setting default file permissions for every file created

Hi

Not sure if this is the right group for this questions, so apologies
in advance.

My problem is that I have a small 3 Mac network set up, and I want to
have a central file server on one of the machines, so that any file
created on any machine can be accessed, modified and saved without
having 3 copies of it floating around.

I have set up the network so all mahines can see the folder I wish to
use and I have created a group with each user in it, using
sharepoints, allowing the R&W permission for that folder.

But as soon as I create a file (say a word doc) it is given only read
only permission to the other machines...deafeating the whole point of
it. I know there is a "read only" option when saving in word but I
have deselected this and it does the same in Quark, photoshop and
anything else I try.

Does anyone have any suggestion how to get round this problem?

thanks in advance
regards

Stewart
comp.sys.mac.comm 3057 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

In article <4101c478.0401270306.40c9beef@posting.google.com>,
 stewartmcewen@hotmail.com (Stramec) wrote:

> But as soon as I create a file (say a word doc) it is given only read
> only permission to the other machines...deafeating the whole point of
> it. I know there is a "read only" option when saving in word but I
> have deselected this and it does the same in Quark, photoshop and
> anything else I try.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestion how to get round this problem?

We were having a similar problem: workgroup files on a share volume
couldn't be modified by some people.

What we did was simply selecting the volume, do a "Get Info" and in the
"Owner & Permission" section enabled "Ignore ownership on this volume".

That was possible as that volume *only* holds workgroup files - I would
not recommend doing that on a startup and/or application volume.

If you have a server with only one disk rather create separate
partitions: one for system/apps and another for the shared files.

Cheers   Martin

--
To reply by e-mail remove the "waste bin".

Files created in C:\Documents and Settings\userid\Local Settings\Temp\ even though tmpdir set in INI file
Forum, &nbsp; Using LV 8.5 and despite setting tmpdir in my built EXE's ini file, there are still files being created in my PC's default temp folder C:\Documents and Settings\userid\Local Settings\Temp\.&nbsp; The files are: BMD Client_8.5_userid_cur.txt nixEA.tmp lvsEB.tmp lvsEC.tmp lvsED.tmp lvtl278595612.rsc &nbsp; After the EXE is shut down, the only file remaining is BMD Client_8.5_userid_cur.txt &nbsp; Why&nbsp;is the tmpdir INI file setting ignored? &nbsp; Chris Roth Hi Chris, What is the setting in your ini file? (the command itself?)Do you have an example that I can test with my system?Thanks! Karunya, I added tmpdir="C:\Program Files\Premise\BMD Client 4.0.1\temp" to my EXEs INI file. I then restarted the EXE and the files I mentioned were still being written to C:\Documents and Settings\userid\Local Settings\Temp. No example. This happened with LabVIEW 8.5 as well. That is, going to Tools>>Options>>Paths and setting the Temporary Directory to something other than the default. Then restarting LabVIEW. Saw the addition of tmpdir in the LabVIEW.ini file, but no apparent effect to LabVIEW itself. Chris Roth Hi Chris,&nbsp;I was able to you replicate your issue about the temporary directory not getting changed. I appreciate your feedback on this. This was reported to R&amp;D 123239 for further investigation.&nbsp; &nbsp;Thanks!&nbsp; ...

Creating a movie file from a set of postscript files.
I have a bunch of eps files that represent the time evolution of a solution to the diffusion PDE. I can show them in rapid succession, which makes it look like a movie, but I'd like to be able to turn them into a native movie format. So, the problem statement is: Suppose I have a bunch of eps / ps files. Is there any way to string the files together to create a movie file of some sort (like an mpg or avi)? Thanks! Pete Peter Salzman wrote: > I have a bunch of eps files that represent the time evolution of a > solution to the diffusion PDE. I can show them in rapid succession, ...

