Apple Remote Desktop

Will Apple Remote Desktop work over a WAN? It works perfectly over a
local network but I can't seem to get it to work over a WAN. Before I
waste any more time I would like to know if it is possible.

David

comp.sys.mac.comm 3057 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

davidsteward4@yahoo.com <davidsteward4@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Will Apple Remote Desktop work over a WAN? It works perfectly over a
> local network but I can't seem to get it to work over a WAN. Before I
> waste any more time I would like to know if it is possible.
>
> David

I've heard (!) that it will work but you must give it the IP address of
the remote. No Rendezvous on a WAN. Whether or not you would have to
open specific ports on any firewall between you and the remote, I
wouldn't know. Good luck.
--
/Z
I can now answer my own query. Yes, it works well. The admin needs to

The following ports needed to be mapped on the firewalls for both
routers, 22 and 5900, both TCP and 3283 UDP. It was the last one that
we had previously not set.

All functions worked well but iTunes started up by the admin played on
the client but gave no sound on the admin machine.

David

> Will Apple Remote Desktop work over a WAN

Yes it works over a WAN, I use it all the time to control remote
Macs.  Follow the directions above to forward ports to the computer
running ARD and it works fine.  Failure to forward these ports, and
the remote mac will show up as a "VNC" computer and many of the
features will be disabled.

Also, if your mac running ARD2 is behind a firewall running Airport,
make sure that you have the latest Airport Firmware installed.

mike5484 (3)
3/16/2005 5:49:09 PM
In article <u1110995284@aknode.invalid>, EVDOguy
<mike@evdoinfo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote:

> > Will Apple Remote Desktop work over a WAN
>
> Yes it works over a WAN, I use it all the time to control remote
> Macs.  Follow the directions above to forward ports to the computer
> running ARD and it works fine.  Failure to forward these ports, and
> the remote mac will show up as a "VNC" computer and many of the
> features will be disabled.
>
> Also, if your mac running ARD2 is behind a firewall running Airport,
> make sure that you have the latest Airport Firmware installed.

PMFJI, but you sound knowledgable about ARD, and I am curious if it has
_any_  advantages over the newest release of Timbuktu.

I like remote-control app's in general, think their possibilities are
awesome and under-used by most Mac users.

I have TB2's  newest versions 8.0.1 for Mac, 8.0.0.1113 for PC.

Have never tried any other remote app's  (yet)

Thanks for any info'

Mark-
0
NoSpamDammit (843)
3/18/2005 8:09:57 AM
In article <180320050009332319%NoSpamDammit@invalid.com>,
 Mark Conrad <NoSpamDammit@invalid.com> wrote:

> In article <u1110995284@aknode.invalid>, EVDOguy
> <mike@evdoinfo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote:
>
> > > Will Apple Remote Desktop work over a WAN
> >
> > Yes it works over a WAN, I use it all the time to control remote
> > Macs.  Follow the directions above to forward ports to the computer
> > running ARD and it works fine.  Failure to forward these ports, and
> > the remote mac will show up as a "VNC" computer and many of the
> > features will be disabled.
> >
> > Also, if your mac running ARD2 is behind a firewall running Airport,
> > make sure that you have the latest Airport Firmware installed.
>
> PMFJI, but you sound knowledgable about ARD, and I am curious if it has
> _any_  advantages over the newest release of Timbuktu.
>
> I like remote-control app's in general, think their possibilities are
> awesome and under-used by most Mac users.
>
> I have TB2's  newest versions 8.0.1 for Mac, 8.0.0.1113 for PC.

I haven't used an OS X version of TB2 yet (although I've used an older
version under Classic).  I have used ARD 2.1 and the best I can say is
it's not ready for prime time.  It has loads of problems with waking
sleeping computers.  It still gives some bogus error message if you try
to work on more than 127 computers simultaneously.  It also still will
tend to hose itself when something goes wrong and you have to restart
the computer to get it working again.  There are lots of minor glitches
that make for aggravation while using it. The UI has improved form 1.x
but there are still a number of aspects that get in the way of using it.
And apparently they have figured out how to do a time out yet.  A number
of functions will sit overnight waiting for something to complete when
it's clear they never will.  But it doesn't time out.  Which means if
you have something else in the queue it won't run until you come along
and cancel the stopped task.

