Mail.app can't get Comcast mail; Entourage can

I was trying to set up Mail.app to get my son's email from his Comcast
POP3 account. As far as I could tell all the settings were correct, and
Mail.app correctly saw that there were 9 messages in his inbox, however
in the activity window, the progress bar seemed to indicate that the
mail download had started, but it seemed to time out without downloading
anything.

In contrast, on the same computer, Entourage accessed his mail just fine.

Can anyone explain this behavior? This is in MacOS X 10.2.8.

Thanks,

Dan

--
Daniel E. Sabath
University of Washington Department of Laboratory Medicine

In article <dsabath-53F2E6.10271920102003@nntp4.u.washington.edu>,
Daniel E. Sabath <dsabath@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> I was trying to set up Mail.app to get my son's email from his Comcast
> POP3 account. As far as I could tell all the settings were correct, and
> Mail.app correctly saw that there were 9 messages in his inbox, however
> in the activity window, the progress bar seemed to indicate that the
> mail download had started, but it seemed to time out without downloading
> anything.

It works for me. Sorry.
0
wilcox (7)
10/21/2003 4:14:11 AM
Daniel E. Sabath <dsabath@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> I was trying to set up Mail.app to get my son's email from his Comcast
> POP3 account. As far as I could tell all the settings were correct, and
> Mail.app correctly saw that there were 9 messages in his inbox, however
> in the activity window, the progress bar seemed to indicate that the
> mail download had started, but it seemed to time out without downloading
> anything.
>
> In contrast, on the same computer, Entourage accessed his mail just fine.

I've seen this problem occur intermittently with many of my clients who
use Mail with Comcast.  It never occurs with any other ISP that I've
dealt with around here (and, in fact, I can check my BellSouth account
without problem on these clients' Macs via Mail), nor does it occur with
other mail clients.  Then, at some point, Mail will just start working
again for them.

Comcast, of course, blames the Macs.  It's odd, though, that the problem
appears to be exclusive to Comcast customers.

--
Mike Rosenberg

mike2 (2269)

Can't send mail using Mail.app, but can with Thunderbird
Hello, I am having one heck of a time, and it's killing me. I am new to the world of OS X but am adapting well, with one exception - Mail. Here's the deal. Using Thunderbird, I can send mail out with password authentication. I can send it via port 25 normally or via port 465 via SSL. I can also telnet to port 25 and see the standard email connection, and I can even fake it out using the proper sequence of commands. I can telnet to port 465, although since that's SSL I can't easily fake key negotiation or anything like that - but, it does establish a connection. However, Mai...

Can't get photo signature to work in Mail.app
I'm following the directions as near as I can tell. Photo signature is checked. I upload a 64x64 pixel image, click on save, then send myself an email, and nothing shows up. Any clues? -- Philip Stripling | email to the replyto address is presumed Legal Assistance on the Web | spam and read later. email to philip@ http://www.PhilipStripling.com/ | my domain is read daily. In article <3qk6xjl341.fsf@shell4.tdl.com>, Phil Stripling <phil_stripling@cieux.zzn.com> wrote: > I'm following the directions as near as I can tell. Photo signature is > chec...

can't send mail using mail()
hello, i am new to sending mail with php. the first function i tried is the mail(). when i passed the required parameters (to, message,subject), the apache error log said that the parameters are uninitialised. but the parameters already had value. do you know what is wrong? thank you fasisi wrote: > hello, > > i am new to sending mail with php. the first function i tried is the > mail(). when i passed the required parameters (to, message,subject), > the apache error log said that the parameters are uninitialised. but > the parameters already had value. > > do you ...

