Convert USB 3.0 to USB 2.0 Crazy?

Sounds useless, since most USB 3.0 devices are backward compatible.  But ap=
parently there's enough slop in the spec so that at least my 3.0 HD won't w=
ork with my Netgear WNDR4000 N700 router's USB 2.0 port, and I can't mount =
it as a network drive on my Macbook Pro Retina.  You'd expect that the comp=
atibility is achieved by some part of the doohickies ignoring the 3.0 conne=
ctions and shuffling control signals to their 2.0 counterparts.  In any cas=
e, the Netgear's not smart enough to do that or something.

Ideally, what I'd like is to have my USB 3.0 HDD plugged into the router so=
 I could do wireless Time Machine backups like a Timecapsule, but take that=
 portable 3.0 HDD along with me and do wired backups and restorals with the=
 speedy 3.0 interface on the road or when I had to do a full restoral.  I'v=
e tried to fake out the thing by putting a powered USB hub in line, but the=
re's apparently something the Netgear is looking for that the 3.0 HDD doesn=
't send to allow me to mount that drive wirelessly through the Netgear.

Is there a "smarter" hub that might make the Netgear happy with my portable=
 HD?  Or a USB 3.0 to Ethernet converter or someting?  I don't expect to fi=
nd a router with a USB 3.0 interface, considering that extra speed would be=
 wasted going through the wireless interface.

How can I get a drive to be a 2.0 to use it wirelessly via the Netgear, yet=
 3.0 when I wanted to use it wired directly to my Macbook?

Any ideas?

TIA!

Mark
comp.sys.mac.comm 3057 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

USB 2.0 vs USB 3.0
Recently; i found myself over at Best Buy and Found a Toshiba Hard Drive,= =20 1 Tb for $99 and i thought; 'That is too good to be true.' and also; Toshiba ??? Would they betray me ? So i bought it. And i did get it to work a little bit, which would suggest that the USB 3.0= cable that came with it, Would work with my MacBook and its USB 2.0 Vulvas= ,=20 but it didn't work very well. The Plug was 'Wiggly' And the Cable that came= with it was like 4 inches long, and it is Very Difficult to find an Extens= ion Cable for this sort of thing. i wanted to just dr...

Good, reliable 2 or 4 bay USB 3.0 disk dock; and USB 3.0 hub
Disk dock: 2 or 4 bays. USB 3.0. (RAID is not a requirement) Hub: 7 - 10 USB 3.0 with ext. power supply. -- "Quotation, n: The act of repeating erroneously the words of another." -Ambrose Bierce ...

USB 3.0 Hub treatment of USB 2.0 connections.
My old USB 2.0 hub (7 port with external power) had been getting increasingly flaky over time with various devices dropping out and re-connecting (printer, keyboard wireless receiver and so on) so I bought a new one. An Anker 7 port USB 3.0 with ext. p/s. I had no USB 3.0 peripherals when I first hooked it up. When looking at system profiler there were no USB 3.0 devices - not even the hub - showing. Fastest interface was shown as 480 Mb/s. Today I received a couple USB 3.0 docks and after initially hooking them straight to the Mac, I tried, as an experiment, passing the USB 3.0 through the hub. Did not connect. So I powered off the hub and disconnected it from the Mac, then reconnected it all. The disk appeared. And the Highspeed USB 3.0 appeared in profile (at 5 Gb/s). So once it's running with USB 2.0 devices only connected, the hub doesn't take to new 3.0 devices showing up. Once they're there, it's fine. Copy rate via the hub from the disk on the 3.0 was the same as a direct connection. (I've since put the USB 3.0 disk directly to the computer). I had assumed that USB 2.0 traffic would be "wrapped" in USB 3.0 and passed to the computer and unwrapped. But it appears it remains electrically and logically USB 2.0. (Then I found this: http://via-labs.com/en/images/products/vl812/vl812-blkdiagram.jpg implying that USB 2.0 and 3.0 follow different hardware paths (not clear if those ...

