Remote Desktop

Hello,

We have recently bought an Apple Power Mac G5 for a running project.

I would want to know if it exists any method to connect to the remote
desktop of G5 using several OSs like GNU/Linux or Windows.

We know about Apple Remote Desktop, but this application only works to
connect Mac with another Mac computer. On the other side we have tested
the VNC server, but it doesn't like us because only let one user to
connect simultaneously to the open session on the G5.

We are interested to find something similar to the XDMCP protocol that
X-Window uses on UNIXes systems.

Both, SSH and Remote Desktop daemons are activated in the Power Mac G5.
Now we only need to know which programs we have to use to connect
several users at the same time (10 is the maximum value of users that
our Mac OS X Phanter let us) to their desktop.

Please, ... Does anybody know how I can do this?

Thx for advance,
Regards.
    o//o     Ra�l de la Cruz Mart�nez   E-mail: delacruz at ac upc es
   o//o      CEPBA-IBM Research Institute (CIRI)  www.cepba.upc.es/ciri
  o//o       http://people.ac.upc.es/delacruz     Tel: +34 93-401 16 49
o//o  CIRI  C/Jordi Girona 1-3, Despatx C6-S103. BCN, Catalonia, SPAIN
delacruz2 (4)
4/26/2004 12:18:26 PM
comp.sys.mac.comm 3057 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

In article <c6iur1$lmf$5@defalla.upc.es>,
 Ra�l de la Cruz <delacruz@none.com> wrote:

> I would want to know if it exists any method to connect to the remote
> desktop of G5 using several OSs like GNU/Linux or Windows.

You want to install this on the Mac:

<http://www.redstonesoftware.com/vnc.html>

That's the server software for VNC (Virtual Network Computing), a remote
control package originally out of AT&T laboratories and now maintained
in many different packages.

On Windows or Linux, you can then install software from
<http://www.realvnc.com/> or <http://www.tightvnc.com/> which will
provide the client application you can use to connect to the Mac's
shared desktop.

VNC is free, open source, etc. There are also commercial applications
that may provide better performance, such as Timbuktu (Mac and Windows),
but I haven't tried those.

Hope this helps...

Mike
0
none14 (46)
4/26/2004 2:26:47 PM
In article <c6iur1$lmf$5@defalla.upc.es>,
 Ra�l de la Cruz <delacruz@none.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We have recently bought an Apple Power Mac G5 for a running project.
>
> I would want to know if it exists any method to connect to the remote
> desktop of G5 using several OSs like GNU/Linux or Windows.
>
> We know about Apple Remote Desktop, but this application only works to
> connect Mac with another Mac computer. On the other side we have tested
> the VNC server, but it doesn't like us because only let one user to
> connect simultaneously to the open session on the G5.
>
> We are interested to find something similar to the XDMCP protocol that
> X-Window uses on UNIXes systems.
>
> Both, SSH and Remote Desktop daemons are activated in the Power Mac G5.
> Now we only need to know which programs we have to use to connect
> several users at the same time (10 is the maximum value of users that
> our Mac OS X Phanter let us) to their desktop.
>
> Please, ... Does anybody know how I can do this?
>
> Thx for advance,
> Regards.

OSXvnc running on the G5

Chicken of the VNC for other Macs that want to control the G5.

There are VNC clients for Windows and Linux (as well as most other UNIX
implementations).

                                        Bob Harris
0
harris8 (494)

Mac - to
I've got the Msdros remote desktop that works OK. What I'd like to do, though, is to have a remote desktop from my iBook to my G5 computer, both on the most recent OS/X, tiger. release. What program do I have to use to log in to my G5 from my iBook so that I can, through wi-fi, control iTunes, play DVDs, and run terminal on the G5 on the iBook? [[ This message was both posted and mailed: see the "To," "Cc," and "Newsgroups" headers for details. ]] In article <1180031966.406197.148070@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>, Peter Brooks <Peter.H.M.Brooks@gmail.com> wrote: > I've got the Msdros remote desktop that works OK. > > What I'd like to do, though, is to have a remote desktop from my iBook > to my G5 computer, both on the most recent OS/X, tiger. release. > > What program do I have to use to log in to my G5 from my iBook so that > I can, through wi-fi, control iTunes, play DVDs, and run terminal on > the G5 on the iBook? > I use Remote Desktop v3.1 to do that with my iBook and G3. http://www.apple.com/remotedesktop/ Cheers, Darrell -- To reply, substitute .net for .invalid in address, i.e., darrell.usenet6 (at) �telus.net In article <1180031966.406197.148070@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>, Peter Brooks <Peter.H.M.Brooks@gmail.com> wrote: > I've got the Msdros remote desktop that works OK. > > What I'd like to do, though, is to have a remote desktop...

