http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010/12/16macappstore.html

SK.
0
Paw

Paw <213sk@accessforall.invalid> wrote:

> to open on January 6...
>
> http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010/12/16macappstore.html
>
> SK.

*yawn* Still, I suppose it's helpful for Mac newbies and devs who aren't
happy with any kagi and *shudder* paypal, etc.
jamiekg
12/16/2010 6:27:13 PM
In article <1jtmval.14ld5q1i5h1qyN%jamiekg@wizardling.geek.nz>,
 jamiekg@wizardling.geek.nz (Jamie Kahn Genet) wrote:

> Paw <213sk@accessforall.invalid> wrote:
>
> > to open on January 6...
> >
> > http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010/12/16macappstore.html
> >
> > SK.
>
> *yawn* Still, I suppose it's helpful for Mac newbies and devs who aren't
> happy with any kagi and *shudder* paypal, etc.

Yawn indeed...

JR
0
Jolly
12/16/2010 6:30:23 PM
In article <4d0a2097$0$20005$e4fe514c@dreader27.news.xs4all.nl>,
 Paw <213sk@accessforall.invalid> wrote:

> 16macappstore.html

From this site:

   �The App Store revolutionized mobile apps,� said Steve Jobs,
   Apple�s CEO. �We hope to do the same for PC apps with the
   Mac App Store by making finding and buying PC apps easy
   and fun. We can�t wait to get started on January 6.�

Is the Mac now officially known as a "PC", and not a "Mac"?
0
AES
12/16/2010 8:15:23 PM
In message <siegman-4B87C0.12152316122010@BMEDCFSC-SRV02.tufts.ad.tufts.edu>
     AES <siegman@stanford.edu> wrote:

> In article <4d0a2097$0$20005$e4fe514c@dreader27.news.xs4all.nl>,
>  Paw <213sk@accessforall.invalid> wrote:
>
> > 16macappstore.html
>
> From this site:
>
>    �The App Store revolutionized mobile apps,� said Steve Jobs,
>    Apple�s CEO. �We hope to do the same for PC apps with the
>    Mac App Store by making finding and buying PC apps easy
>    and fun. We can�t wait to get started on January 6.�
>
> Is the Mac now officially known as a "PC", and not a "Mac"?

A PC is a personal computer. MS just kidnapped the term just as they did
'Windows' despite that other computers used windows.

What's the phrase? "Embrace and extend"?

--
Fred
0
<siegman-4B87C0.12152316122010@BMEDCFSC-SRV02.tufts.ad.tufts.edu>,
 AES <siegman@stanford.edu> wrote:

> In article <4d0a2097$0$20005$e4fe514c@dreader27.news.xs4all.nl>,
>  Paw <213sk@accessforall.invalid> wrote:
>
> > 16macappstore.html
>
> From this site:
>
>    �The App Store revolutionized mobile apps,� said Steve Jobs,
>    Apple�s CEO. �We hope to do the same for PC apps with the
>    Mac App Store by making finding and buying PC apps easy
>    and fun. We can�t wait to get started on January 6.�
>
> Is the Mac now officially known as a "PC", and not a "Mac"?

Actually, since PC originally meant "personal computer", the Mac has
always been a PC,  It's just that Microsoft users have taken it over for
their machines to the point where no one realizes they've turned a
generic into a specific subdivision any more.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist

http://www.mosaictelecom.com/~erilarlo
0
erilar
12/17/2010 1:06:35 AM
In article <drache-CD1032.19063516122010@news.eternal-september.org>,
 erilar <drache@chibardun.net.invalid> wrote:

> In article
> <siegman-4B87C0.12152316122010@BMEDCFSC-SRV02.tufts.ad.tufts.edu>,
>  AES <siegman@stanford.edu> wrote:
>
> > In article <4d0a2097$0$20005$e4fe514c@dreader27.news.xs4all.nl>,
> >  Paw <213sk@accessforall.invalid> wrote:
> >
> > > 16macappstore.html
> >
> > From this site:
> >
> >    �The App Store revolutionized mobile apps,� said Steve Jobs,
> >    Apple�s CEO. �We hope to do the same for PC apps with the
> >    Mac App Store by making finding and buying PC apps easy
> >    and fun. We can�t wait to get started on January 6.�
> >
> > Is the Mac now officially known as a "PC", and not a "Mac"?
>
> Actually, since PC originally meant "personal computer", the Mac has
> always been a PC,  It's just that Microsoft users have taken it over for
> their machines to the point where no one realizes they've turned a
> generic into a specific subdivision any more.

