f



Mail won't check mail

Ihad a difficulty yesterday, and after I recovered, I found that Mail
won't check mail.

I send an email from my .mac account to my earthlink account and mail
will not retreive it. 

I checked my email using the web-email and found the mail there, and
some mail from others.

What could cause Mail to stop retreiving mail?

How can I fix it?

Thanks,

AndyD
0
andyda (95)
2/4/2005 12:36:15 AM
comp.sys.mac.comm 3057 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

2 Replies
565 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 50

In article <1grf1p0.1m0bixe1503zn4N%andyda@earthlink.net>, Andy
Dannelley <andyda@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Ihad a difficulty yesterday, and after I recovered, I found that Mail
> won't check mail.
> 
> I send an email from my .mac account to my earthlink account and mail
> will not retreive it. 
> 
> I checked my email using the web-email and found the mail there, and
> some mail from others.
> 
> What could cause Mail to stop retreiving mail?
> 
> How can I fix it?

Did you try repairing permissions?

Did you check your Account settings, including advanced, to make sure
that nothing was changed?

Cathy

-- 
"there's a dance or two in the old dame yet." - mehitabel

C.Stevenson, M.D.
cats1921@invalidsonic.net
0
cats1921 (342)
2/4/2005 6:21:34 PM
Cathy Stevenson <cats1921@invalidsonic.net> wrote:

> In article <1grf1p0.1m0bixe1503zn4N%andyda@earthlink.net>, Andy
> Dannelley <andyda@earthlink.net> wrote:
> 
> > Ihad a difficulty yesterday, and after I recovered, I found that Mail
> > won't check mail.
> > 
> > I send an email from my .mac account to my earthlink account and mail
> > will not retreive it. 
> > 
> > I checked my email using the web-email and found the mail there, and
> > some mail from others.
> > 
> > What could cause Mail to stop retreiving mail?
> > 
> > How can I fix it?
> 
> Did you try repairing permissions?
> 
> Did you check your Account settings, including advanced, to make sure
> that nothing was changed?
> 
> Cathy

Repaired permissions, couldn't see anyuthing wrong with the account
settings, so I deleted account and then put it back.Now it works again.

Thanks,

AndyD
0
andyda (95)
2/5/2005 5:47:30 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Mail merge doesn't mail and/or doesn't merge
Mail merge doesn't mail and/or doesn't merge With me at least it doesn't. We are getting too many false positives on our bcc-mailing lists, so I decided to give the mail merge feature in PM 4.41 a go. The goal was to simultaneously send messages addressed to multiple recipients. I made a csv file containing nine of my own addresses in a column called ~kemail~, made this the data file, checked the box for the first field to be the fieldname and sent the email with the string ~kemail~ in the address box. I also attached a pdf file. PM reported a successful transaction, b...

Mac Mail won't send
I recently switched from Eudora to the Mac Mail which came with OS X.5 Mac Mail worked well but all of a sudden it won't send. Any solutions? In the meantime I have gone back to Eudora. In article <flo9lo$if2$1@theodyn.ncf.ca>, aa994@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Gunther Abrahamson) wrote: > I recently switched from Eudora to the Mac Mail which came with OS X.5 > > Mac Mail worked well but all of a sudden it won't send. Any solutions? > > In the meantime I have gone back to Eudora. I can think of two problems I've run into which generate the same symptoms: (1) somehow, the default account for sending got switched or modified in someway, so that it is no longer valid; (2) Mail encountered an error when trying to send mail (perhaps a transient connectivity glitch) and so is still in "off-line" mode. Check for (1) by looking in the Mail Preferences, and confirming that all settings (including any port numbers and/or passwords) are correct. Check for (2) by looking for a little Alert symbol - this would appear beside the Inbox item in the mailbox pane on the left. If Mail got stuck sending, you will also see an Out box (I forget exactly how it is labelled). If you see the alert symbol, double-click on it... ...

Mac Mail won't send #2
Problem resolved on its own. But thanks for the info. I have saved it for future reference. ...