Microsoft remote desktop for the Mac
I'm looking at leaving Linux and getting myself a Mac Mini. I do have a PC running Windows XP that I have to use regularly and was wondering what peoples impressions of Remote Desktop for the Mac are? Also, is their any solution beside VNC for remotely displaying the Mac Desktop on Windows? Jason Bowen <ha@nospam.net> writes: > I'm looking at leaving Linux and getting myself a Mac Mini. I do > have a PC running Windows XP that I have to use regularly and was > wondering what peoples impressions of Remote Desktop for the Mac I don't use MS's Remote Des...

MAC Remote desktop (easy probably)
Is it possible to remote desktop (with something like VNC) to a MAC from a PC? This would be very useful. Kind regards Dave In article <V7e8f.41582$Bj2.9779@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, "Dave Smithz" <dave1900@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote: > Is it possible to remote desktop (with something like VNC) to a MAC from a > PC? > > This would be very useful. Yes, it would. On Apple's website, look for "Apple Remote Desktop". When you stop swearing at the price, please let us know if you find anything in a sane price range. BTW, "Mac&quo...

Microsoft Remote Desktop
Hi All, I have searched and searched, but cannot find the answer to this one. I am a PC user, whom has just made the transition to Mac. I have a new G5 Imac running the latest OsX. I have downloaded MS remote desktop and it works perfectly on the internal network, however, when I try to connect to external (i.e on the web outside our network), it will not connect. Yes, I am going through a firewall (linux). However, on a windows pc on the same network, it works perfectly (through the firewall). I can sort of get around this, by RD to our internal server and then RD from that session to outside (pretty stupid really). I need to use RD as I support about 15 clients this way (used to from PC) and great distances are involved, so I just can't change to VNC or whatever. So... I am hoping one of you smart Mac guys/gals out there can help. I have a few ideas - like it might be because I need to be a member of my local work group (how does one change this in a mac?). Also, I have opened the port 3283 as it told me that apple rd uses this, but it made no difference. Anyone please help? thanks [[ This message was both posted and mailed: see the 'To' and 'Newsgroups' headers for details. ]] On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 03:31:43 -0500, Steve Rolfe wrote (in article <1104222703.013260.166140@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>): > Hi All, > I have searched and searched, but cannot find the answer to this one. > I am a PC user, whom has just made the tra...

MS Remote Desktop for Mac Ports needed
have a Mac OS 10.4 where I want to setup a remote desktop server(1 user -at home logging in) What ports need to be open on Firewall for the Mac in the office acting as the server? Regards cr NewsGroup: > have a Mac OS 10.4 where I want to setup a remote desktop server(1 > user -at home logging in) What ports need to be open on Firewall for the > Mac in the > office acting as the server? Open the 'Sharing' System Preferences pane, go to 'Firewall' and hover the cursor over 'Apple Remote Desktop', wait a second and it will tell you which ports a...

Remote Access to Mac OS X desktop from PC
Is there a solution available to connect remotely to OS X from a PC, similar to GoToMyPC? Any help would be appreciated. On 2007-08-22 16:57:36 -0500, gregberry@pointsolve.com said: > Is there a solution available to connect remotely to OS X from a PC, > similar to GoToMyPC? Any help would be appreciated. VNC server works great in Mac OS X: <http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11283/vine-server> Here's the VNC client for Windows: <http://realvnc.com/download.html> And there are plenty of clients for Mac OS X as well: <http://www.macupdate.com/search.php?...

Mac OS X <-> XP remote desktop
I know that it's possible to run a Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection client on Mac OS X to make a connection with a Windows XP. But what are the possibilities the other way around ? Does there also exist an Apple Remote Desktop client that runs under XP, so that you can control a Power Mac remotely ? thx, Werner Van Geit Werner Van Geit <werner.vangeit@vt4.net> wrote: > I know that it's possible to run a Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection > client on Mac OS X to make a connection with a Windows XP. > > But what are the possibilities the other way around ? Does there also > exist an Apple Remote Desktop client that runs under XP, so that you > can control a Power Mac remotely ? You can use a vnc client and server. There are numerous vnc clients and servers for most platforms - find them at versiontracker.com or macupdate.com. -- Morten Dreier http://morten.dreier.no/ In article <1g556x3.1t2dymf1mpb8w0N%news-morten@dreier.no>, news-morten@dreier.no (Morten Dreier) wrote: > > But what are the possibilities the other way around ? Does there also > > exist an Apple Remote Desktop client that runs under XP, so that you > > can control a Power Mac remotely ? > > You can use a vnc client and server. We have used Timbuktu with good success in mixed environment. -- Matti Haveri <mattiDOThaveriATsjokiDOTutaeiroskaaDOTfi> remove ei roskaa Thank you for your advice, I'll try these solutions. ...