--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA               Macintosh / Internet Consulting

cmnews (324)

Mac - to
I've got the Msdros remote desktop that works OK. What I'd like to do, though, is to have a remote desktop from my iBook to my G5 computer, both on the most recent OS/X, tiger. release. What program do I have to use to log in to my G5 from my iBook so that I can, through wi-fi, control iTunes, play DVDs, and run terminal on the G5 on the iBook? [[ This message was both posted and mailed: see the "To," "Cc," and "Newsgroups" headers for details. ]] In article <1180031966.406197.148070@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>, Peter Brooks <Peter.H.M.Brooks@gmail.com> wrote: > I've got the Msdros remote desktop that works OK. > > What I'd like to do, though, is to have a remote desktop from my iBook > to my G5 computer, both on the most recent OS/X, tiger. release. > > What program do I have to use to log in to my G5 from my iBook so that > I can, through wi-fi, control iTunes, play DVDs, and run terminal on > the G5 on the iBook? > I use Remote Desktop v3.1 to do that with my iBook and G3. http://www.apple.com/remotedesktop/ Cheers, Darrell -- To reply, substitute .net for .invalid in address, i.e., darrell.usenet6 (at) �telus.net In article <1180031966.406197.148070@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>, Peter Brooks <Peter.H.M.Brooks@gmail.com> wrote: > I've got the Msdros remote desktop that works OK. > > What I'd like to do, though, is to have a remote desktop...

Apple Introduces Apple Remote Desktop 3
Third Generation of Desktop Management Software Now Optimized for Intel-based Macs http://technology-post.com/tech/index.php/2006/04/13/apple-introduces-apple-remote-desktop-3/ ...

Deleted Apple Discussions Posting: Multiuser OS and Apple Remote desktop
I recently learned that a posting I'd just made to Apple's Discussions forum is gone. It wasn't a rude posting, indeed it wasn't even a critical posting. It was an advocacy posting, asking when Apple would make the big move towards a multiuser GUI and thin client wireless deployment. Now it's possible some technical glitch took my message. However, I naturally prefer the more intriguing possibility. I prefer to to think my posting was deleted. Since it was (honestly) a quite polite posting (my iPhoto postings are far more critical and they persist), I wonder if it touched ...

apple remote desktop
HI, I'm trying to get Apple Remote Desktop, if anyone has it and would like to share it, please upload it and let me know. Thanks Henry Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services ---------------------------------------------------------- ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY ** ---------------------------------------------------------- http://www.usenet.com I have a remote on my desktop, but its made by RCA. And even if I could upload phisical objects, I certaily wouldn't tell YOU! You could always try the Apple store - or at least a newsgroup that pertains to a Mac. Moron! zhenry wrote: > HI, I'm trying to get Apple Remote Desktop, if anyone has it and would > like to share it, please upload it and let me know. Wrong Group. Try a comp.sys.mac... group. This one is for Apple II, Apple Computer's pre-Macintosh product line -- Linards Ticmanis In article <1143919710_2446@news-east.n>, zhenry <henry@metropcrepairs.com> wrote: > HI, I'm trying to get Apple Remote Desktop, if anyone has it and would > like to share it, please upload it and let me know. > > Thanks > > Henry > > > Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services > ---------------------------------------------------------- > ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY ** > ---------------------------------------------------------- > ...

WebXKiosk and Apple Remote Desktop
I have installed WebXKiosk developed by NC State University and have replaced the Finder with a single users as outlined on the support site (http://www.ncsu.edu/mac/software/webXkiosk.html) to limit system access on this public computer kiosk. However, I use Apple Remote Desktop to manage this kiosk, which is located 3000 miles away from my base. Trouble is, because I have also restricted that single user account to be a limited functionality account, ARD doesn't seem to able to access the machine. ARD recognizes the kiosk as a viable machine, I can run reports but I cannot login to manage the machine or complete maintenance tasks through the UI. Any suggestions? Thanks, Shawn ...

Apple Remote Desktop #2
I am using Apple Remote desktop to control a remote Mac. The remote Mac is connected through a router, the ports are mapped as suggested and it works well. A second Mac is also connected to the router. How can I access the second Mac? All three are using Tiger and ARD 2.2. David ...

