connect imac 5.1 osx 10.5.8 to pc windows me

Hi,

I would like to connect an iMac 5.1 running OSX 10.5.8 to a pc running
Windows ME so i can transfer files back and forth. Ive been playing
with an ethernet cable but I'm unable to find any help on the web.

Any help?

comp.sys.mac.comm 3057 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

In article
<7a18916c-164e-4f69-b117-2ddc3f73e40e@30g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>,
 WebDude <gentle_kniight@excite.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to connect an iMac 5.1 running OSX 10.5.8 to a pc running
> Windows ME so i can transfer files back and forth. Ive been playing
> with an ethernet cable but I'm unable to find any help on the web.
>

> Any help?

Hopefully these will help, especially the first one:

http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/migrate/

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1568

http://www.mac-connect.com/

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/remote-desktop/default.mspx

http://www.macwindows.com/

http://guides.macrumors.com/Networking_Windows_with_Mac_OS_X
0
timmcn (2339)
4/3/2010 3:20:09 PM
Thanks for replying,

I connected the two computers using the standard ethernet cable from
my DSLmodem/pc connection. I enabled sharing on windows ME. I found my
PC ip address and my MACintosh ip address. Then i went to MACintosh
finder>go>connect to server> entered in the ip address.. and no go.
so, I went to my PC and opened up a new window in explorer and typed
in the ip address of the MACintosh... no go.

very frustrating.

<007631bb-ca4e-4a8e-a8cc-307d5f739d0e@11g2000yqr.googlegroups.com>,
 WebDude <gentle_kniight@excite.com> wrote:

> Thanks for replying,
>
> I connected the two computers using the standard ethernet cable from
> my DSLmodem/pc connection. I enabled sharing on windows ME. I found my
> PC ip address and my MACintosh ip address. Then i went to MACintosh
> finder>go>connect to server> entered in the ip address.. and no go.
> so, I went to my PC and opened up a new window in explorer and typed
> in the ip address of the MACintosh... no go.
>
> very frustrating.
>

> > Hopefully these will help, especially the first one:
> >
> > http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/migrate/
> >
> > http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1568
> >
> > http://www.mac-connect.com/
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/remote-desktop/default.mspx
> >
> > http://www.macwindows.com/
> >
> > http://guides.macrumors.com/Networking_Windows_with_Mac_OS_X

I may have an older Mac OS (10.4.11) than you.  IIRC I would have to go
to System Preferences > Sharing > Services > click on Windows Sharing.
You might need to do that on your iMac as well.  Also, remember that
from your Mac you can't just enter the IP address of a directly
connected Windows PC.  You have to use "smb://" the IP address *and* the
share name:

> Direct connect
>
> To move files by connecting your Mac directly to your PC:
>
>    1. Connect your Mac to your PC using a standard Ethernet cable.
>    2. Make sure that both computers are turned on.
>    3. In the Finder on your Mac, choose Connect to Server from the Go menu to
>    open the window.
>    4. Type your PC's network address in the Server Address text box using one
>    of these formats:
>           * smb://DNSname/ShareName
>           * smb://IPaddress/ShareName
>    5. Click Connect.
>    6. Follow the onscreen instructions to enter your PC's workgroup name,
>    user name, password, and the volume or folder you wish to access.
>    7. Your PC volume should appear on your Mac Desktop.
>    8. Open the volume and drag and drop files directly from it to anywhere on
>    your Mac.
>    9. When finished, drag your PC volume to the Trash to unmount it.

Good luck!
0
timmcn (2339)
4/6/2010 1:58:49 PM
On Mon, 5 Apr 2010 21:26:02 -0700 (PDT), WebDude wrote:

> Thanks for replying,
>
> I connected the two computers using the standard ethernet cable from
> my DSLmodem/pc connection. I enabled sharing on windows ME. I found my
> PC ip address and my MACintosh ip address. Then i went to MACintosh
> finder>go>connect to server> entered in the ip address.. and no go.
> so, I went to my PC and opened up a new window in explorer and typed
> in the ip address of the MACintosh... no go.
>
> very frustrating.

Do you need a crossover cable?

These days many ethernet ports automatically reconfigure for a
straight-through cable, but maybe some don't - especially older ones.

--
Gene E. Bloch      letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom
0
>On Apr 6, 9:58=A0am, Tim McNamara <tim...@bitstream.net> wrote:
> I may have an older Mac OS (10.4.11) than you. =A0IIRC I would have to go
> to System Preferences > Sharing > Services > click on Windows Sharing. =
=A0
> You might need to do that on your iMac as well. =A0Also, remember that
> from your Mac you can't just enter the IP address of a directly
> connected Windows PC. =A0You have to use "smb://" the IP address *and* th=
> share name:

well.. there is no "windows sharing" option  on my mac (osx10.5.8).
and i typed in the ip address along with the name of my pc folder i
wish to share
.... "smb://167.123.12.1/pcSharedFolder/"

> > Direct connect
>
> > To move files by connecting your Mac directly to your PC:
>
> > =A0 =A01. Connect your Mac to your PC using a standard Ethernet cable.
> > =A0 =A02. Make sure that both computers are turned on.
> > =A0 =A03. In the Finder on your Mac, choose Connect to Server from the =
Go menu to
> > =A0 =A0open the window.
> > =A0 =A04. Type your PC's network address in the Server Address text box=
 using one
> > =A0 =A0of these formats:
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 * smb://DNSname/ShareName
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 * smb://IPaddress/ShareName
> > =A0 =A05. Click Connect.

i never get passed step 5, it always says unable to connect to server.