Can't get mail
Hello All, I am new with sendmail package. I've installed and configured sendmail. I am able to sendmail to yahoo from my server, but I CAN'T RECEIVE mail from yahoo. Do you have any idea? Here is my sendmail.mc file divert(0)dnl VERSIONID(`$Id: generic-linux.mc,v 8.1 1999/09/24 22:48:05 gshapiro Exp $') OSTYPE(linux)dnl DOMAIN(generic)dnl define(ALIAS_FILE, '/etc/mail/aliases')dnl dnl load class $=w with other names for the local host FEATURE(use_cw_file)dnl FEATURE(smrsh, '/usr/sbin/smrsh')dnl MAILER(local)dnl MAILER(smtp)dnl MAILER(procmail)dnl Thanks, Beta ...

Can't open mail.app
I can't open mail.app -- I get a dialog box that says that my 'home folder' is full. What's up? G4/400 -- Sys X 10.4.3 -- 1GB RAM -- 2x40 GB HD internal -- 80GB HD external (firewire). I have been using the external HD as a start-up partition. Any ideas? earle * Earle Jones wrote: > I can't open mail.app -- I get a dialog box that says that my 'home > folder' is full. > > What's up? > > G4/400 -- Sys X 10.4.3 -- 1GB RAM -- 2x40 GB HD internal -- 80GB HD > external (firewire). > > > I have been...

Can't send e-mail but I can d/l it
I use Peg v. 4.12a (Win32), 6/19/03 and suddenly I can't send e-mail. I haven't changed any settings and have dbl ck'd the ones for SMTP and everything seems to jive w/ what my ISP (sonic.net) says they should be. The error msg is titled "TCP/IP timeout!" and it says: "Pegasus Mail has timed out while waiting for a response from the remote host. Socket timeouts like this can be caused by network congestion, slow responses from the remote host or by network problems which cause loss of data." I went and changed the default timeout for network conne...

Eudora 7. I can send mail but can't receive it!
I recently reinstalled my OS (win 98SE) and downloaded and installed Eudora 7 (sponsored). During the installation I don't remember being asked for a password for email at Eudora, and I suspect that is the problem. The reinstallation of the OS wiped the drive clean. I originated a letter in Eudora, and when I clicked SEND, a pop-up asked for my password at cox.net. I entered the password and the mail was sent okay, But when I click " check mail" I don't get a request for a password, and the machine just sits there without downloading my mail. What am I doing...

A sas program can't e-mail its own log, can it?
Hey All, When I run the below code, my attempt at having sas e-mail me the log file gives me this: ERROR: Error opening attachment file \\home\pardre1\deleteme.log. ERROR: File is in use, \\home\pardre1\deleteme.log. There's no trick for avoiding this, is there? Thanks! -Roy Here's the code--the program is \\home\pardre1\deleteme.sas data gnu ; do i = 1 to 1000 ; r = uniform(1234) ; output ; end ; run ; proc univariate data = gnu ; var r ; run ; filename out email "pardee.r@ghc.org"; data _null_; file out to=("pardee.r@ghc.org&...

Virtualhosting problems, can't send mail,but can recieve
Got a wierd one here.... I setup a machine with several virtual domains on it, as per the virtual hosting instructions on sendmail.org. Everything on the recieving end seems to be working fine, but the sending end isn't working at all. ie: I can send mail, and it moves out of the mail queue but the recipient never gets it. Here's what I've done so far (I'm trying to run 4 virtual domains on the machine, I've included the entries for 1 as an example. : sendmail.mc divert(0)dnl VERSIONID(`@(#)main.mc 1.5 (Sun) 08/10/00') OSTYPE(`solaris8')dnl DOMAIN(`solaris-ge...