Create a font file for a Mac... .fnt file...
I have a bit map image of a font. I need to write a c/c++ application to take the bitmap image and chop it up into a known set of characters and produce a fnt file. I know the width height and pixel depth of the bitmap image and I know the cell dimensions.... Does anyone have a pointer to some source code to produce the font file given each character, its ascii code and bitmap image of each character? TIA B. On 2/24/12 2:28 PM, SpreadTooThin wrote: > I have a bit map image of a font. > I need to write a c/c++ application to take the bitmap image and chop it up into a known set of characters and produce a fnt file. > > I know the width height and pixel depth of the bitmap image and I know the cell dimensions.... > > Does anyone have a pointer to some source code to produce the font file given each character, its ascii code and bitmap image of each character? > > TIA > B. Here: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=fnt%20file%20format On Friday, February 24, 2012 4:57:21 PM UTC-7, Daniel Pitts wrote: > On 2/24/12 2:28 PM, SpreadTooThin wrote: > > I have a bit map image of a font. > > I need to write a c/c++ application to take the bitmap image and chop it up into a known set of characters and produce a fnt file. > > > > I know the width height and pixel depth of the bitmap image and I know the cell dimensions.... > > > > Does anyone have a pointer to some source code to produce the font file given each character, its ascii ...

How to retrieve and set default file version limit of directories and files
In DCL you can set the default file version limit with create/dir/version=x, or with set directory/version=y. You can set the version limit on files with set file/version=z. In C, using RMS, you can retrieve the version limit of a file in XABFHC, in field XAB$W_VERLIMIT. The default file version limit of a directory is one of the arguments to LIB$CREATE_DIR, I can do that :-). So, now I have two questions : - How to set the file limit of a file in a C program? - How to retrieve the default file limit of an existing directory? http://h71000.www7.hp.com/doc/732FINAL/aa-pv6sf-tk/aa-pv6sf-...

Strange file permissions and behavior breakage serving Mac files
All, I have an old Windows NT 4.0 server that serves files to various Windows users as well as a single Mac OSX laptop (10.3.9). Lately a problem has developed where the Mac user makes changes to an Excel spreadsheet that lives on the NT server and when they try to save their changes they are told the changes could not be saved and that Excel has written the changed file to, e.g., C035298 and they should rename that file to what they want and use it from then on. The Mac user then finds that they cannot open or write to the original file even though a Get Info on their Mac says they...

Create a file handler to allow more permission checking on files open?
Hi, Is there a way to (with the win32 api) create a file handler which will detect when a user is attempting to open a file and then write some code to do some business rule checks and set the files permissions and then continue with the opening process? I know that I can use HTTP file handlers in .net but this is only for a web site I want this to be for all files... anyone got any ideas? Thanks, Scott <scott.pyke@midware.com.au> wrote in message news:1106012854.411022.312280@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > Is there a way to (with the win32 api...

Strange file permissions and behavior breakage serving Mac files
All, I have an old Windows NT 4.0 server that serves files to various Windows users as well as a single Mac OSX laptop (10.3.9). Lately a problem has developed where the Mac user makes changes to an Excel spreadsheet that lives on the NT server and when they try to save their changes they are told the changes could not be saved and that Excel has written the changed file to, e.g., C035298 and they should rename that file to what they want and use it from then on. The Mac user then finds that they cannot open or write to the original file even though a Get Info on their Mac says they...

Create Files/ Upload Files
Hi Can anyone explain by example how to create a new file on server and then upload some files to that newly created folder? But before we create the file check that an existing file does not already exist and then upload the files to the newly created directory. Thanks Baka On Jun 26, 7:49 am, abhm <bak...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi > > Can anyone explain by example how to create a new file on server and > then upload some files to that newly created folder? > > But before we create the file check that an existing file does not > already exist and then upload the files to the newly created > directory. > > Thanks > Baka To get started, look at the manual page for the file command. file mkdir, for example, creates a folder. file exists tests for the existence of a file. At 2007-06-26 10:49AM, "abhm" wrote: > Hi > > Can anyone explain by example how to create a new file on server and > then upload some files to that newly created folder? > > But before we create the file check that an existing file does not > already exist and then upload the files to the newly created > directory. Here's an example of how to send a file upload *to* a URL: http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Tcl/Recipe/109363 To write a CGI script that receives an uploaded file, see: http://tcllib.sourceforge.net/doc/ncgi.html -- Glenn Jackman "You can only be young once. But you can always be imm...

