Which e-mail client to use w/DSL? Entourage or Mail.app

I just signed up for Verizon DSL and am in the process of switching
away from AOL as my wife and I use the e-mail service only and not all
the other fluff they overcharge for.  That being said, I can either
use Entourage or Mail.app as my mail client.  I'm running the newest
version of Mac OSX.  My wife is used to simplicity (open her inbox for
new mail) and ease of use so I need to keep it that way.  Any
opinions??
0
egbradlee

egbradlee@aol.com (Gardner Bradlee) writes:

> That being said, I can either
> use Entourage or Mail.app as my mail client.  I'm running the newest
> version of Mac OSX.  My wife is used to simplicity (open her inbox for
> new mail) and ease of use so I need to keep it that way.  Any
> opinions??

Use whichever you prefer.  If you want simplicity, I'd probably
go with Mail.app, since it's nothing _but_ a mail app, whereas
Entourage is lots of other things.

While you're at it, I'd look into using a third-party mail
service provider instead of Verizon's.  That way, if you
change your ISP, you can keep all of your mail.  Besides,
you could then get a service provider who gives you IMAP
instead of POP - which makes it trivial to use _both_
mail clients and/or switch between them as you like.

--
Plain Bread alone for e-mail, thanks.  The rest gets trashed.
No HTML in E-Mail! --    http://www.expita.com/nomime.html
 egbradlee@aol.com (Gardner Bradlee) wrote:

> I just signed up for Verizon DSL and am in the process of switching
> away from AOL as my wife and I use the e-mail service only and not all
> the other fluff they overcharge for.  That being said, I can either
> use Entourage or Mail.app as my mail client.  I'm running the newest
> version of Mac OSX.  My wife is used to simplicity (open her inbox for
> new mail) and ease of use so I need to keep it that way.  Any
> opinions??

Many of us like Eudora a lot, and I'm currently using it on a low-grade
DSL connection -- though TBH I'm still in OS 9.2, and have not
personally compared it to any of the other apps.
0
AES
12/2/2003 5:22:31 PM
In article <yobbrqrs0u9.fsf@panix3.panix.com>,
<BreadWithSpam@fractious.net> wrote:

> egbradlee@aol.com (Gardner Bradlee) writes:
>
> > That being said, I can either
> > use Entourage or Mail.app as my mail client.  I'm running the newest
> > version of Mac OSX.  My wife is used to simplicity (open her inbox for
> > new mail) and ease of use so I need to keep it that way.  Any
> > opinions??
>
> Use whichever you prefer.  If you want simplicity, I'd probably
> go with Mail.app, since it's nothing _but_ a mail app, whereas
> Entourage is lots of other things.
>
> While you're at it, I'd look into using a third-party mail
> service provider instead of Verizon's.  That way, if you
> change your ISP, you can keep all of your mail.  Besides,
> you could then get a service provider who gives you IMAP
> instead of POP - which makes it trivial to use _both_
> mail clients and/or switch between them as you like.

See fastmail.fm for an inexpensive account of this type ($15 one-time
fee).

--
Jerry Kindall, Seattle, WA                <http://www.jerrykindall.com/>

        Send only plain text messages under 32K to the Reply-To address.
        This mailbox is filtered aggressively to thwart spam and viruses.
0
Jerry