> > =A0 =A06. Follow the onscreen instructions to enter your PC's workgroup=
 name,
> > =A0 =A0user name, password, and the volume or folder you wish to access=
..
> > =A0 =A07. Your PC volume should appear on your Mac Desktop.
> > =A0 =A08. Open the volume and drag and drop files directly from it to a=
nywhere on
> > =A0 =A0your Mac.
> > =A0 =A09. When finished, drag your PC volume to the Trash to unmount it=
..

> Good luck!
I'm still unable to connect my pc directly to my macintosh using an
ethernet cable. However, if i plug both machines to a router my
macintosh sees the pc instantly without my having to adjust any
settings - and im able to swap files. At any rate, if there is a way
to directly connect my pc (running windows ME) to my iMac (running osx
10.5.8) using a single ethernet cable, lemme know.

Cheers.
In article
<48fb0604-9be1-43ba-8392-b33c177520ae@8g2000yqz.googlegroups.com>,
 WebDude <gentle_kniight@excite.com> wrote:

> >On Apr 6, 9:58 am, Tim McNamara <tim...@bitstream.net> wrote:
> > I may have an older Mac OS (10.4.11) than you.  IIRC I would have to go
> > to System Preferences > Sharing > Services > click on Windows Sharing.
> > You might need to do that on your iMac as well.  Also, remember that
> > from your Mac you can't just enter the IP address of a directly
> > connected Windows PC.  You have to use "smb://" the IP address *and* the
> > share name:
>
> well.. there is no "windows sharing" option  on my mac (osx10.5.8).

It's been relabelled "File sharing" - no distinction in sharing the
files on your Mac with other Macs and/or Windows computers.

You might also want to check your security settings (System Preferences)

> and i typed in the ip address along with the name of my pc folder i
> wish to share
> ... "smb://167.123.12.1/pcSharedFolder/"
>

> > > Direct connect
> >
> > > To move files by connecting your Mac directly to your PC:
> >
> > >    1. Connect your Mac to your PC using a standard Ethernet cable.
> > >    2. Make sure that both computers are turned on.

If you look in Finder -> Go -> Network, do you see your PC showing up?
If not, then the following steps probably won't work.

> > >    3. In the Finder on your Mac, choose Connect to Server from the Go
> > > menu to
> > >    open the window.
> > >    4. Type your PC's network address in the Server Address text box using
> > > one
> > >    of these formats:
> > >           * smb://DNSname/ShareName
> > >           * smb://IPaddress/ShareName
> > >    5. Click Connect.
>
> i never get passed step 5, it always says unable to connect to server.

Silly question, but how did you set up file sharing on the PC? If you
can't get past this point, then either the PC isn't configured to share
files, or a security setting on either machine is getting in the way.

> > >    6. Follow the onscreen instructions to enter your PC's workgroup name,
> > >    user name, password, and the volume or folder you wish to access.
> > >    7. Your PC volume should appear on your Mac Desktop.
> > >    8. Open the volume and drag and drop files directly from it to
> > > anywhere on
> > >    your Mac.
> > >    9. When finished, drag your PC volume to the Trash to unmount it.
> >
> > Good luck!
0
no.email4 (123)
4/7/2010 1:18:41 PM
Hi David.

> You might also want to check your security settings (System Preferences)

Everything in the security control panel is UNcheckmarked.

> If you look in Finder -> Go -> Network, do you see your PC showing up?
> If not, then the following steps probably won't work.

Finder>go>Network... my pc does not show up.

> Silly question, but how did you set up file sharing on the PC? If you
> can't get past this point, then either the PC isn't configured to share
> files, or a security setting on either machine is getting in the way.

i followed these steps...
http://www.wellesley.edu/Computing/FileSharing/Windows/win98me.html

cheers.
On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 22:05:53 -0700 (PDT), WebDude wrote:

> I'm still unable to connect my pc directly to my macintosh using an
> ethernet cable. However, if i plug both machines to a router my
> macintosh sees the pc instantly without my having to adjust any
> settings - and im able to swap files. At any rate, if there is a way
> to directly connect my pc (running windows ME) to my iMac (running osx
> 10.5.8) using a single ethernet cable, lemme know.
>
> Cheers.

I already did, and you just confirmed it. Get a crossover cat 5 or 6 cable
instead of a straight-through cable.

--
Gene E. Bloch      letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom
0
not-me (27)
4/7/2010 9:01:40 PM
In article <124kkmvt0g9wk.1qbceqce0wrkg.dlg@40tude.net>,
 "Gene E. Bloch" <not-me@other.invalid> wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 22:05:53 -0700 (PDT), WebDude wrote:
>
> > I'm still unable to connect my pc directly to my macintosh using an
> > ethernet cable. However, if i plug both machines to a router my
> > macintosh sees the pc instantly without my having to adjust any
> > settings - and im able to swap files. At any rate, if there is a way
> > to directly connect my pc (running windows ME) to my iMac (running osx
> > 10.5.8) using a single ethernet cable, lemme know.
> >
> > Cheers.
>
> I already did, and you just confirmed it. Get a crossover cat 5 or 6 cable
> instead of a straight-through cable.

Windows ME is antiquated and may not be able to adjust automatically to
a crossover versus straight-through cable.  Windows ME never worked all
that well to begin with.  I'm amazed the OP has put up with it this long.