File system filter driver to recieve every file create, read, write request
Hi, I want to make a file system filter driver that will recieve every request made to each and every file irrespective of the location of file, i.e. if any application makes any request to any file i want to recieve that request in my filter. Please tell me how and with which device/driver i need to attach my filter driver in DriverEntry function. Thanking you Gaurav Kumar Get IFS kit and start with Sfilter sample. -- Calvin Guan Software Engineer/Radeon NT Drivers ATI Technologies Inc. Markham ON, Canada www.ati.com "Gaurav" <Gauravk@nagarro.com&g...

file extention from file file location
Hi, I am new to perl (only working on this one problem) but I program in other languages. We have an upload script written in cgi. Can anyone tell me how to get the file extension from the variable $File1 (actual file location on uploader's computer) then find out if it is equal to "txt" Thanks in advance for not telling me to read the manual. Ron -- PLEASE NOTE: comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi is a SELF-MODERATED newsgroup. aa.net and boutell.com are NOT the originators of the articles and are NOT responsible for their content. HOW TO POST to co...

How to create PC File Description File(.FDF) for Client Access file transfer utility?
Hello Friends, I want to know how can i create PC File Description file (.FDF) that we give in File Transfer Utility of Client Access, while transfering any file from PC to AS400. What are the parameters of .FDF file and how can i create one to describe my PC file that is to be transfered? I would be grateful if you can guide me to some manual in which i can get this. Thanks in Advance for yr help in this regard. kind regards, Umer Assuming the file exists on the as400, use CA to download the file first and select create FDF option. If not, download any file and select FDF and loo...

Iteration through File.file? misses entries for which File.file?(entry) == true
Hello everyone, I'm new to Ruby, so I'm most likely making an elementary mistake. However, searching Google didn't help me find my answer, and after mucking around with irb I still haven't figured it out. I wrote a method that was intended to take all of the files in a given directory and put them into an array. Here's the code I wrote: def getFiles(dir) pwdFiles = Array.new Dir.foreach(dir) do |entry| pwdFiles.push(entry) if File.file?(entry) == true end end This works fine when called on the working directory --- that is, getFile...

File Permissions of PHP Session Files
Hi! I noticed that the file permissions (unix) of the PHP session files have only read and write permissions for the Apache process (600 or rw- --- ---). Does anyone have any idea where this permission is set ? I can't find any umask or chmod settings for it in the php.ini file. Can't find anything in the httpd.conf either. Is it set in the PHP code that implements session_start()? Thanks for any pointers Those files are created and modified by the the apache process, so you probably want the umask of that user (most likely "nobody"). Just out of curiosity, why do you...

Create AMP file from ACV file?
I need to create an AMP file from an ACV file. I.e, the AMP file should contain the mapping of every pixel, as Photoshop would interpolate a given ACV file in the Curves dialog. Is there a way of doing this, without using the SDK? I am using Photoshop 7.01. Thanks, Greg. Alternatively, if the algorithm Photoshop uses to interpolate an ACV could be made available, that would be just as useful to me.(in fact, it would be easier for me to use the algorithm than an AMP file) Greg. "Greg" <nospam@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:3feaed29$1@duster.adelaide.on.net... > I nee...

How to create a bst file from sty file?
Hi, Is it possible to create the bst file from the sty file? Thank you Hesh wrote: > Hi, > Is it possible to create the bst file from the sty file? > Thank you No. What are you trying to do? -- Joseph Wright On 2008-08-18 05:12:12 +0200, Hesh <heltaher@gmail.com> said: > Hi, > Is it possible to create the bst file from the sty file? Not exactly sure what you mean. A .bst file is written in its own language which has nothing to with LaTeX and serves a different purpose. The two document types have nothing in common. Simon On Aug 18, 1:48 am, Simon Spiegel <si...@remove.simifilm.ch> wrote: > On 2008-08-18 05:12:12 +0200,Hesh<helta...@gmail.com> said: > > > Hi, > > Is it possible to create the bst file from the sty file? > > Not exactly sure what you mean. A .bst file is written in its own > language which has nothing to with LaTeX and serves a different > purpose. The two document types have nothing in common. > > Simon I am trying to use a journal template: http://www.inderscience.com/www/download/LATEX-singlecolumn_18012007.zip I am using LyX and I was able to include the Document class, but the file gives the following error: ------------------------------------------------------------------- LaTeX Error: \newblock undefined. \begin{thebibliography}{15} Try typing <return> to proceed. If that doesn't work, type X <return> to quit. --------------------------------------------...