Remote desktop solaris 9 <-> Mac os X troble need help asap
Hello I have a solaris box (ss20) last week a get x11 remote desktop on my ibook Mac os X10.3.5 to work. It work fine for a week. But I tried it last night I got his error XFree86 Version 4.3.0 / X Window System (protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 6600) [DRI] screen 0 installation complete Screen 0 added: 1024x746 @ (0,22) Screen 0 placed at X11 coordinate (0,0). Fatal server error: XDMCP fatal error: Session failed Session 1 failed for display pc-00004:0: Cannot open display OsVendorFatalError AbortDDX Quitting XDarwin... the command I used was /usr/X11R6/bin/X -xineram...

Why is Palm Desktop Mac so superior to Desktop/Windows?
I'm one of a very small number of people who use Palm Desktop 4.1 (only available with T|E and T3, supports Date Book/Calendar categories) on both Mac OS X and Windows. So I can pass on something that may come as a bit of a surprise. There's no comparison between the two applications, which look nothing alike. Desktop/Mac is far superior to Desktop/Windows. One minor example -- there's no way to export all appointments from Desktop/Windows, in Desktop/Mac you have 3 options, as well as import and "merge". On Desktop/Win you have a few paltry task filters, on De...

Remote Desktop (XDMCP) works on LAN, but not remote location.
Following the suggestions of others on my previous thread "Can't log into remote desktop XDMCP" http://groups.google.com/group/comp.unix.solaris/browse_thread/thread/796f16d1fc0f3c65 I now have this working on my LAN. i.e I can now access more than one machine from the Solaris login page by selecting a remote system. But 'remote' in this context is only working for machines on the same subnet - not from anywhere else. I've set up the modem/router/firewall to route UDP port 177 and TCP Port 6000 to this machine from the outside. (IP filter runs on the workst...

Mac Login Monitoring
Was wondering if anyone might know the answer to this. In the windows world you can look at event viewer to see logins and such on a machine which will also give you date and time stamps. You can also look at the user profiles on the machine on the C drive to see who has logged in. In Mac, how would you see the login history on a particular machine? (OSX that is...) Also... Is it possible to do it remotely from a PC? TeamKaeru <TeamKaeru@gmail.com> writes: > In the windows world you can look at event viewer to see logins and > In Mac, how would you see the login history on a ...

Remote desktop
Hello, We have recently bought an Apple Power Mac G5 for a running project. I would want to know if it exists any method to connect to the remote desktop of G5 using several OSs like GNU/Linux or Windows. We know about Apple Remote Desktop, but this application only works to connect Mac with another Mac computer. On the other side we have tested the VNC server, but it doesn't like us because only let one user to connect simultaneously to the open session on the G5. We are interested to find something similar to the XDMCP protocol that X-Window uses on UNIXes systems. Both, SSH an...

Remote desktop?
Hello, I am using Solaris 8 but remotely logged in. I have this graphical installation tool that runs on my remote Solaris machine, but I cannot see any of the stuff through Putty (SSH program). Does anyone have a recommendation for a good virtual/remote desktop I can use? Thanks, - Dave If I understood you right, you want to run GUI applications on your Solaris machine remotely to your M$ Win. If this is the case, then you need to install cygwin with Xorg packages (free) or buy Exceed. laredotornado@zipmail.com wrote: > Hello, I am using Solaris 8 but remotely logged in. I have this...

sys .mac
Dear Friend, I have found some websites: for msn messenger, http://www.hotmailpk.com/ For entertainment,spotlight.articles,interviews,dailyupdate htttp://www.familyandtwist.com/ for sms messeges, smsjokes, http://www.smstwist.com/ for articles,entertainment,beauty tips,news,showbiz and fashion http://http://www.familypk.com Visit these websites: Thanks ...