I'd advise swapping of all the files needed off the computer running
Windows ME- using the router method since that is known to work- and
then turning it off permanently.  Just use the Mac. End of problem.
0
timmcn (2339)
4/7/2010 11:40:07 PM
On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 18:40:07 -0500, Tim McNamara wrote:

> In article <124kkmvt0g9wk.1qbceqce0wrkg.dlg@40tude.net>,
>  "Gene E. Bloch" <not-me@other.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 22:05:53 -0700 (PDT), WebDude wrote:
>>
>>> I'm still unable to connect my pc directly to my macintosh using an
>>> ethernet cable. However, if i plug both machines to a router my
>>> macintosh sees the pc instantly without my having to adjust any
>>> settings - and im able to swap files. At any rate, if there is a way
>>> to directly connect my pc (running windows ME) to my iMac (running osx
>>> 10.5.8) using a single ethernet cable, lemme know.
>>>
>>> Cheers.
>>
>> I already did, and you just confirmed it. Get a crossover cat 5 or 6 cable
>> instead of a straight-through cable.
>
> Windows ME is antiquated and may not be able to adjust automatically to
> a crossover versus straight-through cable.

It has nothing to do with Windows, it is a hardware function, built into
the network port - or not, especially in older ports.

Anyway, the adjustment is not to a crossover cable, it is to a straight
cable, when two ordinary Ethernet ports are connected by one of those. They
are *supposed* to be connected by a crossover cable.

> Windows ME never worked all
> that well to begin with.  I'm amazed the OP has put up with it this long.
>
> I'd advise swapping of all the files needed off the computer running
> Windows ME- using the router method since that is known to work- and
> then turning it off permanently.  Just use the Mac. End of problem.

To me that advice is not at all constructive. The OP wishes to connect to
the Windows machine. Let's help him do that, shall we?

--
Gene E. Bloch      letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom
0
not-me (27)
4/8/2010 3:20:51 AM
In article
<d0a03d02-a3fe-42ee-9ab9-473a5e37dd5e@x20g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,
 WebDude <gentle_kniight@excite.com> wrote:

> Hi David.
>

> > You might also want to check your security settings (System Preferences)
>
> Everything in the security control panel is UNcheckmarked.

What option do you have selected on the Firewall tab of that control
panel?

> > If you look in Finder -> Go -> Network, do you see your PC showing up?
> > If not, then the following steps probably won't work.
>
> Finder>go>Network... my pc does not show up.

Then something is wrong somewhere.  Was this connection using a
crossover cable or through a router?

> > Silly question, but how did you set up file sharing on the PC? If you
> > can't get past this point, then either the PC isn't configured to share
> > files, or a security setting on either machine is getting in the way.
>
> i followed these steps...
> http://www.wellesley.edu/Computing/FileSharing/Windows/win98me.html

It has been a VERY long time since I did anything with Win98 networking.
However, you might want to try turning on File Sharing on your Mac, make
sure you "Allow all connections" in the firewall (at least temporarily),
and try browsing to your Mac from the PC using the network browser under
windows. I seem to recall having many problems with Win98 <-> Mac due
to Win98 not really being happy unless there was a network ?controller?
(I think that's the correct Win98 term).

I have to confess that I've always taken a more conservative approach
to file transfer, though: either burning the files to a CD or using
a USB key.  You can still get higher bandwidth using SneakerNet than
ethernet!
0
no.email4 (123)
4/8/2010 12:51:55 PM
Hi Gene :-)

On Apr 7, 5:01=A0pm, "Gene E. Bloch" <not...@other.invalid> wrote:
> I already did, and you just confirmed it. Get a crossover cat 5 or 6 cabl=
> instead of a straight-through cable.

All i have are straight-through ethernet cables so, before i go out
and buy a crossover cable i want to make sure nothing else is wrong
with my hardware or software setup. Infact, i did a search on google
and found alot of people have network problems using Macosx 10.5
(Leopard).

Cheers.

 > What option do you have selected on the Firewall tab of that
control
> panel?

"Allow all incoming connections"

> > Finder>go>Network... my pc does not show up.
>
> Then something is wrong somewhere. =A0Was this connection using a
> crossover cable or through a router?

i connected my pc to my mac using a straight-through ethernet cable.
but when i went to finder>go>network.. the pc does not show up.
so i went finder>go>connect to server.. and type in the pc ip
address ..
"smb://192.106.4.1/pcsharedfolder" ..and it tells me there is no such
server.

next i connected the pc to a router, and my mac to the same router.
under finder>go>network.. nothing shows up but then i go to..
finder>go>connect to server.. and i type in "smb://192.106.4.1/
pcsharedfolder"
and i AM able to connect to the pc.

> It has been a VERY long time since I did anything with Win98 networking.
> However, you might want to try turning on File Sharing on your Mac, make
> sure you "Allow all connections" in the firewall (at least temporarily),
> and try browsing to your Mac from the PC using the network browser under
> windows. I seem to recall having many problems with Win98 <-> Mac due
> to Win98 not really being happy unless there was a network ?controller?
> (I think that's the correct Win98 term).

i went to system preferences>sharing>File Sharing.. and turned it on..
added some folders to be shared and under Users i allow "Everyone" and
"Users" access.
Then i went to my pc, and tried to connect to my mac several ways.
1) through windows explorer.. (not internet explorer).. i typed in the
macs ip with & without the shared folder name and i also tried the
prefexs ftp://, smb:// and afs://.. i also typed in my macs full name
as shown in the sharing panel. and i even tried the MAC address which
i found
2) opened up My NetWork Places.. where the mac should be listed, but
it wasnt there.
3) opened up My NetWork Places>Entire network.. and error message
popped up.." unable to browse the network"
4) opened up My NetWork Places>add network place..but my mac wasnt
listed there either.

