V.90 or V.92

I have a Mini with Tiger and an OEM internal  V.92 modem.  I've switched
to an ISP offering V.92, but connecting still takes approximately 30
seconds.  Can Tiger tell me if I'm making a V.92 connection?
0
beadle1833 (66)
5/2/2006 10:04:35 PM
comp.sys.mac.comm 3057 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

In article <l6idnRlezfbmSsrZnZ2dneKdnZydnZ2d@flxtek.net>, sawney beane
<beadle1833@fmail.co.uk> wrote:

> I have a Mini with Tiger and an OEM internal  V.92 modem.  I've switched
> to an ISP offering V.92, but connecting still takes approximately 30
> seconds.  Can Tiger tell me if I'm making a V.92 connection?

Try Applications/Internet Connect -> Menu - Window -> Connection Log

Cheers,

Darrell

--
To reply, substitute .net for .invalid in address, i.e., darrell.usenet5 (at)
�telus.net
Darrell Greenwood wrote:
> [[ This message was both posted and mailed: see
>    the "To," "Cc," and "Newsgroups" headers for details. ]]
>
> In article <l6idnRlezfbmSsrZnZ2dneKdnZydnZ2d@flxtek.net>, sawney beane
> <beadle1833@fmail.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I have a Mini with Tiger and an OEM internal  V.92 modem.  I've switched
>> to an ISP offering V.92, but connecting still takes approximately 30
>> seconds.  Can Tiger tell me if I'm making a V.92 connection?
>
> Try Applications/Internet Connect -> Menu - Window -> Connection Log
>
> Cheers,
>
> Darrell

I haven't seen anything in the log that seems to say which protocol has
been established.
0
beadle1833 (66)

iBook internal modem unreliable using v.92 or v.90
I can't get a reliable dial-up connection using my iBook's (running OS X 10.2.8)internal modem using v.92 or v.90 - I have to use v.34, which limits my speeds to around 31.2 kbps. My desktop performa 6400 (running OS 9.1) connects fine at higher speeds (up to about 50 kbps) using it's internal 56K modem - it's frustrating when your 8 year old computer connects faster than your 1 year old computer. Any ideas for improving my performance over dial-up? Would an external modem work better? John ...

v.92 speed drops to v.34
For years I used external Kflex and v.90 modems on an old Mac. It normally connected around 52k although the exact speed would vary. While I was online the speed would sometimes drop back 5 or 10%. Now I have a PPC Mini with an internal v.92 modem. Internet Connect almost always says it connects at 52k. I don't understand the lack of variation, but downloads are pretty consistently 5.86kB/s. If it drops back, it drops 39% to 3.6kB/s. This happens whether I use the v.92 or the v.90 script. Could it be the modem? The modem driver? The scripts? ISPs? (A form or rationing when there's a lot of traffic?) In article <eucv5h$gcm$1@registered.motzarella.org>, Denominator <flash@invalid.invalid> wrote: > For years I used external Kflex and v.90 modems on an old Mac. It > normally connected around 52k although the exact speed would vary. While > I was online the speed would sometimes drop back 5 or 10%. > > Now I have a PPC Mini with an internal v.92 modem. Internet Connect > almost always says it connects at 52k. I don't understand the lack of > variation, but downloads are pretty consistently 5.86kB/s. > > If it drops back, it drops 39% to 3.6kB/s. This happens whether I use > the v.92 or the v.90 script. > > Could it be the modem? > The modem driver? > The scripts? > ISPs? (A form or rationing when there's a lot of traffic?) Modems "retrain" periodically. All modems do, ...

v.92 in Mac Mini
For years I had a computer with a V.90 external modem. I could usually download at 5.5kB/s or so, and in time the speed might be renegotiated down to 4.8 or so. Now I have a G4 Mini with v.92. It usually starts out downloading at 5.86kB/s. That may hold up for hours or minutes. When it renegotiates, it goes straight to 3.66. That's a lot less tolerable than 4.8. Do they all do that? Is it a problem with v.92 or a problem with Apple? ...