Something like FT245BM for USB 2.0 ? Parallel -> USB with real USB 2.0 bandwidth ?
Hello, is there a chip, in functionality like a FT245BM for USB 2.0 ? I found on websites mentioning the FT245BM compatible for USB 2.0, but i think they don't use USB 2.0, because transfer rate is "only" 1 MByte/s, which looks like high speed USB. Is there a faster parallel USB chip, which achieves more than 1 MByte / s ? I think with USB 2.0 there must be at least a factor of 10 to this speed ? Regards, Martin "Martin Maurer" <capiman@clibb.de> wrote in news:c26q04$kkf$04$1@news.t-online.com: > Hello, > > is there a chip, in functional...

USB 3.0 slow with some USB 3.0 hard disks
I'm using Windows XP 32-bit Home with NEC/Renesas USB 3.0 PCI-E cards equipped with the uPD702000A chip. I'm getting about 90 megabytes/sec sustained transfers with USB 3.0 enclosures based on a Genesis chip but only 35 MB/s with Seagate GoFlex drives. This is with both nVidia GeForce 6100 and Intel ICH5 motherboards. It doesn't matter whether I use the newest NEC driver or the one included with the Seagate GoFlex. I've had no luck updating the NEC firmware because at the start the updater software gives an error message: W200FWUP.EXE - Entry Point Not Fou...

if time = 3 seconds, how do i set the values of the time steps 0,0.1,0.2,0.3,0.5,1.0,1.5,2.0,3.0,5.0 to -9999 from time =3 seconds
Hi &nbsp; I have 18 inputs (arrays) which contain certain statistics and if time&nbsp;&nbsp;= 3 seconds, set the values of time step 5.0 to -9999.0. &nbsp; I was wondering if there is an efficient way to do this without using a lot of case statements? &nbsp; Thank you. Hello AdrianT, it's not really clear to me what you want to do... I suspect: you have an array containing values and you want to output them with a fixed timing of 3 seconds: you should use a for loop autoindexing trough your array and sending the value to your indicator/output/whatever. Put a "wait for next multiple" into your for loop. Or do you want to have a minimum time delay of 3 seconds? Again use a for loop, get the time value and use a InRange&amp;Coerce with minimum set to 3 seconds... Or you should explain more precisely what you need... Hi Thanks for that. Let me explain. &nbsp; The time may vary. Let me give an example. if time&nbsp; = 2.1, I want to set the time step's &nbsp;3.0 and 5.0's values to -9999.0. if the time =0.1 seconds then I want to set 0.2,0.3, 0.5 etc values to -9999.0 etc .................................................................... &nbsp; Can you please help? Thank you. Hello TUDS, do you use different accounts/nicknames ? Well, that's easy, at least for a sorted array: Search for your time-value in the array (Threshold 1D array). Fill all elements from that index till the end with your "error...

USB 2.0
Hi all: In order to connect to an external 2.5 harddisk with USB, I have tried three different USB 2.0 PCMCIA (Cardbus) cards (Belkin, Dynex and Zonet) on my Compaq Presario 2197 (AMD Athlon XP 2800). The cards can all be recognized, but only on the Zonet card the hard drive is recognized. Even so, the speed is very slow. Transfering a file of 1GB will take about 25-27 minutes. I have also tried an Acomdata external harddrive, which works great with an IBM laptop, and see the same thing. BTW, the time for transfering a 1GB file on the IBM is about 6-7 minutes. It is not as quick as ...

Mac os X 10.3.9 G4 USB 1.1 firmware upgrade --> USB 2.0
Hi i have a imac G4 and i was wondering if there is a firmware upgrade or something for USB 1.1 ports to be put so they can be USB 2.0? Would i be able to buy a firewire to USB 2.0 converter? if so where, i live in New Zealand, Hastings. and can i upgrade my GeForce4 MX graphics card VRAM up from 32MB? And last of all how much would it cost ruffly to buy a 512 SDRAM for my mac, (would i be able to put DDR ram in?) Heres my iMacs specs: Hardware: Hardware Overview: Machine Model: iMac CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (2.1) Number Of CPUs: 1 CPU Speed: 800 MHz L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB Memory: 512 MB Bus Speed: 100 MHz Boot ROM Version: 4.4.5f3 Serial Number: QT2405XJN0S Software: System Software Overview: System Version: Mac OS X 10.3.9 (7W98) Kernel Version: Darwin 7.9.0 Boot Volume: Mac OS X Computer Name: Adriel Kloppenburg's Computer User Name: Adriel Kloppenburg (adriel) Network: Internal Modem: Interface: modem Type: PPP (PPPSerial) Built-in Ethernet: Interface: en0 Type: Ethernet Ethernet Address: 00:03:93:96:51:f0 Memory: DIMM0/J22: Size: Empty Type: Empty Speed: Empty DIMM1/J20: Size: 512 MB Type: SDRAM Speed: PC133U-333 PCI/AGP Cards: GeForce4 MX: Type: display Bus: AGP VRAM (Total): 32 MB Vendor: nVIDIA (0x10de) Device ID: 0x0174 Revision ID: 0x00a5 ROM Revision: 1510 Display: Type: display Display Type: LCD VRAM (In Use): 32 MB Resolution: 1440 x 900 Depth: 32-...

