mail.app does not fetch mail

Hi:

For the last four days mail.app has refused to fetch any mail from my
pop account.  As far as I know, I have made no changes to my system or
the mail app.  I know I have new mail because I can access my mail via
pine on the shell account at the isp.

Mail tries, it logs on, checks password successfully, then spends a
little too long on "checking for messages" and finds none.

I've not tried any other methods of checking my email as none of the
mailers I have around seem to support ssl.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Eric
comp.sys.mac.comm 3057 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

In article <250120041742285724%UNericfiveSPAM@online.ie>, Eric Rainey
<UNericfiveSPAM@online.ie> wrote:

> Hi:
> For the last four days mail.app has refused to fetch any mail from my
> pop account.  As far as I know, I have made no changes to my system or
> the mail app.  I know I have new mail because I can access my mail via
> pine on the shell account at the isp.
> Mail tries, it logs on, checks password successfully, then spends a
> little too long on "checking for messages" and finds none.
> I've not tried any other methods of checking my email as none of the
> mailers I have around seem to support ssl.
> Any help greatly appreciated!
> Eric

Same thing's been happening with my version of Mail.app, v. 1.2.5.
Problems started a few days ago when checking my DotMac account. The
mailbox soon went dim. Under the Mailbox Menu, I noticed the DotMac
account was Offline. Restoring it to Online status. That worked for a
day or two. (OSX 10.2.6)

Very soon, my other POP account under Mail went bad, neither sending or
receiving messages. I composed a couple of emails that have been trying
to go out for a day or two. I get annoying pop-up windows from Mail
either asking for my POP account password or suggesting I try another
SMTP server. Just now, oddly enough, I clicked OK to try to send them
out on my cable server's address and "they're gone".

I fired up an older version of Eudora (v. 4.3) ad it works fine, on
both accounts.

This inability to send or receive mail and the worthless popup windows
are exactly the problems I had with the earlier version of Mail.app
(that came with the iBook) that make it totally worthless. When I
upgraded to Jaguar, the new Mail.app, v. 1.2.5 solved those
problems..., for about a year. Now, the problems are back. (Actually, I
lost some mailboxes with the earlier verison of Mail.)

Keychain has been mentioned as a suspect.

  -te-
0
visator99 (2)
1/26/2004 1:21:35 AM

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 01:21:35 GMT, zippy <visator99@yahoo.com> wrote:
<snip>
> I get annoying pop-up windows from Mail
> either asking for my POP account password or suggesting I try another
> SMTP server. Just now, oddly enough, I clicked OK to try to send them
> out on my cable server's address and "they're gone".

Me too.  Basically the pop mail server rejects your log-in for some reas=
on =

- either you're already logged into and checking msgs (ICQ's mail =

check/Another computer etc) - Mail doesn't treat this as it should - and=
 =

try again - instead it assumes your password is incorrect - and annoying=
ly =

prompts you the re-enter it.  If you hit cancel it takes that account =

offline :(

Sometimes when sending mail Panther behaves badly too.. if you're =

d/loading something or listening to streaming audio or something else =

Panther seems to lets it hog all your bandwidth - and "loses" the DNS =

lookup needed to find your Mail server...

Either way - there's still a few issues I have with Mail.. and they've =

been arround for a while.

-- =

Mangee (at mangee dot net dot nz)
Did you miss it?
See the playback at http://webcam.mangee.net.nz/overview.html
0
mangee (1)

Mac mail.app to iPod touch mail transfer
Running a MacBook with 10.6.5 and a 3rd gen iPod touch with 4.2.1. Without getting into long explanations, I cannot have wifi in my house, and it would be most convenient to write my emails on my Mac, transfer them to my iPod, and send them out from a public hot spot in town. I have been doing this by writing the mails in mail.app>notes, syncing the ipod, then copy and pasting from ipod notes to ipod mail. I have airsharing and goodreader and probably could use them also. But is there a more convenient way like an app at the iTunes store that would directly transfer from mail/Ma...