create a zip file with existing files in it
I try the zip example described in the doc. It worked that way. But now I want to add existing files to a new created zip. first the code <code> void OBApp::Test () { wxFFileOutputStream out(_T("C:\\test.zip")); wxZipOutputStream zip(out); wxTextOutputStream txt(zip); // ?? wxFileInputStream strFile("C:\\autoexec.bat"); wxString sep(wxFileName::GetPathSeparator()); zip.PutNextEntry(_T("C:\\autoexec.bat")); txt << _T("Some text for entry1.txt\n"); zip.PutNextEn...

how to copy a mac file that store in win2000 to other place while maintaining the file structure of mac?

unsafe map file (not file permissions ??)
When running 'sendmail -v -bi -d44.4' I am getting "...unsafe map file..." errors. (See output below). I have read all the archives I could find on the matter and they all suggest that the problem is related to file permissions. I have checked, double checked, triple checked the permissions and ownership of all the directories and file in the path to /etc/mail/aliases and can find no problems. I have also tried removing the old files, touch /etc/mail/aliases but get the same errors. What else could be wrong that would cause 'newaliases' to generate these errors? A great many thanks in advance for any insight or ideas in helping to resolve this problem. I'm completely baffled and don't know what else to try. -- Andy [root@server1 mail]# stat / /etc /etc/mail /etc/mail/aliases /usr/sbin/sendmail File: "/" Size: 4096 Blocks: 8 IO Block: 4096 Directory Device: 302h/770d Inode: 2 Links: 19 Access: (0755/drwxr-xr-x) Uid: ( 0/ root) Gid: ( 0/ root) Access: Sat Jul 19 04:02:30 2003 Modify: Tue Jul 1 09:30:40 2003 Change: Tue Jul 1 09:30:40 2003 File: "/etc" Size: 4096 Blocks: 8 IO Block: 4096 Directory Device: 302h/770d Inode: 229377 Links: 44 Access: (0755/drwxr-xr-x) Uid: ( 0/ root) Gid: ( 0/ root) Access: Sat Jul 19 04:02:31 2003 Modify: Sat Jul 19 18:08:53 2003 Change: Sat Jul 19 18:08:53 2003 ...

creating DBF file from text file
Dear all, I need to store pages delimited by FORMFEED character to Memo fields . each record is indexed by unique key such account number . Where can I find functions that deal with this matter ? On Mon, 6 Aug 2012 02:45:06 -0700 (PDT), happytoday <ehabaziz2001@gmail.com> wrote: >Dear all, >I need to store pages delimited by FORMFEED character to Memo fields . >each record is indexed by unique key such account number . >Where can I find functions that deal with this matter ? I'm a bit rusty now but isn't a simple matter of append from xxx.txt delimited with chr(whatever formfeed is ~ chr(12)?) Alternative progressively read the file picking out each block of text between each occurence of the formfeed character. -- AnthonyL Dear happytoday: On Monday, August 6, 2012 2:45:06 AM UTC-7, happytoday wrote: .... > I need to store pages delimited by FORMFEED character character 12. > to Memo fields . AnthonyL's method using "append from ... delimited with" is most elegant. This will generate one record for each page. An alternative might be to simply append the entire file into the memo field (memoread()). That way you always have all pages, in order, and one record for the entire "report". select <cMemoFileTableAlias> append blank replace AcctNo with Master->AcctNo replace RprtName with <cFileName> replace CaptureDt with date() replace ...

creating exe file of a m file
can anybody tell me how can we create exe file of matlab file it's urgent Hi hemant, check the manual for the MATLAB Compiler (if you have). Regards, Stefan hemant_gupta_mnit@rediffmail.com wrote: > > > can anybody tell me how can we create exe file of matlab file it's > urgent > Afraid to say you need to spend lots of money and purchase the Matlab compiler. Once you have that installed follow the online help and examples, else come back here if you are having specific problems, I am sure the guru's will offer some help. Regards Dave Robinson Use the MATLAB Compiler: http://www.mathworks.com/products/compiler <hemant_gupta_mnit@rediffmail.com> wrote in message news:1117086072.812685.289580@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com... > can anybody tell me how can we create exe file of matlab file it's > urgent > ...