Mac to mac

[News] Desktop GNU/Linux a Better Mac Than Mac OS X

apple remote desktop
HI, I'm trying to get Apple Remote Desktop, if anyone has it and would like to share it, please upload it and let me know. Thanks Henry Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services ---------------------------------------------------------- ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY ** ---------------------------------------------------------- http://www.usenet.com I have a remote on my desktop, but its made by RCA. And even if I could upload phisical objects, I certaily wouldn't tell YOU! You could always try the Apple store - or at least a newsgroup that pertains to a Mac. Moron! zhenry wrote: > HI, I'm trying to get Apple Remote Desktop, if anyone has it and would > like to share it, please upload it and let me know. Wrong Group. Try a comp.sys.mac... group. This one is for Apple II, Apple Computer's pre-Macintosh product line -- Linards Ticmanis In article <1143919710_2446@news-east.n>, zhenry <henry@metropcrepairs.com> wrote: > HI, I'm trying to get Apple Remote Desktop, if anyone has it and would > like to share it, please upload it and let me know. > > Thanks > > Henry > > > Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services > ---------------------------------------------------------- > ** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY ** > ---------------------------------------------------------- > ...

How to turn on a remote Mac?
Never thought it would get down to this, asking for advice about how to turn on my Mac. I want to devise a kludge to push the "power on" button of a remotely operated Mac Mini. Mini is headless. Mini actively running Timbuktu, in a Vista Ultimate OS partition, which was created by Boot Camp. With TB2 active and running, I threw Vista into hibernation mode, which killed main power on the Mini. To get Timbuktu up and running again, I had to manually push the "power on" switch on the back side of the Mini. THAT is what I want to do with my kludge, so I can remot...

gpuArray through Remote Desktop
I have been using gpuArray on a certain machine without difficulty when I work locally. However, when I connect to the same machine remotely using Remote Desktop, attempts to use gpuArray fail with the following error Error using gpuArray (line 28) No device supporting CUDA was found. My local software experts conjecture that this is because Remote Desktop substitutes some default virtual display architecture for the actual video card when rendering the desktop. When MATLAB tries to detect the CUDA capable card it encounters instead this rerouted display architecture and thinks the car...

Apple Remote Desktop
Will Apple Remote Desktop work over a WAN? It works perfectly over a local network but I can't seem to get it to work over a WAN. Before I waste any more time I would like to know if it is possible. David davidsteward4@yahoo.com <davidsteward4@yahoo.com> wrote: > Will Apple Remote Desktop work over a WAN? It works perfectly over a > local network but I can't seem to get it to work over a WAN. Before I > waste any more time I would like to know if it is possible. > > David I've heard (!) that it will work but you must give it the IP address of the remote. No Rendezvous on a WAN. Whether or not you would have to open specific ports on any firewall between you and the remote, I wouldn't know. Good luck. -- /Z I can now answer my own query. Yes, it works well. The admin needs to know the IP address of the client as well as the username and password. The following ports needed to be mapped on the firewalls for both routers, 22 and 5900, both TCP and 3283 UDP. It was the last one that we had previously not set. All functions worked well but iTunes started up by the admin played on the client but gave no sound on the admin machine. David > Will Apple Remote Desktop work over a WAN Yes it works over a WAN, I use it all the time to control remote Macs. Follow the directions above to forward ports to the computer running ARD and it works fine. Failure to forward these ports, and the remote mac will show up as a "VNC" com...

How do I work on a Remote Mac?
I will soon be giving a g3/266 to my mom as her first computer. Mom's 100 miles away, and I'm sure she will have MANY questions. I would like to work on Mom's Mac from home to show her things, and to fix things. She will have Dial-up and I have Cable. Both machines are running OS 9.1 ( won't use OS X ). How can i work on Moms machine from afar? Hope you can help....Thanks....DaveC... In article <goldfern-08F602.00112713032005@news.isp.giganews.com>, Dave <goldfern@kalama.com> wrote: > I will soon be giving a g3/266 to my mom as her first computer. > Mom's 100 miles away, and I'm sure she will have MANY questions. > I would like to work on Mom's Mac from home to show her things, and to fix > things. > She will have Dial-up and I have Cable. > Both machines are running OS 9.1 ( won't use OS X ). > How can i work on Moms machine from afar? > Hope you can help....Thanks....DaveC... There are versions of VNC for Mac OS 9, but I think you'll find screen updates over a dial-up connection to be agonizingly slow. -- Tom Stiller PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3 7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF > How can i work on Moms machine from afar? There are a few ways. VNC was mentioned, you can download that for free from VersionTracker.com, just search on VNC. The 2 methods that I currently use for remote controlling a mac are: Timbuktu: [URL]http://www.netopia.com/software/pro...