Microsoft remote desktop for the Mac
I'm looking at leaving Linux and getting myself a Mac Mini. I do have a PC running Windows XP that I have to use regularly and was wondering what peoples impressions of Remote Desktop for the Mac are? Also, is their any solution beside VNC for remotely displaying the Mac Desktop on Windows? Jason Bowen <ha@nospam.net> writes: > I'm looking at leaving Linux and getting myself a Mac Mini. I do > have a PC running Windows XP that I have to use regularly and was > wondering what peoples impressions of Remote Desktop for the Mac I don't use MS's Remote Des...

Apple Remote Desktop through firewall
I have no problem setting up the client side firewall to allow Apple Remote Desktop through. I can connect to it just fine from one location. But when I try to access the same Apple Remote Desktop client from another location (but using the same machine), where I am behind a NAT firewall myself, I can't. Unfortunately none of the clients are up at the moment, so I can't post the exact error message. But it boils down to the remote machine simply not being found at all. None of the documentation I found at Apple's site appears to mention this. Any ideas? Does the client really need to be able to poke through the controlling Mac's firewall? If so, on which port? TIA -- Sander Tekelenburg, <http://www.euronet.nl/~tekelenb/> Mac user: "Macs only have 40 viruses, tops!" PC user: "SEE! Not even the virus writers support Macs!" In article <user-1E6668.20355919042005@textnews.euro.net>, Sander Tekelenburg <user@domain.invalid> wrote: If so, on which port? I may not be answering your question but checking the System Preferences Sharing panel on my iBook G4 I note that the Firewall lists "Apple Remote Desktop (5900, 3283)" Cheers, Darrell In article <190420051203498454%darrell.usenet4@telus.invalid>, Darrell Greenwood <darrell.usenet4@telus.invalid> wrote: > In article <user-1E6668.20355919042005@textnews.euro.net>, Sander > Tekelenburg <user@domain.invalid> wrote: > ...

Apple Remote Desktop file locations
Hi, Can anyone tell me the locataions of the different files installed for Apple Remote Desktop Admin & client. I know ARD agent is installed in Core Services, but am not sure of any others. eddav ...

Apple Remote Desktop is good as well!
Since I liked MS' implementation of RDC, I decided to try out ARD as well. So, after installing it and setting up my computers (not hard, but is one step not needed for Windows) I started playing around with it, and the strengthes and weaknesses of both packages are slited below: ARD pros: Meant to be used in a educational setup, where an adminsitrator can help students with their computers by pointing and clicking for them, sending memos to them, installing software on their computers and pretty much everything you can think of - and do it in a batch. You select four computers, then "copy files", and ARD does the rest. It will even install .pkg software on the clients. You can even share your screen with a client, if there is something you want to show him or her. If the clients screen is larger than yours, you have it scaled, which works very good. ARD cons: It's very slow, kind of like using VPC. You can't, as far as I could figure out, display secondary screens, only the main screen of the client computer. You can't drag files from the admin computer to the screen of the client computer and copy them by drag'n'drop - I kind of expected you could. RDC pros: It's blazingly fast. RDC is faster over internet than ARD is over ethernet. RDC cons: Flaky options to make the local hard drives available to the remote machine - doesn't always work. You can't drag files from the local machine to the window o...

Apple Remote Desktop vs. Timbuktu
For remotely accessing my Desktop Mac from a MacBook, which is recommended? Timbuktu or ARD? Also, might want to do Windows Remote Desktop to access a Win XP machine. I realize Microsoft puts out a free WRD client, but while it works, it doesn't appear all that great on my Mac desktop. Should I just go with Timbuktu? Thanks, Andrew -- eMailman, LLC - Andrew Starr, President eMailman(r): <http://www.emailman.com> NewsReaders(sm): <http://www.newsreaders.com> New discussion forums (via web or newsreader) at both of the above sites. On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 07:04:40 -0500, Andrew Starr wrote (in article <atsnntp1205-D0A938.06043918022007@news.newsguy.com>): > For remotely accessing my Desktop Mac from a MacBook, which is > recommended? Timbuktu or ARD? > > Also, might want to do Windows Remote Desktop to access a Win XP > machine. I realize Microsoft puts out a free WRD client, but while it > works, it doesn't appear all that great on my Mac desktop. > > Should I just go with Timbuktu? > > Thanks, > > Andrew > I haven't tried WRD Client. I assume it is a stand alone and doesn't work with either TBT or ARD. I have both TBT and ARD and find myself using ARD more because of the smooth way it handles multiple computers and all the admin stuff that goes with it. On the other hand, I have used TBT to control a windows system and it works just like controlling a Mac system. So I would gu...

