Airport computer to computer problems

I have a new laptop, and am trying once again to get the computer to
computer network going. This has been a vary painfull process in the
past two times in the past. I accidently turned off airport and can
not get it set up once again. Somehow when you turn airport off it
resets all the parameters.

When I go to create a network I get the error "There was an error
creating your computer to computer network". Thats it, no error
number, nothing. Did Bill Gates design this?

Roger
0
jollyrgr (1)
4/30/2004 3:44:52 PM
comp.sys.mac.comm 3057 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

<< When I go to create a network I get the error "There was an error
creating your computer to computer network" >>

Roger-

You didn't mention an Airport Base Station, so I assume you are trying to
connect directly between two computers, each having an Airport card.

In the new laptop, be sure that TCP/IP is set to use the Airport card rather
than Ethernet or Printer ports, and that Airport is turned on in the Airport
Control Panel.  If you are using AppleShare or AppleTalk printing, be sure
AppleTalk is set to use the Airport card as well.

Fred

0
fmmck (557)

Computer to Computer AirPort networks not accessible
I'm a Mac newbie, but I have lots of experience with Linux and Windows. I have got my AirPort-enabled iBook G4 working fine with my office network which uses a hardware base station. However, I can't get it to talk to my home network which has an ad-hoc (IBSS) network running on a Linux gateway machine. When I click on the AirPort icon, "Computer to Computer Networks" is greyed out. It used to work fine with my Linux laptop. I am using the same WEP key on the home network as on the office network. I don't have any weird settings except for using channel 8 (on both networks). Any ideas? Please cc your followups by email if that's convenient. TIA. ...

Computer to Computer chat
Hello, I have just started understanding WinSock and I'm wondering how to make a program talk to another computer through the internet? I have the other's IP address, though both computers are on networks (I couldn't seem to get any example codes to work with my computer, I think it was because of the router...) I know the port that I will be talking through and listening on. I just want this program to send simple messages that will be understood on the other side. i.e let p! = program 1 let P2 = program 2 P1 -> P2: msg = TALK P2 -> P1: msg = CONFIRM P1 -> P2...

Computer to Computer chat
Hello, I have just started understanding WinSock and I'm wondering how to make a program talk to another computer through the internet? I have the other's IP address, though both computers are on networks (I couldn't seem to get any example codes to work with my computer, I think it was because of the router...) I know the port that I will be talking through and listening on. I just want this program to send simple messages that will be understood on the other side. i.e let p! = program 1 let P2 = program 2 P1 -> P2: msg = TALK P2 -> P1: msg = CONFIRM P1 -> P2...

Help with File Sharing via Airport Computer-to-Computer Network
Via Airport cards (and v3.1 of the Airport software) in my G4 and iBook (both OS X 10.2.6) I can create and have both connected to a computer-to-computer network. I have personal file sharing on on both computers, but can't seem to connect from one to the other. When I try to connect, they only see their own shared file server, which isn't much help. When I try to type in the address ala afp://g4.local/ ('g4' is the computer name) I get an "5000 Error". Via Rendezvous, although the network seems to be active I'm unable to get an iChat session going between the two...

Can't share files over computer-to-computer Airport connection?
I'm trying to set up file sharing between two Macs via Airport. I have no base station, but on the iMac I created an Airport network, and connected my Powerbook to the network (at least, the Airport icon on both show as connected, and both show the same network name and checkmark in the Airport menu). I have Use Appletalk set on the Airport configuration of both, and TCP/IP is enabled on Airport on both computers. Unfortunately, when I try to browse the network, the iMac does not show up in the Powerbook's Network. I'm at a loss as to why a published Mac can't be seen over a valid network connection via Airport. What steps am I missing, what other configuration items have to be set up for computer-to-computer file sharing to work over Airport? Thanks in advance (Why isn't this in a FAQ somewhere?) In article <adiseker-1A6030.16413008042005@news-50.dca.giganews.com>, Andrew Diseker <adiseker@lexonia.net> wrote: > I'm trying to set up file sharing between two Macs via Airport. I > have no base station, but on the iMac I created an Airport network, > and connected my Powerbook to the network (at least, the Airport > icon on both show as connected, and both show the same network > name and checkmark in the Airport menu). I have Use Appletalk > set on the Airport configuration of both, and TCP/IP is enabled > on Airport on both computers. > > ...

mac g3 monitor with g4 computer problems
My G3 monitor clicks and goes blank for a second, then comes back in ok. Any ideas why? It is an intermittant problem. However, this is the second G3 monitor that has done this. The first one, doesn't work at all now, seems like it has a short when you plug it in. I got anther used G3 monitor and after being used for 15 minutes, started having the same problems. any ideas? ...