Default File location for File Attachments
I am an ND6 users. I receive a Word document from a colleague. I decide to Edit the file. So I right click the file and choose Edit. Notes makes a temporary copy of the file in Documents and Settinngs\PhilipDay\LocalSettings\temp\Notes2CBB50 and then launches the file with whatever application is suitable. My questions is ... Can I set the location where the file is detached to? My users would prefer if it went to My Documents. They are used to that place. Thanks for reading On 5 Nov 2003 08:12:56 -0800, philip_a_day@hotmail.com (Philip) wrote: >I am an ND6 user...

Copying Files and retaining File Permission
Hi, I need to transfer files from ServerA to ServerB. ServerA is the domain controller, and ServerB is the Additional domain controller in the same domain. What is the easiest way to do this? There are folders with ACL granted to domain users. Server A - Windows 2000 Server Server B - Windows 2003 Server Domain - linx.local If I use traditional way to transfer files, it will lose all the permission, and stop halfway if the file is in use. Any software to skip file in use during copy and report the files in log files? I have heard of RoboCopy. Is it useful in this situation, and any guides ...

Copying Files and retaining File Permission
Hi, I need to transfer files from ServerA to ServerB. ServerA is the domain controller, and ServerB is the Additional domain controller in the same domain. What is the easiest way to do this? There are folders with ACL granted to domain users. Server A - Windows 2000 Server Server B - Windows 2003 Server Domain - linx.local If I use traditional way to transfer files, it will lose all the permission, and stop halfway if the file is in use. Any software to skip file in use during copy and report the files in log files? I have heard of RoboCopy. Is it useful in this situation, and any guides ...

How to create a .a ( archive ) file from multiple .a files
I m using HP UNIX I wanted to make a single archive file from multiple .a files by pulling in all the .o modules contained within each of these .a files. Thanks --sony sonyantony@hotmail.com writes: > I wanted to make a single archive file from multiple .a files by > pulling in all the .o modules contained within each of these .a files. And what is stopping you from doing that? mkdir tmp.$$ && cd tmp.$$ && ar x ../libfoo.a && ar xv ../libbar.a && ar r ../libcombined.a *.o && cd .. && rm -rf tmp.$$ Cheers, -- In order to unde...

Web resources about - setting default file permissions for every file created - comp.sys.mac.comm

Permission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Facebook Tests Allowing Users To Start Games Instantly, Bypass Permissions Dialog
Facebook game developers Zynga , Kixeye , and Electronic Arts reached agreements with Facebook to test a new “start now” feature, that allows ...

Why is the Messenger app requesting permission to access features on my Android phone or tablet? - Facebook-Hilfebereich ...
If you install the Messenger app on your Android, your phone or tablet should let you know that the app is asking for your permission to access... ...

Permissions Reference - Facebook-Entwickler
When a user authenticates your application, by default, your app gets the ability to read only the u...

Facebook tests ‘start now’ option to allow users to begin playing games without authorizing permissions ...
Some Facebook canvas games are testing a new “start now” function to let users begin playing games immediately without the roadblock of a permissions ...

OOPS: without Permission, Paul Ryan and Family Show Up Washing Clean Dishes at Ohio Soup Kitchen - YouTube ...
The head of a charity in Ohio is not pleased with Paul Ryan's photo op at a soup kitchen in Ohio, saying that the Romney campaign "ramrodded ...

Arafat's widow grants permission for Swiss lab to test poisoning theory
The Palestinian Authority also approved the probe, which was requested by Palestinian president Mahmoud Abbas after a media investigation found ...

LeBron James sought sons' permission before his return to Ohio
Before LeBron James could return home to the Cavaliers, he first had to clear it with his children.

Scientists seek permission to edit the genes of human embryos
British scientists have applied for permission to edit the genes of human embryos in a series of experiments aimed at finding out more about ...