Mail .Mac cannot send mail via smtp mac
I reinitialized my .Mac mail box.. pop and smtp server were found without any problem I can receive my mail, but I cannot send mail via the .Mac smtp server, what could be wrong ? thanks joss In article <470de294$0$27376$ba4acef3@news.orange.fr>, Josselin <josselin@wanadoo.fr> wrote: > I reinitialized my .Mac mail box.. pop and smtp server were found > without any problem > > I can receive my mail, but I cannot send mail via the .Mac smtp server, > what could be wrong ? > > thanks > > joss Without more detail, it's only a guess...but perhaps your provider is blocking port 25. It's probably a good idea to switch to the "submission port" instead. I don't use Apple's Mail program for my .Mac account and don't know just now where to go there for setting this, but it's an automatic option I use with Eudora. You should also turn on the encryption settings for better security. = Steve = -- Steve W. Jackson Montgomery, Alabama On 2007-10-11 18:07:53 +0200, "Steve W. Jackson" <stevewjackson@knology.net> said: > In article <470de294$0$27376$ba4acef3@news.orange.fr>, > Josselin <josselin@wanadoo.fr> wrote: > >> I reinitialized my .Mac mail box.. pop and smtp server were found >> without any problem >> >> I can receive my mail, but I cannot send mail via the .Mac smtp server, >> what could be wrong ? >> >...

Mail.app Mailing List?
Does the OS X mail.app have a mailing list about and if so, where can I find it?? -- Bob Batson rcb@kc.rr.com "Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines" Bob Batson wrote: > Does the OS X mail.app have a mailing list about and if so, where can I > find it?? > Not sure if it's what your asking, but the Address Book application allows you to create mailing lists, and there's lots of information in the Address Book Help file. Once you've created the list, you can select it and use it in the Mail application. In article <rcYye...

Vacation mail with mail.app
Here is a script I wrote for vacation notices; it will send the notice only once to each person you receive mail from. I suggest running it after any rules to file mailing list items into folders, so that it doesn't send vacation mail notices to the lists. The actual notice is sent by the rule; the script is what keeps the rule from sending more than one notice to any given address. First set up an address-book group named "Vacation" Then set up a rule with the criterion "If sender is not a member of group Vacation" Set up the actions Reply to Message Run Applescript (choose the following script to be run) Note 1: I have not fully tested this script, but I believe that it will work properly. Note 2: The script assumes that if the sender's name has three words, they are first, middle, and last; that there is no prefix (such as "Dr.") or suffix (such as "Jr."). It also assumes that if the sender's name has more than three words, the first and second words are the first and middle names, and the last word is the last name. tell application "Mail" perform mail action with messages messages_to_process for rule "vacation" repeat with message_to_process in messages_to_process set the_sender to the sender of the message_to_process my add_to_list(my parse_the_sender(the_sender)) end repeat end tell to add_to_list({FN, MN, LN, email_sender}) tell application "Add...

Mail.app
I lost some mail today. I had dragged a couple of folders to a new location. When I looked in the folders, it appeared the mail was there but everything was empty. I tried rebuilding the folders and the headers disappeared as well. At that point I was pretty desperate. Most of the mail was from today and would not be on my backup. I restarted the computer and rebuilt the folders again. Low-and-behold, most of the mail came back but not all of it and I am still missing a couple of items I can not afford to lose. So, what did I do, so I can avoid doing it again? How can ...

Archiving mail from mail.app
I need to save just every mail I receive and be able to search the archive. Mail.app's search capabilities are pathetic at best. I've searched around and found some AppleScript's that do some manner of import into FileMaker database, but they are limited in file size and capability to deal with attachments. I currently create new mailboxes with old mail to keep the mailbox from growing too huge, but am still stuck with poor search features. Otherwise, I am quite happy with Mail.app (Jaguar) and prefer to keep it. Does anyone have practical solutions for dealing with large ...

