Stop App Store wanting to update deleted app

A few months ago, I downloaded MS OneNote, as it was so highly recommended by the App Store.  I hated it!  So, I deleted every file I could find connected with it, using 'FindAnyFile'.

A new version has been released, and the App Store wants to update my version, which doesn't exist.  I've chosen to 'Hide purchase' in the App Store, but this hasn't made any difference.

I don't know if the App Store is finding a hidden file on my Mac, or keeps a log of its own.  The App Store doesn't suggest the update for my other two Macs, which did not have OneNote installed.

This is on a Mac Pro with Yosemite 10.10.3

Any ideas about how to persuade the App Store that I haven't got OneNote, and don't want it?  Any suggestions, gratefully appreciated.

Clive
0
c_barrows

<c_barrows@fsmail.net> wrote:

> A few months ago, I downloaded MS OneNote, as it was so highly recommended
> by the App Store.  I hated it!  So, I deleted every file I could find
> connected with it, using 'FindAnyFile'.
>
> A new version has been released, and the App Store wants to update my
> version, which doesn't exist.  I've chosen to 'Hide purchase' in the App
> Store, but this hasn't made any difference.

This probably means that App Store has found a copy of the application
somewhere on your computer.

Do you perhaps have a backup drive attached, which still has a copy of
the application on that? App Store will offer to update an app on any
attached drive (including network drives) if it can be found via
Spotlight.

Time Machine backups are excluded from this mechanism, because they have
an independent Spotlight index.

--
David Empson
dempson@actrix.gen.nz
> Do you perhaps have a backup drive attached, which still has a copy of
the application on that? App Store will offer to update an app on any
attached drive (including network drives) if it can be found via
Spotlight.=20

Thank you - you're absolutely right.  I did have a version on an internal b=
ackup drive, which I have now fully deleted, and that has cured the problem=
..  I had previously thought that the two separate systems were dealt with s=
eparately by developers, including Apple (if Apple is a developer!), but th=
is is obviously not so.

Thanks again for your help.  I now know for the future.

Clive
0
c_barrows

Hovsepian: Apps! Apps! Apps!
Novell CEO: Apps Are Job No. 1 for Linux http://www.cio-today.com/story.xhtml?story_id=021001VE8HV3 <<< In order for Linux to grow into the computing mainstream, the open- source OS needs more applications and a standardized approach to software certification, Novell CEO Ron Hovsepian said in his keynote Wednesday at the LinuxWorld conference and trade show in San Francisco. "The No. 1 thing that we need on Linux is applications," he said. "Whether we like it or not, the application is what drives the final customer decision," he added. >>> John Bail...

App Store is not a store for apps
"Hi, I've got an iPhone and I would like to buy an app for it." "What's the problem?" "Well, at what store do I buy the app?" "At the App Store." "Huh?" "You buy an app for your iPhone at the App Store." "No, Apple says an app store is not a store for apps, so where do I buy my app?" "At the App Store." Okay... I'm talking, but you're not listening. Apple says that the App Store is *not* a store for apps, so *where* do *I* *buy* an app for my iPhone? "At the App Store." &quo...

App Store.app
I just updated to 10.6.6, and was playing with the App Store.app. I wanted to DL a couple of the free apps, but discovered that to DL _anything_, you need to register a credit card. Since I dislike leaving any credit card info in any vendor's database, I'm wondering if there's a way to avoid this part of the registration process, entering your credit card info ONLY when needed to make a specific purchase. -- iMac (27", 3.2 GHz Intel Core i3, 4 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD) � OS X (10.6.6) On 28/01/11 17:29, Nick Naym wrote: > I just updated to 10.6.6, and was playing with ...

Speed-Up.app from Mac App Store
Has anyone purchased, or know anything about, Speed-Up.app, which is available from the Mac App Store? (This is not an iPhone app.) It looks like it would be useful to me for playing back songs in iTunes at variable speeds, but I can't find any documentation for it to even see how it works. The Mac App Store info says it works with 10.5+, but it hasn't been updated since Jan 2011. The link to "Speed-Up Support" is broken but it does get you to a site that advertises Speed-Up as an iTunes plug-in. However, there's remarkably little there about Speed-Up, s...

mac app store apps dl limits
Was thinking about picking up an app or two or three (pages, numbers and find any file). Apple person at the store said the Apple apps aren't just one system per buy but thought there was some sort of limit. Is this a app store variable, an app variable or what? And would anyone know what the deal is on the above mentioned apps is? Would re-installing software require a deauth before hand? In article <l5c6qq$tfa$1@dont-email.me>, M. John Matlaw <nouser@invalid.com> wrote: > Was thinking about picking up an app or two or three (pages, numbers and > fi...

App Store app fails to find updates for iMac
When I click on Updates at the top of the App Store app on my iMac, a wheel at the top left corner spins for a minute or two and then stops, leaving a blank window except for the toolbar icons on top and the Copyright statement at the bottom. It does NOT say "No updates found" (like it used to when there were no updates), nor does it show any recent updates like it used to. The Updates icon at the top shows a circled "1", and iTunes (11.2.2) says that there's an update (11.3). When iTunes starts up App Store to download the update, App Store spins and spins ...

Play Store: Turn Off Auto Updates App-By-App?
Not liking surprises, I'd like to make some apps so that they do not update automatically. Instead, I'd want a confirmation. Not all apps, just some. Is there a way once the app has already been installed? -- Pete Cresswell On 01/11/2013 16:06, (PeteCresswell) wrote: > Not liking surprises, I'd like to make some apps so that they do not > update automatically. Instead, I'd want a confirmation. > > Not all apps, just some. > > Is there a way once the app has already been installed? > In Play Store, touch top right of screen to get Set...