[ANN] gettext-2.0.3, gettext_activerecord-2.0.3, gettext_rails-2.0.3
Hi, Ruby-GetText-Package-2.0.3 and the families (gettext-2.0.3, gettext_activerecord-2.0.3 and gettext_rails-2.0.3) are now available. Ruby-GetText-Package is the library/tools for message localization. * gettext - Message localization libraries and tools for all kind of apps/libs. * gettext_activerecord - ActiveRecord Localization * gettext_rails - Rails support with gettext. Changes ------- == gettext-2.0.3, gettext_activerecord-2.0.3, gettext_rails-2.0.3 * Fixed dependencies [Reported by Hans de Graaff] (NOTE) * Rails-2.3.1 and earlier aren't supported. Website ------- ...

USB 2.0 vs USB 1.0 on PB G4
This PB G4 is about 18 months old. The USB port was a 1.0 port. I'm running Panther. Can I buy a scanner with a 2.0 interface and use it on my USB 1.0 port? Will it just be slower? Thanks Bruce >Can I buy a scanner with a 2.0 interface and use it on my USB 1.0 port? Yes. >Will it just be slower? Yes. -- Art, literature, shareware, polyamory, kink, and more: http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html Bruce Jenkins <bruceNoSpamjenkins@comcast.net> wrote: > This PB G4 is about 18 months old. The USB port was a 1.0 port. > I'm running Panther. > Can I buy a s...

USB Portable 3.0/2.0 reliability
I need a 1TB or larger portable hard drive for use in 3 world foreign net cafes. The idea of NOT needing a separate power supply appeals to me, but I wonder if the portable USB drives are less reliable than using an internal drive with a usb adapter and separate power supply? Also you have heat problems with these portable drives that are less of a problem with a bare internal drive I am thinking. What factors govern this? How do the newer usb 3.0 portable drives compare to the earlier ones? Most of the reviews on these portable usb drives are pretty dismal-lots of complain...

USB 2.0 printers and USB 1.0/1.1 computers
I need a new printer, being fed up with the POS Epson 740 I have now. I was considering an HP LaserJet 1012, but noticed it has a USB 2.0 port only. I've got a Rev B iMac with USB 1.0 or maybe (but I doubt it) USB 1.1. I've searched the 'net to no avail as to whether 2.0 peripherals are backwards-compatible to older USB computers. Since you all are a well-informed bunch, I figured someone here would know. Thanks! > I've searched the 'net to no avail as to whether 2.0 >peripherals are backwards-compatible to older USB computers. Since >you all are a well-infor...

Will USB 2.0 Flash memory work on a USB 1.0 port?
Will USB 2.0 Flash memory work on a USB 1.0 port? I'm planning on upgrading my PowerMAC G4 to a Mac Pro in a month or so. I've got a lot (10+ Gb) of sensitive data files I'd like to backup on a small USB drive. TIA Bob phule92 <heoqadv02@sneakemail.com> wrote: > Will USB 2.0 Flash memory work on a USB 1.0 port? > > I'm planning on upgrading my PowerMAC G4 to a Mac Pro in a month or > so. I've got a lot (10+ Gb) of sensitive data files I'd like to backup > on a small USB drive. It should work, but will be slow. Assume USB's best possible...