Apple Remote Desktop File Locations
Hi, Can anyone tell me the locataions of the different files installed for Apple Remote Desktop Admin & client. I know ARD agent is installed in Core Services, but am not sure of any others. eddav ...

MAC Remote desktop (easy probably)
Is it possible to remote desktop (with something like VNC) to a MAC from a PC? This would be very useful. Kind regards Dave In article <V7e8f.41582$Bj2.9779@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, "Dave Smithz" <dave1900@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote: > Is it possible to remote desktop (with something like VNC) to a MAC from a > PC? > > This would be very useful. Yes, it would. On Apple's website, look for "Apple Remote Desktop". When you stop swearing at the price, please let us know if you find anything in a sane price range. BTW, "Mac&quo...

alternative to Apple Remote Desktop 2
I was just wondering if there was a free (or cheaper)(GUI) remote solution that will allow me to connect to a Mac client from Windows XP machine and I'm running both Server and Pro?? After Three weeks (and a Few Hundred Dollars) of trying to get a Belkin Omniview KVM to work properly I've decided to through in the towel and go the Remote Connection Rout. If their isn't will Apples Remote Desktop run on an XP SP2 machine are their any limitations as to what you can and can't do I'm specifically thinking of MSFT Remote Desktop where you can do mos everything except b...

MS Remote Desktop for Mac Ports needed
have a Mac OS 10.4 where I want to setup a remote desktop server(1 user -at home logging in) What ports need to be open on Firewall for the Mac in the office acting as the server? Regards cr NewsGroup: > have a Mac OS 10.4 where I want to setup a remote desktop server(1 > user -at home logging in) What ports need to be open on Firewall for the > Mac in the > office acting as the server? Open the 'Sharing' System Preferences pane, go to 'Firewall' and hover the cursor over 'Apple Remote Desktop', wait a second and it will tell you which ports a...

Microsoft Remote Desktop
Hi All, I have searched and searched, but cannot find the answer to this one. I am a PC user, whom has just made the transition to Mac. I have a new G5 Imac running the latest OsX. I have downloaded MS remote desktop and it works perfectly on the internal network, however, when I try to connect to external (i.e on the web outside our network), it will not connect. Yes, I am going through a firewall (linux). However, on a windows pc on the same network, it works perfectly (through the firewall). I can sort of get around this, by RD to our internal server and then RD from that session to outside (pretty stupid really). I need to use RD as I support about 15 clients this way (used to from PC) and great distances are involved, so I just can't change to VNC or whatever. So... I am hoping one of you smart Mac guys/gals out there can help. I have a few ideas - like it might be because I need to be a member of my local work group (how does one change this in a mac?). Also, I have opened the port 3283 as it told me that apple rd uses this, but it made no difference. Anyone please help? thanks [[ This message was both posted and mailed: see the 'To' and 'Newsgroups' headers for details. ]] On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 03:31:43 -0500, Steve Rolfe wrote (in article <1104222703.013260.166140@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>): > Hi All, > I have searched and searched, but cannot find the answer to this one. > I am a PC user, whom has just made the tra...

Remote Access to Mac OS X desktop from PC
Is there a solution available to connect remotely to OS X from a PC, similar to GoToMyPC? Any help would be appreciated. On 2007-08-22 16:57:36 -0500, gregberry@pointsolve.com said: > Is there a solution available to connect remotely to OS X from a PC, > similar to GoToMyPC? Any help would be appreciated. VNC server works great in Mac OS X: <http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11283/vine-server> Here's the VNC client for Windows: <http://realvnc.com/download.html> And there are plenty of clients for Mac OS X as well: <http://www.macupdate.com/search.php?...