Mail client app for Google mail?
My workplace uses Google Mail and everyone I know of uses the online Google Mail client, which lots of folks don't particularly like. I tried Thunderbird on my MacBook Pro; it doesn't work with Google mail. Our IT folks discourage the use of the Apple Mail app. What alternative app would work? -- _____________________________ Ron, the humblest guy in town On 2013-09-13 23:33:31 +0000, Ron said: > My workplace uses Google Mail and everyone I know of uses the online > Google Mail client, which lots of folks don't particularly like. I tried > Thunderbird on my MacBook Pro; it doesn't work with Google mail. Our IT > folks discourage the use of the Apple Mail app. What alternative app > would work? Thunderbird works great on the MacBook Pro with gmail. I have not idea what you mean about it not working. It by default does just what is intended with imap mail. Apple Mail is a bit hokey however and deleted files go to all mail in the iMap folders. I use Thunderbird fairly exclusivly for gmail on my Mac. In message <1l959v1.r5pb2fq8kaq6N%RonTheGuy@null.invalid> Ron <RonTheGuy@null.invalid> wrote: > Our IT > folks discourage the use of the Apple Mail app. Do they have a reason, or are they just gibbering morons? > What alternative app would work? Any mail app that supports IMAP should *work* with gmail. Mail.app is the best one though. -- Humans are always slightly lost. It...

Mail.app vaporized my e-mail!
The strangest thing just happened, help! I opened up Mail, and all the messages on my inbox (several dozen of them, some dating back 7 months) were all marked as unread. Not a big problem. BUT, everything dated between August 18 2003 and today (October 13, 2003) has completely vanished. I had some VERY important e-mails in there. I tried looking in ~/Library/Mail, and there doesn't seem to be any way to recover them by messing around in there. Is there any way to get them back??? Thanks G In article <Gqtib.9039$x97.2472@clgrps13>, nospam@spam.sucks.it (Gavin) wrote: &...

Problem with mail.app not finding mail
I'm using Mail 4.1 on 10.6.1, and my wife is using Mail 2.1.3 on 10.4.11, so there's not an exact convergence. I have mine set up to get mail from our web host, and it works fine. I have Louise's set up to get mail from our Web host, and it doesn't work. My problem is that I have no clue how to diagnose the problem - which end it's on. As far as I can tell, I set both accounts up the same on our Web host (an external service, not run by us), and I've set both mail.app accounts up the same. How do I troubleshoot this? In article <231020091035146216%ralph@whitehous...

Persistant Junk Mail in Mail.app
I use Mail.app for emaii. Mail.app includes a Bayesian filter which is supposed to "learn" the characteristics of a particular mail designated by me as junk and will eventually automatically move mail with the learned characteristics to the junk mail list. This seems to usually work but there are a few exceptions. My assumption is that the senders of those emails have somehow done something to bypass the junk filter. I'm curious as to what that could be. Any thoughts will be appreciated. -- James Leo Ryan - Austin, Texas In article <atnt47Fk1v3U1@mid.individual.net>, TaliesinSoft <taliesinsoft@me.com> wrote: > I use Mail.app for emaii. Mail.app includes a Bayesian filter which is > supposed to "learn" the characteristics of a particular mail designated > by me as junk and will eventually automatically move mail with the > learned characteristics to the junk mail list. This seems to usually > work but there are a few exceptions. My assumption is that the senders > of those emails have somehow done something to bypass the junk filter. > I'm curious as to what that could be. Any thoughts will be appreciated. Take a look at the message source, and you'll probably see loads of random phrases that are hidden in HTML. I think this stuff tends to thwart the Bayesian filters. -- Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu Arlington, MA *** PLEASE post questions in newsgroups, ...

