   -Nick (Gone Girl), Gillian Flynn.
0
Alan
11/25/2016 11:08:57 PM
comp.sys.mac.apps 21416 articles. 2 followers. xxx613 (1335) is leader. Post Follow

On 2016-11-25, Alan Browne <alan.browne@freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote:

> I've seen this a few times of late.  Mail sending and receiving 1 - 4 kB
> of data nonstop for hours.
>
> If I restart Mail then it's at 0.  But at some point after ... it goes
> again.  It's set to check POP accounts every 30 minutes.

First take a look to see what hosts Mail is contacting. You can run the
nettop tool, then type c to collapse the listing, find Mail in the list,
and then type e to expand the list to see the hosts Mail is
communicating with.

Once you know the host name in question, you can easily watch the data
Mail is transferring with something like:

sudo tcpdump -s 0 -A -i en0 host my.mail.host

JR
0
Jolly
11/26/2016 12:15:12 AM
On 2016-11-25 19:15, Jolly Roger wrote:
> On 2016-11-25, Alan Browne <alan.browne@freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote:
>>
>> I've seen this a few times of late.  Mail sending and receiving 1 - 4 kB
>> of data nonstop for hours.
>>
>> If I restart Mail then it's at 0.  But at some point after ... it goes
>> again.  It's set to check POP accounts every 30 minutes.
>
> First take a look to see what hosts Mail is contacting. You can run the
> nettop tool, then type c to collapse the listing, find Mail in the list,
> and then type e to expand the list to see the hosts Mail is
> communicating with.

Thanks!

> Once you know the host name in question, you can easily watch the data
> Mail is transferring with something like:
>
> sudo tcpdump -s 0 -A -i en0 host my.mail.host

Of course!  (!)

Let's see if the usual suspect is Google.

--
She hummed to herself because she was an unrivaled botcher of lyrics.
   -Nick (Gone Girl), Gillian Flynn.
0
Alan
11/26/2016 12:29:57 AM
In message <e9s2ggFlh1dU1@mid.individual.net>
  Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:
> On 2016-11-25, Alan Browne <alan.browne@freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote:
>>
>> I've seen this a few times of late.  Mail sending and receiving 1 - 4 kB
>> of data nonstop for hours.
>>
>> If I restart Mail then it's at 0.  But at some point after ... it goes
>> again.  It's set to check POP accounts every 30 minutes.

> First take a look to see what hosts Mail is contacting. You can run the
> nettop tool, then type c to collapse the listing, find Mail in the list,
> and then type e to expand the list to see the hosts Mail is
> communicating with.

Mail.app has a built in logging mechanism that logs *everything* it does.

Window -> Connection Doctor > Log Connection Activity.

--
MS Word still hasn't caught up -- it has more bells and whistles, but not as
many pistons and cylinders. -- Steve Hayes
On 2016-11-25 19:45, Lewis wrote:
> In message <e9s2ggFlh1dU1@mid.individual.net>
>   Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:
>> On 2016-11-25, Alan Browne <alan.browne@freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote:
>>>
>>> I've seen this a few times of late.  Mail sending and receiving 1 - 4 kB
>>> of data nonstop for hours.
>>>
>>> If I restart Mail then it's at 0.  But at some point after ... it goes
>>> again.  It's set to check POP accounts every 30 minutes.
>
>> First take a look to see what hosts Mail is contacting. You can run the
>> nettop tool, then type c to collapse the listing, find Mail in the list,
>> and then type e to expand the list to see the hosts Mail is
>> communicating with.
>
> Mail.app has a built in logging mechanism that logs *everything* it does.

Are you seeing a similar behaviour?

Logs to who/where/why?  If you mean what you say below - that was off.

> Window -> Connection Doctor > Log Connection Activity.

That was off.  Turned on now.  I'll see what pops up.

--
She hummed to herself because she was an unrivaled botcher of lyrics.
   -Nick (Gone Girl), Gillian Flynn.
0
Alan
11/26/2016 1:30:35 AM
In message <KcudnQoDM9EmeKXFnZ2dnUU7-U2dnZ2d@giganews.com>
  Alan Browne <alan.browne@freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote:
> On 2016-11-25 19:45, Lewis wrote:
>> In message <e9s2ggFlh1dU1@mid.individual.net>
>>   Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:

>>> First take a look to see what hosts Mail is contacting. You can run the
>>> nettop tool, then type c to collapse the listing, find Mail in the list,
>>> and then type e to expand the list to see the hosts Mail is
>>> communicating with.
>>
>> Mail.app has a built in logging mechanism that logs *everything* it does.

> Are you seeing a similar behaviour?

It would take a great deal of effort for me to notice 1-4 kB of data.

> Logs to who/where/why?  If you mean what you say below - that was off.

Yes, it is normally off. There is a button "Show logs"

>> Window -> Connection Doctor > Log Connection Activity.