Remotely Controlling a Mac
I would like to control a second mac on my home network. It seems that the Apple remote desktop software is not free as it is in windows. I have heard of VNC client and server. Would this work as well as Apple's Remote Desktop? Are there drawbacks? In article <BCA1D60B.B74A%gjohnson1@qwest.net>, GEJ <gjohnson1@qwest.net> wrote: > I would like to control a second mac on my home network. It seems that the > Apple remote desktop software is not free as it is in windows. I have heard > of VNC client and server. Would this work as well as Apple's Remote > ...

How to control my Mac remotely? ...
Guys, What apps should I use to control (manipulate the GUI) my Tiger iBook remotely from my XP PC, or vice-versa? Is this fairly easy to do with some kind of VNC tool? Or is it a headache? Both machines connect to the net via a home Linksys router. Thanks in advance! Chris http://amateureconblog.blogspot.com/ On 2006-05-19, Speedmaster <meisenzahl@gmail.com> wrote: > Guys, > > What apps should I use to control (manipulate the GUI) my Tiger iBook > remotely from my XP PC, or vice-versa? Server on Mac: OSXVNC, Client on the MAc: Chicken of VNC.. > > Is this fairly...

remote desktop ports
hi,I want to install a firewall infront of a server (w2k3) ,but I have to reach it via remote desktop (formerly terminal service) I imagine 3389/tcp microsoft-rdp Microsoft Terminal Service is enough, but what are these ports: 135/tcp open msrpc Microsoft Windows RPC 1025/tcp open msrpc Microsoft Windows RPC 1026/tcp open msrpc Microsoft Windows RPC 1031/tcp open msrpc Microsoft Windows RPC 1033/tcp open msrpc Microsoft Windows RPC 2105/tcp open msrpc Microsoft Windows RPC thanks for your help <sillymartin@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1139819337.388485.185820@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > hi,I want to install a firewall infront of a server (w2k3) ,but > I have to reach it via remote desktop (formerly terminal service) > > I imagine > 3389/tcp microsoft-rdp Microsoft Terminal Service > > is enough, but what are these ports: > > 135/tcp open msrpc Microsoft Windows RPC > 1025/tcp open msrpc Microsoft Windows RPC > 1026/tcp open msrpc Microsoft Windows RPC > 1031/tcp open msrpc Microsoft Windows RPC > 1033/tcp open msrpc Microsoft Windows RPC > 2105/tcp open msrpc Microsoft Windows RPC > > > thanks for your help > rpc stands for Remote Proceedure Call. Do n...

Web resources about - Remote Desktop - comp.sys.mac.comm

Virtual desktop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... a virtualized environment between the computer platform and its operating system, see Virtual machine . For virtual machines running desktop ...

Last Chance for Desktop-or-Die Crowd: Google Cranks Up Search Benefit to Mobile-Friendly Pages
Brands and publishers that still haven't gotten around to building a responsive site might want to tweak their development roadmap, uh, yesterday. ...

NooG is a compact web search bar for your PC desktop
NooG is a lightweight internet search bar for the Windows desktop. We watched the installation process closely, because this is just the kind ...

This app brings your entire desktop into the VR world with you
... you're browsing the Internet, watching Netflix or even playing a non-VR game, BigScreen is a piece of software that can bring your desktop into ...

Smart Reply in Desktop Google Inbox
... Inbox service has a feature that suggests 3 short replies. It was first added to the Inbox mobile apps and now it's available in the desktop ...

Here’s how Siri might get to your desktop
... getting Siri on your MacBook or iMac might seem like something out of a near-future like the one shown in Her by Spike Jones. Siri on the desktop ...

Android N has a “Freeform” Desktop-Style Floating App Window Mode
... within a single side of Multi-Window, as well. There is even mouse support as well, which could be some sort of sign that Android as a desktop ...

Opera's desktop web browser gets built-in ad blocking
If you use a major desktop web browser, you usually have to hunt down an ad blocking add-on if you're determined to purge intrusive promos from ...

Computer Sales Continue to Evolve Away From Desktop PCs, Says Report
As desktop PC sales continue to fade, steady sales of laptops and portables appear to debunk the idea that PCs are dead, the report finds.

AMD launches XConnect, partners with Intel, Razer to drive desktop gaming on laptops
AMD's XConnect is designed to bridge the gap between mobile and desktop-class gaming hardware and give gamers the advantages of both.