USB Robotics not recognizing USB 3.0 2.5 hdd (enclosure)
For some strange reason my US Robotics USB 3.0 expresscard adapter is not recognizing my USB 2.5 HDD enclosure with the USB 3.0 adapter. Windows 7 recognizes my USB 3.5 hdd enclosure fine however. The hdd is being recognized by the USB 2.0 port however. ...

To 3.0.2 or not to 3.0.2?
I discovered some remaining cmp() in 3.0.1, 38 minutes after Benjamin fixed them. :) Unfortunately, that means porting setuptools to 3.0.1 will be a bit difficult. So my question is: Will there be a 3.0.2 with those fixes, or should I add workaround code for 3.0.1? -- Lennart Regebro: Pythonista, Barista, Notsotrista. http://regebro.wordpress.com/ +33 661 58 14 64 ...

akismet 0.1.2, cgiutils 0.3.5, pathutils 0.2.3
Hello All, A new release and two updates. New akismet.py 0.1.2 ================ Python Interface to the Akismet API Version 0.1.2 4th December 2005 http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/modules.shtml#akismet `Akismet <http://www.akismet.com>`_ is a web service for recognising spam comments. It promises to be almost 100% effective at catching comment spam. They say that currently 81% of all comments submitted to them are spam. It's designed to work with the `Wordpress Blog Tool <http://wordpress.org/>`_, but it's not restricted to that - so this is a Python interface to the `Akismet API <http://akismet.com/development/api/>`_. You'll need a `Wordpress Key <http://wordpress.com>`_ to use it. This script will allow you to plug akismet into any CGI script or web application, and there are full docs in the code. It's extremely easy to use, because the folks at akismet have implemented a nice and straightforward {acro;REST;REpresentational State Transfer} API. It also comes with an `example CGI <http://www.voidspace.org.uk/cgi-bin/akismet/test_akismet.py>`_. (Although the akismet feature of an "example positive" doesn't seem to be working currently - there fault not mine :-) You can read the full (Python) docs at : * `akismet.py Docs <http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/akismet_python.html>`_ Download it here : * http://www.voidspace.org.uk/cgi-bin/voidspace/downman.py...

Re: 9.3.0
> thanks for your time and help, mark. Does the nameserver have to be edns > aware to do successful zone transfers with bind 9.3.0? no. > Do I have to > list all non-ends master servers in my named.conf to be able to do > zone-transfer successfully. No. The server in question is broken. It is sending malformed answers. > Ladislav > > Mark Andrews wrote: > >>12-Oct-2004 10:12:07.323 zone emirsal.com/IN: refresh: failure trying > >>master 213.42.49.107#53 (source 0.0.0.0#0): unexpected end of input > >> > >> > >>I am slave for this zone but I am unable to do a zone transfer succesfully. > >> > >>dig axfr emirsal.com @213.42.49.107 is fine > >>dig soa emirsal.com @213.42.49.107 is fine > >> > >>and 9.2.3 bind can do the zone transfer sucesfully. > >> > >>could it be 9.3.0 only problem? > >> > >>could it be I am out of file descriptors/sockets for named? > >> > >>Ladislav > > > > > > When all else fails tcpdump is your friend. > > > > dig +dnssec soa emirsal.com @213.42.49.107 > > > > Note the header says there is a additional record but > > there isn't one in the reply. > > > > Disable edns to this server. > > > > 17:04:29.779770 192.168.191.236.1965 > 213.42.49.107...

#if 0?0?0:0:0
The following 4-lines source fragment test.c (fourth line empty) #if 0?0?0:0:0 #endif int main(void){return 0?0?0:0:0;} cause: test.c(1) : fatal error C1017: invalid integer constant expression when compiled by cl.exe aka "Microsoft (R) 32-bit C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 15.00.30729.01 for 80x86". On the other hand this compile and runs fine. #if 0?(0?0:0):0 #endif int main(void){return 0?0?0:0:0;} Did I hit a but it this compiler's preprocessor? Francois Grieu On 3/30/2010 12:47 PM, Francois Grieu wrote: > The following 4-lines source fr...