> That was off.  Turned on now.  I'll see what pops up.

Don't leave it on, those logs will be massive very quickly.

--
The voice of the majority is no proof of justice.
0
 Lewis <g.kreme@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:

> In message <KcudnQoDM9EmeKXFnZ2dnUU7-U2dnZ2d@giganews.com>
>   Alan Browne <alan.browne@freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote:
> > On 2016-11-25 19:45, Lewis wrote:

> >> Mail.app has a built in logging mechanism that logs *everything* it does.
>
> > Are you seeing a similar behaviour?
>
> It would take a great deal of effort for me to notice 1-4 kB of data.
>
> > Logs to who/where/why?  If you mean what you say below - that was off.
>
> Yes, it is normally off. There is a button "Show logs"
>
> >> Window -> Connection Doctor > Log Connection Activity.
>
> > That was off.  Turned on now.  I'll see what pops up.
>
> Don't leave it on, those logs will be massive very quickly.

Another thing you can do is open the Activity window, to see what it's
doing at the moment.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA
On 2016-11-25 22:07, Lewis wrote:
> In message <KcudnQoDM9EmeKXFnZ2dnUU7-U2dnZ2d@giganews.com>
>   Alan Browne <alan.browne@freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote:
>> On 2016-11-25 19:45, Lewis wrote:

>>> Mail.app has a built in logging mechanism that logs *everything* it does.
>
>> Are you seeing a similar behaviour?
>
> It would take a great deal of effort for me to notice 1-4 kB of data.

It shows very clearly in iStat - there's not always stuff going in/out.

>> Logs to who/where/why?  If you mean what you say below - that was off.
>
> Yes, it is normally off. There is a button "Show logs"

I misunderstood you initially - I thought you meant the data I'm seeing
is due to the logs.

>>> Window -> Connection Doctor > Log Connection Activity.
>
>> That was off.  Turned on now.  I'll see what pops up.
>
> Don't leave it on, those logs will be massive very quickly.

I'll look very soon as it is doing it right now.

--
She hummed to herself because she was an unrivaled botcher of lyrics.
   -Nick (Gone Girl), Gillian Flynn.
0
Alan
11/26/2016 1:52:58 PM
On 2016-11-25 23:53, Barry Margolin wrote:
> In article <slrno3hv6q.phe.g.kreme@snow.local>,
>  Lewis <g.kreme@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:
>
>> In message <KcudnQoDM9EmeKXFnZ2dnUU7-U2dnZ2d@giganews.com>
>>   Alan Browne <alan.browne@freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote:

>>> Are you seeing a similar behaviour?
>>
>> It would take a great deal of effort for me to notice 1-4 kB of data.
>>
>>> Logs to who/where/why?  If you mean what you say below - that was off.
>>
>> Yes, it is normally off. There is a button "Show logs"

>>> That was off.  Turned on now.  I'll see what pops up.
>>
>> Don't leave it on, those logs will be massive very quickly.
>
> Another thing you can do is open the Activity window, to see what it's
> doing at the moment.

No messages - flickering.  As if Mail is continuously checking and being
told nothing to report.  I'll look at the logs and see what's up...

--
She hummed to herself because she was an unrivaled botcher of lyrics.
   -Nick (Gone Girl), Gillian Flynn.
0
Alan
11/26/2016 1:55:01 PM
On 2016-11-25 19:45, Lewis wrote:
> In message <e9s2ggFlh1dU1@mid.individual.net>
>   Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:
>> On 2016-11-25, Alan Browne <alan.browne@freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote:
>>>
>>> I've seen this a few times of late.  Mail sending and receiving 1 - 4 kB
>>> of data nonstop for hours.
>>>
>>> If I restart Mail then it's at 0.  But at some point after ... it goes
>>> again.  It's set to check POP accounts every 30 minutes.
>
>> First take a look to see what hosts Mail is contacting. You can run the
>> nettop tool, then type c to collapse the listing, find Mail in the list,
>> and then type e to expand the list to see the hosts Mail is
>> communicating with.
>
> Mail.app has a built in logging mechanism that logs *everything* it does.
>
> Window -> Connection Doctor > Log Connection Activity.

That was fruitful.

The guilty connection is gmail imap.  Whether the traffic originates at
Gmail (sending IMAP and Mail replying or Mail sending to Gmail and Gmail
replying) is less clear.  It's also not clear which Gmail account (of 3)
that the log is recording from.

(The other Gmail log files are relatively small and have 30 minute
intervals - the guilty one logged over 15 MB of reports - from last
night to this am - and the computer was in Sleep for most of that time).

The one POP account is being pinged on schedule (30 minute intervals).

READ Nov 26 08:38:27.924 [kCFStreamSocketSecurityLevelTLSv1_2] --
host:imap.gmail.com -- port:993 -- socket:0x610000111110 --
thread:0x608000111180
258.232 OK IDLE terminated (Success)

Above is repeating several times per second - and of course Mail is
replying to it.  (or v-v).