Re: A sas program can't e-mail its own log, can it?
On Fri, 18 Nov 2005, Pardee, Roy wrote: > When I run the below code, my attempt at having sas e-mail me the log > file gives me this: > > ERROR: Error opening attachment file \\home\pardre1\deleteme.log. > ERROR: File is in use, \\home\pardre1\deleteme.log. > > There's no trick for avoiding this, is there? > > Thanks! > > -Roy > > Here's the code--the program is \\home\pardre1\deleteme.sas > > data gnu ; > do i = 1 to 1000 ; > r = uniform(1234) ; > output ; > end ; > run ; > > proc univariate data = gnu ; > var r ; > run ; > > filename out email "pardee.r@ghc.org"; > data _null_; > file out > to=("pardee.r@ghc.org") > subject="SAS File" > attach = ("\\home\pardre1\deleteme.log") > ; > run ; proc printto ; Kevin Viel Department of Epidemiology Rollins School of Public Health Emory University Atlanta, GA 30322 ...

Can't see all of the queries when merging to MS Word and can't get to reports
I'm working with a database developed by an untrained person over several years - and on a network that has recently been upgraded with a new server installed and MS office upgraded from 2K (I think - it might have been XP) to 2003. The database is impressive, both in what it does and the obtuse and inconsistent ways it works. There are several hundred queries, for example, with no indication of where they are used or if they are in fact necessary at all... The database is for the local Hospice service, and their entire operation is based on it - from patient records to donations. The database was developed in Access 2K and has not been converted, so it's being opened as an Access 2000 database in Access 2003. I tried converting to 2003, and didn't see any change in the bothersome behavior. There are several letters in MS Word that use the database as the source data for mail merges. Until the conversion, everything worked fine, but with the conversion, it became necessary to specify new locations for the source data for the merges. In MS Word 2003, when I try to open a new datasource, I can specify the MS Access database, but the format of the dialog box is significantly different than I am used to. I am presented with a list of "Views" and tables, with the Views apparently corresponding to the queries in the database. The difficulty is that, unlike in Access 2K, I don't seem to be seeing any query that contain parameters - at least I thin...

config.sys corrupted; can't fix; can't start windows 2000
The computer attempts to open windows 2000 pro and gets hung up with the message that winn config.sus is corrupted. I tried booting from the win 2000 cd-rom and then creating floppy boot disks. The computer won't recognize or run off of these. Rename the Config.sys file in the root directly to ConfigOLD.sys. See if the machine will boot without it for now. Any release of NT should be able to. If you work out for sure that the Config.sys file is faulty, you can go in with your text editor, and troubleshoot it. You will need the base knowledge to work in this file. Jerry G. ======== labogart@juno.com (labogart) wrote in message news:<b8b70ec1.0408220100.5875b5c4@posting.google.com>... > The computer attempts to open windows 2000 pro and gets hung up with > the message that winn config.sus is corrupted. I tried booting from > the win 2000 cd-rom and then creating floppy boot disks. The computer > won't recognize or run off of these. ...

Can't access incoming mail on Comcast
Are any Comcast customers in the eastern MA area having trouble accessing incoming email. I am using OLE 6 and when I try to access my email I get the following error message: Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'mail.comcast.net', Server: 'mail.comcast.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '+OK', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F Connection to the news server and web work fine. have you set up an email accoun...

Branch can't get to internet, can't ping anything but ethernet at main site.
Ok, What am i missing? I've got a new MPLS connection up and running. I can ping the branch site from my main site just fine. I can not ping ANYTHING past the main site ethernet port via the branch router. Can someone please help me out!!! Heres so configs Main: interface FastEthernet0/0 description $ETH-SW-LAUNCH$$INTF-INFO-FE 0/0$$ETH-LAN$ ip address 192.168.1.251 255.255.255.0 duplex auto speed auto ! interface Serial0/0/0 ip address 63.239.127.226 255.255.255.252 ip access-group 189 in service-module t1 timeslots 1-12 ! router rip version 2 passive-interface FastEthernet0/0 passive-interface Serial0/0/0 network 63.0.0.0 network 192.168.1.0 neighbor 192.168.2.0 no auto-summary ! ip classless ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.250 ip route 192.168.2.0 255.255.255.0 63.239.127.225 ! Branch router: ! interface Serial0 ip address 72.165.109.6 255.255.255.252 ip helper-address 192.168.1.205 no ip directed-broadcast fair-queue 64 256 0 service-module t1 timeslots 1-6 no cdp enable ! interface FastEthernet0 description connected to LAN ip address 192.168.2.254 255.255.255.0 no ip directed-broadcast full-duplex no cdp enable ! router rip version 2 network 192.168.2.0 neighbor 192.168.1.0 ! ip classless ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Serial0 no ip http server ! no cdp run td ha escrito: > Ok, > What am i missing? > I've got a new MPLS connection up and running. > I can ping the branch site from my main site just fine. > I can no...