But Apple seems to have accepted this use of the term to refer to
Windows-based computers, through their PC-vs-Mac commercials.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA
  Jamie Kahn Genet <jamiekg@wizardling.geek.nz> wrote:
> Paw <213sk@accessforall.invalid> wrote:

>> to open on January 6...
>>
>> http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010/12/16macappstore.html
>>
>> SK.

> *yawn* Still, I suppose it's helpful for Mac newbies and devs who aren't
> happy with any kagi and *shudder* paypal, etc.

I would be happy to see Kagi (spit!) go away.

I will be very interested to see what is on the App Store on the 6th,
and eve more interested to see what's on it on July 6th.

--
'We get that in here some nights, when someone's had a few. Cosmic
speculation about whether the gods exist. Next thing, there's a bolt of
Lewis <g.kreme@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:

> In message <1jtmval.14ld5q1i5h1qyN%jamiekg@wizardling.geek.nz>
>   Jamie Kahn Genet <jamiekg@wizardling.geek.nz> wrote:
> > Paw <213sk@accessforall.invalid> wrote:
>
> >> to open on January 6...
> >>
> >> http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010/12/16macappstore.html
> >>
> >> SK.
>
> > *yawn* Still, I suppose it's helpful for Mac newbies and devs who aren't
> > happy with kagi and *shudder* paypal, etc.
>
> I would be happy to see Kagi (spit!) go away.
>
> I will be very interested to see what is on the App Store on the 6th,
> and eve more interested to see what's on it on July 6th.

What's wrong with kagi? I've bought lots of shareware from them, but
come to think of it, not much in the past five years. Have they gone
downhill somehow? :-( Nevertheless they've yet to screw me over like
paypal has.
jamiekg
12/17/2010 8:14:15 PM
In message <siegman-4B87C0.12152316122010@BMEDCFSC-SRV02.tufts.ad.tufts.edu>
  AES <siegman@stanford.edu> wrote:
> In article <4d0a2097$0$20005$e4fe514c@dreader27.news.xs4all.nl>,
>  Paw <213sk@accessforall.invalid> wrote:

>> 16macappstore.html

> From this site:

>    ³The App Store revolutionized mobile apps,² said Steve Jobs,
>    Apple¹s CEO. ³We hope to do the same for PC apps with the
>    Mac App Store by making finding and buying PC apps easy
>    and fun. We can¹t wait to get started on January 6.²

> Is the Mac now officially known as a "PC", and not a "Mac"?

The Mac has always been a PC. And so was the Apple // line, and the
Commodores, Ataris, and others.

--
Is this the light of a new day dawning? A future bright that you can
walk in? No, it's just another Monday Morning, do it all over again!
Kahn Genet <jamiekg@wizardling.geek.nz> wrote:

> Lewis <g.kreme@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:
>
> > In message <1jtmval.14ld5q1i5h1qyN%jamiekg@wizardling.geek.nz>
> >   Jamie Kahn Genet <jamiekg@wizardling.geek.nz> wrote:

> > > *yawn* Still, I suppose it's helpful for Mac newbies and devs who aren't
> > > happy with kagi and *shudder* paypal, etc.
> >
> > I would be happy to see Kagi (spit!) go away.
> >
> > I will be very interested to see what is on the App Store on the 6th,
> > and eve more interested to see what's on it on July 6th.
>
> What's wrong with kagi? I've bought lots of shareware from them, but
> come to think of it, not much in the past five years. Have they gone
> downhill somehow? :-( Nevertheless they've yet to screw me over like
> paypal has.

I used also used to buy a lot from Kagi, probably back in the 90's.
Seems like I read somewhere they take a higher cut from developers.

--
Ed H.
0
Ed H. <fake@notreal.net> wrote:

> In article <1jtouvc.p8o2uu3zrf1uN%jamiekg@wizardling.geek.nz>, Jamie
> Kahn Genet <jamiekg@wizardling.geek.nz> wrote:
>
> > Lewis <g.kreme@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:

> > > I would be happy to see Kagi (spit!) go away.
> > >
> > > I will be very interested to see what is on the App Store on the 6th,
> > > and eve more interested to see what's on it on July 6th.
> >
> > What's wrong with kagi? I've bought lots of shareware from them, but
> > come to think of it, not much in the past five years. Have they gone
> > downhill somehow? :-( Nevertheless they've yet to screw me over like
> > paypal has.
>
> I used also used to buy a lot from Kagi, probably back in the 90's.
> Seems like I read somewhere they take a higher cut from developers.

I guess you get what you pay for.
jamiekg