's why I'm looking for something easy and
straightforward and Mac-like.

And cheap, because maybe I can get it for her for Christmas.  :-)
0
no_email_address
12/14/2005 11:36:12 PM
In article <1h7kibc.nt8pvx1wf04zkN%no_email_address@hotmail.com>,
 no_email_address@hotmail.com (Sara Garland) wrote:

> I got my sister to switch a couple of months ago.
>
> She needs a simple database to keep track of (1) ebay auctions she does
> [item, price, shipping costs, winner's address, whether she's gotten
> feedback yet,

For this: GarageSale?

> maybe even email-attachments or texts] and (2) job
> applications.

TextEdit?

> Currently she's using Microsoft Excel, which is sort of doing the job,
> but is very clunky.
>
> Is there something easier and more user-friendly she can try out or get
> that's less expensive than Filemaker?

An old version of FileMaker?

HTH

Marc

--
Switzerland/Europe
<http://www.heusser.com>
> I got my sister to switch a couple of months ago.
>
> She needs a simple database to keep track of (1) ebay auctions she does
> [item, price, shipping costs, winner's address, whether she's gotten
> feedback yet, maybe even email-attachments or texts] and (2) job
> applications.
>
> Currently she's using Microsoft Excel, which is sort of doing the job,
> but is very clunky.
>
> Is there something easier and more user-friendly she can try out or get
> that's less expensive than Filemaker?

Take a look at Register
<http://www.norrkross.com/software/register/Register.html>, it's a
really nice application, and free.

-Andre
0
Andre
12/14/2005 11:51:49 PM
In article <1h7kowh.77jn131ieaobyN%no_email_address@hotmail.com>,
 no_email_address@hotmail.com (Sara Garland) wrote:

> I think she needs something that can hold a little more than 1,000
> characters. But she's a newbie to Macs, and she doesn't live me, so I
> can't help her out. That's why I'm looking for something easy and
> straightforward and Mac-like.
>
> And cheap, because maybe I can get it for her for Christmas.  :-)

I have successfully run MySql on  OS X (Jaguar). I realize that this may
be even more "clunky" than Excel, and I talked to it from a web page
(and the command line), but it's FREE, and there are probably some nice
open-source front ends for it.

http://www.mysql.com

The downloads are in

http://dev.mysql.com/downloads
--
W. Oates
"I thought I was the last son of Krypton,

0
Warren
12/15/2005 12:49:33 AM
In article <1h7kowh.77jn131ieaobyN%no_email_address@hotmail.com>,
 no_email_address@hotmail.com (Sara Garland) wrote:

> > > Appleworks has a good flat-file database module.
> > >

> > The primary drawback of the AppleWorks database module is that text
> > fields can only hold about 1,000 characters. If you don't need to enter
> > that much text into any one field, it's a nice way to keep simple
> > databases.
>
> I think she needs something that can hold a little more than 1,000
> characters.

Per text field per record? (That's not for the entire database.)

> But she's a newbie to Macs, and she doesn't live me, so I
> can't help her out. That's why I'm looking for something easy and
> straightforward and Mac-like.
>
> And cheap, because maybe I can get it for her for Christmas.  :-)

If she got her Mac recently, IIRC the consumer systems come with
AppleWorks installed.
0
Steve
12/15/2005 1:37:41 AM
In article <1h7kibc.nt8pvx1wf04zkN%no_email_address@hotmail.com>,
 no_email_address@hotmail.com (Sara Garland) wrote:

> She needs a simple database to keep track of (1) ebay auctions she does
> [item, price, shipping costs, winner's address, whether she's gotten
> feedback yet, maybe even email-attachments or texts] and (2) job
> applications.

The question is what she *really* needs.  If it's a bona fide SQL
database, Tiger comes with SQLite.  If it's just contact-related
information, Address Book gives you a Spotlight-searchable repository
for that.
0
Doc
12/15/2005 9:53:28 AM
Sara Garland <no_email_address@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I got my sister to switch a couple of months ago.
>
> She needs a simple database to keep track of (1) ebay auctions she does
> [item, price, shipping costs, winner's address, whether she's gotten
> feedback yet, maybe even email-attachments or texts] and (2) job
> applications.
>
> Currently she's using Microsoft Excel, which is sort of doing the job,
> but is very clunky.
>
> Is there something easier and more user-friendly she can try out or get
> that's less expensive than Filemaker?

iData perhaps?