Safari v. Firefox v. Shiira v. Caminoi
Until today I have always come back to Safari. Latest Shiira seems equal. What say you all? -- Tim lance_1012@hotmail.com In article <qKKdndvs4s_i-YbZnZ2dnUVZ_sGdnZ2d@giganews.com>, Tim Lance <lance_1012@hotmail.com> wrote: > Until today I have always come back to Safari. Latest Shiira seems equal. > > What say you all? First impression: Yikes, I hope it handles security well. On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 20:33:50 -0600, Steven Fisher wrote (in article <sdfisher-19713A.18335017032006@shawnews.vs.shawcable.net>): > In article <qKKdndvs4s_i-YbZnZ2dnUVZ_sGdnZ2d...

ZOOM (3049) v.92/v.44 external modem questions
Has anyone had any experience with this modem using Warp? Particularly of concern is compatibility with existing apps such as InJoy v2.30 and FaxWorks Pro v3.00.01. What issues or additional needs, if any, are required to simply replace my USR v.everything? If there are any OS/2 specific issues that are not resolved, can anyone recommend another brand that works better? -- Best, Erick Andrews delete bogus to reply On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 11:07:54 UTC, "Erick Andrews" <eandrews@bogusstar.net> wrote: I have been using it for over a year now. I have no pro...

USR Courier V.Everything 2805/2806 and V.92 #2
USR doesn't want you to upgrade, they want you to buy a new modem! They also fear the load of modems that will come back that fail to upgrade due to user error or ones that were interrupted during the upgrade. This always happens and it is probably on the bottom of their priority list. -- Unregistered - Unregistered User ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ISP RANK Forums - http://www.isprank.com/forums View this thread: http://www.isprank.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=22915 ...

A/V Macs
It has been less than a month since I switched to OS X and I already miss my old Beige G3. I had to give it up for OS X. Which means that I also had to give up the A/V capability. That's the part that hurts. That was a great machine. Is there a newer A/V Mac that will run OS X? I thought one of the old gray and white G4s would. Which one was that? My preference would be to have one that boots in either OS X or OS 9. Computers should have RCA audio jacks and RGA video or S-video jacks in the back. In article <1131051421.607962.128480@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, "roj" &...

IDEs for COM scripting: C# v. Python v. Iron Python v. JPython
I love the typing assist I get when using C# in VS2005 to write COM clients. I need to write a program to automate some tasks in outlook. Givin that the typing assist feature is very important to me, what would be the best combination of IDE and language for COM scripting? I was experimenting with Groovy and Eclipse and was extremely pleased to discover that I get the typing assist with that combination. However, I'm getting an accvio with a minimal outlook COM client. I hear great things about Iron Python: is there a good IDE for it that has a typing assist? Thanks, Siegfried ...

Vintage Computer Festival 8.0 Saturday & Sunday, November 5-6 Computer History Museum Mountain View, California http://www.vintage.org/2005/main/ This is your complete VCF 8.0 event guide! Vintage Computer Festival 8.0 happens this coming Saturday and Sunday, November 5th and 6th, at the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, California. The doors open at 9:30am each day. Speaker sessions begin at 10:00am and run until 2:00pm. The exhibit and marketplace open at 2:00pm and run until 6:00pm. Admission is $12 per person per day for full event access, including the speakers, exhibits and marketplace, or $7 per person per day for exhibit and marketplace only (exhibit and marketplace open at 2:00pm each day). Parking is free, and kids 17 and under are admitted free of charge. Homebrew Computer Club Retrospective The VCF in conjunction with the DigiBarn Computer Museum is proud to present a 30th anniversary celebration of the founding of the Homebrew Computer Club, the legendary Silicon Valley institution that helped to launch the era of the personal computer. Bruce Damer of the DigiBarn Computer Museum will moderate this panel of former Homebrew members, including Steve Wozniak, Lee Felsenstein, Allen Baum, Len Shustek, Bob Lash and Michael Holley. Join the panel as they recount their experiences and gab with the group as we ...