version 6.1 won't check mail
I upgraded computers and loaded the latest Eudora. Eudora retrieves my mail from the server when I start it up, but does not do so automatically or manually afterward. For example, pressing the check mail toolbar button does nothing. To check my mail again I have to quit Eudora, then restart it again. I have used Eudora flawlessly for years. How do I fix this problem? Duane Windows XP Home SP1, but not SP2. Eudora 6.1.2.0 IMAP On 19 Aug 2004 08:55:51 -0700, masteringmatlab@yahoo.com (Duane Hanselman) wrote: > I upgraded computers and loaded the latest Eudora. Eudora retrieves my > mail from the server when I start it up, but does not do so > automatically or manually afterward. For example, pressing the check > mail toolbar button does nothing. To check my mail again I have to > quit Eudora, then restart it again. > That sounds really annoying! What are your settings in Tools > Options > Checking Mail? > I have used Eudora flawlessly for years. > > How do I fix this problem? > I"m not an expert, but it sounds corrupted to me - so I wouldn't waste my time "fixing" it. Rename your faulty copy to Eudora.old and reinstall using a fresh download from Qualcomm. good luck :) :) sf <nobody@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<a2v9i0p9cdg1kllknee7jq8hkc6fagd3m8@4ax.com>... > On 19 Aug 2004 08:55:51 -0700, masteringmatlab@yahoo.com > (Duane Hans...

E6 won't stop loggin in to check mails
I have some problems with checking mails, I have just coverted my account settings from OutlookExpress and I get this error. XXX@XXXXXXX.XX logging into pop server, pass [date] There has been an error transferring your mail. I said: Pass <shhhh! Don't tell anyone.> and then the pop server (XXX@XXX.XX) err account is locked by another session or for manintenance, try again. But strangely enough, I still get the mails? Furthermore, I also get an endless login on another account, It won't stop trying to log in even though I get the mails? Hope I can get get it to work soon. Thanx for all help. Kanolsen ...

Mail Links In Web Apps won't open any mail apps? Help!!! Thanks
that is if I click on a link in Safari or Internet Explorer that contains an e-mail address it won't open a mail app. the dock kind of moves a bit and that's it. this is a total pain in the butt because these address's are imbedded and I can't see what the address is. I checked the useless discussions on the apple sight and they were uh...useless. I checked all preferences and that didn't fix it.Someone suggested that the default setting in the apple mail app would have a place to set it but that didn't work. Any suggestions? thanks for the help -- Barry ...

Mail for OS X on new hard drive won't import Mail on old hd
I recently installed an additional hard drive (running Tiger), but I kept my old one (running Panther), too, to use as a backup. After resolving a few snags, the data and apps transferred over OK, but two days ago I (very foolishly) tried to make a change in the name I use as Administrator (or at least that's what I meant to do), and all the apps on my new hard drive forgot their passwords, preferences, etc. What a pain! I can eventually fix everything, except I can't get Mail for OS X on the new hd to import data from the Mail on the old hd. In the new Mail, under the File...

Mail for OS X on new hard drive won't import Mail on old hd
I recently installed an additional hard drive (running Tiger), but I kept my old one (running Panther), too, to use as a backup. After resolving a few snags, the data and apps transferred over OK, but two days ago I (very foolishly) tried to make a change in the name I use as Administrator (or at least that's what I meant to do), and all the apps on my new hard drive forgot their passwords, preferences, etc. What a pain! I can eventually fix everything, except I can't get Mail for OS X on the new hd to import data from the Mail on the old hd. In the new Mail, under the File...

Willie won't, Willie won't, won't go!
Ah yes, some 70s nostalgia tunes. ...

Files won't display, directory won't delete, drive won't format
After having a few slow-access problems, I ran a virus scan (McAfee) on my D: drive (second HDD, 15Gb). To my surprise, the scan listed a directory and files which I didn't recognise: I didn't note any full pathnames, but a typical one was something like D:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21... Dd159.zip . I wondered if this was anything to do with the Recycle bin, despite the fact that I'd emptied it immediately before the scan. No viruses were detected, but when I ran an error check I got the message "the scan could not be completed". As a precaution I decided to ba...

can't send mail using mail()
hello, i am new to sending mail with php. the first function i tried is the mail(). when i passed the required parameters (to, message,subject), the apache error log said that the parameters are uninitialised. but the parameters already had value. do you know what is wrong? thank you fasisi wrote: > hello, > > i am new to sending mail with php. the first function i tried is the > mail(). when i passed the required parameters (to, message,subject), > the apache error log said that the parameters are uninitialised. but > the parameters already had value. > > do you ...

Mail Won't Download
I am using Eudora 6.1 for Windows on a Compaq Presario running Win 98 SE. I am using three different dial-up connections-- copper.net, aol.com, and stowetel.com (trying to find one that works). I am using several different email accounts (different personalities) with different domains. One is at the domain ejnet.org Five are at wetlands-preserve.org. One is at copper.net. For reasons I do not understand one of the wetlands accounts will not download mail via POP 3 (haven't even tried IMAP.). It gets all the way to the point of saying "141 messages left to download" and then just sits there until it times out. Once in the bluest of moons it will let a few messages through and then lock up again. Its not a matter of trying to download large attachments-- when I check the same mail through Outlook Express I have no problem and it is perfectly speedy. There is just something funny about Eudora and this mail account. I went to the accounts web interface to delete lots of mail in case the program was getting swamped by too much mail. That didn't help.Even when it does let some messages through it is wicked slow. Any suggestions? adam weissman "Adam Weissman" <adamwetlands@copper.net> wrote: >I am using Eudora 6.1 for Windows on a Compaq Presario running Win 98 SE. > >I am using three different dial-up connections-- copper.net, aol.com, and >stowetel.com (trying to find one that works)...