Mail app in Jornada not receiving mail
I was just given a brand new, in the box, never used HP Jornada 548 running CE 3.0. I bought an AmbiCom 802.11 card for it so that I could use it with my home wireless LAN/ADSL connection. The card allows me to connect to the Internet, and I can surf the web with the thing wirelessly - as advertised. Now I also have a Macintosh Powerbook with a built-in Airport card and a Windows PC as well as a Mac G4 all connected to my network router either via Wi-Fi or Ether. I can receive and send mail on all three computers, but for some reason I cannot get e-mail to work with the Jornada and the CE "Inbox" application. My ISP assures me that I have all the info: Pop3 server, SMTP server, username, password, etc, entered correctly. Has anybody run into this problem? Can anybody tell me what the problem is? George Graves ...

Mac Mail app
I'm sure I am probably missing something but I am new to the Mac, so help would be appreciated. The Mac's on board mail client, why is the text size so small on some incoming mail? It is not on all mail so presumably the senders settings have an impact although I would have thought that Mac Mail would have over-ridden these with local settings. Thanks Colin Countryman wrote: > I'm sure I am probably missing something but I am new to the Mac, so help > would be appreciated. > > The Mac's on board mail client, why is the text size so small on some > inco...

Mail Links In Web Apps won't open any mail apps? Help!!! Thanks
that is if I click on a link in Safari or Internet Explorer that contains an e-mail address it won't open a mail app. the dock kind of moves a bit and that's it. this is a total pain in the butt because these address's are imbedded and I can't see what the address is. I checked the useless discussions on the apple sight and they were uh...useless. I checked all preferences and that didn't fix it.Someone suggested that the default setting in the apple mail app would have a place to set it but that didn't work. Any suggestions? thanks for the help -- Barry ...

Mail.app and full server mail box
My friend has an eMac running Panther and is using Mail.app. On two occasion in the last two months his server mail box has gotten full ( 6 MB) and really screwed up his business. I went into the preferences as well as read Pogue's chapter, but I could find no toggle for controlling the length of time one's mail stays on the server after one downloads it. Interestingly, Eudora Lite 3.1 gives you this control in the settings. Am I missing something? How do I get his server to trash his mail after he downloads it? He has a POP dialup account with attglobal - same as me. TIA -- ...

mail.app question: sent mail disappeared
All of a sudden my sent mail box has dumped it's numerous sent mails and shrunk to two sent mails for some unknown reason. Thinking that maybe I had disk problems, I first did disk repair and then when that did nothing I booted from another disk and checked my startup disc and it verified totally perfect. Still no joy, sent mail still gone. Next I did a rebuild of sent mail, closed mail.app and re-opened it, sent mail still gone. -Anybody got a clue as to where it went and whether there is a possibility of retrieving it? -Is this a corruption problem and should I start backing up ...

My mail client reads mail but does not fetch them from server?
Hi, My java email client can read the messages sent to my acount at my isp. But when i use outlook it fetches these messages that has already been reed in my java mail client. So it seems that my mail client dont really get these messages from the isp server and instead just reads them. What do i do wrong? My code to receive message look like this: public ReceiveMail(String popServer, String user, String passw)throws NoSuchProviderException,MessagingException{ Store store=null; Folder folder=null; try{ Properties props = System.getProperties(); Session session = Session.getDefau...

Limit e-Mail size in Mail.app?
Is there any way I can put a maximum size of incoming e-mail my copy of Mail.app [Version 2.1 (752/752.2)] will accept? TIA -- Bob Batson rcb@kc.rr.com "Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines" In article <rcb-F02083.18152622072006@news-rdr-03.rdc-kc.rr.com>, Bob Batson <rcb@kc.rr.com> wrote: > Is there any way I can put a maximum size of incoming e-mail my copy of > Mail.app [Version 2.1 (752/752.2)] will accept? > > TIA Doing a search in Mail's Help for "message size" found this article: Skipping retrieval...