> I have to confess that I've always taken a more conservative approach
> to file transfer, though: either burning the files to a CD or using
> a USB key. =A0You can still get higher bandwidth using SneakerNet than
> ethernet!

files are getting larger and larger these days, its easier just to
connect the computers together, better then running back n forth.  now
Google is implementing a 1 gigabyte-per-second network..
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/think-big-with-gig-our-experimental.=
html
i bet theres no lag in that system lol
On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 19:53:42 -0700 (PDT), WebDude wrote:

> Hi Gene :-)
>
> On Apr 7, 5:01�pm, "Gene E. Bloch" <not...@other.invalid> wrote:
>> I already did, and you just confirmed it. Get a crossover cat 5 or 6 cable
>> instead of a straight-through cable.
>
> All i have are straight-through ethernet cables so, before i go out
> and buy a crossover cable i want to make sure nothing else is wrong
> with my hardware or software setup. Infact, i did a search on google
> and found alot of people have network problems using Macosx 10.5
> (Leopard).
>
> Cheers.

The cable is maybe $5.

--
Gene E. Bloch      letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom
0
not-me (27)
4/9/2010 4:15:41 AM
In article
<83f593eb-2220-45af-83c3-46fef0e4ed7f@i25g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,
 WebDude <gentle_kniight@excite.com> wrote:

>  > What option do you have selected on the Firewall tab of that
> control
> > panel?
>
> "Allow all incoming connections"
>

> > > Finder>go>Network... my pc does not show up.
> >
> > Then something is wrong somewhere. �Was this connection using a
> > crossover cable or through a router?
>
> i connected my pc to my mac using a straight-through ethernet cable.
> but when i went to finder>go>network.. the pc does not show up.
> so i went finder>go>connect to server.. and type in the pc ip
> address ..
> "smb://192.106.4.1/pcsharedfolder" ..and it tells me there is no such
> server.
>
> next i connected the pc to a router, and my mac to the same router.
> under finder>go>network.. nothing shows up but then i go to..
> finder>go>connect to server.. and i type in "smb://192.106.4.1/
> pcsharedfolder" and i AM able to connect to the pc.

Since your PC is running a pretty old version of Windows I am thinking
that it is a pretty old PC.  It may not be able to automatically adjust
to using a straight-through rather than crossover Ethernet cable for
direct connection to another computer; putting the router in between
then solves that problem.

Since that method already works, that's the one I'd recommend using.
This is the option I would take.  If you're really wanting to connect
them directly then I'd recommend getting a crossover cable and seeing if
that solves the problem.

If both computers have a FireWire port, it might be possible to transfer
files by putting the Mac in target disk mode.  I've never used it.
Basically the Mac temporarily becomes just a hard drive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Target_Disk_Mode
0
timmcn (2339)
4/9/2010 2:38:47 PM
Hi Gene,

My iMac5.1 comes with auto-mdix so i should be able to use any type of
ethernet cable when connecting to another computer... http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2274
....  i dont think buying a crossover will solve the problem.. when i
got home i woke up my mac and it had the pc listed in the sidebar
under servers.  WTH

> > All i have are straight-through ethernet cables so, before i go out
> > and buy a crossover cable i want to make sure nothing else is wrong
> > with my hardware or software setup. Infact, i did a search on google
> > and found alot of people have network problems using Macosx 10.5
> > (Leopard).
>
> > Cheers.
>
> The cable is maybe $5.
> Since your PC is running a pretty old version of Windows I am thinking
> that it is a pretty old PC. =A0It may not be able to automatically adjust
> to using a straight-through rather than crossover Ethernet cable for
> direct connection to another computer; putting the router in between
> then solves that problem.

i was gone all day and the mac was asleep...  when i got home i woke
up the mac and it had the pc listed in the finders sidebar under
servers, what?! while just the day before i had to finder>go>connect
to server> and manually type in the pc's ip address before it would
show up in the finder?!

> Since that method already works, that's the one I'd recommend using. =A0
> This is the option I would take. =A0If you're really wanting to connect
> them directly then I'd recommend getting a crossover cable and seeing if
> that solves the problem.

My iMac5.1 comes with auto-mdix so i should be able to use any type of
ethernet cable when connecting to another computer... http://support.apple.=
com/kb/HT2274

anyways, i think the problem is with osx 10.5 leopard, other people
have network problems with this version of osx.

> If both computers have a FireWire port, it might be possible to transfer
> files by putting the Mac in target disk mode. =A0I've never used it. =A0
> Basically the Mac temporarily becomes just a hard drive.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Target_Disk_Mode

target disk mode..  wow,cool... thanks.