Thanks! (was Re: A sas program can't e-mail its own log, can it?)
Thanks to everyone who responded--I will indeed look into proc printto. Thanks! -Roy -----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Peter Crawford Sent: Friday, November 18, 2005 11:02 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: A sas program can't e-mail its own log, can it? On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 10:46:54 -0800, Pardee, Roy <pardee.r@GHC.ORG> wrote: >Hey All, > >When I run the below code, my attempt at having sas e-mail me the log >file gives me this: > > ERROR: Error opening attachment file \\home\pardre1\delet...

Re: A sas program can't e-mail its own log, can it? #6
Thanks so much for the helpful response. So should I be using FORWARD stepwise selection to choose from the probability space of possible log files to e-mail, or BACKWARDS stepwise selection? I can never remember which one is statistically valid... ;-D -----Original Message----- From: Sigurd Hermansen [mailto:HERMANS1@WESTAT.com] Sent: Friday, November 18, 2005 4:03 PM To: Pardee, Roy; SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: RE: A sas program can't e-mail its own log, can it? You have a nested sample of a population of possible logs from different samples of data. You should, of course, use PROC SURVEYSELECT to copy it and forward it via e-mail; otherwise, ERROR message variance estimates may be biased (A REALLY BAD THING). PROC SURVEYSELECT generates replicates. That makes it ideal for copying a sample of, say, a log. For example, data test; x=y; run; proc printto log=log; run; quit; filename l "c:\TEMP\test.log"; filename out email "pardee.r@ghc.org"; data l; infile l; input log $char1. @@; run; proc surveyselect data=l out=email samprate=100 rep=1; run ; data _null_; set email; file out to=("pardee.r@ghc.org") subject="SAS File" attach = ("c:\TEMP\test.log") ; run ; In conclusion, one cannot use PROC SURVEYSELECT too often. After seeing what one line of PROC SURVEYSELECT can do, imagine what three lines of PROC SURVEYSELECT can do! Don't try that at home! It takes a bit more effort ...

Can't get mail with OE (new problem)
Suddenly, for the past two days, I cannot get my mail with Outlook Express. The mail is THERE; I've checked it on the web based email. I can SEND email (I tested this with the web, also). My isp is NO help at all (in fact, I'm planning to switch). They offered to try to fix it if I'd bring in my machine until they found out it was an iMac. Any ideas would help. I've tried trashing the preferences. Thank you. Deborah OE 5.0.5 iMac Sys. 9.0 Connection 28800 dial up ...

Can't send email via Mail.app
i get the following message when trying to send an email via mail.app The server response was: 5.1.2 Bad or missing RCPT domain c1sm5916038ugf Use the pop-up menu below to try a different outgoing mail server. All messages will use this server until you quit Mail or change your network settings. I've checked the outgoing mail sever and all the settings are as they should be, or as gmail says they should be btw im using gmail vix <shahvikram123@gmail.com> wrote: > i get the following message when trying to send an email via mail.app > > The server response was: 5.1.2 ...