Reviewing Apps at the App Store
I do not own an iOS device, so I'm talking about the Mac App Store here. However iOS users may have similar experiences so read on. One week ago I downloaded the free miDVD app from the Mac App Store. It's a very, very bare-bones DVD creator, and I was pretty sure of its limitations from the get-go. After a couple of days I wrote a short lukewarm review of the app and posted it to the App Store. I compared it with similar free and payware products including iDVD, mentioning the fact the iLife '09 is still available at that "jungle-themed" online retailer...

Update app from within the app
I would like to offer the ability to update my app from a menu option (i.e. check for update). However I really have no idea how to implement it. Can anyone point me in the right direction? On 2/27/11 7:33 PM, Nickname unavailable wrote: > I would like to offer the ability to update my app from a menu option > (i.e. check for update). However I really have no idea how to > implement it. > > Can anyone point me in the right direction? There are several ways to do this, depending on how in-depth you want to go. The simplest part is to store a file on a server som...

Mac App Store giving away pay apps for free
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/01/07/app_store_receipt_fail/ <quotes> Security oversights mean that many of the applications in Apple's newly launched Mac App Store can easily be obtained without payment. A significant number of developers have disregarded Apple's advice on validating App Store receipts before making their software available through the store. As a result, many applications can be pirated. Applications bought through the store can be modified to run by any Apple user (not just restricted to a specific Apple ID, prompting users to log into a...

Apple: an 'App Store' Is Not a Store For Apps
<http://apple.slashdot.org/story/11/05/20/1947231/Apple-an-App-Store-Is-Not-a-Store-For-Apps> <quote> "What would be your first guess about what an app store sells? Don't be fooled, Apple warns, the phrase 'app store' is not generic and can only be used to describe Cupertino's... um, app store? 'Apple denies that, based on their common meaning, the words "app store" together denote a store for apps,' Apple said in a Thursday filing with a California district court. All this notwithstanding that Jobs himself used the phrase generically while r...

Crypto-Apps: Ciphers App-1 and App-2.
These ciphers are available now for free downloading from, http://www.adacryptpages.com (navigate to the bottom title boxes). Crypto-App Ciphers - Apps_1 & 2. - Personalised Cryptography for Tablets, L= aptops, Desktop, Main Frame Computers in Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8. Download App_1=20 Download App_2=20 No need to study the cryptography, the mathematics, the programming, the co= mputer science (unless you really want to and then you just peruse the othe= r title boxes on the same site) - instead, just teach yourself to run these= 'apps' as you would any other app...

An app to find apps
Enjoying an IPad 3 and wondered if there is an app to search for and find apps. With 600,000 apps it might make sense. In article <johg9a$dal$1@dont-email.me>, Charles <charlesschuler@comcast.net> wrote: > Enjoying an IPad 3 and wondered if there is an app to search for and find > apps. With 600,000 apps it might make sense. the app store app, along with a number of other apps that list apps of the day or other things. or just launch safari (or another browser) and search via google. On Thu, 10 May 2012 18:42:50 -0400, Charles wrote: > Enjoying ...

Using the app app at the Apple store
I've read several times about the ability to take my iPhone to the apple store, point my phone at some product, and have the app store app purchase it, so I can walk out with the product without talking to anybody. I thought it was a neat idea, and think I should do it once. I opened my app store and didn't see any indicator on how to do this, so I Googled to find instructions on how to do it - without success. Anybody have a link that explains the details on how to do this? In article <m8noo7tceustpebboj2r7cc4c23f7m139m@4ax.com>, Howard Brazee <howard@brazee....

Web resources about - Stop App Store wanting to update deleted app - comp.sys.mac.apps

Ronda Rousey congratulates Holly Holms in SNL monologue: sincere?
Being an Olympian and UFC Champion isn’t enough for Ronda Rousey; she’s added actress to her list of hyphens. With small parts in Entourage , ...

Storm Jonas fall-out sees airlines cancel thousands of flights
Federal offices and schools will remain closed in the nation’s capital on Monday and public transportation will continue to be affected. State ...

Three Top Executives Are Leaving Twitter, Reports Say
The executives in charge of Twitter’s product, engineering, and media divisions are on their way out, according to multiple reports published ...

Britain examining latest purported Islamic State video
Britain is examining the latest video published on Sunday by the media centre of Islamic State, Prime Minister David Cameron's spokeswoman said ...

Watch: Major Winter Storm Pummels the Easy Coast
The historic blizzard killed at least two dozen people and covered New York City with nearly 27 inches of snow.

Manhunt intensifies for escaped LA-area inmates
CBS News Manhunt intensifies for escaped LA-area inmates CBS News LOS ANGELES It was a daring and elaborate escape: cutting through metal, ...

Watch: Swimming Athletes Continue Practice During Blizzard
Athletic swimmers from West Virginia University and Hatboro Horsham High School didn't let the blizzard stop them from getting ready for their ...

US election 2016: Michael Bloomberg eyeing independent run for the White House
The 73-year-old former NYC mayor reportedly willing to use $1b of own money to fund campaign.

Azarenka, in form, and into Australian Open quarterfinals
MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) — Victoria Azarenka couldn't get off court quickly enough to check the score after reaching the Australian Open quarterfinals. ...

American Airlines: 7 hospitalized after severe turbulence aboard flight to Italy
CNN American Airlines: 7 hospitalized after severe turbulence aboard flight to Italy CNN (CNN) Severe turbulence aboard an American Airlines ...