Mac OSX 10.3 and USB 3.0
I just ordered a BELKIN Hi-Speed USB 2.0 PCI Card to add 4+1 USB ports to this G4-450 AGP and wonder if any Mac devices really use the USB 2.0 vs. 1.0. I hope it will work as good as the current 2 port 1.0 generic USB card. I need more port and most devices are picky about having to live on hub. Anybody using USB 2.0 on a Mac? aRKay <REMOVEarkay@qsl.net> wrote: >I just ordered a BELKIN Hi-Speed USB 2.0 PCI Card to add >4+1 USB ports to this G4-450 AGP and wonder if any Mac devices really >use the USB 2.0 vs. 1.0. I hope it will work as good as the current 2 >port 1....

USB HDD 20GB USB 2.0
Please can anyone tell me if this is OK? I really need some feedback, as I've got major storage problems!!! Ta http://www.ok2bid.com/cgi-bin/auction.pl?item=471073511735 ...

iBook USB 1.0 or 2.0?
Hi, Are iBooks equiped with two USB 1.0 ports, or 2.0? thanks, AJ In article <3efa9ec0$0$8308$4d4ebb8e@read.news.nl.uu.net>, "AJ" <mail@nl.nl> wrote: > Are iBooks equiped with two USB 1.0 ports, or 2.0? Yes. According to the new USB 2.0 spec, all USB 1.0 ports are now USB 2.0 ports! -- Enough <enough@idontcare.com> In article <3efa9ec0$0$8308$4d4ebb8e@read.news.nl.uu.net>, AJ <mail@nl.nl> wrote: > Are iBooks equiped with two USB 1.0 ports, or 2.0? They are USB 1.1 ports. The only announced Mac with USB 2.0 (&...

USB 1.1 and USB 2.0
Dear all, Could I use a win32 function to get the USB port is suport USB 1.1 or USB 2.0? I want to write a program to access the USB devices and show them is in the USB 1.1 or USB 2.0. Could everyone help me to find the function call? Or where I can find any relative information? Thanks. ---Ted Hi, Well, removable ms-dos devices such as USBs can be accessed through the \\\\.\\PhysicalDrive#. Call the API QueryDosDevice(), and get a list of all existing MS-DOS device names. You can also use the function DefineDosDevice() to define the device name as well. That said, whe...

USB Drive does not work on USB 2.0
I have an external 3.5" hard drive in a USB 2.0 enclosure that I have been attaching to USB 1.1 ports on several different computers for over a year without any problems. I have just recently installed a USB 2.0 PCI card in my computer for faster download speeds. However, when I plug my external drive into one of the USB 2.0 ports the device seems to install just fine, but when I go to access the drive, it shows up as a different drive letter than it always has before and when I go to access the drive I get the error message: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable. ...

(= 0/0 0/0)
Hi, shouldn't > (= 0/0 0/0) => NIL or > (= 0/0 0/0) => T instead of giving out division by zero? 0/0 is different from 1/0, which is the non-existent number n such that 1 x n = 0. The actual result of that expression depends of what you think 0/0 is. I personally feel that 0/0 is any number n such that 0 x n = 0, that is all numbers. hal9@cyberspace.org (Hal Niner) writes: > Hi, > > shouldn't > > > (= 0/0 0/0) => NIL > > or > > > (= 0/0 0/0) => T > > instead of giving out division by zero? 0/0 is different fro...

Web resources about - Convert USB 3.0 to USB 2.0 Crazy? - comp.sys.mac.comm

List of converts to Buddhism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Coca-Cola made packaging that converts into a free Google Cardboard-style VR viewer [Video]
... if the above experiment turns into reality. The project envisions packaging for a 12-pack of Cokes and other products that is easily converted ...

Coca-Cola made packaging that converts into a free Google Cardboard-style VR viewer for iPhone
... if the above experiment turns into reality. The project envisions packaging for a 12-pack of Cokes and other products that is easily converted ...

The Galaxy S7 Edge may have just made me a Samsung convert
Historically, I've had a begrudging respect for Samsung flagships. I can objectively acknowledge the company makes very good, extremely popular ...

This modular robot tank converts into a tracked hoverboard
Filed under: Etc. , Videos , Autonomous , Military , Off-Road The unmanned vehicle is equal parts hoverboard and tank.