Take a look here:

http://www.idata2.com/

--
Have fun, Hermie

September 15, 1996
0
colours
12/15/2005 10:48:02 AM
Doc O'Leary <droleary.usenet@2h2005.subsume.com> wrote:

> > She needs a simple database to keep track of (1) ebay auctions she does
> > [item, price, shipping costs, winner's address, whether she's gotten
> > feedback yet, maybe even email-attachments or texts] and (2) job
> > applications.
>
> The question is what she *really* needs.  If it's a bona fide SQL
> database, Tiger comes with SQLite.  If it's just contact-related
> information, Address Book gives you a Spotlight-searchable repository
> for that.

Not just contact info -- she needs to keep track of who she sent packets
out to, when, and what responses there were if any.  I advised her to
use a simple freeform record/snippet keeper for keeping track of job
applications (like Hog Bay Notebook, or MacJournal, or iData) but she
says that using one app as she currently does seems easier than
splitting her tasks into two apps.

She uses Excel for simple calculations for the ebay stuff, so a database
of some kind would be needed. But she doesn't want to have to delve
deeply into any new app, so I was looking for something as simple as
possible for her to quickly learn work with. Otherwise she won't use it.

0
no_email_address
12/15/2005 1:11:11 PM
Addictive <colours@shades.of.grey> wrote:

> > Is there something easier and more user-friendly she can try out or get
> > that's less expensive than Filemaker?
>
> iData perhaps?

For part of it, that would be great. But she uses Excel fields to
calculate ebay costs and charges too. According to the online manual,
iData does not appear to perform calculations.
0
no_email_address
12/15/2005 1:11:12 PM
Andre Berger <andre.berger@web.de> wrote:

> Take a look at Register
> <http://www.norrkross.com/software/register/Register.html>, it's a
> really nice application, and free.

Thanks. Looks interesting, but while it accepts tabulated data, it
cannot calculate numbers, which my sister does to determine costs and
ebay charges.
0
no_email_address
12/15/2005 1:11:14 PM
Marc Heusser <marc.heusser@CHEERSheusser.comMERCIALSPAMMERS.invalid>
wrote:

> > She needs a simple database to keep track of (1) ebay auctions she does
> > [item, price, shipping costs, winner's address, whether she's gotten
> > feedback yet,
>
> For this: GarageSale?

Actually, this is something she's seriously considering, especially
since there's now a $19.95 sale on it. But my understanding is that is
essentially only halps with listing, and that recordkeeping and fee
calculation required the subscription-based 'Garagesale Pro'

If I were her I'd use two apps for these two things, but she is
currently using one app. And while Excel is overkill for her needs, she
doesn't want to switch from one app to two to take care of the ebay
stuff _and_ the job app stuff.
0
no_email_address
12/15/2005 1:11:16 PM
In article <sehix-16F881.17374114122005@news.isp.giganews.com>,
 Steve Hix <sehix@NOSPAMspeakeasy.netINVALID> wrote:

> In article <1h7kowh.77jn131ieaobyN%no_email_address@hotmail.com>,
>  no_email_address@hotmail.com (Sara Garland) wrote:

> > > The primary drawback of the AppleWorks database module is that text
> > > fields can only hold about 1,000 characters. If you don't need to enter
> > > that much text into any one field, it's a nice way to keep simple
> > > databases.
> >
> > I think she needs something that can hold a little more than 1,000
> > characters.
>
> Per text field per record? (That's not for the entire database.)
>
> > But she's a newbie to Macs, and she doesn't live me, so I
> > can't help her out. That's why I'm looking for something easy and
> > straightforward and Mac-like.
> >
> > And cheap, because maybe I can get it for her for Christmas.  :-)
>
> If she got her Mac recently, IIRC the consumer systems come with
> AppleWorks installed.

The limit in Appleworks is per text field per record. 1000 characters is
quite a bit of text for most people in that context.

--
For email, remove invalid.
0
> * Sara Garland (2005-12-14):
> > I got my sister to switch a couple of months ago.
> >
> > She needs a simple database to keep track of (1) ebay auctions she does
> > [item, price, shipping costs, winner's address, whether she's gotten
> > feedback yet, maybe even email-attachments or texts] and (2) job
> > applications.