Apple Remote Desktop to home computer on Airport Extreme network
I apologize if I have just missed this. I have googled. I have tried to deal with Apple�s forums. I have tried stuff on my own. I have an iMac (OS X 10.4..11) at home I want to get to. Airport Extreme (n) IP (external) is xx.xxx.x.xx and given out by DHCP from a cable modem iMac�s IP (static from AE) is 10.0.1.201 iMac connects to Airport Extreme via Cat5 cable. I have forwarded ports 3283, 5900, 5988 (BTW all other forwarded ports for torrents work correctly) I have turned off the Firewall in Sharing Preference Pane. About the only other thing I can see to mess with is the Internet Sharing settings on the Internet tab in Sharing Preference Pane. But, I suspect my ISP (TimeWarner) wouldn�t like that. I have Apple Remote Desktop v3.2.2 and I can see that there is a menu command to Add computer by address. Indeed in my old AppleShare days I connected as Admin via browser with IP address: admin port number. But in this case I don�t know, nor can find out, how to configure it. IOW, I got an external IP, and internal IP, and some port numbers but I don�t have a clue what to now do. Any help? -- Tim lance_1012@hotmail.com In article <uaudnVU24_77gmLUnZ2dnUVZ_hidnZ2d@giganews.com>, Tim Lance <see.sig@bottom.com> wrote: > I apologize if I have just missed this. I have googled. I have tried to deal > with Apple1s forums. I have tried stuff on my own. > > I have an iMac (OS X 10.4..11) at home I want to get to. > > Airport Extreme ...

Mac OS X <-> XP remote desktop
I know that it's possible to run a Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection client on Mac OS X to make a connection with a Windows XP. But what are the possibilities the other way around ? Does there also exist an Apple Remote Desktop client that runs under XP, so that you can control a Power Mac remotely ? thx, Werner Van Geit Werner Van Geit <werner.vangeit@vt4.net> wrote: > I know that it's possible to run a Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection > client on Mac OS X to make a connection with a Windows XP. > > But what are the possibilities the other way around ? Does there also > exist an Apple Remote Desktop client that runs under XP, so that you > can control a Power Mac remotely ? You can use a vnc client and server. There are numerous vnc clients and servers for most platforms - find them at versiontracker.com or macupdate.com. -- Morten Dreier http://morten.dreier.no/ In article <1g556x3.1t2dymf1mpb8w0N%news-morten@dreier.no>, news-morten@dreier.no (Morten Dreier) wrote: > > But what are the possibilities the other way around ? Does there also > > exist an Apple Remote Desktop client that runs under XP, so that you > > can control a Power Mac remotely ? > > You can use a vnc client and server. We have used Timbuktu with good success in mixed environment. -- Matti Haveri <mattiDOThaveriATsjokiDOTutaeiroskaaDOTfi> remove ei roskaa Thank you for your advice, I'll try these solutions. ...

What's the best Linux equivalent for Apple Remote Desktop?
What's the best app for Linux out there that mimics the functionality of Apple Remote Desktop 3 for OS X? Network transparency is inherent in the design of The X Window System. Tell us what you want to do. We don't know anything about "Apple Remote Desktop". -- John Hasler jhasler@newsguy.com Dancing Horse Hill Elmwood, WI USA piscesboy <oraclmaster@gmail.com> writes: > What's the best app for Linux out there that mimics the functionality > of Apple Remote Desktop 3 for OS X? Depends what you're trying to achieve. For remote admin, SSH...

Baton Mail Version 0.9.1b for use with Apple Mac OS 7.1 on an Apple Mac SE/30 or SE
Does anyone have a copy of Baton Mail Version 0.9.1b for use with Apple Mac OS 7.1 on an Apple Mac SE/30 or SE ? I obtained a copy from http://www.mythtech.net, but this version is Baton Mail v0.9.7.8b - which is for Apple Mac OS 7.6.1. I have downloaded the previous version, Same Result - Timebomb !! ...