In article
<10a31258-72af-4a60-9d85-f7886a6ee4ee@30g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>,
 WebDude <gentle_kniight@excite.com> wrote:

> Hi Gene,
>
> My iMac5.1 comes with auto-mdix so i should be able to use any type of
> ethernet cable when connecting to another computer...
> http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2274
> ...  i dont think buying a crossover will solve the problem.. when i
> got home i woke up my mac and it had the pc listed in the sidebar
> under servers.  WTH
>

> > > All i have are straight-through ethernet cables so, before i go out
> > > and buy a crossover cable i want to make sure nothing else is wrong
> > > with my hardware or software setup. Infact, i did a search on google
> > > and found alot of people have network problems using Macosx 10.5
> > > (Leopard).
> >
> > > Cheers.
> >
> > The cable is maybe $5.

I think you're missing the point being made, WebDude.  The problem in
this little dance is probably your Windows computer which is old and
using a not-very-good operating system.
0
timmcn (2339)
4/10/2010 2:58:05 PM
I have another computer running windowsXP and its connected wireless
to the same router as the other computers. And it too randomly appears
and dissapears from the server list in the macs finder sidebar. and
even though they disappear, I used the imacs network utility to ping
the windows machines and they pinged back, so.... alot of people are
having problems getting servers to list in the sidebar using macosx
10.5 - they suggest force quiting the finder or going into the finders
preferences and clicking then re-clicking the show servers option or
creating a "location" in the network preferences, or renewing the
DHCP... etc etc

but that doesnt mean i dont agree with you,  windowsME  sucks..  i
found a pentium4 WindowsXp machine in the trash maybe ill switch. im
just waiting till 3D comes standard and everyone trashes their old
46inch lcds. baby wants to watch HiDef.

cheers.

> I think you're missing the point being made, WebDude. =A0The problem in
> this little dance is probably your Windows computer which is old and
> using a not-very-good operating system.
OK, I take it all back :-)

I'm sure auto adapting at only one end is quite enough, so I withdraw my
sharp-tongued reply. Besides, since it's now working, I guess your computer
just got tired and needed that nap :-)

Sorry for the late reply - I've been visiting family where there was no web
access.

--
Gene E. Bloch      letters0x40blochg0x2Ecom
0
not-me (27)
4/19/2010 6:07:43 PM
No need to apologize :-) , I found your posts helpful - not offensive.

Cheers.

On Apr 19, 2:07=A0pm, "Gene E. Bloch" <not...@other.invalid> wrote:
> OK, I take it all back :-)
>
> I'm sure auto adapting at only one end is quite enough, so I withdraw my
> sharp-tongued reply. Besides, since it's now working, I guess your comput=
er
> just got tired and needed that nap :-)
>
> Sorry for the late reply - I've been visiting family where there was no w=
eb
> access.

AppleJack 1.5 for Mac OSX 10.5
How about some feedback on the new release of AppleJack? I have been reluctant to even try it on this 24-inch iMac http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/15667/applejack On 2008-09-03 06:57:08 -0400, aRKay <arkayREMOVE@qsl.net> said: > How about some feedback on the new release of AppleJack? > > I have been reluctant to even try it on this 24-inch iMac > > http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/15667/applejack I've had a version of Applejack on my machines for years and have 1.5 on them now, given a choice I wouldn't be without it. Its just a shell script tha...

Scilab 5.1.1. does not open on iMac G5 running Mac OS X 10.5.6
Hi there, Scilab 5.1.1. (and even 5.1) does not open up. When I double click on scilab 5.1.1 in the Applications folder, the "Scilab bird" appears in the dock, which then soon transforms into a paper with a cup. Nothing happens after that! I have to force quit it. I simply ran scilab-bin under the MacOS of the package. I get the following error message dyld: Library not loaded: /Users/pmarecha/compilation_chain_macosx/ sci_binary/scilab-5.1.1-alpha-1.app/Contents/MacOS/lib/scilab/ libscilab.0.dylib Referenced from: /Applications/scilab-5.1.1-alpha-1.app/Contents/ MacOS/bin/./scilab-bin Reason: image not found I am not sure if the above alone is a problem or if there is an additional problem due to Java. I have Java installed. Running java - version yields java version "1.5.0_16" Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_16- b06-284) Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_16-133, mixed mode, sharing) Any insight would be really helpful! I am running Mac OS X 10.5.6 Thanks in advance best regards Arun In article <a6fbd1c6-69e3-4426-9ad0-199d7a22726d@c18g2000prh.googlegroups.com>, arun.kt@gmail.com <arun.kt@gmail.com> wrote: >Hi there, > >Scilab 5.1.1. (and even 5.1) does not open up. When I double click on >scilab 5.1.1 in the Applications folder, the "Scilab bird" appears in >the dock, which then soon transforms into a paper with a cup. Nothing >...

Vuescan 8.0.5 not starting in Mac OS X 10.1.5
Vuescan 8.0.5 fails to start in Mac OS X 10.1.5. I have been running VS 7.x.x successfully. The 8.0.x series will not run. Where do I look for the source of problems? I'll most appreciative of pointers to any available resources. I can't find so much as a crash log. Thank you! "Richard Wyble" <rwyble@yahoo.com> wrote in message: > Vuescan 8.0.5 fails to start in Mac OS X 10.1.5. Yes, you need Mac OS X 10.2 for VueScan 8.0 Regards, Ed Hamrick Ed Hamrick wrote: > "Richard Wyble" <rwyble@yahoo.com> wrote in mes...