Why won't Mail send?
I try sending a message but it goes right into the Outbox...no progress bar in the Activity Monitor, no audible "swish", Connection Doctor shows green dots for all accounts in/out... I quit Mail and re-launch, open the message and click SEND and it goes right away. Happening every time now, with dot.Mac, Yahoo and other POP accounts. Makes me wanna switch to Entourage (ugh). I've deleted my com.mail preferences, rebuilt my mailboxes but still no luck. Anyone had this issue before? In article <170520082231493311%melvin@nospam.net>, melvin <melvin@nospam.net> wrote: > I try sending a message but it goes right into the Outbox...no progress > bar in the Activity Monitor, no audible "swish", Connection Doctor > shows green dots for all accounts in/out... > > I quit Mail and re-launch, open the message and click SEND and it goes > right away. Happening every time now, with dot.Mac, Yahoo and other POP > accounts. Makes me wanna switch to Entourage (ugh). > > I've deleted my com.mail preferences, rebuilt my mailboxes but still no > luck. Anyone had this issue before? This appears very similar to a problem I (and some other posters to this group) have been having with Mail. It is a fairly recent problem, so it may be a bug in a fairly new version. Quite often when I attempt to send a mail message I get a message (usually but not always immediately) that says something like "unable to send . . .&...

Mail Won't Open
Recently, my Mail program frequently won't open when I click on it. The only fix I've found is to restart the computer. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks, John Vialet In article <1108476775.993467.268550@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, "john" <johnvialet@mac.com> wrote: > Recently, my Mail program frequently won't open when I click on it. The > only fix I've found is to restart the computer. Any suggestions would > be much appreciated. Thanks, John Vialet Check the Console log to see if there are any error messages. -- Barry ...

mail won't quit
Power to my computer died and when I rebooted, mail.app won't quit. This means that I have to 'force quit' mail when I shut my machine and that's a pain. I'm running the latest update of Tiger, and all my other software runs fine. Is there some way to re-install only mail.app? Thanks. The problem was JunkMatcher and 10.4.7. Removing JM solved the problem. anti-spam wrote: > Power to my computer died and when I rebooted, mail.app won't quit. This > means that I have to 'force quit' mail when I shut my machine and that's > a pain. > &g...

Mail doesn't import Mail messages from another machine
Hi, My friend just got a new G5 (I'm jealous) and would like to import all the mail messages on his old G4 (he has moved them all to an external hard drive for safe keeping). We tried the Tiger Mail>Import scheme and imported from the external hard drive. The Import routine imported all his Mail folders but they're all empty. Is there a way to get this to work correctly? Any help appreciated. r. In article <rb28-E04B37.13013529092005@corp.supernews.com>, "RobertB." <rb28@nyu.edu> wrote: > Hi, > > My friend just got a new G5 (I'm jeal...

mail() function doesn't seem to be sending MAIL FROM: properly
I'm trying to send an email using the mail() function. I've carefully made use of the ini_set(SMTP, "mail.my.server") function to set my SMTP server and also to set my From: address. I'm still getting a "Relaying not explicitly allowed: fakeemail@fakedomain.com" response from the server however, when I try and set a recipient who is outside of my own domain. This makes my think that the From: address is somehow not getting sent to my server properly or that I'm pointing at the wrong server. The confounding thing is that it was working for a while and I don&...

check mail doesn't work
I am a longtime Eudora user. Yesterday I updated to version 6.1, but now nothing happens when I click check mail. No time line appears. It doesn't time out. Later if I close the program it says a task is running, do I still want to exit. I've tried to re-run the intallation program and even uninstalled and re-onstalled. Any suggestions? sulasula wrote: > > I am a longtime Eudora user. Yesterday I updated to version 6.1, but > now nothing happens when I click check mail. No time line appears. It > doesn't time out. Later if I close the program it says a task is > running, do I still want to exit. I've tried to re-run the intallation > program and even uninstalled and re-onstalled. Any suggestions? How long did you wait? I check quite a few different accounts, and it takes some time (5-6 seconds?) to see any kind of Task Status. Larry Lawrence Glasser <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote in message news:<40735059.58A65A68@spamcop.net>... > sulasula wrote: > > > > I am a longtime Eudora user. Yesterday I updated to version 6.1, but > > now nothing happens when I click check mail. No time line appears. It > > doesn't time out. Later if I close the program it says a task is > > running, do I still want to exit. I've tried to re-run the intallation > > program and even uninstalled and re-onstalled. Any suggestions? > > How long did you wait? I check quite a...