VV V WWWWW .. V VV V 1.FROM XXXX##@.@#@X+X-X V @@@ ...

hello every one how can i make simple virus with vb6 "nattah" <motaznattah@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1172752386.310538.10010@8g2000cwh.googlegroups.com... > hello every one how can i make simple virus with vb6 > By now your seemingly pukka email address from the message header is winging it's way to the police. We will NEVER respond to this kind of message. Get a life!! "Ade" <adrian.birkett@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message news:9mAFh.9129$1E3.260@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk... > > "nattah" <motaznattah@yahoo.com&...

SNMP v.1 / v.3
Hello guys Does anybody know if IBM will not support SNMP *v.1* in the future? If've not heard anything rumouring but a customer is a bit concerned about it. I couldn't find anything related on ibm.com. Thanks in advance MGrd MGrd wrote: > Hello guys > Does anybody know if IBM will not support SNMP *v.1* in the future? > If've not heard anything rumouring but a customer is a bit concerned > about it. > I couldn't find anything related on ibm.com. > Thanks in advance > MGrd The beta for AIX 6.1 still has SNMP v1 support in it. So I think it is safe to s...

zinc v kom v swazoo?
how do they compare? ...

license v license v /license/
Nice paper: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1586580&download=yes (Why License Agreements Do Not Control Copy Ownership: First Sales and Essential Copies) I especially like this part: "When "license" is used as a noun in the copyright context, it means something like, "a grant by the holder of a copyright to another of any of the rights embodied in the copyright short of an assignment of all rights" as in "The agreement contained a license to reproduce 20 copies of the photograph." When "license" is used as a verb it typically means "to give permission or consent" as in "The author licensed her publication right to the nation's largest distributor." These uses of the word relate only to the intangible copyright. The word "license" is also, unfortunately, used in conjunction with tangible things. First, as a noun it is often used synonymously with the terms "agreement" or "contract" when that underlying agreement contains grants of copyright permissions, as in "Did she sign the license?" This usage seems to lead to confusion less often and I will not address it further here. However, particularly in the software context, the word "license" is used as a verb in yet another way that I wish to focus on. Software distributors often say, "We only license our software. We do not sell it." T...

110 V outlet to 220 V
Hello all, My wife brought several 220 V kitchen appliances when she moved from Europe to Canada. In our kitchen, there is an outlet which goes directly into the electric panel with its own breaker. I wonder whether I could change this outlet to become 220 V and if so, is it just a question of changing the breaker? Is it advisable to do so? I am aware of the risk to connect a standard 110 V appliance in this outlet. Thanks for the advice. -Scott Hire an electrician to install a 220 volt outlet. You cannot simply rewire a 120 volt outlet to 220 volt. When the proper receptacle is used you ...

S|ave 70% on V|igra, C|ialis, X|anax, V|alium, V|icodin, A|mbien! absent transformation
affluent mustard anthropology equal checksummed dodecahedron laugh yardage moore midwest cloakroom foxy cutthroat aegean emendable route umbilici mesopotamia collet bolivar longhand insular egypt serviceberry chimique ...

std::vector v. std::tr1::array v. std::tr1::shared_pointer v. boost::ptr_vector<Y>
Can someone help me identify some criteria for selecting between std::vector, std::tr1::array and using a custom deleter and boost::ptr_vector<Y>? Thanks, Siegfried -- [ See http://www.gotw.ca/resources/clcm.htm for info about ] [ comp.lang.c++.moderated. First time posters: Do this! ] On Jan 8, 9:50 pm, "Siegfried Heintze" <siegfr...@heintze.com> wrote: > Can someone help me identify some criteria for selecting between > std::vector, std::tr1::array and using a custom deleter and > boost::ptr_vector<Y>? > > Thanks, > Siegfried...

Bu|y V|agra , C|iallis, X|anax, V|alium, V|icodin, A|mbien online for big S|avings! caller earthmover
fogging veterinarian kovacs abbreviate barren leek cull evade divine baldwin fruition starchy eke boyar hammock admire amerada mamma proper argus exotic repulsive brasilia lyle ...