Mail.app deletes mail when deleting account
In Mail.app, in Preferences, in the Accounts panel, there is a list of accounts. I had a POP account there I no longer in use. I used the Remove button to delete the old account. But I didn't mean for it to delete all mail that had been recieved earlier into that email address. Yet that seems to be what happened. At least I can't find the mail anywhere in any of my mailboxes or in my_home/Library/Mail. There were a number of messages organized into various folders. Now they are gone. These mail messages were not sitting on a server, they were on my Mac. Is Mail supposed to do ...

Exporting Mail from Mail.app to Thunderbird #2
What's the easiest way of transferring my mail from Mail app to Thunderbird. The import faciliity on T'bird doesn't work, and I wondered if I could do it by copying the folders in Library>Mail>Mailboxes? Would this work do you think? Peter -- It is necessary for the good man to do nothing for evil to triumph. Attributed to Edmund Burke 1729 - 1797 On 4/9/12 PDT 2:20 AM, Peter James wrote: > What's the easiest way of transferring my mail from Mail app to > Thunderbird. > The import faciliity on T'bird doesn't work, and I wondered i...

How can I capture a mailing list in mail.app?
The list is in the form of "First Name Last Name"<email address>, next, next, . . . I don't want to add them to my address book, which is an option. I want to capture them all into a text file. If I select, copy and paste, I only get the email address, not the name. I want the whole thing. I am not afraid to go into the mail file itself, if that is what it takes. -- Robert B. Peirce, Venetia, PA 724-941-6883 bob AT peirce-family.com [Mac] rbp AT cooksonpeirce.com [Office] In article <bob-2EA010.15593316052008@[199.45.49.11]>, Robert Peirce <bob@peirc...

Junk mail handling problems in Mail.app
Since upgrading to Panther I have encountered trouble getting junk mail handling to work properly. I don't know whether its a bug in "Mail" or a local problem. What happens is this. If the Preferences are set to "When Junk Mail arrives -- Move it to the Junk mailbox (Automatic)" the Junk mail Icon (in the Mailboxes drawer) increments up as Junk messages arrive. The number of messages is shown alongside the Icon. However, when the Icon is selected none of these messages are listed in the main window. Looking in ~/Library/Mail/Junk/ there is a file named 'Inco...

mail.app gives odd message for received mail
Today when I attempted to read some incoming mail I received the following instead of the normal message contents: The message from [...] <[...]@hotmail.com> concerning �[...]� has not been downloaded from the server. You need to take this account online in order to download it. The [...] is where identifying information has been elided. The actual message included the identity of the sender, the sender's address, and the title of the message. This has now happened in conjunction with the last half-dozen messages sent to me by this one party. Messages from other persons are b...

Web resources about - mail.app does not fetch mail - comp.sys.mac.comm

Fetch (geography) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The fetch , also called the fetch length , is the length of water over which a given wind has blown. Fetch is used in geography and meteorology ...

Fetch TV - Chronik-Fotos - Facebook
Fetch TV are pleased to announce that we will be adding 4 new channels from Jan 1. The new channels are TVH!TS, Nickelodeon, Nick Jr and MTV ...

Fetch San Francisco (@thefetchSF) on Twitter

Fetch: Personal Buying Assistant on the App Store on iTunes
Get Fetch: Personal Buying Assistant on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Dog Training : How to Teach Your Dog to Fetch - YouTube
Teaching your dog to fetch should be a fun and engaging experience. Teach your dog to fetch with tips from a dog trainer in this free video about ...

First Apple computer, Apple 1 from California, could fetch $500k at Christie's auction house
IT'S the kind of electronic junk that piles up in basements and garages - an old computer motherboard with wires sticking out.

100-year-old Queensland farm car could fetch $1 million
Mercedes classic used on Queensland sheep stations heading to auction.

Can Bishopcourt fetch $25 million? (00:44)
Prestige Property Reporter Lucy Macken speaks to the agent charged with selling this iconic property.

Qld Motorways may fetch $6.3 bn
Bidders that include specialist infrastructure investors, pension funds and sovereign wealth funds may be willing to pay a very high multiple ...