Access Apple Mac OS X 10.5.8's Time Machine backups from non-Apple Mac machines?
Hello. Is it possible to access an external USB HDD's data, that is used for Apple Mac OS X 10.5.8's Time Machine backups, on non-Apple Mac machines (Windows and Linux)? Or can it be only be accessed with a Mac? I use multiple computers and OSes. Thank you in advance. :) -- "In a battle between elephants, the ants get squashed." --Thailand /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site) / /\ /\ \ Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net | |o o| | \ _ / If crediting, then use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link. ( ) If e-mailing, then axe ANT from its address if needed. Ant is currently not listening to any songs on this computer. Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote: > Hello. > > Is it possible to access an external USB HDD's data, that is used for > Apple Mac OS X 10.5.8's Time Machine backups, on non-Apple Mac machines > (Windows and Linux)? Or can it be only be accessed with a Mac? I use > multiple computers and OSes. > > Thank you in advance. :) Yes, you'll need software that adds HFS+ read (at least) capability to your other OSes, e.g. <http://www.paragon-software.com/home/hfs-windows/> and <http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive/> for Windows. Things can get a little more involved in Linux depending on the distro, e.g. <http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Hfsplus>. IIRC Time Capsules backup insid...

Psystar Macs Better Than Apple Macs?
Some of these people seem to think so. They have the right idea, a Mac that you can internally expand with hard drives and expansion cards to add functionality like USB 3.0 when it comes out. http://store.psystar.com/review/product/list/id/106/category/39/ John In article <h88s9j$8gm$1@news.eternal-september.org>, John Slade <hhitman86@pacbell.net> wrote: > Some of these people seem to think so. They have the right > idea, a Mac that you can internally expand with hard drives and > expansion cards to add functionality like USB 3.0 when it comes out. > > http://store.psystar.com/review/product/list/id/106/category/39/ > > > John LOL! Reviews at the mfg site? Regardless of who's site it is, those are usually useless. What the hell would you think reviews of Pystar on Pystar's site would say? Lloyd Parsons wrote: > In article <h88s9j$8gm$1@news.eternal-september.org>, > John Slade <hhitman86@pacbell.net> wrote: > >> Some of these people seem to think so. They have the right >> idea, a Mac that you can internally expand with hard drives and >> expansion cards to add functionality like USB 3.0 when it comes out. >> >> http://store.psystar.com/review/product/list/id/106/category/39/ >> >> >> John > > LOL! Reviews at the mfg site? Regardless of who's site it is, those > are usually useless. What the hell would...

[News] Mac OS X Users Leave Apple and Come to Desktop GNU/Linux

Web resources about - Apple Remote Desktop - comp.sys.mac.comm

Virtual desktop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... a virtualized environment between the computer platform and its operating system, see Virtual machine . For virtual machines running desktop ...

Last Chance for Desktop-or-Die Crowd: Google Cranks Up Search Benefit to Mobile-Friendly Pages
Brands and publishers that still haven't gotten around to building a responsive site might want to tweak their development roadmap, uh, yesterday. ...

NooG is a compact web search bar for your PC desktop
NooG is a lightweight internet search bar for the Windows desktop. We watched the installation process closely, because this is just the kind ...

This app brings your entire desktop into the VR world with you
... you're browsing the Internet, watching Netflix or even playing a non-VR game, BigScreen is a piece of software that can bring your desktop into ...

Smart Reply in Desktop Google Inbox
... Inbox service has a feature that suggests 3 short replies. It was first added to the Inbox mobile apps and now it's available in the desktop ...

Here’s how Siri might get to your desktop
... getting Siri on your MacBook or iMac might seem like something out of a near-future like the one shown in Her by Spike Jones. Siri on the desktop ...

Android N has a “Freeform” Desktop-Style Floating App Window Mode
... within a single side of Multi-Window, as well. There is even mouse support as well, which could be some sort of sign that Android as a desktop ...

Opera's desktop web browser gets built-in ad blocking
If you use a major desktop web browser, you usually have to hunt down an ad blocking add-on if you're determined to purge intrusive promos from ...

Computer Sales Continue to Evolve Away From Desktop PCs, Says Report
As desktop PC sales continue to fade, steady sales of laptops and portables appear to debunk the idea that PCs are dead, the report finds.

AMD launches XConnect, partners with Intel, Razer to drive desktop gaming on laptops
AMD's XConnect is designed to bridge the gap between mobile and desktop-class gaming hardware and give gamers the advantages of both.