"Another problem with MAC-based computers.."
http://www.possoftwareguide.com/articles/mac-pos-software.html "How to Choose MAC POS Software" If you decide to stick with a MAC Operating System, your choices for POS Software will be very limited, which means that you'll most likely miss out on the time and money saving features that POS software packages for other operating systems may offer. Another problem with MAC-based computers in the retail environment is that you'll be limiting your choices with other retail technology that might be useful like accounting and payroll software. Often, accounting s...

need to compute this problem having problems with how to start this problem help need urgently
Let   U[0; 2theta] be a uniform random variable from the interval [0; 2theta] and let A  Exp(1) be exponentially distributed with mean 1. Assume  and A independent. Compute the mean mX(t) =E[X(t)] and autocorrelation RX(s; t) = E[X(s)X(t)] of the phase-shifted sinusoid.X(t) = A*  cos(t +theta ): State also if X(t) is Wide Sense Stationary (WSS). plot 10 realisations of X(t) plotR(s-t,0)as a function of s-t "pramod kumar" <pramod.kilu@gmail.com> wrote in message <jpapso$44b$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>... > Let   U[0; 2theta] be a uniform random variable from the interval [0; 2theta] and let A  Exp(1) be exponentially distributed with mean 1. Assume  and A independent. Compute the mean mX(t) =E[X(t)] and autocorrelation RX(s; t) = E[X(s)X(t)] of the phase-shifted sinusoid.X(t) = A*  cos(t +theta ): > State also if X(t) is Wide Sense Stationary (WSS). > plot 10 realisations of X(t) > plotR(s-t,0)as a function of s-t So what have you tried? If you have not tried anything, this is a suggestion that you were not paying attention in class. Make an effort. John "pramod kumar" <pramod.kilu@gmail.com> wrote in message <jpapso$44b$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>... > Let   U[0; 2theta] be a uniform random variable from the interval [0; 2theta] and let A  Exp(1) be exponentially distributed with mean 1. Assume  and A independent. Compute the mean mX(t) =E[X(t)] and autocorrelation RX(s; t) = E[X(s)X(t)]...

Computer Problem
I know this isn't a programing questions....but it is hindering me from programming. I just bought a new monitor last night. Plugged it in and every thing worked for a while. I was able to play games and watch Video for about a 1/2 then the screen went blank and said it was going into power saver mode(just the screen). I rebooted it and went into windows but the log on screen was all a messed up image and then the monitor went into power saver mode again. I updated the Drivers for both the video card and monitor there aren't any bios updates that I saw for the card. when booting int...

Computational Mathematics and Computer Science
Hi. I'm trying to decide between colleges and one of the schools on my list doesn't offer a major in computer science (although a minor is offered) but offers a major in 'Computational Mathematics'. Is COMPUTational Mathematics related anyhow with the more theoretical COMPUTer Science ? Is there any connection between these fields of study (besides the first six letters) ? Also, if I only have a minor in Computer Science is it still possible for me to apply to graduate school (Phd) for Computer Science ? How do admission officers at Universities see such people who major in on...

Problem with my computer
Svchost.exe generate an error this is my problem, after this message i can't copy or paste even open hotmail.Help me please ...

Computer Service, Custom Computers
I am a system builder, certified computer technician that can build a computer to your specifications, Office computers, gaming computers even network servers! I offer door-to-door service for computer servicing, upgrades and repairs. Network installation whether it be wired or wireless. No job is too little or too big. Please visit my website at http://www.cpu-guy.com or call (845) 246-3348. I am located in the Saugerties, New York area and provide computer help throughout the hudson valley and beyond. Computer components are also available at great prices. My service rates ar...

Use another Computer for computation
Hi, I've two computer: -an old portable (A); -a new gen desktop (B); Is there a way to write the code in the computer A and the do the computation with computer B trought internet or wi-fi? (Think computer B as a server and A as a client). Thanks. ...

Problem with computer
Most of the time when trying to open any folder on the desktop my system locks up. If I can open the desktop folder then all folders under a desktop folder seem to work O.K. The desktop folders especially dont like the double click opening rather then the right click and then click open. Also, many times when a folder does open it does so only after it warns me that a DLL is missing and I click O.K. Help please!!!!! So . . . what operating system are you using? Randy Story wrote: > > Most of the time when trying to open any folder on the desktop my system > locks up. If I can open the desktop folder then all folders under a desktop > folder seem to work O.K. > The desktop folders especially dont like the double click opening rather > then the right click and then click open. > > Also, many times when a folder does open it does so only after it warns > me that a DLL is missing and I click O.K. > > Help please!!!!! Windows 2000 professional. "Sporkman" <sporkedUNDERLINEagainMUNGE@bigfootDOT.com> wrote in message news:41A53692.9BA9B852@bigfootDOT.com... > So . . . what operating system are you using? > > Randy Story wrote: > > > > Most of the time when trying to open any folder on the desktop my system > > locks up. If I can open the desktop folder then all folders under a desktop > > folder seem to work O.K. > > The desktop folders especially dont like the do...