I've changed some settings on the GMail end - probably won't do much to
improve this.  But starting a fresh log set - maybe find out what
"kicks" this off.

--
She hummed to herself because she was an unrivaled botcher of lyrics.
   -Nick (Gone Girl), Gillian Flynn.
0
Alan
11/26/2016 2:51:05 PM
In message <1pSdnfcQxcIkDqTFnZ2dnUU7-RvNnZ2d@giganews.com>
  Alan Browne <alan.browne@freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote:
> On 2016-11-25 22:07, Lewis wrote:
>> In message <KcudnQoDM9EmeKXFnZ2dnUU7-U2dnZ2d@giganews.com>
>>   Alan Browne <alan.browne@freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote:

>>> Are you seeing a similar behaviour?
>>
>> It would take a great deal of effort for me to notice 1-4 kB of data.

> It shows very clearly in iStat - there's not always stuff going in/out.

There is always something going in and out on my computer. To notice
anything under about 10Mb of traffic would take me effort.

--
"There's a light that shines on everything & everyone. And it shines so
bright - brighter even than the sun". That's what Minnie thinks as she
  Alan Browne <alan.browne@freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote:
> On 2016-11-25 19:45, Lewis wrote:
>> In message <e9s2ggFlh1dU1@mid.individual.net>
>>   Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:

>>> First take a look to see what hosts Mail is contacting. You can run the
>>> nettop tool, then type c to collapse the listing, find Mail in the list,
>>> and then type e to expand the list to see the hosts Mail is
>>> communicating with.
>>
>> Mail.app has a built in logging mechanism that logs *everything* it does.
>>
>> Window -> Connection Doctor > Log Connection Activity.

> That was fruitful.

> The guilty connection is gmail imap.  Whether the traffic originates at
> Gmail (sending IMAP and Mail replying or Mail sending to Gmail and Gmail
> replying) is less clear.  It's also not clear which Gmail account (of 3)
> that the log is recording from.

I don't think you mentioned an IMAP account before now.

Yes, IMAP will always be checking the status of mailboxes on the server,
that is how IMAP works. This is not a fault.

> (The other Gmail log files are relatively small and have 30 minute
> intervals - the guilty one logged over 15 MB of reports - from last
> night to this am - and the computer was in Sleep for most of that time).

As I said, the logs are large.

--
'I thought we could do it without anyone getting hurt. By using our
brains.' 'Can't. History don't work like that. Blood first, then
On 2016-11-26 15:07, Lewis wrote:
> In message <1pSdnfcQxcIkDqTFnZ2dnUU7-RvNnZ2d@giganews.com>
>   Alan Browne <alan.browne@freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote:
>> On 2016-11-25 22:07, Lewis wrote:

>>> It would take a great deal of effort for me to notice 1-4 kB of data.
>
>> It shows very clearly in iStat - there's not always stuff going in/out.
>
> There is always something going in and out on my computer. To notice
> anything under about 10Mb of traffic would take me effort.

That's 1.25 MB/s all of the time?  Seems extravagant unless you're
supporting a small co. on that one machine.

--
She hummed to herself because she was an unrivaled botcher of lyrics.
   -Nick (Gone Girl), Gillian Flynn.
0
Alan
11/27/2016 12:22:35 AM
On 2016-11-26 15:09, Lewis wrote:
> In message <PaidnfdRC8LFPKTFnZ2dnUU7-b3NnZ2d@giganews.com>
>   Alan Browne <alan.browne@freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote:
>> On 2016-11-25 19:45, Lewis wrote:

>>> Mail.app has a built in logging mechanism that logs *everything* it does.
>>>
>>> Window -> Connection Doctor > Log Connection Activity.
>
>> That was fruitful.
>
>> The guilty connection is gmail imap.  Whether the traffic originates at
>> Gmail (sending IMAP and Mail replying or Mail sending to Gmail and Gmail
>> replying) is less clear.  It's also not clear which Gmail account (of 3)
>> that the log is recording from.
>
> I don't think you mentioned an IMAP account before now.
>
> Yes, IMAP will always be checking the status of mailboxes on the server,
> that is how IMAP works. This is not a fault.

I never said IMAP communication was a fault.  This constant 1 - 4 kB/s
certainly is unusual.  Right now, for example, it is 0 in and out with
occasional bursts for this or that.  Unless mail is being updated there
is no need for any data to move.

>> (The other Gmail log files are relatively small and have 30 minute
>> intervals - the guilty one logged over 15 MB of reports - from last
>> night to this am - and the computer was in Sleep for most of that time).
>
> As I said, the logs are large.

That's no issue if, while logged, it helps me pinpoint the issue.  Since
the last restart of Mail, this am, it's been quite quiet.