Can't get there from here, or can I?
I have managed to shrink / resize about 30 jpegs that were, did I say I did not save the pics first on a disk?, 3008 w X 2000 h to 150 h x 100w. I thot I was making a page of thumbnails for my website. Now that everything is 150 x 100, is there any way that I can enlarge / restore them? I suspect that I have lost all, but still have hope that the learning process won't be quite so devaatating. "Richard W. Pettengill" <rpettengill@comcast.net> wrote in message news:qp4td.200146$HA.83717@attbi_s01... >I have managed to shrink / resize about 30 jpegs that were...

can't get all mail from gmail using fetchmail and getmail
Now I can get all mail from other mail servers using fetchmail and getmail, like 163.com. However it doesn't work from gmail. I can only get mail in inbox from gmail, can't get mail in other box. So how can I get all mail from gmail using fechmail or getmail. ...

Urgent Mail.app Help Needed: Can't Receive
I need help on behalf of an elderly couple that I know in California. Even though I'm in Maryland, I'm able to solve most of their Mac issues via e-mail and/or phone. This one has me stumped, however, perhaps because I use Entourage and I don't have a lot of experience with mail.app. There is nothing wrong with their Internet service. An older iMac running Eudora under OS 9 can send and receive mail. This is a recent iMac running 10.2.6 with 512MB of RAM. They tell me that they are getting the message "working offline" in the status bar, but the first item under the "Mailbox" menu reads "Go Offline," indicating that they are on-line. I thank you, and my friends will thank you! Davoud -- usenet *at* davidillig dawt com In <080820032003528643%star@sky.net> Davoud <star@sky.net> wrote: > This is a recent iMac running 10.2.6 with 512MB of RAM. They tell me > that they are getting the message "working offline" in the status bar, > but the first item under the "Mailbox" menu reads "Go Offline," > indicating that they are on-line. Do they have more than one email account set up in Mail? J. In article <slrnbj8p7c.81l.jsm158+hacksaw@hacksaw.cac.psu.edu>, Jennifer Mullen <jsm158+hacksaw@hacksaw.cac.psu.edu> wrote: > In <080820032003528643%star@sky.net> > Davoud <star@sky.net> wrote: > > This is a recent iMac running 10.2.6 with 512M...

Mail.app "can't connect to spell check"
My parents have a 17" iMac, running OS10.2.4 that has developed a problem with one of the user's mail accounts. When composing mail after opening the app, "can't connect to spell check" appears after each word is typed. Then the user, who is not the administrator, must navigate to Edit/Spelling and uncheck "check spelling as you type" in order to continue without the error message. This occurs every time the mail app is opened. Apple's support area has nothing on this. Can anyone help? ...

Can't get patches via smpatch, update manager, web, or wget; can't re-register with sconadm or update manager
I have a Sun software support contract. Since the new My Oracle thing went alive, I've been unable to update via smpatch or the update manager--voluminous Java error messages in / var/adm/messages include: Jan 23 16:33:41 osprey root: [ID 702911 user.error] => com.sun.patchpro.util.CachingDownloader@16c79d7 <=Downloader.getResponseCode() : IOExceptionNo route to host Other messages seem to suggest failure to use a proxy server (I have no proxy server here), although my network is behind a Solaris 10 'ipfilter' firewall that nat's the internal hosts. I&#...

Can't get procmail to deliver messages to /var/spool/mail/user
I have just installed gentoo + sendmail + procmail + uw-imapd. My imap server/client package won't read messages in mbox format. If I install procmail in my sendmail.mc, messages always get sent to $HOME/.maildir and are inaccessible. If I delete this directory it immediately forms again when a message comes along. Below is my sendmail.mc file. Can anybody help? divert(-1) divert(0)dnl include(`/usr/share/sendmail-cf/m4/cf.m4')dnl VERSIONID(`$Id: sendmail.mc,v 1.2 2002/07/04 04:55:29 g2boojum Exp $')dnl define(`confSMTP_LOGIN_MSG', `$j server ready at $b')dnl define(`...

Web resources about - Mail.app can't get Comcast mail; Entourage can - comp.sys.mac.comm