Re: Puzzle: Converting 1-10 to 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 #5
Wow! I didn't know that the do statement could do that! Certainly one = could write code to replace all dashes with a ' to '. =20 -Mary ----- Original Message -----=20 From: Miller, Scott=20 To: Mary ; walker.627@OSU.EDU=20 Sent: Friday, October 03, 2008 4:08 PM Subject: RE: Re: Puzzle: Converting 1-10 to 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 i did your approach, mary, except with a slight change in the numbers. = i replaced the - with ' to ' and used a do statement to get the values. = then used a similar sql statement to load those numbers into a macro = var. =20 da...

Connect an old parallel HP LaserJet 6P printer to MacBook Pros (Mac OS X 10.5.8 and 10.8.2)?
Hello. My client would like to know if it is possible to connect his very old parallel HP LaserJet 6P printer to his MacBook Pros since inkjet printers' inks are expensive compared to old reliable and cheaper laser. I assume it would require an USB+parallel adapter to physically connect. Also, there are HP drivers for Mac OS X 10.5.x and older, but none for the newer ones like 10.8.2. :( Thank you in advance. :) -- "The ambitious one makes friends with the elephant, then tramples upon the ant." --Indian /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (P...

Re: Subject: Building ACE 5.3.1 on Mac OS X (Tiger) 10.4.2 was [ace-users] Building ACE on Mac OSX 10.4
Hi Jason, Thanks for using the PRF. >> ACE VERSION: 5.3.1 This version of ACE is ANCIENT. The forthcoming ACE 5.4.8 beta should work "out of the box" for Mac OS X Tiger. If you want a preview, please download the version in our CVS repo at http://cvs.doc.wustl.edu/ take care, Doug >> HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: Mac OS X 10.4.2 >> COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL): >> powerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1 >> >> CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h: >> >> /* -*- C++ ...

Re: Subject: Building ACE 5.3.1 on Mac OS X (Tiger) 10.4.2 was [ace-users] Building ACE on Mac OSX 10.4 #2
Hi Jason, >> I know it isn't the most recent version available, but this version >> is used extensively across the corporation. Changing the version of >> ACE all these products used will cause the architect's heads to >> explode ;) >> >> Is it your opinion that 5.3.1 is hopeless cause on Tiger? It'll take some work, but companies like Riverace, Remedy, and OCI can help out with this stuff if staying with 5.3.1 is essential. Please see http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/commercial-support.html for help with this stuff. >>...

RE: Subject: Building ACE 5.3.1 on Mac OS X (Tiger) 10.4.2 was [ace-users] Building ACE on Mac OSX 10.4 #2
Hi Jason, > > >> ACE VERSION: 5.3.1 > > > > This version of ACE is ANCIENT. The forthcoming ACE 5.4.8 > beta should > > work "out of the box" for Mac OS X Tiger. If you want a preview, > > please download the version in our CVS repo at > > I know it isn't the most recent version available, but this > version is used > extensively across the corporation. Changing the version of > ACE all these > products used will cause the architect's heads to explode ;) ;-) Right - this is where the value of commercial support providers comes into play. DOC's research efforts continue to march on as they should, while commercial product efforts are best served by sticking with a version of ACE over time. Companies such as Riverace can make a 5.3-base version work on Mac OS X Tiger, for instance, as well as make sure that when your product is ready for an upgrade, the new version of ACE won't surprise you. I'd be happy to discuss further how we can help you and your architects - we don't want any heads to explode :-) -Steve -- Steve Huston, Riverace Corporation Helping you succeed with ACE See http://www.riverace.com/support.htm ...

RE: Subject: Building ACE 5.3.1 on Mac OS X (Tiger) 10.4.2 was [ace-users] Building ACE on Mac OSX 10.4 #2
Hi Doug, > > Thanks for using the PRF. > > >> ACE VERSION: 5.3.1 > > This version of ACE is ANCIENT. The forthcoming ACE 5.4.8 beta should > work "out of the box" for Mac OS X Tiger. If you want a preview, > please download the version in our CVS repo at I know it isn't the most recent version available, but this version is used extensively across the corporation. Changing the version of ACE all these products used will cause the architect's heads to explode ;) Is it your opinion that 5.3.1 is hopeless cause on ...

Hi. Someone told me that Mac OS X 10.7.x and 10.8.x do not come with iLife like the older Mac OS X versions (e.g., 10.5.x). I did not know this! Since my client uses iPhoto that came preinstalled on his old 2008 MacBook Pro's Mac OS X 10.5.x (10.5.8 right now), can he use the old one from 10.5.8? Or will he need a third party replacement (needs to import/copy the old image files) or buy a new iPhoto version for his photo(graph)s? I recalled he did not like iPhoto and wonder if the new one is any better. Thank you in advance. :) -- Quote of the Week: "Every ruler...

ruby-1.8.6-p111 build on osx 10.5.0 fails; ok on 10.4.10. bug or config?
hi, not sure if this is a bug or a config issue ... since ruby _ships_ on osx, i thought i'd check here first ... any hints ? thanks! i'm building ruby-1.8.6-p111 w/ ./configure \ --prefix=/usr/local/ruby \ --mandir=/usr/local/man \ --disable-fat-binary \ --enable-frame-address \ --enable-largefile \ --enable-pthread \ --enable-shared \ --enable-install-doc a subsequent make is _OK_ on OSX 10.4.10/Tiger, but, reproducibly fails at, ./mkconfig.rb:191: [BUG] Bus Error ruby 1.8.6 (2007-09-24) [powerpc-darwin9.0.0] make: *** [.rbconfig.time] Abort trap on OSX 10.5....