ScrapIt Pro X

   <http://www.johnvholder.com>

could be a candidate (although John V needs to add some improvements to
bring it up to the level it was at before he ported over to OS X).
0
AES
12/15/2005 3:42:24 PM
Try:
versiontracker
Search for EBAY

there are 21 different OSX ebay managemnt utilities
0
Fetch
12/16/2005 12:54:13 AM
Fetch, Rover, Fetch <Fetch-Rover-Fetch@K9University.edu> wrote:

> versiontracker
> Search for EBAY
>
> there are 21 different OSX ebay managemnt utilities

Not particularly helpful. I asked for advice on a database because one
of her two needs involved ebay.
0
no_email_address
12/16/2005 2:38:41 AM
In article <1h7lqf2.x1ym0kldmk2lN%no_email_address@hotmail.com>,
 no_email_address@hotmail.com (Sara Garland) wrote:

> Marc Heusser <marc.heusser@CHEERSheusser.comMERCIALSPAMMERS.invalid>
> wrote:
>
> > > She needs a simple database to keep track of (1) ebay auctions she does
> > > [item, price, shipping costs, winner's address, whether she's gotten
> > > feedback yet,
> >
> > For this: GarageSale?
>
> Actually, this is something she's seriously considering, especially
> since there's now a $19.95 sale on it. But my understanding is that is
> essentially only halps with listing, and that recordkeeping and fee
> calculation required the subscription-based 'Garagesale Pro'

Where did you find the sale (interested myself :-)?
The Pro version is now integrated, once you have paid, as far as I
understand. There's a family version too (USD 45 for 5 computers).
You can try it for free (3 auctions max), and it will calculate the fees
using e-bay's current fee schedules, which are automatically downloaded.
http://www.iwascoding.com/GarageSale/
You can keept track of whether you have received payment, sent off goods
etc - also there is a field for notes for each article.

> If I were her I'd use two apps for these two things, but she is
> currently using one app. And while Excel is overkill for her needs, she
> doesn't want to switch from one app to two to take care of the ebay
> stuff _and_ the job app stuff.

There is a point to it.
If she is comfortable with Excel - why change?
If she has to do profit and loss - Garage sale will not do it.

But then again, for job applications I'd rather have nice documents done
in Pages - the actual tracking can easily be done with a table in Pages,
there is nothing to calculate.

HTH

Marc

--
Switzerland/Europe
<http://www.heusser.com>
remove CHEERS and from MERCIAL to get valid e-mail
0
Marc
12/16/2005 6:50:04 AM
In article <1h7lpxt.1ml5mjb14w5yumN%no_email_address@hotmail.com>,
 no_email_address@hotmail.com (Sara Garland) wrote:

> Not just contact info -- she needs to keep track of who she sent packets
> out to, when, and what responses there were if any.

Sounds contact-related to me.  With intelligent use of Address Book
groups and the note field, you have the foundation of a very basic
database for what she needs.

> She uses Excel for simple calculations for the ebay stuff, so a database
> of some kind would be needed. But she doesn't want to have to delve
> deeply into any new app, so I was looking for something as simple as
> possible for her to quickly learn work with. Otherwise she won't use it.

Depending on the particulars of the calculations being done, check out
CalcService:

http://www.devon-technologies.com/products/freeware/services.php

But it's all about the details of what she is doing and what she is
willing to use.  It's quite possible a simple Terminal front-end to
SQLite could suit her, but if she isn't motivated enough to ditch Excel
and play with something else then the suggestions here won't amount to
much.
0
Doc
12/16/2005 11:11:49 AM
wrote:

> > since there's now a $19.95 sale on it. But my understanding is that is
> > essentially only halps with listing, and that recordkeeping and fee
> > calculation required the subscription-based 'Garagesale Pro'
>
> Where did you find the sale (interested myself :-)?

There was an electronic coupon sent to everyone who participated in a
recent drawing for the app at tidbits.com. I sent the link to my sister,
but didn't save my email, sorry.
0
no_email_address
12/16/2005 4:21:23 PM
On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 21:15:47 GMT, Sara Garland wrote:

> I got my sister to switch a couple of months ago.
>
> She needs a simple database to keep track of (1) ebay auctions she does
> [item, price, shipping costs, winner's address, whether she's gotten
> feedback yet, maybe even email-attachments or texts] and (2) job
> applications.
>
> Currently she's using Microsoft Excel, which is sort of doing the job,
> but is very clunky.
>
> Is there something easier and more user-friendly she can try out or get
> that's less expensive than Filemaker?

SQLite
0
Damir