Equivalent of V$SQL_PLAN and V$SQL_PLAN_STATISTICS in Oracle8i
I do not see these views in Oracle8i, only in Oracle9i. Is there a way to find sql plans and staitistics in Oracle8i without running tkprof. I do not want to run tkprof for a specific session, instead I want to get all plans in some period of time. I know in Oracle Enterprise Manager I can use Oracle Top Sessions, connect to a Oracle8i database. I can see the top sql sessions, I can drill down and see the sql*plan. How does Oracle get this information in Oracle8i. I know in Oracle9i, one can get this information from v$sql_plan and v$sql_Plan_statistics, but my database is on Oracle8i. Thanks lot, Prem On 23 Aug 2004 19:40:44 -0700, premmehrotra@hotmail.com (Prem K Mehrotra) wrote: >I do not see these views in Oracle8i, only in Oracle9i. Is there a way >to find >sql plans and staitistics in Oracle8i without running tkprof. I do not >want to run tkprof for a specific session, instead I want to get all >plans in some period of time. > >I know in Oracle Enterprise Manager I can use Oracle Top Sessions, >connect to a Oracle8i database. I can see the top sql sessions, I can >drill down and see the sql*plan. How does Oracle get this information >in Oracle8i. I know in Oracle9i, one can get this information from >v$sql_plan and v$sql_Plan_statistics, but my database is on Oracle8i. > > >Thanks lot, > >Prem The requested facilities do not exist in 8i. period. -- Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA premmehrotra@hotmail.com (...

Date v Math as Instance v Static
Howdy All! I am trying to write a very brief comparison of the Date and Math objects in terms of instance v static objects. What I have below is my best so far. Any criticisms or suggestions are most welcome! Date is an instance object. You use Date by creating instances of it - you call methods on those instances. - you change data to do with each instance. Instance objects store state - meaning they hold data that may change over time. Math is a static object. You never create instances of it - you call methods on Math directly. - it never stores data for you: each method performs some mathematical computation and returns a result. It is up to you to store required data. Static objects can store state - but Math does not. Rob :) > I am trying to write a very brief comparison of the Date and Math objects in > terms of instance v static objects. What I have below is my best so far. Any > criticisms or suggestions are most welcome! > > Date is an instance object. > You use Date by creating instances of it > - you call methods on those instances. > - you change data to do with each instance. > Instance objects store state > - meaning they hold data that may change over time. > > Math is a static object. > You never create instances of it > - you call methods on Math directly. > - it never stores data for you: each method performs some mathematical > computation and returns a result. It is up to you to store requir...

v[j] > v[j + 1] ??
Does the above expression mean then value of the element i the array or the position in the array?? [7,5,3,2] The value of the element in position 0 is 7, the value of the element in position 2 is 3. But position 0 is less that position 2.... Hope someone can help! js JS wrote: > Does the above expression mean then value of the element i the array or the > position in the array?? > > [7,5,3,2] > > The value of the element in position 0 is 7, the value of the element in > position 2 is 3. But position 0 is less that position 2.... > > Hope someone can help! ...

Converting a rectangular matrix to a list and v.v.
Dear all, I would be grateful for any advice anyone might have on the following problem: How do I convert pairwise values stored as a data-set in the form of a list to a data set of rectangular matrix format and vice versa? Ie if the data are in data-sets of these formats: List COL1 COL2 COL3 A A Y A B Y B A Y B B Y Rectangular matrix COL1 COL2(A) COL2(B) A Y Y B Y Y Regards Paul Johnson Data Have ; Infile Cards ; Input Col1 $ Col2 $ Col3 $ ; Cards ; A ...

C-v and M-v stopped to work
Hello, All of a sudden, C-v and M-v no longer work. I've just a few changes and c= annot find where the actual error is. For instance, C-v makes paste. I us= e ubuntu 13.04. The .emacs and .bashrc are below. Any help greatly apprec= iated. Sincerely, Andre Luiz -------------------------- .emacs ----------------------------------------- ;; File name: ` ~/.emacs=20 ;; --------------------- ;; If you need your own personal ~/.emacs ;; please make a copy of this file ;; an placein your changes and/or extension. ;; Copyright (c) 1997-2002 SuSE Gmbh Nuernberg, Germany. ;; Author: Werner Fink, <feedback@suse.de> 1997,98,99,2002 ;; Test of Emacs derivates ;; ----------------------- (if (string-match "XEmacs\\|Lucid" emacs-version)=20 ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;; XEmacs ;;; ------ ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; (progn (if (file-readable-p "~/.xemacs/init.el") (load "~/.xemacs/init.el" nil t)) ) =20 ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;; GNU-Emacs ;;; --------- ;;; load ~/.gnu-emacs or, if not exists /etc/skel/.gnu-emacs ;;; For a description and the settings see /etc/skel/.gnu-emacs ;;; ... for your private ~/.gnu-emacs your are on your one. ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; (if...