Unable to build Tcl 8.5.12 on Mac 10.8.1
Hi, last time I was able to build Tcl (or rather Tk) 8.5 on my Mac was at versi= on 8.5.9 and I cannot really remember why. But nw I tried again using Tcl 8= ..5.12 and the build failed (on Mac OS X 10.8.1) at this point in the 'make= ' command: gcc -c -Os -arch i386 -pipe -fpascal-strings -mmacosx-version-min=3D10.5 = -Wall -fno-common -I/Users/Torsten/Tcl/distrib/tk8.5.12/unix/../unix -I/Us= ers/Torsten/Tcl/distrib/tk8.5.12/unix/../generic -I/Users/Torsten/Tcl/distr= ib/tk8.5.12/unix/../bitmaps -I/Users/Torsten/Tcl/distrib/tcl8.5.12/generic = -I/Users/Torsten/Tcl/d...

perl 5.8 on OS 10.1.5
I'm thinking of installing perl 5.8 on OS X 10.1.5 (Can't afford Jaguar or Panther yet, so don't waste time preaching to the choir about that.) Is there any reason not to, or anything not obvious I should know? (I want it because it uses Unicode internally, even though I hear it breaks a lot of existing scripts. At the moment, I only need it for working with UTF-8 and I am writing new scripts for what I want.) Mon, 04 Aug 2003 12:15:51 -0500, wesgroleau@myrealbox.com suggested: : I'm thinking of installing perl 5.8 on OS X 10.1.5 : : (Can't afford Jaguar or Panther y...

Bryce 5.5 and Mac 10.5 on intel
I am a long time bryce user and am getting a intel mac mini with mac 10.5 installed on it and I do a lot of 3d modelling in Br?yce, and I plan to download bryce 5.5 off the net. would bryce 5.5 work on a intel based mac 10.5 on a mac mini? Thanks in advance. William Walker In article <YCJKj.7312$n8.305@news-server.bigpond.net.au>, "William Walker" <ww1971@bigpond.com> wrote: > I am a long time bryce user and am getting a intel mac mini with mac 10.5 > installed on it and I do a lot of 3d modelling in Br?yce, and I plan to > download bryce 5.5 off the...

Re: Puzzle: Converting 1-10 to 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 #8
You program does not work "the first time" becasue NUMSTR does not exist. 7235 Data _Null_; 7236 Length NewString $ 200 ; 7237 String = '1-10,21,22,30-35,40,41' ; 7238 7239 7240 call execute ( "proc format; value numstr " || 7241 String || 7242 " ='Nums'; run ;"); 7243 7244 Do _K = input(Scan( String , 1 , ',-' ),best12.) To 7245 input(Scan( String , -1 , ',-'),best12.); 7246 if put(_K,numstr.)='Nums' then ------- 484 NOTE 48...

Realbasic 5.5 and Mac OS X 10.1
I currently decided not to let my old iMac be a paperweight and decided to embark on some programming on it and recently purchased the RB License. I know at the moment, Mac OS X 10.1 runs RealBasic and was wondering if I should upgrade to Mac OS X 10.3 now or I should be able to enjoy the full benefit of RealBasic now with my 10.1. The point is that should I upgrade to Mac OS X 10.3 now then do the upgrade to Mac OS X 10.4 when it is available probably this year or can I continue using 10.1 now and upgrade to 10.4 when it comes available. Thanks. Edwin In article <4...

resolv.rb issues with metasploit3.1 on OSX 10.5.4 ruby 1.8.6
I don't know whether this may be an issue related to the metasploit framework or to the ruby core directly..... one of the latest metasploit plugins uses the resolv module: require 'resolv' once i run the plugin, I got the following error: Auxiliary failed: no such file to load -- win32/resolv [07/24/2008 16:24:11] [d(3)] core: Call stack: /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `gem_original_require' /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `req...

mac osx 10.5.8 (sound)
Is there any way to connect external speakers to the optical output port in the back of my imac g5, and still hear through the internal speakers, or is there no additional application that will accomplish this task? In article <87793fb3-f8d4-4512-b4a6-7f8cb3134dfe@googlegroups.com>, r3whitmedia@gmail.com wrote: > Is there any way to connect external speakers to the optical output port in > the back of my imac g5, and still hear through the internal speakers, or is > there no additional application that will accomplish this task? I'm pretty sure that's a har...

Installing Informix 11.50 On MAC OSX 10.5.5
Hi, I attempted an install on my MacBook Pro, and could not get IDS to start. The install _did_ complete without incident up until the demo was being initialized, and then completed telling me to look at the log. Several attempts at oninit -iy yielded more errors... help! *<8o) Model Name: MacBook Pro Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz Number Of Processors: 1 Total Number Of Cores: 2 L2 Cache: 4 MB Memory: 4 GB Bus Speed: 800 MHz Boot ROM Version: MBP31.0070.B07 SMC Version: 1.16f10 OS: MAC OSX 10.5.5 12:12:50 IBM Informix Dynamic Server Started. Tue Sep 16 12:12:50 2008 12:12:50 Event alarms enabled. ALARMPROG = '/Applications/IBM/informix/etc/alarmprogram.sh' 12:12:50 Booting Language <c> from module <> 12:12:50 Loading Module <CNULL> 12:12:50 Booting Language <builtin> from module <> 12:12:50 Loading Module <BUILTINNULL> 12:12:50 Warning: CONSOLE = /Applications/IBM/informix/tmp/online.con open failed. Redirecting output to '/dev/null'. 12:12:55 Waiting 60 seconds for startup to complete. 12:12:55 DR: DRAUTO is 0 (Off) 12:12:55 DR: ENCRYPT_HDR is 0 (HDR encryption Disabled) 12:12:55 IBM Informix Dynamic Server Version 11.50.FC2DE Software Serial Number AAA#B000000 12:12:55 listener-thread: err = -25572: oserr = 49: errstr = : Network driver cannot bind a na...