parallel computing, distributed computing
HI, I have an optimization code which has some part code is common and required as inputs for the two optimization routines within. However once this is done, the remaining could be run parallely independednt of each other and imrovized on the speed and finally the two results could be fetched in one single main optimization file and compared. Though i feel this could be done, i do not knopw the exact procedure as well do not know if there is some setting to be done in matlab and modify my main code as well. Please note i have matlab 2007b and distributed computing toolbox v3.2. I...

british airports "freezed" due to "computer problem"
Hello I heared this morning at the radio that all british airports were closed because of a computer problem. If somebody has more information than "a technical problem has occured", I will be happy to read it :-) Is it an operating system problem, a problem with an important program used, something else ? Regards Gerard In article <c9n130$u82$1@news-reader4.wanadoo.fr>, labadie <labadie_g@decus.fr> writes: >Hello > >I heared this morning at the radio that all british airports were closed >because of a computer problem. > >If somebody has more ...

can notebook computers go through airport xray machines w.o. problem?
I just purchased a Compaq Presario that I desire to pack in my checked in baggage. Many airports put checked in baggage through heavy duty xray machines. Would the computer hard drive or any other computer part lose data when this happens? best, Aaron Aaron Epstein wrote: > I just purchased a Compaq Presario that I desire to pack in my checked in baggage. > Many airports put checked in baggage through heavy duty xray machines. Would > the computer hard drive or any other computer part lose data when this happens? > > best, Aaron Well, I don't know about t...

Comments about Mac -- Rookie to Mac but Oldie to Computers
Hi all, When OSX was released a couple of years ago, I noticed all the Switch commercials on TV and on Apple's website. At that point I'd not touched a Mac since using the Mac Classics back in high school (early '90s), but being a Linux guy I thought it'd be interesting to check OSX out. The one major fault I saw in Pre OSX Mac's was a lack of a good command line, but that's no longer any issues with FreeBSD under Darwin. So last year when a friend of mine wanted to upgrade to a more powerful Mac, I took the opportunity to purchase his PowerMac G4 (dual 867/768 Mb/Ram). It had OSX Jaguar and few add-on apps. I toyed with it for a few weeks and basically threw it in a corner rarely using it. At that point I had ran Linux exclusively at home for about 3 years, and I was in love (for lack of a better work) with the Penguin :) About 6 weeks ago I left for a week vacation to return with a clanking HD on my Linux box. Data was okay since I have two HD's mirrored for data, but the main boot drive (/dev/hda) was hosed. Instead of running to the trusty computer shop I normally use, I slid this box over and connected my Mac. The friend I bought it from still had some crap on the box, so using the restore disks I reinstalled Jaguar - and the love began. Jaguar installed perfectly, and within about an hour (after updates) I was up and running. Afterwards I downloaded Desktop Manager, Fire, and some other nifty utils from Versiontracker along with ...

Call for Papers: The 2009 World Congress in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, and Applied Computing (WORLDCOMP'09)
CALL FOR PAPERS and Call For Workshop/Session Proposals WORLDCOMP'09 The 2009 World Congress in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, and Applied Computing July 13-16, 2009, Las Vegas, USA (composed of 22 Joint Conferences) You are invited to submit a paper (and/or a proposal to organize a session/workshop). All accepted papers will be published in the respective conference proceedings. The 2009 World Congress in Computer Science, Computer E...

Computer Vitals
http://computervitals.com Hey guyz, I welcome you to Computer Vitals, Your Online Computer Helpline. A new venture to help people with all sides of software and hardware. Pay a visit and experience yourself. Lets get together and help eachother. Post your questions and get answers from some really experienced people. http://computervitals.com Help sections include Computer Maintainance & Upkeep Security and Virus related information for Beginners and advanced users Operating Systems help (Winodws/Linux) Information about updates and upgrades Help with networking hardware and software Latest technological tips Pern,CGI and PHP help HTML help Vbullitin forum help Digital Photography, Video and Audio editing help Photoshop, GIMp and other graphis programming Games A place to sell and buy within friends. Give a try and Join today. It takes just a min to register http://computervitals.com ...