V$DATABASE.resetlogs_change# = V$LOGS_HISTORY.thread# ???
Hi, new to the group and relatively new to Oracle. So be nice. Can anyone tell me if the value held in the view, V$DATABASE, in field, resetlogs_change#, will always equate to the value held by the %t variable used in the init?????.ora files. (e.g. log_archive_format='%t_%s_alog.0001') Thanks On 29 Jan 2004 04:56:37 -0800, peck@tissoft.co.uk (paule) wrote: >Hi, >new to the group and relatively new to Oracle. So be nice. > >Can anyone tell me if the value held in the view, V$DATABASE, in >field, resetlogs_change#, will always equate to the value held by the >%t variable used in the init?????.ora files. (e.g. >log_archive_format='%t_%s_alog.0001') > >Thanks The resetlogs_change# number you see is a system change number. Every transaction has it's own SCN. The SCNs are stored in redolog files, each redolog file has it's own *sequence number* which is incremented at every log switch. v$log_history.sequence# is reflected in the %s mask in log_archive_format. Your resetlogs_change# is between first_change# and next_change# of v$log_history look at http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/A87860_01/doc/server.817/a76961/ch392.htm#5466 The thread number is completely unrelated. The concept of a thread applies to Oracle Parallel Server/RAC installations where you have multiple instances opening the same database. Each instance has it's own thread. This is the thread number you see reflected in the %t variable. The thread num...

Web resources about - V.90 or V.92 - comp.sys.mac.comm

Brussels airport suicide bombers were 'Belgian brothers' as accomplice in white remains on the run
Belgian brothers Ibrahim and Khalid El Bakraoui have been named as the two airport suicide bombers who blew themselves up eight days after escaping ...

Apple’s new iPhone SE unlikely to make a splash in Asia despite low price
Apple’s newest addition to the iPhone family may be its cheapest phone yet at $399, but the four-inch iPhone SE isn’t likely to move the needle ...

How the FBI might hack into an iPhone without Apple’s help
NEW YORK (AP) — For more than a month, federal investigators have insisted they have no alternative but to force Apple to help them open up a ...

Google’s rumored iOS keyboard might be better than Android
When Apple finally allowed third party keyboards to be used on iOS, it opened up the flood gates for app developers to try and swoop in and conquer ...

World extra: Former Toronto mayor Rob Ford, 46, dies after fighting cancer
Press of Atlantic City World extra: Former Toronto mayor Rob Ford, 46, dies after fighting cancer Press of Atlantic City FILE - In this Oct. ...

The Syrian Electronic Army was careless with Gmail, Facebook
If you're a hacker, it's a good idea to stay away from Facebook and Gmail to communicate with your colleagues. Three men, who allegedly were ...

Supreme Court upholds workers' class-action verdict in setback for corporations
WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court dealt a setback to corporate America on Tuesday by upholding a nearly $6-million class-action verdict for a group ...

Nintendo is reportedly ending Wii U production this year
Nintendo launched the Wii U at the end of 2012, but sales have fallen far short of the company's expectations since then, and now a report claims ...

Making money is cool again for young Silicon Valley startups
Investors packed Y Combinator's prestigious Demo Day on Tuesday to listen to startups pitch their business. But those pitches had a different ...

Sarah Palin to Embark on New Gig: TV Judge
NBCNews.com Sarah Palin to Embark on New Gig: TV Judge NBCNews.com Former Alaska Governor and one-time GOP vice presidential candidate Sarah ...