OsX 10.5.5
Hi all, Is possible to realize a thing like this in osx ? http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.rpdb.multiple-links.html In article <gd4fbv$6b2$1@registered.motzarella.org>, Tiziano <tiziano@e-tip.net> wrote: > Hi all, > Is possible to realize a thing like this in osx ? > http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.rpdb.multiple-links.html I'm pretty sure this is possible with ipfw, which is built into Mac OS X. -- Send responses to the relevant news group rather than to me, as E-mail sent to this address may be devoured by my very hungry SPAM filter. Due to Google's refusal to prev...

Re: Puzzle: Converting 1-10 to 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 #10
This is absurd - but uses the call execute as I intended.... data strings; String='1-10,21,22,30-35,40,43'; output; String='7-8,11-22,26-35,36'; output; String='9-20,31,32,34-35,41,44'; output; run; Data _Null_; set strings; call execute ( "proc format;value numstr " ||String||"='Nums';run;"); if _n_=1 then call execute (" Data NewStrings(drop=_:); Length NewString $ 200 ; if _n_=1 then do; Do _K = input(Scan('"||String||"',1,',-'),best12.) To input(Scan('"||String||"',-1,',-...

Advice on Upgrading from 10.5 to 10.5.1
Based on lessons learned the hard way do not use the OSX Software Update. Get the MacOSXUpd10.5.1.dmg from Apple. If you have already used the Software Update and have some weird messages when you try to Repair Disk Permissions using the Disk Utility, download MacOSXUpd10.5.1.dmg and reinstall. I am not sure what i wrong with the Software Update but the MacOSXUpd10.5.1.dmg works great and cleared a number of DU warnings. arkay aRKay wrote: > Based on lessons learned the hard way do not use the OSX Software > Update. Get the MacOSXUpd10.5.1.dmg from Apple. > > If you ha...

8.5.9 Vs 8.5.10
Hi All I am feeling some performance improvement in my app on 8.5.10 in comparison with 8.5.9 I gone through its release notes but didn't get nothing related with this. Can anybody enlighten me. Thanks Saurabh Srivastava wrote: > I am feeling some performance improvement in my app on 8.5.10 in > comparison with 8.5.9 > I gone through its release notes but didn't get nothing related with > this. Release notes are here: http://sf.net/projects/tcl/files/Tcl/8.5.10/tcltk-release-note-8.5.10.txt/view Likely suspects from that document: * TIP 378: reduced [info frame] ac...

CW 5.1.1 and CW 5.8
I am using CodeWarrior with Version 5.1.1 build 1108 to create a bundle initially. My application can call the bundle successfully. Now, I downloaded CodeWarrior Version 5.8 build 1919 to compile my old program. After I compile my old project and create a new bundle, my application fail to call the bundle. Is that any change need in my setting so that my new bundle will work? Felix Check Info.plist for key: CFBundleIdentifier. Check path to pluginfolder. Depands on how you find your bundle. Chris felix wrote: > I am using CodeWarrior with Version 5.1.1 build 1108 to c...

Web resources about - connect imac 5.1 osx 10.5.8 to pc windows me - comp.sys.mac.comm

First Capital Connect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
( FCC ) is a British train operating company , owned by FirstGroup , operating the Thameslink Great Northern franchise . FCC operates passenger ...

Connect
mobile photography technology, culture and community www.dpreview.com News Reviews Features Phones Tablets Cameras Apps Forums Mobile photography ...

CloudCraze Connects Consumers To Facebook Brands Via Cloud Technology
Brands on Facebook are always looking for new, efficient ways to connect with customers . CloudCraze, which recently released its 3.0 e-commerce ...

Apple rolls out redesigned Payments and Financial Reports view in iTunes Connect to developers
... is rolling out a small but useful improvement to developers today. It has overhauled the Payments and Financial Reports section of iTunes Connect ...

Connect shapes with one path in Linken, an elegant puzzler
For a new puzzle experience with challenging levels, attractive visuals, and a smooth soundtrack, Linken is your game. Just connect the colored ...

Samsung Connect Auto brings LTE data to your car
Filed under: Infotainment , Smartphone , Technology Samsung revealed its own take on smarter vehicle tech, called Connect Auto.

Samsung Connect Auto turns your dumb car into a smart car
It's not just brand new vehicles that can be considered smart cars. Today Samsung launches Samsung Connect Auto, a plug-in module that can transform ...

Facebook is trying to blow up another huge market as it attempts to connect the entire world
Facebook wants to connect the world. That's why it formed Internet.org, which offered free access to (parts of) the internet in the developing ...

The Near and Distant Future of IBM Connect 2016
Over the past few weeks I’ve been reflecting on my experience from IBM Connect 2016, working to synthesize what I saw, what I think about what ...

​Samsung's new dongle will connect your auto to the Web
The 4G LTE Samsung Connect Auto dongle for OBD II vehicles joins the crowded connected-car space.