Laptop Computer Furniture..(laptop computers)
laptop computers Laptops are small portable computers. They can be carried along, just like a small briefcase. They are convenient as they can be carried during travel. The furniture for this also has to be as per the dimensions of the laptop. With laptops being lighter and portable, the associated computer furniture is also becoming attractive and economical. A customer can choose from a variety of mobile laptop computer stands and desks. Some styles are foldable and perfect for travel. These laptop stands are good for small spaces. There are laptop computer desks to hold laptops, which can be rolled up to the conference room or to the bedside. Seat mounted desks are the perfect mobile organizer, for a laptop. They can be attached onto car seats. This enables the person to work even while being driven. Lap desks are very convenient and create a convenient work- table, wherever he sits. It costs around $99.00. Laptop caddy is a modification to the desks. This adjusts and tilts, so that the user can work anywhere in comfort. It is priced at $149.00. There are specially designed file compartments, which provide easy access to files and documents. This furniture is without a drill base mount, which is fully adjustable and removable in seconds. Adjustable laptop visor is another such accessory. It is adjustable to fit any laptop computer screen. It prevents glare and provides privacy. It is responsible for increasing productivity by reducing eyestrain and also protects the la...

Computers Enabled
COMPUTERS ENABLED "Affordable Notebook Computers & Accessories" Visit our online store for Top Brands at Lower Prices! http://www.urlaptop.com <urlaptop@gmail.com> wrote in message news:c80bff5e-36d8-421f-bee3-79fe8d7037cb@75g2000hso.googlegroups.com... > COMPUTERS ENABLED > "Affordable Notebook Computers & Accessories" > Visit our online store for Top Brands at Lower Prices! > > Please take your SPAM elsewhere. M.I.5� (no.one@no.where.NO_SPAM.co.uk) wrote: > <urlaptop@gmail.com> wrote: > > "Affordable Notebook Computers & Accessories" > > Visit our online store for Top Brands at Lower Prices! > Please take your SPAM elsewhere. *** It's no use posting that. Spammers rarely read the hundreds of newsgroups to which they post their ads. )-: Richard Bonner http://www.chebucto.ca/~ak621/DOS/ ...

Second computation longer than first (same) computation
Hi, Background : I want to compute cross correlation of an array. My first idea : loops over row then line, each time I have to circshift, and average, etc. It takes ages because of nested loops : for an image of 200x200pix, it takes ~10 seconds. So I want to remove the nested loops. I first create all the circshifts at once. All right, that's the background. Now I have a weird problem about manipulating (very) large arrays. Here is the code. tic L=20 N=120 M=-L:L; A=repmat(rude((N)*ones(1,2*L+1),M'),(2*L+1)*N,1); B=repmat(rude((N)*ones(2*L+1,1),M')',1,(2*L+1)*N); idx_lines=repmat((1:N)',(2*L+1),N*(2*L+1)); idx_rows=repmat((1:N),N*(2*L+1),(2*L+1)); new_A=rem(idx_lines-A-1+N,N)+1; new_B=rem(idx_rows-B-1,N)+1; toc; (rude is from here : http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/6436-rude-a-pedestrian-run-length-decoder-encoder) It works pretty well. The problem is that for large arrays (it creates 5000x5000 arrays if L=20 and N=120) it takes up to ~100sec. If I repeat the same code, it takes ~10sec. If I repeat again, it takes ~1sec. Then the computation time remains the same, ~1sec. How to explain that ? The first time, all the steps take ~10sec. It's not one step that is stopping the computation. Is it an allocation memory issue ? I tried to pre-allocate the variables, it doesn't change anything. How can I solve this weird issue ? Thanks for your help ! "maxime" wrote in message &...

[...]

Web resources about - Airport computer to computer problems - comp.sys.mac.comm

Computer Show

Computer's Go victory is a warning about the AI in our lives
Landmark event in artificial intelligence wasn't due to an increase in computing power, but a new way for computers to make decisions based on ...

BBC Micro:bit computer lands in student hands today
Today, the BBC has begun shipping out its tiny Micro:bit programmable computers to Year 7 students in UK schools, and the devices will be arriving ...

Remarkable nanowires could let computers of the future grow their own chips
If you’re worried that artificial intelligence will take over the world now that computers are powerful enough to outsmart humans at incredibly ...

Students finally get their hands on the BBC's Micro:bit computer
The BBC has begun delivering its tiny Micro:bit programmable computers to students today, with every Year 7 in the UK due to receive theirs over ...

Don’t Forget Humans Created The Computer Program That Can Beat Humans At Go
Humankind is licking its wounds after its latest defeat at the “hands” of artificial intelligence. Over the past week, AlphaGo, a computer program ...

The First Tweet, Movie Screening, Sound Recording, And Computer Chip: This Week In Tech History
The First Tweet, Movie Screening, Sound Recording, And Computer Chip: This Week In Tech History

Tencent's security team wins global computer hacking contest
gbtimes Tencent's security team wins global computer hacking contest gbtimes Chinese internet giant Tencent's security team has won the 2016 ...