pegasus mail won't close
The past few days I have been encountering a problem when I try to close PM. It hangs. I have to use task manager to close it after getting the message about the program not responding. I ran ad-aware right before this started and took off a bunch of adware files. I've never had a problem with PM before and I've been using it for years. I ran a system restore and that didn't help. I wonder if I deleted some file needed to close it. Any help would be appreciated! Lesa wrote: > The past few days I have been encountering a problem when I try > to close PM. It hangs. I have to use task manager to close it > after getting the message about the program not responding. I > ran ad-aware right before this started and took off a bunch of > adware files. I've never had a problem with PM before and I've > been using it for years. I ran a system restore and that didn't > help. I wonder if I deleted some file needed to close it. Any > help would be appreciated! Do you have any filters that take effect on closing Pegasus? Try deactivating them, and see if that helps. If it does, perhaps you can figure out which rule was causing problems. Another thing to try is this: Before you start Pegasus the next time, use Windows Explorer to look in your Pegasus Mail directory for files with a .CNM extension. Those are your new mail messages. Move them temporarily to another directory. Start Pegasus. If you can ...

IMac Mail Won't quit
I've had this problem now a couple of times, the last time I thought i had it fixed by deleting the Gmail accounts I have. I have 2 regular POP accounts and for some reason now when i close down mail, it won't quit. 3 sec later it pops right back up in my open systems. Force quit isn't helping either. Any ideas? I'm running current versions of everything. thanks Mark In article <2010081707063931916-saceasyriders@gmailcom>, Mark <sac-easy-riders@gmail.com> wrote: > I've had this problem now a couple of times, the last time I thoug...

Why won't exim4 mail work?
(Note: tried posting in deb.user but so far no one knows. Same with the mepis web boards. This is my last resort!! Anyone have a clue?) Running Mepis 3.3. For some unknown reason when I installed MySQL, apt-get also had to install exim4. (Anyone know why?) I don't need it, but since it's there I can't figure out why it does not work: al@1[~]$ mail al Subject: test1 this is a test Cc: al@1[~]$ mail No mail for al al@1[~]$ What do you think this means (from /var/log/exim4/mainlog)? 2005-05-02 19:31:05 1DSnBh-00029p-O8 <= al@mepis1 U=al P=local S=270 2005-05-02 19:31:05 1D...

sendmail won't send mail again
Hello! I want to use a perl CGI script behind apache to serve info inqueries and did something like the following: open(MAIL,"| $mailprog -t"); print MAIL "To: $to\n"; print MAIL "From: $webmaster_email\n"; print MAIL "X-Mailer: DaySpot Powered.\n"; print MAIL "Subject: $subject\n\n"; print MAIL "$message"; print MAIL "\n.\n"; close MAIL; Where From field is some yahoo email account. The apache runs as apache:apache. Now I find it couldn't send out ...

Junk mail box doesn't open automatically, I miss mails because of this
When I get a junk message, Eudora puts it in the junk mail box, but doesn't open the mail box. With other filters, it does open the box automatically. This way I know a mail came in. I would also like Eudora to open my Junk mail box, so I know a mail got in there. Anybody have some advice? Eudora 7 paid mode chieleman On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 14:13:21 +0100, chieleman <vlaflip31-nieuwsgroepREMOVETHIS@REMOVETHISyahoo.com> wrote: >When I get a junk message, Eudora puts it in the junk mail box, but >doesn't open the mail box. With other filters, it does open t...

Can't send mail using Mail.app, but can with Thunderbird
Hello, I am having one heck of a time, and it's killing me. I am new to the world of OS X but am adapting well, with one exception - Mail. Here's the deal. Using Thunderbird, I can send mail out with password authentication. I can send it via port 25 normally or via port 465 via SSL. I can also telnet to port 25 and see the standard email connection, and I can even fake it out using the proper sequence of commands. I can telnet to port 465, although since that's SSL I can't easily fake key negotiation or anything like that - but, it does establish a connection. However, Mai...

Web resources about - Mail won't check mail - comp.sys.mac.comm

Resources last updated: 3/23/2016 9:04:59 AM